Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
angela4design

Thumbs down Black Listing 'The Black Cat'

I was happy to revisit the Black Cat today on my way to a meeting for a San Peligrino or a 'decent' cup of coffee. Normally, I choose Awakenings when in downtown Laconia, but the Cat has recently changed ownership, and I wanted to stop in to check out any changes. I had to stop in next door, so it was convenient for me.

I'm used to a warm greeting, friendly staff, cases full of enticing treats, satisfying coffee, and a clean establishment. My friend and I saw none of the above.

Two people huddled at the bar over paperwork, not stopping to welcome us; their only customers arriving. Checked the case; no Peligrino. Okay, no problem, iced coffee would do. I hesitated when I saw several dirty un-bussed tables with plates and food still on them, customers long-gone. The display cases were far more scarely stocked than I had ever seen. (Maybe they were making things out back, I hoped?) Still, I ordered an iced coffee. She didn't ask what size, she just rushed off, returning with what looked like iced tea. My friend had the same, as I rounded the counter to add milk and splenda.

So, I smelled the cup... yeah, it was coffee, not tea, so I looked for Splenda as a woman previously occupied at the bar came over and started opening cabinets beneath me. There was no Splenda on the counter, only an empty cubby, so I hoped she was looking for some, but she just pulled out some other box. So, I ask her for some. "I don't CARRY Splenda" was her response with a sense of disgust that I would even ask!

Well, my friend and I fixed our "coffees" as we normally would, and before we left the premises, nearly returned to complain. It didn't even taste of coffee at all - it was so weak. We almost left them there on the patio. $2.25 each for milky sugar-water. Not only did we not get what we expected from a COFFEE SHOP, but the owner was so rude I didn't bother to complain. I felt she had already demonstrated that a customer's expectations were not her concern. The word for how we felt was APPALLED.

Our meeting took us through Tilton, so we actually stopped at Starbucks to 'make it right' since our local Coffee Shop could not.

Make of it what you will, but my friend and I will never return. And, I add - we both expected an wonderful experience! What a shame.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-02-2008), Orion (09-01-2008)
Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
ironhorsetim

Default just curious

I'm just wondering how you know it was an owner and maybe not an employee,some employees act alot different when "the boss" isn't around you never mention being introduced to as an owner..not that that should matter.$2.25 is $2.25 (remember when it was a quarter?)..like I said just curious sorry to hear you had such a bad cup-o-joe I know my first cup has to be good or it spoils my whole morning

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Mr. V

I stopped in for a cuppa joe at the Black Cat last week, and felt that the coffee was weak and tasteless. My wife has fond memories of the place so I looked for a Black Cat T-Shirt for her, but none were to be found. Only large, open-mouthed coffee cups. Whoa, a new broom sweeps clean alright.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
angela4design

The paperwork they were looking over at the bar looked more involved than 'just an employee'. And, she said "I" don't carry splenda, not "we" or "they". So, that's why I got that impression.

I had heard they were really nice people... I'm still shocked!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
jinxie66

Smile Black Cat!

I've read all the posts on the Black Cat!! And all I can say, is get a life people!

They just took over ownership in May, they're still trying to get things straight!

I go there alot, and I love it! They have more entree's and even apps, the staff is great, and the hours are fantastic! It was a shame that they were NEVER opened late before. Now they even have entertainment. You should check things out B4 you start complaining!

Gosh, complaining about sweetner for coffee, you should be happy they have choices, I've been to places that only have sugar and one other! Get a life! The coffee is the same, it comes pre packaged, nothings changed about it!

Also, they haven't had any t-shirts in quite a while, even when Kenny owned it, so stop complaining! Were u there for clothes or food??

I like the Black Cat alot, and it's keeping the money in the community instead of going outside the community to drink and enjoy!

Give them a chance, you can't change things overnight!!
jinxie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxie66 View Post
I've read all the posts on the Black Cat!! And all I can say, is get a life people!

They just took over ownership in May, they're still trying to get things straight!

I go there alot, and I love it! They have more entree's and even apps, the staff is great, and the hours are fantastic! It was a shame that they were NEVER opened late before. Now they even have entertainment. You should check things out B4 you start complaining!

Gosh, complaining about sweetner for coffee, you should be happy they have choices, I've been to places that only have sugar and one other! Get a life! The coffee is the same, it comes pre packaged, nothings changed about it!

Also, they haven't had any t-shirts in quite a while, even when Kenny owned it, so stop complaining! Were u there for clothes or food??

I like the Black Cat alot, and it's keeping the money in the community instead of going outside the community to drink and enjoy!

Jinx this is a forum and that was a review- they had a bad experience and wrote about it. You said nothing in your post to counter it except to say they have only owned it since May and the hours are expanded. We come here for info on places, if you think they are great, tell us why!

Customer service is not something that they should need time to iron out and should not take 4 months to do so.

As a friendly suggestion perhaps your first post on a forum should not tell people 2 get a life (twice). Both posters did "check it out" before complaining as far as I can see.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
angela4design (09-01-2008), ironhorsetim (09-01-2008), Lakepilot (09-01-2008), Orion (09-01-2008), Resident 2B (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Jinx this is a forum and that was a review- they had a bad experience and wrote about it. You said nothing in your post to counter it except to say they have only owned it since May and the hours are expanded. We come here for info on places, if you think they are great, tell us why!

Customer service is not something that they should need time to iron out and should not take 4 months to do so.

As a friendly suggestion perhaps your first post on a forum should not tell people 2 get a life (twice). Both posters did "check it out" before complaining as far as I can see.

Don't worry,VitaBene or angela4design - that post by Jinxie66 is a "hit and run". One post - their first - and they come here with the sole purpose of defending a business that has had four months to get it right....

Jinxie doesn't get it that the comments about the sweetener were more about "attitude" that angels4design's request was met with than they were about choices. But it seems like Jinxie has enough attitude to go around for everyone....

And $2.25 for coffee - bad coffee (a mortal sin!) is just plain wrong. Top it with luke-warm service and yah... I don't blame angela4design for being put off by the encounter. I wouldn't have been burning a trail to return there myself...

After all, there's HOW many other coffee shops within two blocks of there?

A bad experience is a bad experience. Period. That's your perception of the situation and posters shouldn't get attacked for that!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
angela4design

Default Now, I was ready to put this to bed! but...

This is actually funny. I do have a very happy life, thank you for asking. I was going to let this go to rest, as I had already posted that I had my bad experience, and shared that poor experience with the group.

Having said that, my friend whom I was with at the time decided to try them AGAIN - this time for lunch, with a different friend, hoping for a better experience. Again, slow and poor service, smokers nearby at the patio and an overall disappointing experience - adding her friend to the list of unsatisfied customers, as well as other grumbling patrons (feeling ignored and smoking)!

As for sweeteners; I have one word: diabetic. Offer your patrons options, or they'll choose other establishments.

I ran many restaurants, locally and in major cities, and I acknowledge that there's a time to 'break it in'. But MAY? Let's see... we're in September - FOUR months? It's COFFEE. Not rocket science.

I notice that the ads I see all say "COME BACK" to the Cat. Where has everyone gone... and why? I don't wonder anymore.

I see that this is your first post, so I encourange you to share some constructive criticism with the owners (if you aren't the owner, that is). But, I choose where to spend my money. And it's not there. that's all!
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
angela4design

Default Now I just noticed...

Jinxie, how is it that you know they use the same pre-packaged coffee? hmmm.... (Posters, there's another thread about this, isn't there? )

Shortly before selling (within a year, I'd guess), Kinney had bought an espresso machine. Did he take it WITH him? He even advertised it - quite an investment!

Let's keep our money local - ABSOLUTELY. Awakenings has great coffee, free wifi, great lunch and it's within walking distance.

Oh, and P.S. - They carry Splenda
Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Drummer Girl

Even the best coffee gets a bad taste if not consumed with in a reasonable amount of time. If business is slow, could be sitting.
Drummer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
redc5

Quote:

hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, Interseting
redc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Waterbaby

Default But Not Weak!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Girl View Post
Even the best coffee gets a bad taste if not consumed with in a reasonable amount of time. If business is slow, could be sitting.
I don't drink coffee myself -- have never liked the taste nor the aftertaste it leaves, nor the smell of coffee breath -- but I've made many a pot in my day, and the longer it sits the STRONGER it gets! (And yes, a bad taste). The complaint here was that the coffee tasted WEAK, not bad-tasting.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
dpg

Quote:

Would you happen to have personal interest in the place?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
jinxie66

Default Black Cat

Alright, I've read everyone's post, and I do agree with most of you!

If coffee is sitting, it does get nasty, so maybe yours was sitting, so I apologize for that! If it wasn't sitting, then hopefully it was just a bad batch of coffee! I've seen it made, and it comes pre packaged, just like most other little places, i.e. convenience stores, hospitals, etc.

As for the sweetner, yup, I'm diabetic also, and they do have other things to offer, that stuff is expensive and just because one person wants on thing, the rest will just sit there, they can't make everyone happy!

I agree about the smokers, I'm a non smoker, and they have taken steps, to not allow smoking in the patio, they put out signs, but it's hard to police places, I've still seen people smoking there, and it's very frustrating when you want to enjoy your meal and have to have the smoke! Some people just don't care! I agree with the smoking ban!!

I think they still have the espresso, not sure, I hate the stuff, but I know it's not with the regular coffee.

Also, FYI!!! I do NOT have any personal of financial interest in the Black Cat, I've just been there alot and have enjoyed myself!

Also, I've been to many establishments for the 1st time, and unfortunately, most of the time the 1st wasn't that great, I'm glad I didn't stop going, I gave them a 2nd chance, and things were better. So hopefully people will give them another chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxie66 For This Useful Post:
angela4design (09-06-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
VtSteve

Quote:
Alright, I've read everyone's post, and I do agree with most of you!
Your very first post says this.

Quote:

Now you say this
Quote:
If coffee is sitting, it does get nasty, so maybe yours was sitting, so I apologize for that! If it wasn't sitting, then hopefully it was just a bad batch of coffee! I've seen it made, and it comes pre packaged, just like most other little places, i.e. convenience stores, hospitals, etc.

As for the sweetner, yup, I'm diabetic also, and they do have other things to offer, that stuff is expensive and just because one person wants on thing, the rest will just sit there, they can't make everyone happy!
Nice,

But in your first post, you sya this

Quote:

So.... might as well come clean eh? You're now a diabetic too? But in your original post someone that actually is a diabetic is a complainer that should get a life?

You're not very good at this are you?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
jinxie66

Default black cat

They have choices, that's what I'm saying, and yes I'm a diabetic, and they did and do have different choices, the 1st person said they didn't have the splenda, that's not the only alternative to sugar they have! I've been a diabetic for over 10 years, and splenda isn't the only alternative!

so, you must know the 1st person that posted complaining about the sweetner! Just like supposedly I'm being told that I have an interest via personal or financial with the Black Cat! No I don't have any vested interest in the Black Cat!

I explained myself and apologized for my misgivings, obviously some people can't accept an apology!

I still goto the Black Cat and love it. Hopefully others will try it out!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
NBR

I think you do them a great disservice by not letting your complaints be known. How could they know what you didn't like. Fixing a customer complaint when you don't know the complaint is real hard.

Not complaining politely and dissing the place won't fix anything. There are places I won't go but not until after I have registered my complaint and given them a second chance.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
jinxie66 (09-03-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
angela4design

Default It's getting tiresome...

My complaint WAS their response. I didn't feel a valued customer, felt I was given an attitude by the staff, and felt the product served was um, less satisfactory, as well. Others note similar experience, on this forum and otherwise. A friend of mine gave them a second chance, and did complain to staff. (btw... I'm not sure when Jinxie 'often' visits, but just last week, they still provided ashtrays on the small patio.)

I still keep my dollars local; I don't go to major coffee companies, I spend locally. I hope they DO improve. I really do. I've loved the Cat for many years. I've since heard MORE poor stories, but as I said when Jinxie posted, "I was ready to put this to bed".

Goodnight?
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
RamJet (09-03-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
Waterbaby

Default What is the problem with ashtrays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
My complaint WAS their response. I didn't feel a valued customer, felt I was given an attitude by the staff, and felt the product served was um, less satisfactory, as well. Others note similar experience, on this forum and otherwise. A friend of mine gave them a second chance, and did complain to staff. (btw... I'm not sure when Jinxie 'often' visits, but just last week, they still provided ashtrays on the small patio.)

I still keep my dollars local; I don't go to major coffee companies, I spend locally. I hope they DO improve. I really do. I've loved the Cat for many years. I've since heard MORE poor stories, but as I said when Jinxie posted, "I was ready to put this to bed".

Goodnight?

Angela, I can relate to your comments about the poor service and really awful coffee, and most of all not feeling like a valued customer, but you've commented about people smoking on the patio and now commenting about ashtrays on the patio. NH Law, as of July I believe (and I may be off on the timeframe) is that there is NO SMOKING inside a public establishment, but there is no such law for smoking outside. I would have to say it makes cleanup a lot easier for them to provide ashtrays than having to sweep up after the people dropping ashes and stomping out butts on the patio.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
Meredith Resident

Default Jinxiee

Quote:
They have choices, that's what I'm saying, and yes I'm a diabetic, and they did and do have different choices, the 1st person said they didn't have the splenda, that's not the only alternative to sugar they have! I've been a diabetic for over 10 years, and splenda isn't the only alternative!

so, you must know the 1st person that posted complaining about the sweetner! Just like supposedly I'm being told that I have an interest via personal or financial with the Black Cat! No I don't have any vested interest in the Black Cat!

I explained myself and apologized for my misgivings, obviously some people can't accept an apology!

I still goto the Black Cat and love it. Hopefully others will try it out!

I still think Jinxiee is the owner of Black Cat. The new owners of Black Cat had been a manager at The Crazy Gringo. I am sure he thought he could do everything better himself, and in reality had no clue about the financial workings of a business, such as accounting, advertising, payroll etc.

I have seen many people leave managerial jobs to open their own business because they always think they can do it better. IE-A manager leaving a Harley shop to open their own business, because they always think they can do it better.

Like I said this owner probably has been taken by surprise by all the unknown business tasks, and is letting his product, service, and managment skills go by the wayside.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Resident View Post
I still think Jinxiee is the owner of Black Cat. The new owners of Black Cat had been a manager at The Crazy Gringo. I am sure he thought he could do everything better himself, and in reality had no clue about the financial workings of a business, such as accounting, advertising, payroll etc.

I have seen many people leave managerial jobs to open their own business because they always think they can do it better. IE-A manager leaving a Harley shop to open their own business, because they always think they can do it better.

Like I said this owner probably has been taken by surprise by all the unknown business tasks, and is letting his product, service, and managment skills go by the wayside.
Meredith Resident...

WOW!! You really need to get your facts straight before you bash someone, or or thier business! The only thing your sure of is YOUR OPINION!

The owner of the Black Cat (Mike) has been managing restaurants forever. He managed Nothin Fancy almost from the get go, then Rita's and finally it became Crazy Gringo... and by managed I mean he handled all of the day to day operations of the business, greeting people at the door with a cheery "Welcome to NH", bartending, picking up shifts because someone didn't show, employee scheduling, liquor & food orders, advertising, liquor promos, charity work & auctions etc! If he was doing such an awful job, then why did the three different owners keep him (and most of the same crew) on? Simply because he knew what he was doing, and the customers were happy. To imply he didnt know what he was getting into when he bought the Black Cat is absurd! He simply saw an opportunity to own a restaurant and no longer work for someone else.

My Gf & I went there a few weeks ago for a lunch as she was craving quiche. I ordered the Ham & Cheese and she had the Southwest. Both were good, in fact I got a slice of the Ham & Cheese "to go" so I could have it for breakfast the next day (the quiche didnt make to breakfast). The place was clean and the service was good. We dined outside (it was a gorgeous day) and all in all had a good experience. I will go back...

While I dont know what went wrong in the initial thread other than the help was obviously having a bad day... I do think that they will improve and strive to get better!

Woodsy
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #22
ironhorsetim

Cool interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Resident View Post

MR, I find it interesting that in your first post on this you say "Jinxiee is the owner", I don't know if he/she is or is not, but I do know Mike and Pattie the "owners". Do you know something we don't?? I have worked for Mike when he was the manager of the Gringo,who was also the manager of Rita's before it was the Gringo which before Rita's was the manager of Nothing Fancy, and had been their for 19 years before leaving,by his choice might I say, to persue his own slice of life. I know he has at least 19 years expierience as a "manager". Now I don't know about you but anyone who has that much time in the field and had been kept on by not 1 but 3 owners must have been doing something right. He was the one who did the payroll,advertizing and was involved but not totally for the accounting. I also believe he has the character not to come on and pretend to be someone he is not, knowing him as I do, he would come here as the "owner" and try to address the issue's because he was and I'm sure continues to be a smart businessman. Now not to take any type of side on this, try this..maybe just maybe, Jinxiee is a very passionate patron/person who uses to many of these !!!! I questioned A4D's first post on this because the responce she got didn't sound like it would come from him, she replied and that was that. Not everyone is going to have a good expierience everywhere.
But to get back to the point...do you know something we don't ?

Ernest Hemmingway
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Meredith Resident (09-04-2008)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
jinxie66

Default Black Cat

Well, Meredith Resident!

I'm NOT the owner or have any personal interest in the Black Cat! I posted that earlier, and guess your not reading correctly!

Kinda funny, I'm not even in the food service industry.

As Ironhorse, and Woodsy said, you should get your facts together before you start making wrong remarks.

I also agree with NBR, if you don't make your dissatisfactions clear, then how will anyone know how to improve?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
MR, I find it interesting that in your first post on this you say "Jinxiee is the owner", I don't know if he/she is or is not, but I do know Mike and Pattie the "owners". Do you know something we don't?? I have worked for Mike when he was the manager of the Gringo,who was also the manager of Rita's before it was the Gringo which before Rita's was the manager of Nothing Fancy, and had been their for 19 years before leaving,by his choice might I say, to persue his own slice of life. I know he has at least 19 years expierience as a "manager". Now I don't know about you but anyone who has that much time in the field and had been kept on by not 1 but 3 owners must have been doing something right. He was the one who did the payroll,advertizing and was involved but not totally for the accounting. I also believe he has the character not to come on and pretend to be someone he is not, knowing him as I do, he would come here as the "owner" and try to address the issue's because he was and I'm sure continues to be a smart businessman. Now not to take any type of side on this, try this..maybe just maybe, Jinxiee is a very passionate patron/person who uses to many of these !!!! I questioned A4D's first post on this because the responce she got didn't sound like it would come from him, she replied and that was that. Not everyone is going to have a good expierience everywhere.
But to get back to the point...do you know something we don't ?
No I don't. I was just speculating what may have happend in regards to the bad reviews. Sorry for the mix up.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith Resident For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (09-06-2008)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #25
ironhorsetim

Red face need to calm down

Jinxiee....you need to relax and stop yelling (!!!!!!!!) people will take you more seriously if your calm,direct and supply the facts. I learned that the hard way

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #26
jinxie66

Default Black Cat!

I'm not yelling, nor do I need to relax, I'm very relaxed, just posting my opinions like everyone else.

I'm stating the facts as I see them, and yes, everyone sees things differently.

An explanation mark at the end of a sentence is not yelling.

Hope people will try the Black Cat and give them a chance, they will enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #27
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
I'm not yelling, nor do I need to relax, I'm very relaxed, just posting my opinions like everyone else.

I'm stating the facts as I see them, and yes, everyone sees things differently.

An explanation mark at the end of a sentence is not yelling.

Hope people will try the Black Cat and give them a chance, they will enjoy it.

Hi Jinx, exclamation points are good, all caps= yelling! at least on a forum, FYI

I'll check it out soon.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
jinxie66

Default black cat

Thanks, and I hope you have a good experience
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #29
Waterbaby

Default Invested perhaps?

Quote:
Thanks, and I hope you have a good experience

Gotta ask you Jinxie, if you're not an owner (and I've never believed you were, btw) -- why do you appear to be so invested in their success? Are you the offspring of an owner? Do you work there? Do you just like to go there? Forum posters want to know!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #30
jinxie66

Default black cat

No, not an owner, no financial interest, not an offspring, and no family involvement. Don't even work there, just spend my money there.

Just like to go there, it's a nice place to hang out and be able to have a drink outside.

Hope people will try it and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
angela4design

Default Smoking...

Quote:

I agree about the smokers, I'm a non smoker, and they have taken steps, to not allow smoking in the patio
I mention smoking because we agree - it's disagreeable. You say that they discourage it it, yet provide ashtrays. I guess that I see both sides. I would rather have a clean patio with smokers than one littered with butts on the ground. The Law gives us the least of evils - at least they HAVE to take it outside (remember, this used to be a coffee & cigar shop)! So, I can see that...

I honestly do have hopes for the Cat. I've said before - I heard they were nice people that bought the establishment, and I have always loved it before. (Only heresay on this forum that Mike bought it; I hadn't heard that before.) I do hope to return and find a better experience than my first post - I was just extremely disappointed by that first impression.

TO THEIR CREDIT... they have kept an excellent chef! I hope that I was simply an early guest, and the magic-making hadn't begun yet for that day. There's an article clipped for the newspaper at the counter - and rightfully so! Her creations are TASTY! I'm glad they've kept her (I think her name is Erin)...

I hope to try it again soon... my original complaint was more about the attitude I received than the lack of artificial sweetener! Next time, I'll order espresso... that should be pretty straight-forward.

Jinxie and guests, I honestly didn't mean to wage an attack on a local business. I had a bad expereince, and wanted to know if others had. (I really get peeved when I spend money at an establishment, and they're not even KIND to patrons.) I hope for better. When I try it again... and I will (fingers crossed), I hope for better. Their tarragon Chicken salad was yummy... hope they bring that back. That will be what I ask for when I come back.

And I don't CARE what role Jinxie plays. IT DOESN'T MATTER. If s/he is a customer -great! (It's a local business) If s/he's an affiliate or owner, then they've been made aware of some of the community experiences... even better! Either way, they've read about the public wanting clean tables, good service and good products. So, Jinxie, I'm glad that the better experience is you have had! I hope for the same...

I wonder if Jinxie got the bad wrap for the hit-and-run first post. No matter... We've come to the consensus, I think, to take it for what it is. Jinxie, the more time you spend with us, the more credibility you gain. What DO you like? And, where else do you go? What experience can you bring to the group?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #32
ironhorsetim

Default owners

My guess is that we'll be hearing from Mike or Pattie soon

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #33
jinxie66

Default black cat

thanks angela4design.

I think your right, I did get a bad taste for my hit, I really jumped to conclusions, so again I apologize to everyone.

yes, Erin is still there, she's great, love her Quiche. I've never had quiche til I tried her's in June, it was GREAT!

The smoking will always be an issue in my book, since I'm a non smoker and have grown up with smoking in the family. UGH! The sign they have out is no smoking for lunchtime guests, but people will always do what they want, pretty frustrating, I grew up following the rules, and now a days people just do what they want. I still abide by what my parents told me. "Rules were made for a reason."

I haven't been to alot of resturants, but I have dines at O's, and loved it there, will be going to dinner someday to sit outside, I hear it's beautiful at night (as long as there's no bugs). I love Hectars nacho's. Shooters makes great pizza.

Haven't tried Waldo Pepper's, have heard some good things. Anyone got feedback for me?? Also looking for good Chinese, have gone a few places and haven't been impressed.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and good luck
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
ironhorsetim

Default for everyone to see

I'm just throwing this in to help clarify the smoking policy not to start a smoking non smoking war, hope it helps
Quote:
The smoking will always be an issue in my book, since I'm a non smoker and have grown up with smoking in the family. UGH! The sign they have out is no smoking for lunchtime guests, but people will always do what they want, pretty frustrating
Quote:
A friend of mine gave them a second chance, and did complain to staff. (btw... I'm not sure when Jinxie 'often' visits, but just last week, they still provided ashtrays on the small patio.)
Quote:
smokers nearby at the patio and an overall disappointing experience - adding her friend to the list of unsatisfied customers, as well as other grumbling patrons (feeling ignored and smoking)
Attachment 2096

If common sense where common, everyone would have it.

Ernest Hemmingway

Last edited by ironhorsetim; 05-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (09-12-2008)
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #35
Waterbaby

Default Non-Smoking Policy........

.....Will hopefully be honored by the smokers who go there. I would suggest to the owners, however, that they remove the ashtrays before the beginning of the "non-smoking" hours on the patio. Speaking as a smoker, if there's an ashtray visible, I would assume it's alright to smoke, irregardless of the sign.

(Disclaimer before I get jumped on by anyone -- yes, I smoke cigarettes. I do, however, respect the rights of non- smokers; in fact, I do not smoke in my own home, rarely in my car, I don't like the smell of smoking -- never have, never will. Very wierd, I know. I can understand my non-smoking friends not liking smoking or breathing it in, and will always respect the rights of others.)