Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
dpg

Default Snow This Past Weekend

Can someone please comment on the snow fall amount Moultonborough received from the weekend storm? App. what is the total on the ground YTD?

Thanks.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
gokart-mozart

Default Lakes Region snowfall

I measured 3 inches in Wolfeboro Friday to Monday 7am.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
jeffatsquam

Just cleaned off my plow truck that has been sitting for 10 days it would be a stretch to call it 4". I think it needs to run so I am going to plow anyways
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
fpartri497

Default snowfall

6" In concord

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Formula

Default Moultonbrough

We had 3-4 inches from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

The snowfall amounts you requested are posted on the Lake Winnipesaukee WeatherCam site. I update those every time I measure snow during a storm, and I try to keep the snow depth current also. Along with daily and storm amounts, I also write the seasonal total and monthly total on separate lines.

While amounts all over New England were impressive, there wasn't much in the lakes region. As stated in the storm's own thread, the lakes region was shadowed by the White Mountains. Being on the leeward side of mountains does not result in much moisture from the sky, and in this storm we were on the leeward side of the Whites.

Total at the WeatherCam was 4.4 inches. That is also the January (and 2010) total so far. Season snow so far is 28.6 inches. Snow on the ground is 7 inches, with drifts and wind-cleared areas.

This powdery snow did not stick to the lake ice, and continues to blow around out there.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
jmen24

CLA, you talked about the shadow effect this last storm had on the lakes region and that is the reason for lack of snow. That creates an interesting question to me. I live in a valley directly at the base of MT. Kearsarge and Ragged Mountian. We get a light snowfall almost daily, I know these mountains are not quite as tall as the others north of the Lake (Mt K is 3300 ft+) but it seems that the clouds hit Kearsarge and then dump everything on the opposite side (North), about 9" this last storm. I know that other areas see the same patterns. In the summer you can actually watch the storm clouds pass on one side of Mt. K or the other.

Talking with some folks that have lived on my side of the mountain say it has always been like this. My question is, are we seeing some sort of compression of the moisture and then a release on the other side or is something else happening all together? Our weather just seems to be completely opposite of what you describe, as the south side of the mountain almost always gets half of what we do.

When I say directly in the valley it is literally, cross the street and start climbing with nothing between us and the top, in both directions.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

In general, air moving up a mountain(upsloping) cools and condenses and thus will ring out more precipitation. The opposite is true also. Air moving down the mountain will warm and dry so to answer your question, the most moisture should be found just before the top of mountain ranges. Franconia Notch is a great example. I have watched for 30 years this same effect and how it has but the brakes on for snowfall at the top of the notch(Cannon Mt). The downsloping air can have a dramatic decrease in snowfall as one heads down to Franconia at 800ft+or- lower in elevation.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Lucky1

Default Will someone let us know if snow is deep on roofs?

I told my plow person not to shovel the roof as it was so expensive. I did not know if the previous person had done the roof? I have a small ranch with a low pitch roof and do not have any idea when it would need roof clearing. What do the forum members who are not at your lake homes in the winter do about clearing the roof? Thanks for any helpful thoughts or suggestions.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote