Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Best Pontoon Anchor

OK, last year I posted about having issues with a slip ring Danforth and, after adding chain and zip-tying the ring, it still stinks. After having some nice people dig it in for me at West Alton yesterday, I decided to play with it a bit and it just doesn't bite--typically, it just rolled over. I just want a reliable bite!

That being said, I'm looking at three: Mantus, slide anchor, and Fortress (supposedly, the Fortress is a reliable Danforth-style). Thoughts for a 20' pontoon mostly anchored out at sandbars and shallower sections of Winni?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
nhboat61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
OK, last year I posted about having issues with a slip ring Danforth and, after adding chain and zip-tying the ring, it still stinks. After having some nice people dig it in for me at West Alton yesterday, I decided to play with it a bit and it just doesn't bite--typically, it just rolled over. I just want a reliable bite!

That being said, I'm looking at three: Mantus, slide anchor, and Fortress (supposedly, the Fortress is a reliable Danforth-style). Thoughts for a 20' pontoon mostly anchored out at sandbars and shallower sections of Winni?!

I'm having the same problems... never had a problem anchoring my 4 Winns. But now that I have a pontoon...I actually bought a second anchor ( heavier) and still not holding the boat.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
HellRaZoR004

A typical danforth anchor should work.

How much rode (chain + rope) are you letting out? Perhaps you are not using enough and as a result the scope is too large, resulting in the boat 'popping' the anchor out of the sand.

How heavy is the anchor?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
A typical danforth anchor should work.

How much rode (chain + rope) are you letting out? Perhaps you are not using enough and as a result the scope is too large, resulting in the boat 'popping' the anchor out of the sand.

How heavy is the anchor?
Not sure of weight, maybe 13 lbs.? When I saw the thing toppling over, I was IN the water and pulling it almost straight, which is what the chain is supposed to help with, right? It just wasn't digging in. If I pushed it in with my feet, it held OK, but that's rarely possible. I did read in a review that the sharpness of the spike thingies and the angle they are at affect the performance.

Essentially, what I saw is that it would lay flat, the spikes would start to dig, and then it would just flip over. This was at about 20' away and pulling at waist level (3'?).

Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Woodsy

Default Fortress

I got sick of fighting with the anchors on my Donzi every time I went to the sandbar! Bought 1 Fortress and then got a second! I don't know what makes them different, as they are a Danforth style. But they bite great!

Woodsy
Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
depasseg

I have a 30' cabin cruiser and was using a danforth style for a while (fortress). It held great as long as I had the right scope. This usually meant I had to get in the water to both set and retrieve it. As someone who boats from May to Oct, I was looking for an alternative to that requirement and found a great one.

It's called a box anchor. I got the large size for the stern and I can throw it off and it sets immediately (except in grass and weeds, but I avoid those areas). It doesn't require the same scope as the danforth. And the best part is it folds up nice and flat. I also got a Danik hook which makes connecting and adjusting the length very easy.

https://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_Shop...1-c5e749bb8688
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
I have a 30' cabin cruiser and was using a danforth style for a while (fortress). It held great as long as I had the right scope. This usually meant I had to get in the water to both set and retrieve it. As someone who boats from May to Oct, I was looking for an alternative to that requirement and found a great one.

It's called a box anchor. I got the large size for the stern and I can throw it off and it sets immediately (except in grass and weeds, but I avoid those areas). It doesn't require the same scope as the danforth. And the best part is it folds up nice and flat. I also got a Danik hook which makes connecting and adjusting the length very easy.

https://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_Shop...1-c5e749bb8688
That's what I was referring to as a slide anchor (referred to differently in different places). It looks like it works great, but there's a video comparing that to Mantus and the latter does a better job (in the video).

Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I got sick of fighting with the anchors on my Donzi every time I went to the sandbar! Bought 1 Fortress and then got a second! I don't know what makes them different, as they are a Danforth style. But they bite great!

Woodsy
I've read that the shape of the spikes and angle of entry matters, and that the Fortress has both right. I think Boating Magazine rated it the best, too.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Phantom

Thinkxingu -- Your issue is quite simple ...... not enough scope !

By your own admission you are expecting it to hook with 20' of line and hold a 20' toon. NOT gonna happen !

Solution - if you are truly always at the FL75 sandbar or Margate or similar-- then be prepared to jump off and set it manually

If you go to Patrician, Blueberry, Braun or other sandbar then you will be afforded the opportunity to have 40-60' of line off your bow and you'll catch just fine !!

I have a 26' bowrider, if I go to any of the sandbars first listed -- I know I am gonna get wet !! because the nature/ boating culture of those sandbar does not lend to a lot of scope (simply, I would look like an idiot with 80' of line out).
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Not sure of weight, maybe 13 lbs.? When I saw the thing toppling over, I was IN the water and pulling it almost straight, which is what the chain is supposed to help with, right? It just wasn't digging in. If I pushed it in with my feet, it held OK, but that's rarely possible. I did read in a review that the sharpness of the spike thingies and the angle they are at affect the performance.

Essentially, what I saw is that it would lay flat, the spikes would start to dig, and then it would just flip over. This was at about 20' away and pulling at waist level (3'?).

I agree with the not enough scope issue. If you are in 3 ft deep water and the rode will tie off another 2 feet higher, then the depth from tie off to bottom is 5 feet. You would need 5-7 times that depth to grab and hold, or 25 to 35 feet of rode, minimum. Given the choppiness over the weekend, I can see how the anchor may pull with only 20 ft of rode. Also, if it is windy, that load will also have an effect on an anchor holding. More rode, perhaps better success. If not, good luck with a new anchor. (This is why my wife and I like deeper water anchoring; still need the proper scope, but not as many boats around having the same problem.)

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

By your own admission you are expecting it to hook with 20' of line and hold a 20' toon. NOT gonna happen !

Solution - if you are truly always at the FL75 sandbar or Margate or similar-- then be prepared to jump off and set it manually

If you go to Patrician, Blueberry, Braun or other sandbar then you will be afforded the opportunity to have 40-60' of line off your bow and you'll catch just fine !!

I have a 26' bowrider, if I go to any of the sandbars first listed -- I know I am gonna get wet !! because the nature/ boating culture of those sandbar does not lend to a lot of scope (simply, I would look like an idiot with 80' of line out).
Phantom, maybe I wasn't clear: I was standing in the water, about 20' away, and pulling the anchor manually with my hands at my waist. The chain was flat on the sand, but as I pulled it, instead of the spikes digging in, the whole thing toppled over.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Dave R

I have had excellent results with a Lewmar claw anchor. They always set easily and hold well in all kinds of bottoms, including sand and mud. They are also failrly compact and easy to store. An 11 lb would be perfect for your needs. I have a spare 11lb with a rode attached if you want to test it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I have had excellent results with a Lewmar claw anchor. They always set easily and hold well in all kinds of bottoms, including sand and mud. They are also failrly compact and easy to store. An 11 lb would be perfect for your needs. I have a spare 11lb with a rode attached if you want to test it.
I think this was mentioned as an option before--where are you located?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Funny, I just checked Craigslist and all that's for sale are Danforth style anchors.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Barney Bear

Default Anchoring

All of the boats we have had over our many years of boating, first on inland rivers, and later on Winnipesaukee before we bought our cottage and when overnight anchoring was allowed, have had danforth anchors. First, lower the anchor while slowly going in reverse. The weight of the boat will help the flukes to dig in. The initial "set" should be made with a long scope. Once the anchor flutes have dug in, one can move ahead toward the anchor to shorten the scope. Obviously, a sandy or muddy bottom is needed for the flukes to work properly. On the rivers, we would use a trip line fastened to the base of the anchor below the flukes. This line would have a float attached. If the anchor had hooked below a submerged log, pulling on the trip line would free the anchor. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
I think this was mentioned as an option before--where are you located?

I live in Raymond NH. I could likely meet you on the lake though.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
noreast

box anchor. Expensive (as anchors go) but you'll not have a problem.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
Rattletrap

Quote:

Have to agree with Phantom here. My own experiences of loosing the "hook" was almost always because I didn't have anywhere near enough scope out. I have a 20' pontoon also and where I go, I just let it run for 40'-60' then wrap it around the cleat give it a good pull and it's set all day. After having an undersized primary anchor 7lbs (given to me by the dealer) I now have a 13lbs flute anchor with about 5' of chain on it and it's never let me down.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Have done a ton of reading and watching tests today, and it appears not all Danforth/fluke anchors are the same--the Fortress ones consistently get high ratings (among the highest) but the Seachoice ones do not. I've seen pointiness of the flukes, angle of flukes, and shape of flukes all given as reasons. I'm doing exactly as mentioned above and know I'm using enough of a rode--up to 100' in 10-12' water--but something's not right. I'm gonna try something new out and will post my experiences.

Here are two pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #20
NoBozo

Default Anchoring Is An Art

I have been anchoring since 1968...in Tidewater. I always had a deep keel sailboat. Hull shape matters: Windage (superstructure)..and keel below the waterline. If you have a deep keel, while swinging on the anchor, you will be less likely to "Sail" around the anchor. If you have a lot of superstructure and not much underwater..you will Sail Around the anchor with the wind.

The last was a C&C 32. I had three anchors aboard the C&C. A Real Danforth 22S. That's a 22# "Standard". Stamped Steel. A real Danforth 12H, Thats a 12# Hi-Tensile. A "Hi-Tensile" is a Forging ..look up "forging". The High Tensile is VERY Sharp and WILL Bite. I also had a 25# CQR Plow.

Anchoring is an acquired skill. Just throwing the anchor over the side with a ball of line probably isn't going to work. No matter what anchor you have...Lower it over the bow and pay out the rode gently backing down.

Scope: If you need to anchor in a tight space...use more chain. For a 20' boat in three feet of water..I recommend 6 feet of chain on 3/8 twisted nylon.

Everyone... I have observed on the lake uses anchor line AND Docklines that is WAY TOO Big. Heavy line gives NO Stretch. Lighter line gives you better stretch.

If you have a TOO Big diameter anchor rode, there will be no stretch (Vs the weight of your boat.) and a passing wave will JERK your anchor out of the bottom. Food for thought. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #21
Rattletrap

Quote:
Have done a ton of reading and watching tests today, and it appears not all Danforth/fluke anchors are the same--the Fortress ones consistently get high ratings (among the highest) but the Seachoice ones do not. I've seen pointiness of the flukes, angle of flukes, and shape of flukes all given as reasons. I'm doing exactly as mentioned above and know I'm using enough of a rode--up to 100' in 10-12' water--but something's not right. I'm gonna try something new out and will post my experiences.

Here are two pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

My primary anchor is more like the Fortress. The first anchor was just like the one the dealer gave me. It makes a good 2nd anchor but little else.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
NoBozo

The Danforth Anchor was invented during WWII.. to haul the larger beach landing craft OFF the beach after they had discharged their cargo. Danforth lost their patent some time ago. I don't know the details. The dam burst and every Tom Dick and Harry came out of the woodwork to capitalize. There is a lot of Fake Danforths out there. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
My primary anchor is more like the Fortress. The first anchor was just like the one the dealer gave me. It makes a good 2nd anchor but little else.
That's exactly what I'm thinking--it works fine if I set it by hand but otherwise it's rare to get good bite.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #24
Rattletrap

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm thinking--it works fine if I set it by hand but otherwise it's rare to get good bite.

Get a good 13lbs anchor 4'-5' of good galvanized chain and 100 foot of
rope you'll be good to go on a 20' pontoon. This is my exact set up

Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Digger

Quote:

After having owned three pontoon boats and tried most of the above noted anchors on the big lake...do yourself and your boat a favor and get yourself a "Digger" anchor. No chain required or recommended to drag up and scratch the **** out of your boat.

It's the easiest anchor to set and pull up with great holding power. Just google Digger anchor to find their website to determine the size you need, most likely a 15 lb is all you need. http://www.diggeranchor.com/anchors.html

The digger really is your best option by far!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #26
Blue Thunder

I've been anchoring my boats (19', 21' and now 24') with the same Danforth 8S anchor for over 35 years and never once had an issue. Chain on the shank is the key.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
After having owned three pontoon boats and tried most of the above noted anchors on the big lake...do yourself and your boat a favor and get yourself a "Digger" anchor. No chain required or recommended to drag up and scratch the **** out of your boat.

It's the easiest anchor to set and pull up with great holding power. Just google Digger anchor to find their website to determine the size you need, most likely a 15 lb is all you need. http://www.diggeranchor.com/anchors.html

Dan
Those get good reviews, but it appears to have more moving parts than I might want.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
ishoot308

Quote:
Those get good reviews, but it appears to have more moving parts than I might want.

It only has one moving part and that is the fluke hinge for self cleaning and dislodging. It works great!, had mine for 8 years now and it always hooks and holds. The best part is no chain to deal with!

Edited to add: Their 12 lb anchor, which is good for boats 20' and less, only requires a 2 to 1 slope of anchor line...Just bought one for my wife's new 18' center console.

Here's a youtube video explaining it.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXFZf2eIKTI

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-27-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: See Above
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #29
codeman671

Great thread. I need to do some anchor shopping this week.

My pontoon came from the factory with a built in anchor windlass system mounted under the deck, with a large mushroom anchor in a bracket by the front of the tubes. Slick setup, but even a large mushroom is not exactly efficient. I used it for the first time a week ago in Brickyard cove, it did hold for a while, granted I didn't have a ton of scope out. Definitely need something more efficient for my upcoming week on the lake as I am sure we will be doing some mid-week "sand-barring".
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #30
thinkxingu

One issue I'm finding is that nobody stocks these--Bass *might* have the Digger, but I'm leaning towards the Mantus as there's not a ton (other than ishoot308, sorry buddy) of info on the Digger. If I can get a Mantus by the weekend, I will and let people know how it goes!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #31
Phantom

I think -- I may be wrong (so sorry Thinkxingu) that everyone is STILL missing the point !!

He is trying to anchor at FL#75 Sandbar with little to no scope !!

I grant that short scope is the "culture" there (same as Margate) so no matter what, he's going to have to manually set it.

Thinkxingu - that means grabbing the anchor/ opening the plates and starting it into the sand with either a dive to push it in the sand or clever use of your foot

Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #32
thinkxingu

Quote:
I think -- I may be wrong (so sorry Thinkxingu) that everyone is STILL missing the point !!

He is trying to anchor at FL#75 Sandbar with little to no scope !!

I grant that short scope is the "culture" there (same as Margate) so no matter what, he's going to have to manually set it.

Thinkxingu - that means grabbing the anchor/ opening the plates and starting it into the sand with either a dive to push it in the sand or clever use of your foot

I understand what you're getting at --what I'm trying to say is that MY anchor, when pulled flat across the lake floor, does not dig in but rather flips over. From my research and reading reviews of the Seachoice fluke-style anchor, either it's the angle the flukes are allowed to pivot to or bad design of the flukes that prevent the anchor from digging in.

The Fortress brand of fluke/Danforth anchor, and some others that people have success with, make specific note of the angle their flukes are limited to, the shape of the flukes, and not having a slip ring to flip the anchor backwards.

As Rattletrap noted above, what I posted is what he had that didn't work.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #33
thinkxingu

One more thing I noticed that might be causing me problemos is that the flukes appear not to be even, like a little bent apart. I wonder if not having the two symmetrical is an issue?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #34
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

My Bennington weighs over 5K lbs and my claw anchor (Lewmar) has never failed to hold us in place, even in a high wind.
Never liked the Danforth/fluke anchors but do use one to hold the bow because I can plant it with my foot in shallow water or directly on the beach
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
My Bennington weighs over 5K lbs and my claw anchor (Lewmar) has never failed to hold us in place, even in a high wind.
Never liked the Danforth/fluke anchors but do use one to hold the bow because I can plant it with my foot in shallow water or directly on the beach
How big is the Lewmar? Just curious.

I run a 22 LB Delta on the bow (windlass allows me to run big ground tackle without a hassle) and a 4.4 lb Lewmar claw on the stern of my 6000 lb boat. They both work well, but the Lewmar never fails to set where the delta sometimes lands upside down and won't self-right. I am always astounded by how much tension I can apply to the little Lewmar without getting it to release, even with 3:1 scope or worse. It's an impressive little anchor.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #36
4Fun

Quote:
I understand what you're getting at --what I'm trying to say is that MY anchor, when pulled flat across the lake floor, does not dig in but rather flips over. From my research and reading reviews of the Seachoice fluke-style anchor, either it's the angle the flukes are allowed to pivot to or bad design of the flukes that prevent the anchor from digging in.

The Fortress brand of fluke/Danforth anchor, and some others that people have success with, make specific note of the angle their flukes are limited to, the shape of the flukes, and not having a slip ring to flip the anchor backwards.

As Rattletrap noted above, what I posted is what he had that didn't work.

Check your anchor closely. My fluke anchor was slightly bent and the tips would not extend down all the way on one side. It looked OK until you looked closer. It would not set at all. Once I made sure it could flip flop back and forth properly it worked great.

I also zip tied the slip ring at the top and that helped a lot.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #37
Fortress Anchors

Thanks for your comments about our product and please find below more recent images:

image hosting

photo share

Safe anchoring,
Brian

http://fortressanchors.com
Fortress Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #38
Hillcountry

Quote:

Dan
Well, on ishoot308's recommendation I bought the Digger 15 lb anchor and have used it a few times at popular anchoring spots on the lake.
This thing DIGS and SETS immediately! I love it and the way it collapses by tugging on the rope (NO CHAIN, MIND YOU!)
Everywhere I have used it, it performs like an anchor should.
By contrast, I'm still using the freebie Danforth "style" anchor that comes with the boat for a stern anchor but it is literally, useless. Wind and wakes cause it to slip miserably, along the bottom, chain and all...when I retrieve it it feels like a dead fish...not the Digger!
Thanks, Ishoot308!

Last edited by Hillcountry; 09-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-19-2016)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #39
Winni_Bay

Default digger anchor

ok
Im tired of my cheap anchors not catching on our new 25 ft tritoon
just ordered a digger 15 lbs i will have it friday
will post how it does
thanks for great info on the digger

Dave
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #40
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni_Bay View Post
ok
will post how it does

Dave
Good luck with it. If it doesn't solve your problem, I've had great success with my Mantus, and a few friends have as well.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #41
Phantom

For what it's worth --- we just got a Fortress this year for our 26' Bowrider !

Admittedly - a tad expensive ($139), but has been working like a chap all season. My wife (windlass) loves it too because it is so light.

One trick I will share, as it is so light, it tends to "flutter" to the bottom (yes, even with the chain) as opposed to our older heavy style which sank immediately. You need to give it a minute or two to get down, then start your reversing motion.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #42
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni_Bay View Post
ok
will post how it does

Dave
Just remember NO CHAIN whatsoever!

You will love it!

Dan
Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #43
Patofnaud

Default Box... And a fluke...

I sandbar my 20ft toon a lot and when not on sand, it's in about 15ft of water in a cove.

Box anchor off the bow facing out toward the waves.
Fluke anchor off the stern facing shore.

Drop the box, give it a lot of scope, back up until it bites in (or walk out and jump up and down on it when really shallow).

Once the box is set, toss or walk the fluke out the stearn until it has scope, then set.

Eventually, I am looking to replace the fluke with one of those dent puller styles you hammer into the sand.

Edit: that digger does look nice.

Last edited by Patofnaud; 07-11-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #44
Winni_Bay

Default Digger

on the 4th we anchored just out side in braun bay the chepo anchor kept coming loose had 70 ft rope see this weekend with the digger

i will use the chain on back anchor

Thanks

Dave
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #45
Blyblvrd

I had the same issue for my 27' pontoon which is like an aircraft carrier in the wind when anchored on the lake. Based on another members suggestion I purchased a box anchor with an anchor buddy for the front and a shore-spike for the back of the boat. Both lines on Danik hooks for quickly taking up the slack. It is soooo much easier to anchor now and I do not have to worry about long anchor lines to make sure the traditional style anchor catches. I recommend this approach

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Everybody here has nailed the four most reliable anchors (per my research): Mantus, Fortress, Box, and Digger.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #47
Rich

A couple of years now and I really love my Mantus anchor. It works well in the various bottoms here on the lake.

Watch this video which compares popular bands: notice the short scope, of course a proper scope is best

https://youtu.be/4lsSWaJu_Rs

Here's another:

https://youtu.be/Sj_dPrjteGg

I like it so much, I may buy another small one to use as a stern anchor for use at the sand bars.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #48
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A couple of years now and I really love my Mantus anchor. It works well in the various bottoms here on the lake.

Watch this video which compares popular bands: notice the short scope, of course a proper scope is best

https://youtu.be/4lsSWaJu_Rs

Here's another:

https://youtu.be/Sj_dPrjteGg

I like it so much, I may buy another small one to use as a stern anchor for use at the sand bars.
While I am sure the Mantus is a good anchor, I find it interesting that in the video test of the other anchors, no chain was used. All those other anchors require at least 4' of chain to work or they simply won't dig in as depicted in the video. A proper test would have been to test as manufacturer designed them to be used, with chain...results would have been much different.

Dan
Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #49
thinkxingu

Quote:
While I am sure the Mantus is a good anchor, I find it interesting that in the video test of the other anchors, no chain was used. All those other anchors require at least 4' of chain to work or they simply won't dig in as depicted in the video. A proper test would have been to test as manufacturer designed them to be used, with chain...results would have been much different.

Dan
Yeah, though the anchor works exactly as they say, I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with some of their tests. I made my decision on a few others I'd found, one of which was the captain of a sailing vessel who used a GoPro to film how the anchors behaved both as manufacturers instructed and as he discovered worked. I think I linked the page in my official review, but if not it shouldn't be hard to find. VERY in-depth.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #50
ishoot308

Quote:
Yeah, though the anchor works exactly as they say, I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with some of their tests. I made my decision on a few others I'd found, one of which was the captain of a sailing vessel who used a GoPro to film how the anchors behaved both as manufacturers instructed and as he discovered worked. I think I linked the page in my official review, but if not it shouldn't be hard to find. VERY in-depth.

Yes I remember seeing that, it was good!

All boats react differently in waves and wake. What anchor works on one style boat may not work well on another. I can tell you that while I recommended a Digger for the OP on his pontoon I may not recommend it for another style boat simply because I have no experience with the other style or maybe they plan on using the boat in the ocean. I actually use a different anchor on my 22' Eastern...why, because it works and I am confident in it.

Pontoon boats are open living rooms on the water with a lot of exposed finished product, carpeting or other expensive floor options and really not the best for pulling up a muddy anchor and 4' of chain without making a mess. The Digger was designed for pontoon boats. Besides its holding power, the no chain design and ability to self clean and lay flat before putting it in your boat really are an advantage for pontoon owners to keep your boat damage free and free of bottom muck and mud. I couldn't imagine pulling up 4' of chain over my stainless floor side rails which encompass the entire perimeter of the boat without eventually marring them up somehow or damaging the floor eventually.

Now my Eastern Lobster with it's massive rub rail all around, it's self bailing rock solid deck which can be simply cleaned off with a bucket of water, as well as it no frills no bling interior, heck nothing can hurt that thing, it's a tank!! It's also my favorite boat and one I would never get rid of! I rarely anchor this boat and I actually forgot what I am using for an anchor on it (some kind of Danforth style) but it's mainly an emergency anchor. It was recommended and supplied by a dealer on the ocean who sold it to me. I do know it works very well on this boat and on Winni and I am confident in it. If I was running this boat on the ocean I would have two different style anchors, some sort of Danforth and some type of plow and scoop anchor for varying bottom and sea conditions. Luckily Winni is far from being the ocean and a one size fits all approach works just fine...

Dan
Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Dan, what you like--the ratcheting mechanism--is what threw me off on the Digger. Having been frustrated as all-get-out (!), the last thing I wanted was more mechanical pieces (indeed, also one of the reasons why the tester in the video below chose the anchor he did).

That being said, in the end all that matters is that the captain is comfortable with his tools, and it sounds like all the ones mentioned (Mantus, Digger, Box, Fortress) are good performers.

I had a few moments, so here are two of the sources I checked out when making my decision (for the super-nerdy!): http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-an...ce-testing.php and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59f-OjWoq0.

Cheers!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #52
AC2717

has anyone else seen at the sand bars what people are using now on the stern, they seem to make a lot of sense and much easier, which is a screw type bottom to twist into the sand and then it is attached to a sched40 grade PVC pipe or something like it depending on homemade, I asked a couple people about the, as they are starting to pop up and people are swearing by them

does anyone here have more information on them?
reason I posted this here is that it seems it would be an excellent solution for you and a cheaper price
Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #53
SIKSUKR

I see these auger type sand anchors all the time at ocean beachs.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #54
Phantom

I cannot in all honesty see that holding my 26 footer's stern at the Margate or West Alton on a windy or rough water day

Mid-week perhaps -- but not on a Saturday / Sunday

Old 07-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #55
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I see these auger type sand anchors all the time at ocean beachs.
those are it, I have even seen homemade ones, and people have said they work just as good