Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
jrc

Default Paddle Boats

I'm looking for a small boat to do so fishing and just explore some quiet areas. I'm not looking for transportation or crossing the lake just putting around Smith cove, or around the boat when anchored. So I've been asking myself these questions:

Canoe, Kayak or sit-on-top kayak?
I have a big heavy canoe that I use for river fishing but I want something smaller and lighter. I'm thinking that a kayak is lighter and a sit-on-top is lighter still. Plus is a sit-on-top easy to reboard.

What's a good brand?
I see prices from $400 to $1400, other than size what's important to look for?

I'm thinking about carrying it on the swim platform or on the bow of my cruiser, any one else do this?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
mneck1814

I think a traditional kayak will actually be lighter than a sit on top. I personally think it is more comfortable to sit down in a kayak than on top with a Sea Kayak. But I strongly recommended trying both before buying to see what you like. I believe both LL Bean and EMS have demo days. I think you can demo at the place in Center Harbor across from Red Hill Dairy/Heaths as well. I have a 10' Perception that is about 35lbs that I bought about 8 years ago for $350 at EMS. Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Adam
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
VtSteve

My first thought for a cruiser would have been a dinghy. Handy for lots more. The Kayak isn't a bad thought, I know some people that use them for fishing. The sit on top would make my bones acke, so not for me.

The nice thing about an inflatable kayak for your purpose is it's easy to use, and can get in tight spaces with little effort. Ultimately, I'd probably do that.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Buying the right kayak is like buying shoes....definately want to sit in it and if possible take a test paddle. Adjustable foot rests are a welcome feature which really increases the paddle power and the good fit.

Hobie kayaks, sold by Fay's in Gilford, have a unique feature; they can be both paddled and peddlled as some Hobies come with pedals and a device underneath similar to two webbed duckie feet....sort of like a four wheel drive kayak, or a duck with a kayak paddle?

Believe that Hobie makes a kayak all set up just for fishing, with fishing rod holders and cup holders, so's you can peddle this camoflage 13' kayak, and use the fishing rod and cup holders all at the same time!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-25-2009 at 08:46 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

As you have canoe experience already, a 15’ or so canoe might be more comfortable to you right off. A canoe would tend to be a dryer deal which matters in cold water. Also a canoe is a little friendlier for fishing in terms of carrying the gear, bait and all those fish. However paddling a canoe solo on a lake when there is some wind is less than fun.

Kayaks are another skill set, lessons help for safety and for efficient paddling. Sit on tops are a wet ride designed for warm water but have no entrapment issue. A closed kayak can be used with a spray skirt to keep dryer but you need to learn the “wet exit” drill. Kayaks are easier to paddle in the wind than a canoe, lower cross section and paddle power on both sides.

Most inexpensive kayaks ($400 to $1,000 and up) are rotomolded plastic and somewhat heavy. Fiberglass kayaks and canoes are much lighter and much more expensive.

There are a lot of trade-offs so what is best for me probably is not best for you. Suggest trying to find a store that sells canoes and kayaks and that has a knowledgeable staff. Kittery Trading Post is one suggestion.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
AC2717

Default Try this

I have alwasy looked at one of these to pull along or sit on the back of the boat.
They seem like they have enough room to put your equipment and you be able to move around a lot safer and be more comfortable.
just a thought:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&currentpage=1
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
jrc

Thanks for the advice so far.

I thought about a dingy but they are big and heavy. A 15' canoe would be too unweildy. Though maybe I should look at 12' canoes.

VtSteve, why do think a sit-on-top would make your bones ache?

I do have some experience with kayaks, but it was white water, many years ago. On a river water is shallow and shore is nearby so exiting and reboarding was never an issue. ( I never perfected the eskimo roll) That's why a sit-on-top has some appeal.

Try before buying is good advice.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Seeker

OK, this may be a little different. I've been boating in many areas where we had to carry a dinghy for many reasons. I carried a 10' inflatable on my swim platform, flipped up and tied ( my boat had 12' beam). I used a 8hp o/b on it when necessary or just rowed it. VERY stable and safe. Weighed 73# but could roll up in a small pkg. Great for exploring shallow areas.
Before that we had a 8' sailing dinghy we carried the same way. Fun but nowhere near as stable. Sold after wife flipped it one day.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Alton Bay

Check out the boats at Parafunalia in Gilford. The folks there know the products well and have all the gear you'll ever need. A great local business with a good reputation
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Smile

For most of your uses, I think a sit-in kayak would be a good choice. However, fishing from them is a little tricky. I learned the hard way that casting for bass and leaving the elastic netting on outside of the kayak is not a good idea after catching the hook in the netting and not being able to get at it necessitating cutting the line.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
jrc

I'm going to give dinghys another look.

AB the big sale on left-over kayaks at parafunalia got me thinking about this in the first place. It's one of my favorite places.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Rowing Catamanran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I'm looking for a small boat to do so fishing and just explore some quiet areas. I'm not looking for transportation or crossing the lake just putting around Smith cove, or around the boat when anchored. So I've been asking myself these questions:

I have a big heavy canoe that I use for river fishing but I want something smaller and lighter. I'm thinking that a kayak is lighter and a sit-on-top is lighter still. Plus is a sit-on-top easy to reboard.

What's a good brand?

I'm thinking about carrying it on the swim platform or on the bow of my cruiser, any one else do this?
And now for something comletely different .....

How about one of those small rowing cats ? An example is here but I've seen many different brands and types including some inflatable ones. The seem to move pretty well, are more stable than a canoe or kayak though lacking in stowage compared to the former. I think I've even seen them for sale at the Gilford Walmart. The second pic is from their website.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
parrothead

Default Hobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Buying the right kayak is like buying shoes....definately want to sit in it and if possible take a test paddle. Adjustable foot rests are a welcome feature which really increases the paddle power and the good fit.

Hobie kayaks, sold by Fay's in Gilford, have a unique feature; they can be both paddled and peddlled as some Hobies come with pedals and a device underneath similar to two webbed duckie feet....sort of like a four wheel drive kayak, or a duck with a kayak paddle?

Believe that Hobie makes a kayak all set up just for fishing, with fishing rod holders and cup holders, so's you can peddle this camoflage 13' kayak, and use the fishing rod and cup holders all at the same time!
I was out this weekend with a friend that has a sit on top Hobie with the "duck feet". I was using a second sit on top using a traditional paddle. This system by Hobie works really well. The kayak moves through the water really well with minimal effort using the peddles. Nice to have your hands free for fishing. The only downside is if you decide to paddle with a traditional paddle. The rudder controls are a hand control, which could make paddling and doing a lot of turning interesting. The boat he has can also be configured to use a sail.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
jmen24

A couple of other things to consider. Talking about a 12' canoe to be used on a lake (even a cove) is not going to be enjoyable. The main things to consider when looking for a canoe: Information so far, you will fish with the boat, you will want a boat with equal rocker and not alot of it, the less rocker the less likely to want to spin around on its own and being equal it will traverse between a solo boat and a tandem without any difference in handling performance. Big flat water will be easier with a keel strip but is not really needed if you are getting a boat with flatish rocker.

For an example my 17'-4" Tripper is easier to control and paddle solo than my 16' Camper which is easier than a Discovery. My 14' fiberglass with keel, more rocker and wide belly is an absolute bear to paddle solo and it weighs about 30lbs more than the other boats mentioned.

I can provide more infor on the canoes if you are interested just PM me.

I do not have much info on the kayaks.

Jmen
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
jrc

Well I'm digging up this old thread just to finish the story. I increased my fleet by 50% last week by buying a 12' Tarpon kayak made by Wilderness. They guy at EMS made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I've only been out three times. My first impressions:

It's heavier on land and the boat and a little harder to move around than I expected. But I'm getting the hang of it.

It's surprisingly fast compared to my 16' canoe, it paddles really easy.

It doesn't feel tippy or unstable at all. I really tried to roll it and it will not flip, I fall out first.

It tracks very well, I didn't get the rudder. It actully is less manuverably than I thought it would be.

It has more cords than a bungee jumper. I haven't figured them all out yet.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
GTO

Default try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

What's a good brand?

Walker Bay sells a nice little boat that is perfect. Light weight/durable. I know they sell them at Heaths Hardware. There is one right as you walk in the door. I bought mine at Sports Parafunilia years ago for $399. I don't know what they go for now
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Hobie Kayak

I have had a Hobie one for two years from Fay's Boat Yard and have had a lot of enjoyment. Sitting on top helps with my claustrophobia and fear of being unable to get out of the sit in type. One down side is that you may get more spray in on rough days. Also you have to be aware your are drawing more water with the "duck feet".
But the rudder can be pulled up if you want to use the paddle and are in shallow water. I have the extra large turbo fins that simulate more of a bike going up hill. its great for the exercise and can really cruise. My 8 yo nephew likes to chug around the bay in it so its easy to run.

The simplistic design of the drive fins impressed me the most. It shows how nature already found the best way, we just needed to adapt to it.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote