Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
billhurley

Default Selling a Jet Ski ?

I was wondering how people usually handle the paperwork when selling a Jet ski. I would think you would give the buyer a bill of sale and a copy of the current registration. How do you make sure the buyer changes or updates the registration to their name?

Thanks in advance Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
wifi

FWIW, I make a duplicate of the BOS, make them sign, date and put the time of day with their address and keep that for my records as proof of who bought it and when.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
billhurley

Thanks Wifi.

I was also wondering about the trailer. It was so long ago when I registered it for the first time. Is a bill of sale and the old registration good enough for the new owner to register it? It shouldn't need a title, but I don't remember if it had a certificate of origin.

Thanks Bill
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
codeman671

NH is pretty lax on this, however other states are not. I had a buyer last year walk away on a deal because I did not have the certificate of origin for the PWC, even though in NH it is a useless piece of paper. A proper bill of sale is all that is needed, you dont even need the registration if it is not currently registered. Make sure it has complete buyer and seller name and address, price, model, color, HIN#, date and both signatures are on it. The trailer is similar, except you would need info from the tag on it such as the gvw and the vin# instead of hin#.

Many other states require titling of both in which case the certificate of origin would be needed in order to do a title app.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
billhurley

Thanks Codeman671

That will help.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
meredith weekender

Default trailer title

In NH you only need a title for the trailer if the total weight of the trailer and its cargo exceeds 3,000 lbs. Just found this out yesterday as I was registering a car trailer that I had just purchased. Hope this helps.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Codeman brings the biggest most important point to the table. NH is kind of relaxed when it comes to boats, Jet ski, etc. other states are not. So you should always try and keep as much of the paper work as possible.

Now as for the registration and make sure the new owner registrars it.... humm that is an interesting one......... If the machine has current stickers and the new owner doesn't cause any trouble no one would ever know..... However if they are caught.... you what to make sure you have copies of everything so you can show you handed ownership over to them.......
Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
meredith weekender

If you sell your boat or jet ski (pwc) and it is currently registered. The easiest way to remove yourself from liability is to physically remove the current validation stickers from the boat or watercraft. This way the boat is not registered and therefore you are not liable.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
billhurley

Thanks meredith weekender. That is a good idea.