Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Captain Nemo

Default What Are Best Places To Anchor Out on Winni And Enjoy Views?

Any suggestions where to anchor out on Winni, chill out, and enjoy the mountain views? Preferably without getting run over by traffic? We're out of Moultonborough Bay, thanks!
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
AC2717

Haha, I applaud your efforts, I to have asked this before, and to no avail, just the places that are already well known are given, the hidden gems stay hidden for a reason,

But none the less, I would like to know this as well
Captain Nemo (07-01-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Go out during the week on a calm day, get about 1/2 way into the broads, kill the engine and enjoy!

Other than that yes there are places, but disclosing them won't keep them secret for long, but if you look around you'll find one without to much trouble. One thing I always do, and out of courtesy you all should try to do as well is find a place that is not right in front of or directly in the line of sight of a camp/house. If all else fails keep your eyes peeled at where others are anchored and check them out later.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
ApS

Cool Views: "Owned" or Borrowed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
"...Go out during the week on a calm day, get about 1/2 way into the broads, kill the engine and enjoy...!"
Maxum's right—once again. "Out there", the mountain views are as good as they get.

With no tree line to block your view, oncoming weather can be watched for. (To anticipate the occasional tall and building late-afternoon clouds of the Cumulo-ominous variety ).

When it's calm, The Broads are an under-utilized area for water skiing and tubing—for miles and miles, there are even folks tubing between towns!)

On weekdays, nobody's out there except for a fisherman (or two) and, at most...a half-dozen sailboats: once or twice a day, you might catch a cruise-by of The Mount...or the benevolent view of the NHMP—heading hither and yon.

Since I sail "engine-free" around The Broads nearly every summery day, I can attest to the scenic wonder of "The Smile of the Great Spirit".

Weekends
can be a different story......there is more than one "Cap'n B"!

Should your visit turn out windy, head upwind in The Broads—try just south of Welch Island...shut off the engine and take in the ever-changing mountain views—for hours. Few discover the magic of the Lake's largest open area—with peaceful views and quietude—no anchoring required.

Alternatively, many lakeside homes are still not occupied this early in the season: While you won't have the unlimited scenic views offered by The Broads, you could anchor in the shallows there just to "borrow" their view.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Go out during the week on a calm day, get about 1/2 way into the broads, kill the engine and enjoy!

Other than that yes there are places, but disclosing them won't keep them secret for long, but if you look around you'll find one without to much trouble. One thing I always do, and out of courtesy you all should try to do as well is find a place that is not right in front of or directly in the line of sight of a camp/house. If all else fails keep your eyes peeled at where others are anchored and check them out later.
Hi Maxum, I am not sure if it is possible to find a place that is like that!!

Cap't Nemo, I like floating in the middle of Moultonborough Bay. I sent you a PM on another suggestion.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Here's One

There are places along the shores of Rattlesnake Island that would be nice to anchor to enjoy the views... on a calm day though.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Captain Nemo

Default This lake is a gem

Thanks guys for all the answers. The general consensus is that this lake offers truly amazing views anywhere you go, it really does. Of course respecting people and their property is always on my mind when I drop the anchor, and I always look for an "uninhabited" stretch of shore too...

By the way, this lake of ours is probably one of the prettiest and most attractive in the US (the islands + views + rarely seen size)! And Europe too, trust me, I was born there, left at age 23. Happy 4th of July everyone!

Capt. Nemo / Moultonborough
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default So that's you out there!

Quote:

We do the exact same thing. We come out of Lake Shore Park, head off towards Long Island, cut the engine and drift. It's not unusal to see 3 or 4 other boats doing the same thing.

Name:  Winni.JPG
Views: 3194
Size:  48.0 KB

We go out about a half hout before sunset. Nice views all around, and you can catch a moon rise and a sunset.

These are from a couple of years ago.

Name:  SunSet MoonRise 9-25-07  22.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  36.5 KB

moonrise

Name:  SunSet MoonRise 9-25-07  45.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  25.1 KB

It's important to pick the right kind of day, not too windy and not too busy on the lake. Lot's of times a midweek or Sunday work out best.
Captain Nemo (07-03-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Grady223

Between Little Barndoor and Sewall Point for the sunset.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
cowisl

I love the view from our place. You can find these all over. Just get out there and explore
Attached Images

cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Don't Get Caught

I like to go out on the Broads after sunset and shut off the engine and lights and look UP at the stars. Sometimes you can even see Satellites, Shooting Stars and maybe even the Space Station fly by. Satellites look like stars, but move across the sky, and they don't twinkle like stars.

Running lights (strobes) on high flying planes usually flash so you can identify and differentiate them from satellites. If it shows a wake or tail it's a shooting star or meteor.

Be prepared to turn your lights ON if a boat looks like it may pass close to your position. I've always wondered what the correct lights to display should be when Drifting at night. You're not anchored so that's out. You're not underway so the running lights don't seem correct.

I think Drifting at night without lights is a probably a Punishable Criminal Offense...Totally NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

Be prepared to turn your lights ON if a boat looks like it may pass close to your position. I've always wondered what the correct lights to display should be when Drifting at night. You're not anchored so that's out. You're not underway so the running lights don't seem correct.

I think Drifting at night without lights is a probably a Punishable Criminal Offense...Totally NB
Not knowing for sure, I'd say you should have your full running lights on while drifting, since you are effectively moving. Either way, lights on regardless of how it ruins your private gazing. Many an accident has been caused, or has been suspected of being caused, by boats on navigable waters without lights.

I know the USCG requires a boat that is drifting to have their navigation lights on. Anchoring in navigable channel is a violation of Federal law. I would think that this law would pertain to the lake as well.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
jrc

I think if you aint tied to an achor, a mooring or a dock, you are underway and should use that light. Usually thats a red and a green plus white all around.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Guy

If you drift in the broads just be careful if everyone goes swimming at the same time. The wind can cause the boat can get away from you. Just be careful. We have seen families trying to catch their boat. I considered getting a device that is like an underwater sail that slows the boat in these conditions. Then I discovered I enjoy sitting on the boat and watching the mountains just fine.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #15
ApS

Cool Ocean Practices vs. Winnipesaukee's Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"...Be prepared to turn your lights ON if a boat looks like it may pass close to your position. I've always wondered what the correct lights to display should be when Drifting at night. You're not anchored so that's out. You're not underway so the running lights don't seem correct. I think Drifting at night without lights is a probably a Punishable Criminal Offense...."
There is a proper lighting sequence for a vessel that isn't "under command" (but moving). In a busy boating circumstance, I'd use common sense.

Just a reminder that anchoring at night on Lake Winnipesaukee is not permitted; also, that the Captain is the sole party responsible for safe operation of the vessel—and the safe return of his passengers—regardless of the lighting of any object or hazard.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
There is a proper lighting sequence for a vessel that isn't "under command" (but moving). In a busy boating circumstance, I'd use common sense.

Just a reminder that anchoring at night on Lake Winnipesaukee is not permitted; also, that the Captain is the sole party responsible for safe operation of the vessel—and the safe return of his passengers—regardless of the lighting of any object or hazard.
APS,

What is the proper sequence? I When I float at night, I typically light the bow (R/G) light and the stern (white) light. Like others have noted you are not technically anchored. I really am not sure though.

Regarding anchoring is the rule you cannot anchor at night or is it that you cannot anchor overnight?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
jrc

Overnight anchoring:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-A/270-A-3.htm

Definition of a houseboat:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-A/270-A-1.htm
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Default Parachute anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
If you drift in the broads just be careful if everyone goes swimming at the same time. The wind can cause the boat can get away from you. Just be careful. We have seen families trying to catch their boat. I considered getting a device that is like an underwater sail that slows the boat in these conditions. Then I discovered I enjoy sitting on the boat and watching the mountains just fine.
That would be a parachute anchor RG. I'm looking for a smaller one for my PWC.
http://www.paraanchor.com/info.rigsystem.html
http://www.sea-anchors.com/index.htm
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
jrc

Drifting does not mean not under command:

"The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel."

There are no special lights for drifting
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
MikeF-NH

an alternative to hitting the Broads is just the opposite. Look at the Bizer for areas that are tough to navigate like areas west of The Graveyard. No boats will come through and you can get some really nice areas around that island group.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #21
ApS

Red face Viewing of Mountains at Night Not Significant Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
APS,

What is the proper sequence? I When I float at night, I typically light the bow (R/G) light and the stern (white) light. Like others have noted you are not technically anchored. I really am not sure though.

Regarding anchoring is the rule you cannot anchor at night or is it that you cannot anchor overnight?
Shorthand for the sequence of lights is NUC or, "Not Under Command". It's an alternative to using the stern (white) light; unfortunately, the rule-makers decided to use the conditional phrase, "exceptional".

Exceptional Conditions is most often taken as, "The engine has seized, but we are still making way"; as usual, some operators interpret "exceptional" as, "We are waiting and drifting, we've turned the engine off, and we are below deck watching TV".

The NUC light sequence is two red 380° lights arrayed vertically—with the white light off. (Link posted here previously).

Since it's the white light that robs your night vision—among seafarers, anyway—that display would make sense to me. However, it is also fairly likely that some would see the "two red 380° lights arrayed vertically"—as a sign to "Free Beer!"

Another consideration for dousing the white light is that an approaching boat could consider a boat adrift at night as one being powered in reverse—intentionally!

(Particularly if using the sea-anchor discussed earlier).

As to anchoring at night...that is a legal question for the anchoring captain: As a captain approaches an anchored boat, there is no distinction between a boat anchoring at night—or one anchoring-overnight.

New Hampshire's confused "houseboat-issue" has been pretty well been beaten-up here previously—so we all know that "Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse".
Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Guy

APS,
You used the term 380 degrees twice so I suspect it is not a typo.
But what does it mean?
Thanks
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
ApS

Red face Autoharp Needed...

Quote:
APS,
You used the term 380 degrees twice so I suspect it is not a typo.
But what does it mean?
Thanks
Just erred

ETA:

Play this in another tab while reading the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvt2Y5zrzx8

When I mashed too many numbers, then I—
Deleted then copied the wrong digits, when I—
Got hurried after a crash of the first version, and I—
Got Randy VanWarmer's song stuck in my brain...

-------------------------------------------
Here's the song that's stuck in my brain
-------------------------------------------

You packed in the morning, I stared out the window
And I struggled for something to say
You left in the rain without closing the door
I didn't stand in your way

Now I miss you more than I missed you before
And now where I'll find comfort, God knows
'Cause you left me just when I needed you most
Left me just when I needed you most

Now most every morning, I stare out the window
And I think about where you might be
I've written you letters that I'd like to send
If you would just send one to me

You packed in the morning, I stared out the window
And I struggled for something to say
You left in the rain without closing the door
I didn't stand in your way

'Cause I need you more than I needed before
Left me just when I needed you most

Now I love you more than I loved you before
You left me just when I needed you most

Last edited by ApS; 03-17-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Found video & lyrics, added same...
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Remember Safety on the Lake!

Quote:
If you drift in the broads just be careful if everyone goes swimming at the same time. The wind can cause the boat can get away from you. Just be careful. We have seen families trying to catch their boat.
On occasion we see a swimmer get off a boat and the boat drifts away.

On June 19th, this swimmer initially went out without a swim aid on this breezy day. Eventually someone on the boat threw him a swim noodle and then the boat drifted further away.

I believe that a swimmer left out in open water without a dive flag or something very visible is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
VtSteve

That's just dumb right there. Was he wearing a red swim cap ?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Swimmer in The Broads

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
That's just dumb right there. Was he wearing a red swim cap ?
No swim cap.

Before receiving the noodle - blends in quite well.

After getting the noodle - slightly more visible.

Close up of the first shot as a boat passes rather close to the swimmer.
The noodle must be under him.

I will say that most boaters with swimmers are more careful than these folks were. Often, the swimmers will be wearing life vests.

Even with the busy fourth of July weekend, there were many boats drifting out on The Broads enjoying the lake. Wakes and all.

I think MikeF-NH might be on to something.

I have to wonder if there is a nice place to anchor over near Melvin Village?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
Broken Glass

Coming across the perfect view in the midst of a boat ride is half of the fun of being on the water. Once you cast off and get under way, you have the same view as anyone else on the lake, shoreline property owners included. In fact, most of the time you have a better view than anyone on the shore. Go for a ride. Enjoy the constantly changing views. Then thank God for creating boats!!!
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote