Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Exhaust sound testing

Does anyone have the particulars on how MP does sound tests? I have seen tidbits of info on line and am curious to the process. One article I saw stated at idle, 50 feet away, another stated at idle without specifying. Some state it is a moving test, others state it is stationary...It seems about as clear as mud.

One also mentioned that you have 7 days to submit for testing yet I talked to someone the other day that was forced by a MP officer to take it immediately (the boat was found to be in compliance).

I have recently picked up a rather loud boat and immediately added what I believe to be appropriate sound suppression to it but want to know the rules just in case I ever encounter an issue.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I could tell you how it was done about 6 years ago, but someone said they have changed it since.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
sunsationdave

Default loud exhaust

Hello Codeman671
Back in 2001 I had to take a drive by test the mp were 50 ft away
Had to pass 2 times . I was 80 decables 82 was the limit . when the mp first caught me I had no mufflers on a single 496mag ho . they gave me 7 days
to take the test .I put mufflers on and passed at 80dbl one mp was in my boat and the other one was in the mp boat 50ft away. this is what they did to my friend last year .
my 2 sunsations
288 and/32ss both had mufflers and never had a problems with the mp
my new formula 310ss has 2/ 496mags with mufflers and captians call exhaust
it is below 82 either way.It was passed this year switchable exhaust as long as it is under 82 on newer boats. last weekend I noticed a GF boat at your dock. Yep thats me flying by with the blue 310ss formula hitting the air horn
anyways good luck with the GF boat . if the speed limit goes away I will have a new 36SSR with 700s
sunsationdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 1998

MP thought my Liberator 211 was loud. I had an appointment over by Timber Island for testing. One MP was in the boat with me. Another in an p-boat. They would take measurement at idle. Then I made a pass and a return pass at full throttle while being measured. Since I had an 1985, I has 2 decibel below the maximum. The law then was to measure at full throttle.

My grandfather/father's old vintage boat is wicked loud. No mufflers. They were never pulled over.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Skip

Smile These are the current requirements

Saf-C 403.23 Noise Level Testing Procedure.

(a) This section shall set forth the procedure to be used to measure marine engine noise levels, pursuant to RSA 270:36-40.

(b) The following instruments shall be used to measure decibel levels of marine engines and motors:

(1) A precision sound level meter that conforms to the specifications of ANSI S1.4-1983; and

(2) An external field test, such as a sound level calibrator.

(c) The test site shall be located in a calm body of water that is large enough to allow full speed pass-bys, as designated by the division.

(d) The area around the test site, for a minimum distance of 100 feet, shall be free of large obstructions, such as buildings, boats, hills, large piers, and breakwater walls.

(e) The test course shall consist of 3 small buoys, in a straight line.

(f) The test boat shall be positioned parallel to the test course, at a distance of 50 feet from the center buoy of the course. The bow and stern of a test boat shall be secured to moorings.

(g) There shall be a marine patrol officer on board each boat tested. The marine patrol officer shall stay on board each boat tested to verify that the boat was operated at maximum speed, pursuant to (k) below, for 2 of the pass-bys, during the noise level test.

(h) Calibration shall be as follows:

(1) The sound level meter used for the purpose of making measurements under this section shall be calibrated using an external field test;

(2) Field calibration of the sound level meter shall be made immediately before and after each test sequence;

(3) A notation of successful completion of the field calibration shall be made, by the person performing the calibration, on a noise test report form;

(4) An external standard calibration test shall be conducted annually on the sound level meter, and the external field test; and

(5) A copy of the external calibration test forms, filled out by the person(s) who performed the last external standard calibration, shall be evidence that the sound level meter and external field test were properly calibrated at the time of the noise level test.

(i) The ambient sound level, including wind effects, due to noise sources other than the vessel being tested, shall be measured immediately prior to the test sequence of the vessel to be tested. The value shall be recorded.

(j) The temperature, humidity, and windspeed shall be recorded. They shall be the current values available and reported by the National Weather Service at the nearest observation station to the site.

(k) The test shall consist of 4 passes along the test course of 3 buoys, at a distance of 1 to 3 feet from the buoys. The direction of travel shall be reversed between each run. The first 2 runs shall be at the boat's half throttle cruising speed, and the other 2 runs shall be at full throttle.

(l) During each test, all radio equipment shall be switched off. An officer shall hold the sound level meter 5 to 6 feet above the water with the microphone inclined approximately 70 degrees off horizontal, facing the center buoy of the test course. The results of each run shall be recorded by a marine patrol officer in the test boat.

(m) Each meter reading shall be obtained as the boat is within the boundaries of the test course, at the highest sound level for each speed.

(n) All values for (m) above shall be recorded, however, the sound level shall be the average of the 2 readings, rounded down to the nearest whole number.

(o) The officers conducting the noise level tests shall maintain a log sheet that records the following information:

(1) Name and address of owner of the boat;

(2) Date of birth of boat owner;

(3) The document that the officer checked for proof of identification of the boat operator;

(4) Names of officers conducting the test;

(5) Date and time of test;

(6) Location of test site;

(7) Weather conditions;

(8) Water conditions;

(9) Color of the boat being tested;

(10) Make and model number of boat being tested;

(11) Length of boat;

(12) Boat registration number;

(13) Hull number;

(14) Names or distinguishing marking on the boat;

(15) The result of the field test of the sound level meter;

(16) Direction of the test pass, either left or right; and

(17) Results of each test.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
MP thought my Liberator 211 was loud. I had an appointment over by Timber Island for testing. One MP was in the boat with me. Another in an p-boat. They would take measurement at idle. Then I made a pass and a return pass at full throttle while being measured. Since I had an 1985, I has 2 decibel below the maximum. The law then was to measure at full throttle.

My grandfather/father's old vintage boat is wicked loud. No mufflers. They were never pulled over.

Someone had said it has changed but that is the way it used to be. You get stopped, they "invite" you to go to Timber Island. The boat is not allowed to be used until the test is taken. THe MP boat is moored close to the island and one MP goes with the driver to make the passes. If you aren't less than the 82 decibels, then again you are not allowed to use your boat. You are allowed to go to the marina for the work. THe marina said we would pass the first time, but we didn't. Nor the second. I can't remember but it was three or four times before we finally got it quiet enough. And a lot of money too.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

I had to go through the Timber Island drill a few years ago with a 33 Baja with HP500s and stock exhaust. Failed the first test at 84. Schedule the second test for a week later, but MP cancelled it due to fog and its effects on measurements. Still can't use the boat. Final test (and I'm not condoning this ), I stuffed my tips with steel wool. Had to do 3 passes. First was at 78, second was at 80 and third was at 84. Average 82 and a pass. Voila, no more steel wool, or should I say evidence. Only risk is creating too much back pressure, so it took a little trial and error.

BTW, saw your post on OSO. Great boat, great deal.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
I had to go through the Timber Island drill a few years ago with a 33 Baja with HP500s and stock exhaust. Failed the first test at 84. Schedule the second test for a week later, but MP cancelled it due to fog and its effects on measurements. Still can't use the boat. Final test (and I'm not condoning this ), I stuffed my tips with steel wool. Had to do 3 passes. First was at 78, second was at 80 and third was at 84. Average 82 and a pass. Voila, no more steel wool, or should I say evidence. Only risk is creating too much back pressure, so it took a little trial and error.

BTW, saw your post on OSO. Great boat, great deal.
Wow, why didn't we think of that? Would have been a lot cheaper. Course then, we would have been stopped again and invited to test again..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
pjs1342

Smile

I thought this was about the law there trying to pass in the great state of NH for the motorcyle decibles....Don't let them NH people...Live Free or Die!!!
pjs1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
ITD

Live Free or Die, just do it without making an obnoxious racket.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-13-2011), chipj29 (08-13-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Steel Wool

This is Funny. Back in the 50s we used steel wool (Stuff it up the pipes) to quiet the "Glass Paks" we had on our Hot Rods. This was in NJ where state inspection was in STATE run facilities. We would drive to (near) the inspection site and then pull over and stuff steel wool into the tailpipes. Self tapping SS screws inserted crossways would keep the steel wool from blowing out too soon.

THEN: We would shut off the moter and PUSH the Hot Rod ..in increments up to the inspection building......In a line of cars waiting to be inspected.

.. Didn't want to Burn Out the steel wool before we got there.

It always worked.

I suspect the Officials saw us coming with our Hot Rod ..and looked the other way. We were never questioned. The last time I remember, the steel wool was melting down and puffing out of the tailpipes even as we were exiting the facility with our Sticker. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
jrc

A few years ago they added the abilty to do stationary tests, I don't know if they ever do them.

Why can't you guys just get the noise under the limit? One of the reasons we have a speed limit, is because too many of these boats are too loud.

270:37-a Stationary Sound Level Testing Authorized. –
I. The director or the director's agent may use stationary sound level testing to determine marine engine noise levels for boats. Such testing shall be conducted while boats are stationary on the water according to test SAE J2005.
II. Noise levels in decibels for stationary sound level testing shall be established for a specific distance between the boat tested and the testing device, at levels which correlate with noise levels in decibels, as set forth in RSA 270:37.
III. Testing procedures for stationary sound level testing shall be measured according to procedures established pursuant to rules adopted under RSA 270:39.
IV. Any test conducted pursuant to this section shall be sufficient to establish a violation of RSA 270:37.
Source. 1989, 143:6. 2006, 234:3, eff. June 1, 2006
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Speed

Can they ask you to make a full speed pass? MPHCan they give you a speeding ticket if you are over 45 on Winni during the test?

The good news is you passed the noise test, the bad news is here is a speeding ticket!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
A few years ago they added the abilty to do stationary tests, I don't know if they ever do them.

Why can't you guys just get the noise under the limit? One of the reasons we have a speed limit, is because too many of these boats are too loud.

270:37-a Stationary Sound Level Testing Authorized. –
I. The director or the director's agent may use stationary sound level testing to determine marine engine noise levels for boats. Such testing shall be conducted while boats are stationary on the water according to test SAE J2005.
II. Noise levels in decibels for stationary sound level testing shall be established for a specific distance between the boat tested and the testing device, at levels which correlate with noise levels in decibels, as set forth in RSA 270:37.
III. Testing procedures for stationary sound level testing shall be measured according to procedures established pursuant to rules adopted under RSA 270:39.
IV. Any test conducted pursuant to this section shall be sufficient to establish a violation of RSA 270:37.
Source. 1989, 143:6. 2006, 234:3, eff. June 1, 2006
We bought that boat as it was. We didn't know it was going to be too loud. And loudness wasn't even talked about then, at least I don't remember it.
Noone really knew how to quiet it down so we did one step at a time, finally getting it quiet enough.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Why can't you guys just get the noise under the limit?
Mine was stock, new boat and sold in NH by a dealer. I made the assumption that is was legal
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
jrc

I'm not trying to make too big a deal about 1 or 2 dB over the limit, the measurement isn't that accurate. But the law says a dealer can't sell a boat that is over the limit. He should fix it.

VB, it says full throttle not full speed. So as long as the run is short enough.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
tis

Maybe that is true today, the dealer can't see a boat that is over the limit. I don't know.

I think the MP felt sorry for us. The last time we tested, I think he was really rooting for us to pass. After we did, he thanked us for being so nice about the whole thing. He said some people aren't
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Can they ask you to make a full speed pass? MPHCan they give you a speeding ticket if you are over 45 on Winni during the test?

The good news is you passed the noise test, the bad news is here is a speeding ticket!
That was going to be my point too, can you state that you cannot exceed 45mph per the speed limit?

(c) The test site shall be located in a calm body of water that is large enough to allow full speed pass-bys, as designated by the division.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Skip

Quote:

No.

As long as you are following the instructions of the MP officer that is aboard with you.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
tis

We did full speed and a slower speed, maybe half speed. There was no speed limit then though.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Put me down for $100 for the defense fund for the first forum member who is forced to exceed the speed limit and then fails the sound test.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-15-2011), NHBUOY (08-15-2011), Top-Water (10-09-2016), VitaBene (08-14-2011), Webbsatwinni (08-19-2011), XCR-700 (08-18-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
NoBozo

Default Just Wondering

I guess the Target Boat here is the so called GFBLs...the 38' Fountains and Cigarettes...etc. I wonder HOW Many of these boats are actually on the lake. You don't launch a 38' Fountain at a launch ramp on a whim. SO: They are docked somewhere...and probably on a lift. Probably in the Weirs Channel or Paugus Bay area....with maybe a FEW at private residences on the lake.

Maybe some energetic person could jump in their Whaler and take a little putt around Weirs Channel and Paugus Bay. ..to see where the Perpetrators are................JUST to get a n IDEA How Many "Cowboys" there actually are......Nah..... We don't need to know, ..that would just ruin everything. NB
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
tis

We went to Meredith Bay via Weirs Saturday and I can tell you we saw quite a few Donzis and Bajas and even a couple of Fountains. Not huge ones. No Cigarettes though, but we did see a big Cigarette last weekend. I was happy to see these boats are not ALL gone off the lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Cal (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default 38 ft Baja

I have a friend with a 38 ft Baja who was tested, albeit incorrectly, and failed. It seems the officer stuck the probe under the swim platform and announced he failed. I don't really want to get into all he went through, but he had the summons thrown out. He has been asked twice since then to allow a voluntary test, and has declined. At this point, he feels, and I believe rightfully so, he is being targeted.

Bottom line is that when he is asked, he or his wife videos the encounter.

If you own a "be loud" boat, inform yourself of the proper procedures of the testing process, and make sure that these procedures are being adhered to.

BTW, my new boat is a GOBPQ...Goes OK But Pretty Quiet.
trfour (08-14-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Excellent point RG.

On the other hand, can these two or three NHMP sanctioned full-pedal WOT passes for a decibel/sound/safety check be requested by the owners of these "GFBL" boats.?

If I owned a "questionably loud" GFBL, I would want to know BEFORE I got out there that my boat was legal, BEFORE commiting to, say, a week long vacation at the Lake.

Can I change props, check timing, change/sync fuel pressure(s), and request the lightest NHMP officer to ride along.?

Too bad outboards comply. I would call and make an appointment. I need some WOT time to finalize the set-up on a boat I'm dialing-in for NJ.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Excellent point RG.

On the other hand, can these two or three NHMP sanctioned full-pedal WOT passes for a decibel/sound/safety check be requested by the owners of these "GFBL" boats.?

If I owned a "questionably loud" GFBL, I would want to know BEFORE I got out there that my boat was legal, BEFORE commiting to, say, a week long vacation at the Lake.

Can I change props, check timing, change/sync fuel pressure(s), and request the lightest NHMP officer to ride along.?

Too bad outboards comply. I would call and make an appointment. I need some WOT time to finalize the set-up on a boat I'm dialing-in for NJ.

I don't think it works that way. It is a test, you pass or fail. We lost that boat for most of the summer. Finally passed I think it was early October, the last test of the year.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
NHBUOY

Talking

Hey Tis, glad you got the tongue-in-cheek humor.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I have a friend with a 38 ft Baja who was tested, albeit incorrectly, and failed. It seems the officer stuck the probe under the swim platform and announced he failed.
That is exactly what happen back in 1998. I was launching my boat at Glendale when an officer came over from headquarters and stuck the probe right right up the exhaust.

Funny, I can only remember a pass and a return pass. Not 4 that Skip mentioned.

Looks like with the SL in place, the officer on board the boat calling the shots, you can't be ticketed for going over the speed limit.

Looks like I found a way to break the SL legally! =)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
NoBozo

I'm thinking IF..you are pulled over in your GFBL..for a sound infraction..the MP may be just looking for a WOT RIDE in your HOT BOAT..even if you are not a real canidate for a summons. YUP. Lots of people like a free ride.... NB

PS: SKIP maybe should refrain from commenting here because HE..has been on the ULTIMATE RIDE..On an SSBN. ...or was it an SSN....?? I envy SKIP...and Salute him for his service back in the day.

PPS: SSBN, SSN: Nuclear Submarine. US Navy.

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
Skip

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm thinking IF..you are pulled over in your GFBL..for a sound infraction..the MP may be just looking for a WOT RIDE in your HOT BOAT..even if you are not a real canidate for a summons. YUP. Lots of people like a free ride.... NB

PS: SKIP maybe should refrain from commenting here because HE..has been on the ULTIMATE RIDE..On an SSBN. ...or was it an SSN....?? I envy SKIP...and Salute him for his service back in the day.

PPS: SSBN, SSN: Nuclear Submarine. US Navy.
Ayuup....SSBNs for me.

And as a Sonar Supervisor I actually preferred loud boats back then, actually the louder the better...especially when making preparations for coming up to periscope depth!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #31
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Ayuup....SSBNs for me.

And as a Sonar Supervisor I actually preferred loud boats back then, actually the louder the better...especially when making preparations for coming up to periscope depth!
I worked for a defense contractor that made SATCOM sonobuoys for our submarines. I was always on a surface ship for the tests in San Diego (I know I would have claustrophobia issues!!).

Kudos to those that deploy underwater- it must be a tough life.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Submariners are a special breed. I myself don't believe I could deal with months of being under the water... I think I could take it for a few days, and think the entire things was a great experience, but I would probably go nuts after a week....

Anyways back to the subject at hand.... When you think about the number of boats on the lake, with through hull exhaust and the number of boats that end up being tested...I wonder what the percentage is like. There are many questionable boats that I know off... 3 of which reside on the same road as I do... but I know none of them have ever gotten tested.....
Old 08-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #33
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsationdave View Post
Hello Codeman671
my 2 sunsations
288 and/32ss both had mufflers and never had a problems with the mp
my new formula 310ss has 2/ 496mags with mufflers and captians call exhaust
it is below 82 either way.It was passed this year switchable exhaust as long as it is under 82 on newer boats. last weekend I noticed a GF boat at your dock. Yep thats me flying by with the blue 310ss formula hitting the air horn
anyways good luck with the GF boat . if the speed limit goes away I will have a new 36SSR with 700s
Ahh, so you are the mystery formula that keeps beeping. I had no idea who it was. The 36SSR is sweet. I was looking to go Sunny this time but the Sonic was a great deal, even with the work it needed it complete it. I am hoping to launch it again tomorrow. We went with Hardin mufflers which quieted it down a lot. It had a nasty bark before.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #34
jrc

Thanks, Skip! I won't miss an opportunity to thank Skip and his brothers at arms for their service to this country.

Back to sound testing, I've made the point before that the laws are sporadically enforced and troublesome even if enforced. I really think the dealers should be held more accountable for the boats they sell. How often is this law enforced?

270:38 Certification of Marine Engines. – Any marine engine manufactured after December 31, 1976 and offered for sale in this state shall be certified to the director as having been tested and found not to exceed the noise levels prescribed in RSA 270:37, I. An outboard motor shall be certified by the motor manufacturer. Any other marine engine shall be certified by the boat manufacturer if it is offered for sale in combination with a boat or by the engine manufacturer if it is not offered for sale in combination with a boat.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Thanks, Skip! I won't miss an opportunity to thank Skip and his brothers at arms for their service to this country.

Back to sound testing, I've made the point before that the laws are sporadically enforced and troublesome even if enforced. I really think the dealers should be held more accountable for the boats they sell. How often is this law enforced?

270:38 Certification of Marine Engines. – Any marine engine manufactured after December 31, 1976 and offered for sale in this state shall be certified to the director as having been tested and found not to exceed the noise levels prescribed in RSA 270:37, I. An outboard motor shall be certified by the motor manufacturer. Any other marine engine shall be certified by the boat manufacturer if it is offered for sale in combination with a boat or by the engine manufacturer if it is not offered for sale in combination with a boat.
So any boat manufactured before 1976 are not certified at all?? No wonder the old classics are noisy. There is an old late 60's small Cigarette around the Welch Island area that is really noisy!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #36
jrc

BH the law I copied says that boat engines made after 1976 have to be certified to meet the sound limits by the builder before they are sold. All boats have to meet the sound laws, but the laws give a small amount of slack to older boats.

270:37 Decibel Limits on Noise. –
I. No person may operate, sell, or offer for sale any marine engine which is capable of being operated in a manner which exceeds the following noise levels measured under any testing procedure established pursuant to rules adopted under RSA 270:39:
(a) For a marine engine manufactured in or before 1990, a noise level of 90 decibels when subjected to stationary testing.
(b) For a marine engine manufactured after December 31, 1990, a noise level of 88 decibels when subjected to stationary testing.
(c) For a marine engine manufactured in or before 1990, a noise level of 84 decibels on the "A'' scale, measured at 50 feet.
(d) For a marine engine manufactured after December 31, 1990, a noise level of 82 decibels on the "A'' scale, measured at 50 feet.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #37
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
So any boat manufactured before 1976 are not certified at all?? No wonder the old classics are noisy. There is an old late 60's small Cigarette around the Welch Island area that is really noisy!
The OLD classic (original) Race BOATS become like ANY Ferrari. They are driven only very infrequently. Ferraris are valued by how many miles they DON'T have on their odometer. Look at any Ferrari FOR SALE..the mileage is usually WAY below 10K MILES...no matter what the year.

Classic Original boats are the same. Some may have TWO seperate engines. One engine may be the original (Very Valuable) antique..the second engine is a modern engine that is swapped in to use the boat a little more often.

The Replicas: Mark Mason (New England Boat & Motor..Laconia) is building Replicas of OLD Race Boats from the Twentys and Thirtys. He offers ready to go hulls...and YOU put in whatever power you want. OR..He will do it for you. He is currently running a white hulled boat (G-36) named IMPSHI.

In the past he restored ...and owned the Original Baby Bootlegger with an original 625 ci Hispano Suiza V8, for over 25 years. Now sold. NB

http://www.newenglandboatandmotor.com/

THE POINT IS: If you have an OLD Classic, (Car, Boat, Motorcycle, Airplane..)to maintain the value of your Classic, you don't drive it much..or the value will go down.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
NHBUOY

To some of us, the sounds from these boats is beautiful noise.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-17-2011), Grandpa Redneck (08-17-2011), Shreddy (08-17-2011), Wolfeboro_Baja (08-17-2011), XCR-700 (08-18-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #39
Belmont Resident

Default Fyi

My totally stock Baja will not pass unless it is warmed up. Once it’s warmed up it actually dropped 4-5 db when tested following the exact procedure for a hand held unit.
It went from 2 over to 2-3 under the limit. Apparently it takes a while for full water flow thru the exhaust to fully quiet it down.

Paugus Bay Resident come on you knew that boat was excessively loud way before they bagged you. Ya couldn’t even tell mine was running when yours was next to it.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #40
lawn psycho

Nobozo, it always amazes me the stuff people have sitting in their garages.

My neighbor has a 1980s Datsun 280z that is mint and sits in the garage under a cover and on dollies.

I have a 1985 Honda VF 1000R with 4800 miles on it. Everything on the bike is stock and other than trips around the culdesac it's not even ridden. Too many hobbies kills me and I know I'm not alone.

Very like classic boat owners are an obsessive bunch as there are not many places to get replacement parts and they cost as much as jewelry.

My next purchase will be a vintage JD mower.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
sunsationdave

Default loud exhaust

Hello Codman671
Yea I thought that was a sonic I always liked them almost bought one before my 288 sunsation. Im sure you got a good deal on it
Im looking at the new 327 chapparell. nice boat it is a design like your monterey you had bow rider/ cuddy check it out on line
goodluck with the sonic . know that you know it is me no more blowing by with the horn
sunsationdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
My totally stock Baja will not pass unless it is warmed up. Once it’s warmed up it actually dropped 4-5 db when tested following the exact procedure for a hand held unit.
It went from 2 over to 2-3 under the limit. Apparently it takes a while for full water flow thru the exhaust to fully quiet it down.
That's what happened in 1998. I launch the boat from winter storage. It takes a few minutes for the water to flow. The MP was jumping all over me!

Since then, I never launch a boat from Glendale from winter storage.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
Belmont Resident

Default Thats the problem with MP

To many youngsters with zero knowledge of boating are given a job of enforcing boating laws and many times they are trained by those they pull over.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-18-2011), Smith Point (08-25-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #44
Treerider

Default loud Boats

Sad that the MP runs around wasting all this time while THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of motorcycles blast throughout the state with NO muffled exhaust whatsoever......Pitiful tax collecting scheme shaking down loud boats, to keep justifying the existence of the MP
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treerider View Post
Sad that the MP runs around wasting all this time while THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of motorcycles blast throughout the state with NO muffled exhaust whatsoever......Pitiful tax collecting scheme shaking down loud boats, to keep justifying the existence of the MP
I think the SP and local PD should be cracking way down on motorcycles. (and I have an HD).
Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #46
Shreddy

Quote:
I think the SP and local PD should be cracking way down on motorcycles. (and I have an HD).
Eaaasssyyyy...my bike isn't the quietest
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #47
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Eaaasssyyyy...my bike isn't the quietest
I understand, but your bike is likely legal. Mine is not stock but it is not obnoxious (IMO)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #48
Gavia immer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I could tell you how it was done about 6 years ago, but someone said they have changed it since.
Noise testing isn't done at an idle now?
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote