Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Question about a site

Hi All,

Last summer I took a photo-attached-of a large and interesting stone wall on the north shore of Meredith, way down at the end of the bay; As you head into the end of the bay with Church Landing on your left, this wall and property would be perhaps at about 1 o'clock some distance away.

I find both the size and the stone construction itself very interesting and am wondering if it is as old as I think it is.

If it is old, anybody know what was there way back?

Any help appreciated.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
winnipiseogee

It is the foundation for a tennis court on Pleasant St. I'm not sure how old it is but it seems to be at least 60+ years old. It might be part of the estate that was owned by a circus owner. He's the same guy I think that had the zoo on Pinnacle hill.

He also had a large property that was right along Pleasant st.

Not sure if that helps....
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Retired Ole Guy

Default Tennis courts

That site has been there at least 50 years plus. I have a condo nearby and used to have tennis balls wash up on the shore all the time. The place was up for auction last year but I don't think they had any takers. Its a great landmark for boaters coming to visit us
Retired Ole Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Just Sold

The tennis court was there in the late 50's - I saw it when we visited my dad's friend, Ray Rafuse, not far from there.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Site

Any idea what was there more than 60 years ago? That wall is quite a structure-gives me the impression of almost being a foundation of sorts.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Janet

When we started coming up to the lake 60 years ago this summer, the tennis courts were there. Also nearby was the "Chieftain Motel". I believe the tennis courts are and were privately owned and not part of the motel. Of course back then the Inn at Mill Falls was the textile mill, True's giftshop was on the corner of Rt 3 and 25, Prescott Pharmacy was up the hill in town and turkeys were raised behind Harts Turkey Farm Restaurant.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Any idea what was there more than 60 years ago? That wall is quite a structure-gives me the impression of almost being a foundation of sorts.
It is a foundation for a for the courts themselves and a set of residences that are condos but seemed to look like a motel strip. There is also a detached residence next top it that is part of the property. Way back when we were kids their was a rumor that it was a detention center for wayward youths
Heck having grown up in Dorchasta in Boston, I would not have minded being sent there after some of my youthful escapades.

I never believed it too much anyway
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
When we started coming up to the lake 60 years ago this summer, the tennis courts were there. Also nearby was the "Chieftain Motel". I believe the tennis courts are and were privately owned and not part of the motel. Of course back then the Inn at Mill Falls was the textile mill, True's giftshop was on the corner of Rt 3 and 25, Prescott Pharmacy was up the hill in town and turkeys were raised behind Harts Turkey Farm Restaurant.
And there was a Movie theater on top of the Bait shop and the Interlaken Dairy on the corner of 3 and 25 acros the streef from Trues had MT. Washington sundaes Heavy Sigh
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Ole Guy View Post
And there was a Movie theater on top of the Bait shop and the Interlaken Dairy on the corner of 3 and 25 acros the streef from Trues had MT. Washington sundaes Heavy Sigh
I remember going to the Key Theatre many times. Also loved Samaha's clothing store.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote