Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
JimMel

Default GPS - Use and Theft

I just boutght a Horizon 180 and was wondering a couple of things:

1. Are there any issues with theft? Is it safe to leave on the dash in the boat or do people recommend taking it with them when they leave?

2. The user guide is not that friendly. Does anyone have any recommendations for learning to use it? Can you put in points of interest like restaurants, etc?

Thanks to all.
JimMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Kamper

I've seen them left out even at the public docks but that would make me nervous. If you have the console space you might want to consider flush mounting your GPS to make it harder to remove.

Mine is on an exposed mount but I put it in a lockable console when I am away from the boat. I have seen others with just a cover thrown over them.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

It depends where I am docked at, but I too have an exposed mount where my GPS can very easily be taken on or off. I find most boaters to be a very honest group of people. However at some town docks where the public and tourists have easy access, I simply take it off and put it out of sight just to be safe.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Gps

I would not leave mine out. Its usually pretty easy to connect and disconnect and hide it when your at a public place.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
JimMel

Thanks for the info.

I'll check to see how to remove it and just do that since it is mounted.

Any thoughts on learning how to use it? Just trial and error I suppose?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMel View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'll check to see how to remove it and just do that since it is mounted.

Any thoughts on learning how to use it? Just trial and error I suppose?
JimMel,

I assume you got the bizer map chip? If not that is the absolute necessity. It overlays all the buys/marinas/gas stops and other such information. Most important the nav aids and buoys. Other than that there is no real "learning." It basically tracks your position and you can zoom in and out for detail. Assuming you have a paper chart and knowledge of the lake it is a great supplement to navigation.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
JimMel

Yes I did get the bizer map chip.

I will let you know how I make out.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Rinkerguy

Default Bizer Chip

What marinas carry the Bizer Chip?
How much?
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
JonLevis

I got my Bizer chip at Irwin last year...I want to say I paid $90 for it. Worth every penny. Makes the 180 much more user friendly.

As for stowage...when I am docked, the unit comes off and is stowed inside. It is a quick and easy dismount and a single plug. It is worth the extra 15 seconds than having to spend another $500...btw, anyone wanna buy gas for the Manitou?

GO SOX!!!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
JimMel

JonLevis,

So the unit just snaps off from the mount like a car GPS?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
JonLevis

Not quite that easy, but it does come off the pedestal with a single thumb screw. Very easy to take off. The wiring plug is idiot proof too, you can't plug it in wrong, even if you tried!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
Phantom

Interesting ...........

Although in todays world you should probably never tempt fate, I on the otherhand rarely take my GPS off the dash (the radio is also pretty visible just below).

Many years in the past, when we use to tie up at a Town Docks for any extended period (lunch or dinner) I was inclined to not only remove the electronics from site but I would additionally lock the battery switch in the "off" position. This habit has long since passed ....... part of my rationale is that although we have (what we consider) a pretty nice boat (Crownline 24' bowrider) -- there's always a bigger and better boat on the slips to mess with ............... Don't get me wrong, on the other hand - I would never leave the keys in the ignition (even though I know a child could hotwire a boat ignition)

Point is -- back to topic -- I don't think I've ever heard of any theft or malicious damage occurring at any Public Docks...

I'd certainly change my habits back if I were informed otherwise
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Dave R

I find Standard Horizon's manuals to be really comprehensive. I suppose a quick start guide would be nice, but I think you'll find that the "on/off", "zoom" and "clear" buttons will do pretty much everything you need to do, during the day.

Play with all the menu options when you have a chance. There's a lot the thing can do.

On my 155C, the on/off doubles as the display brightness button. Simply press it for less than a second and when released, you will be in a menu for changing the display brightness. It's handy at night since even the "night mode" can be too bright.

I don't have a Bizer chip. I have a C-Map Max Megawide chip that covers The coast from the Bay of Fundy to Barnegat Bay NJ, plus rivers and lakes in the area (including Winni and Squam). It seems to have the Bizer data in it for Winni though. My recollection is that it has all kinds of restaurant and marina data as well. Mine even has photos of bridges and landmarks of interest.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
Cobalt 25

I have been leaving my Loran/GPS/chartplotter in plain view for many many years and never had any issues. My "security" measure means putting the ignition key in a cup holder, usually, but not every time. I don't want my life to be dictated by a culture of fear. Do bad things happen? Sure, but in all my years of trusting human nature I cannot recall ever being burned. Selective memory? Maybe...!

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
... My "security" measure means putting the ignition key in a cup holder, ...

Peter
Okay folks. From now on we all try to park next to Cobalt 25's!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Standard Horizon CP180i

I have the CP180i with the C-Map chip of the lake. The 180i is very capable with a lot of user options. The user interface, however, is not all that user friendly or intuitive, nothing like my wife’s Nuvi 660 or my Garmin hand held for ease of use. The 180i does not have an auto (time of day) switch to night mode display. And if you switch to night mode manually (down in the menu) then the switch back to day mode is difficult as menu choices are not highlighted in the night mode. Kind of like menu hunting in the dark.

I mounded the 180i on a wood base with a non-skid pad so I can place the unit on the dash when needed and otherwise it is stowed away.

I got the 180i because of the Bizer C-MAP chart compatibility. The C-MAP chart is great (should be for $140), has everything on the paper chart and is very accurate.

As we have the Nuvi 660, maybe the $9.99 download Wini chart from Garmin is worth a try.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote