Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
BlackCatIslander

Default Sam and Rosie's last day

We were told that Sam and Rosie's is closing today. Apparently they are looking for another location. We love their lobster rolls. They are as good or better than any in the region. I hope that they are successful in finding a new location in the general area.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I love Sam & Rosie's also. I hope they find another place close by. They will be missed.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
RLW

Smile

I'm sorry, but have never heard of them. Where were they located and if they do relocate please post the new location.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
Janet

Noooooo! What would a trip to the lake be like without going by boat to Sam and Rosie's for breakfast

RLW - they were located in Center Harbor just up the hill from the public beach and the Mount's winter dock on Route 25.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
RLW (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
MarkinNH

Most people will always remember it as "Sam & Rosie's" but in actuality the sign was changed and it is/was called just "Rosie's" for quite some time.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
NHskier

We have had some great lunches there, including their excellent lobster rolls. I sure hope they can locate close to the docks area!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Why the Move?

Can't understand why they would want to move?? Wouldn't the location they are currently at be considered pretty darn good??

Good luck to them! I always enjoyed stopping there by boat!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Can't understand why they would want to move?? Wouldn't the location they are currently at be considered pretty darn good??

Dan
I really don't know, but since this is the internet I'll speculate. I'm thinking rent went up or the landlord wanted the space for another business. Either way, I hope they find a place nearby, I love their Lobster Rolls.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
MarkinNH

Local word has it that the "Mug" which is currently located up by Dunkin Donuts, is going to be moving into the soon to be vacated "Rosie's" location.
I am of the understanding that Rosie's location is going to require a fair amount of upgrading in order to bring it up to current code requirements.
I also just heard the other day that the Mug was unable to break their current lease, so I don't know how that might effect their relocating.
I also don't know for a Fact how much of anything I have heard or been told is true, as we all know how rumors can fly.

Oh, and I also heard that "Rosie's" was "possibly" going to be moving into the old Broken Antler location near the lights in Meredith.

That's it. I am pretty much out of gossip.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I believe there was a divorce.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I believe there was a divorce.
That will do it!!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I will stay out of the divorce speculation... I will discuss what I know however...

I have been a faithful customer of Sam and Rosie's or Rosie's for several years now... They have always run a great business and for the money I don't think you could ask for better food. What I do know is that they are being forced out of the location. Be it for higher rent or what ever I don't know... However they hadn't planned on closing, but they can't stay in that location for whatever reason.

I also know that there is a hope that they will re-open. They are looking for a location where they will have a better chance at foot traffic, and still be accessible by boat....Meredith is the prime hope.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Default Sam & Rosie's

This place will be missed...it was one of my very favorite breakfast places to go by boat. I wish them all the luck in the world in finding a new location.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Hope

I do hope that S&R (R) will find a new location that suits them, and enables all of us to continue enjoying their fine culinary delights, in particular their lobster rolls, which are by far the best I have ever tasted.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
donnamatrix

Default Moving to Meredith?

I agree that Rosie's had the BEST lobster rolls in the world, and also, the homemade soups were terrific. I was terribly disappointed to see a sign in the window of the Antler in Meredith (corner of Plymouth St) announcing that an antique store will soon be residing in that spot. Bummer. I was hoping that Rosie's Cafe would be moving into the space, it's a perfect spot: lots of foot traffic, right near the docks. If anyone learns where Rosie is going to end up, please let everyone know.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
I agree that Rosie's had the BEST lobster rolls in the world, and also, the homemade soups were terrific. I was terribly disappointed to see a sign in the window of the Antler in Meredith (corner of Plymouth St) announcing that an antique store will soon be residing in that spot. Bummer. I was hoping that Rosie's Cafe would be moving into the space, it's a perfect spot: lots of foot traffic, right near the docks. If anyone learns where Rosie is going to end up, please let everyone know.
I would think that would be a tough corner had the moved there with what would be three good diner type places in close proximity. Hopefully they will find their new home!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
nahgem521

Default Clearing up a few things

Hello everyone,

This is Meghan, Sam & Rosie's daughter. As of right now we don't have a location to move to. We were thinking about moving to Zacky's but it's going to cost us money that we don't have at the time. Rosie is, however looking for a business partner to help reopen a "Rosie's". Yes, the divorce is true, but it was something long in the making. That isn't the reason for us closing though. Our landlord did force us out so that the "mug" could go in there. So, if anyone has any ideas or would like to help us out. Anyone can email me with thoughts/ideas nahgem521@yahoo.com.

P.S. Mom and I miss EVERYONE and hopefully look forward to seeing you all in the future
nahgem521 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nahgem521 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (11-18-2011), MarkinNH (11-17-2011), Redwing (12-19-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Formula

Default New location

I miss the food and the company!
Sorry to hear about the divorce.
I wish you well on your search for a new location (did you try the laundry mat down the street ?)
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
MarkinNH

Hopefully we will see a Rosie's sign appear in a new location soon. The right place is out there and I am sure you guys will find it. Were all rootin for you !
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahgem521 View Post
Hello everyone,

This is Meghan, Sam & Rosie's daughter. As of right now we don't have a location to move to. We were thinking about moving to Zacky's but it's going to cost us money that we don't have at the time. Rosie is, however looking for a business partner to help reopen a "Rosie's". Yes, the divorce is true, but it was something long in the making. That isn't the reason for us closing though. Our landlord did force us out so that the "mug" could go in there. So, if anyone has any ideas or would like to help us out. Anyone can email me with thoughts/ideas nahgem521@yahoo.com.

P.S. Mom and I miss EVERYONE and hopefully look forward to seeing you all in the future
Meghan-- Anson's mom & dad miss seeing you and the family.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
Lakenutforlife

Default Sam & Rosie's is an irreplaceable icon in Center Harbor

As a full time resident for several years, I had the pleasure of enjoying my frequent visits to Sam & Rosie's Cafe for morning coffee and treats or the occasional breakfast. The attractive family and local atmosphere they created was unicque and can never be duplicated by the Mug. The sad thing is that they had to go through several variances and town exceptions to even receive town approvals to run their business as a full fledge restaurant was not allowed in that location with Town zoning. Furthermore, they invested a lot of money into the location to improve the original inside decor and structure. Of course the greedy landlord has seen their success and is now demanding more rent even during the continued times of a recession and struggling economy both local, state and national. May he suffer for his greed and action to demand an unaffordable increase that Rosie could not continue her lease and business. Furthermore, the Mug has never had good ratings since there arrival in Center Harbor. Their Meredith location is of a totally different atmosphere and clientelle than the needs and customers Sam & Rosie attracted to their business in Center Harbor. The Mug may steal their location but they will never be able to steal Rosie's success in that location and the memories created for so many patrons. I hope the Mug fails big time in that location as they certainly deserve failure along with the landlord. Hopefully the Flooring place decides to relocate to create more empty space. Apparently, he is so out of touch with the current times. You have a great family Sam & Rosie and I hope you are able to continue your venture in a new location soon. I really hate to see you move to join the overabundance of restaurants in Meredith however there is very limited breakfast selection besides George's. Quite frankly, the Zach's Pizza location seems like a "drive by" location and too much hassle to stop with all the traffic on Route 25 in Meredith. Best wishes to all of you for the holidays and New Year.
Lakenutforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
sa meredith

Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakenutforlife View Post
As a full time resident for several years, I had the pleasure of enjoying my frequent visits to Sam & Rosie's Cafe for morning coffee and treats or the occasional breakfast. The attractive family and local atmosphere they created was unicque and can never be duplicated by the Mug. The sad thing is that they had to go through several variances and town exceptions to even receive town approvals to run their business as a full fledge restaurant was not allowed in that location with Town zoning. Furthermore, they invested a lot of money into the location to improve the original inside decor and structure. Of course the greedy landlord has seen their success and is now demanding more rent even during the continued times of a recession and struggling economy both local, state and national. May he suffer for his greed and action to demand an unaffordable increase that Rosie could not continue her lease and business. Furthermore, the Mug has never had good ratings since there arrival in Center Harbor. Their Meredith location is of a totally different atmosphere and clientelle than the needs and customers Sam & Rosie attracted to their business in Center Harbor. The Mug may steal their location but they will never be able to steal Rosie's success in that location and the memories created for so many patrons. I hope the Mug fails big time in that location as they certainly deserve failure along with the landlord. Hopefully the Flooring place decides to relocate to create more empty space. Apparently, he is so out of touch with the current times. You have a great family Sam & Rosie and I hope you are able to continue your venture in a new location soon. I really hate to see you move to join the overabundance of restaurants in Meredith however there is very limited breakfast selection besides George's. Quite frankly, the Zach's Pizza location seems like a "drive by" location and too much hassle to stop with all the traffic on Route 25 in Meredith. Best wishes to all of you for the holidays and New Year.
Although your post is meant to be one of compassion and sympathy, it is quite the opposite. "I hope The Mug fails big time, along with the landlord, as they deserve failure"????!!!! REALLY?
I am sure I will be villified for this post, but whatever...
The landlord did not buy the property to be warm and fuzzy...to be a do gooder...to spread love and cheer...guess what? he bought it TO MAKE MONEY. He may indeed have gambled, mortaged his and his family's future, to take a shot at the good life, bought some commercial real estate, and needs it to turn max profit. Possibly he owns several properties, at at one time his arraigment with S and R was satisfactory...but maybe now some are vacant, and he needs to max out where he can. There are a million scenarios.
Perhaps S and R could have offered to buy the property. And therefore assume the risks.
This post is near and dear to me...we own 3 rental properties, and 1 has been vacant over a year...I am carrying it as best I can, but am well behind.
I had a chance to more than double my income, with a new tenant (hint: Donut Company) on the best of the 3 properties when their lease matured. More than double it! Which would have helped me with the property that is vacant (mortgage, heat, electricy, insurace...you'd be surprised what it cost to insure a vacant building, not an easy thing to do) . Anyway, under immense pressure, socially and morally, I agreed to renew the current tenant, with a modest 10 percent increase, and give them 3, instead of 2, years. With the other tenant, $$$ would have never been an issue.
Guess what...the renewed tenant has not paid me in 3 months (Oct Nov Dec), with a 4rth now due. I approach it with a smile, and a "please...do something for me." He replies with a stack of bills, and saying he just does not know where the customers have gone. And, of course, I reply with "What's with the 2011 Ford Explorer he is driving". So, I continue to grind away at my 45/50 hour per week job, to pay everything as best I can.
lakenutforlife...buy some properties, and then post opinions like the one you did. IT'S GOOD FUN!

Wrote this post Saturday...now it is Sunday morning...in the interest of full disclosure, I need to add something. I wanted to make my point yesterday, and think I did...but I should add that the tenant in the prime retail space has indeed often run 30/60/90 days out, and always makes good. Always. It is just that, knowing that I passed on a much better deal, I was hoping that I no longer would have to finance his business for him, during rocky times of year. I mean, it's not like I get something extra during the "fat" months.
Anyway...felt bad, portraying the guy as a stiff. He can be slow, but always squares up.

Last edited by sa meredith; 12-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (12-18-2011), jkjoshuatree (12-17-2011), Lucky1 (12-30-2011), MarkinNH (12-26-2011), MeredithNeck (12-17-2011), Pineedles (12-19-2011), Ropetow (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
wifi

Default Its rough all over

For the landlord that has $$ tied up in a mortgage or the business owner that has invested a lot in infrastructure and is trying to recover his/her monthly payments with little or no profit.

We need to try to frequent local businesses that are trying to keep afloat despite this economy and not dwell with finger pointing on facts we can't know about.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
camp guy (12-18-2011), Pontoon Goon (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
jogator1

I'm with you SA. Everyone should own a business or be a landlord before they start complaining. Until you've done it you'll never understand the trials and tribulations involved.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
nahgem521

Default landlord

I understand where you are coming from SA, but in being a landlord yourself would you do any of the following:

Make the tenant pay for things that you should be responsible for such as a sewer pump, hot water tank, an awful leak in the back that when it rains it floods out back that he wont fix, know that when the business opens at 6 and there's 10 inches of snow on the ground wait until 12 in the afternoon to come plow, kick the tenant out in 2 weeks without even thinking about the tenant.

I'm sure owning a building is tough, but as you said you always have a smile on through tough situations. He's an ass to be blunt and only cares about himself.
The bookstore moved out also to get away from him since he doesn't do ANYTHING to even qualify as a landlord. If times are SOO bad for him then maybe he shouldn't have expanded his business into where the bookstore was and rented that space out as well. AND maybe he shouldn't have added a huge addition onto his house last summer and bought 2 brand new vehicles this year. Just because he goes on spending splurges doesn't mean he should take it out on the business owners.
nahgem521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
jogator1

All of those issues should be spelled out in the lease. Just to give you an example I have 3 different buildings I lease from 3 different landlords. At one my lease clearly states I am responsible for the air conditioning, at another the landlord is responsible. At a third building/office my landlord does everything (he even changes the fluorescent light bulbs).
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
NHTom

I remember when sam and rosie worked at the little store that is now the canoe/kayak place. They made great sandwiches even back then.......must have been 98/99

NHTom
NHTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
ccw1844

Default Rats!

Rats that they are clsoing... Not that they had any....

We just found this place last summer. My wife and 3 girls really loved the food and the atmosphere. Nice easy walk from the docks and breach.

I travel a lot and try to frequent the local establishments, as they are somewhat a dying breed. Way too many franchises with little to no personality.

I wish them luck and will be sure to pay them many visits if they open elsewhere.
ccw1844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #29
guntrain44

Smile Rosie's

Quote:
Hello everyone,

There is a place at the begining of the weirs that is looking for a year round group to keep the building open. It is right next to Gilbeke's garage, great location....!! Good Luck !! Partner: call Spike 387-6128
guntrain44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #30
GTO

Default The Mug

Went by the location this weekend and on the big blue awning on the front says:" Mug by the Bay"
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #31
Janet

Too bad. Rosie's was a favorite of our family.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
winniboy

Quote:
Hello everyone,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COME SOMEWHERE. Meredith would be AMAZING because i go through there the most lol. I love the food, and the fried dough is amazing. I will eat there everyday if you go to Meredith.
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote