Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Boating Accidents down in 2013

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/140519645

Good article from Lt Dunleavey, accident down substantially in 2013 because of boater's safety course. Not much change in BUI unfortunately.

Boat registrations have never recovered since 2007.
Just Sold (05-14-2014), trfour (05-14-2014), upthesaukee (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I noticed the article said Lt. Dunleavey...

I thought he had been promoted to Captain, either last year or the year before. Or am I dreaming in his behalf?

I also wonder if last year's statistics may be down more due to the not so great summer weather than boater education. I know our boat use was down quite a bit last year over the 2012 season. Additionally, the Marine Patrol staff had been cut dramatically last year, if I remember correctly, and that could also account for a reduction is citations. Fewer officers on patrol equals less chances to catch the violators.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
jrc

Fewer accidents and especially fewer deaths are always good news and I'm glad to hear that news. Maybe my recent skepticism on the boater training is unfounded, maybe something is sinking in.

On the other hand, fewer arrests are not always a good sign. Surely less crime is good, but fewer arrests can because of less crime or fewer police.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Default Dunleavey

There was an announcement last year or the year before that Dunleavey was promoted to Captain, and I can remember the title Captain on a letterhead. Sounds like the reporter is being biased? (Most reporters are )
Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Good article from Lt Dunleavey, accident down substantially in 2013 because of boater's safety course. Not much change in BUI unfortunately.
I am very skeptical of this remark. While the Boater Safety course is easy to point at, to really quantify that the safe boater course is the cause of the accident reduction is another thing entirely.

Many things are playing a role, the economy, few people with disposable income, means fewer people boating... Weather..... all play a role in this.... I am not saying that this is a false statement. I am just saying that something behind the statement needs to back it up.... I think that the Safe Boater Certificate is still flawed. It certainly better now that you have to take a proctored exam. However it still leaves a lot to be desired.....
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I thought he had been promoted to Captain, either last year or the year before. Or am I dreaming in his behalf?
http://www.maritimesecurityeast.com/...rs/45-dunleavy
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Knomad

LIforrelaxin:

I agree that there are many factors that influence the reduction in reported accidents, however I don't understand your comment about the "flawed" Boaters Education Course that "leaves a lot to be desired".
Can you please elaborate?
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Billy Bob

Default Flawed result

There is no data whatsoever that would indicate that a written course with no on water verification of ability has been the cause of the better statistics.

All that course has done is reduce the number of vacationers that come to the lake. Especially folks from Massachusetts who are inconvenienced because their boating course isn't recognized. ( I'm not from Mass , My Florida course is recognized in NH )
Also , in Florida where we have had a large increase in tourism and boating this past year we have also had a decrease in accidents , and we DON'T require any boating certification.
The flaw is this is just another requirement that is driving away tourism.

Off subject , the new ,constant police stops on Rt 25 in Moultonboro just after Center Harbor will not make tourists feel great about the lake either .
Live with minimal regulation or die !
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Rusty

The senate bill passed as amended, 268-79.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
LIforrelaxin:

I agree that there are many factors that influence the reduction in reported accidents, however I don't understand your comment about the "flawed" Boaters Education Course that "leaves a lot to be desired".
Can you please elaborate?
Why do I say the current Safe Boaters Education Course is Flawed, and leaves a lot to be desired??? That easy...

1. Nothing helps people learn better then experience!!!!
2. People take this course and are left with the feeling that they are "Licensed" to operate a boat. I don't blame the State for this, or the course... it is just how most people feel afterwards... the don't capture the fact that all the course is, is a lesson on safety, and protocol.
3. This course is taught in a class room. With the examine happening at the conclusion of the course. In short there is no proof of memory retention of the facts taught in the course.
4. Being taught only in a class room, leave no possibility of experiencing real world situations, in real time, when you must re-act to a set of circumstances.

The bottom line is having to get a Safe Boating Certificate, is nothing more the a way to satisfy and calm the masses that pushed for tougher regulations on the water. While it has helped in some respects, I still see way to many boaters on the water, that don't have a clue as to what they are doing.... For instance this weekend I watched a cruiser come into NO-WAKE Zone in front of trexlers, running on plane, and not slowing until they where well past the no-wake marker. In the last two years, I have not had a boat correctly yield the right of way, and I can go on and on, but I will get off my soap box...
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post

All that course has done is reduce the number of vacationers that come to the lake. Especially folks from Massachusetts who are inconvenienced because their boating course isn't recognized. ( I'm not from Mass , My Florida course is recognized in NH )
Also , in Florida where we have had a large increase in tourism and boating this past year we have also had a decrease in accidents , and we DON'T require any boating certification.
The flaw is this is just another requirement that is driving away tourism.
Alienate the boaters / vacationers and reduce traffic = reduced accidents, I agree 100%. We have friends that can come stay with us for free but still find it too restrictive to do so. I can't imagine why people that have to rent a hotel to boat here would want to.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The senate bill passed as amended, 268-79.
That is the not the bill about the Safe Boater Education Requirement.... that is about another topic, which has nothing to do with the content of this thread.

Don't pull this thread into that mess
Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
That is the not the bill about the Safe Boater Education Requirement.... that is about another topic, which has nothing to do with the content of this thread.

Don't pull this thread into that mess
But you said: "Many things are playing a role, the economy, few people with disposable income, means fewer people boating... Weather..... all play a role in this"

Then why can't I have my opinion?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I look at it this way.

No question there are fewer people out on the lake and as prices of everything rise I suspect that will continue to decrease over time. Boats are ungodly expensive and gas isn't cheap either. Even rich people have to be wincing a bit when filling up those 100 gallon tanks with 4+ dollar gas. Less people out there the less to get into accidents.

Nice try on the SL being the reason why, not buying it.

That safety course is both good and bad. There are things that everyone cannot hear enough times about general boating rules, etiquette and how to navigate, handle emergency situations etc... on the flip side it doesn't make you drive or handle a boat any better, nor does it make you a seasoned captain. Only experience behind the wheel can do that.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
But you said: "Many things are playing a role, the economy, few people with disposable income, means fewer people boating... Weather..... all play a role in this"

Agree with the point, however, my friends with disposable income and boats are going to other places now, as this is too restrictive. They would come to the lake and nearby areas and spend $$ in marinas, restaurants, arcades, attractions for the kids etc. They must really not like these laws to get their boats all salty, and that says a lot .

Along with the great news on reduced boat accidents, does anyone have summer economic spend reports since 2009?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
Rusty

Whatever the reasons were to make this happen, I am glad that accidents are down substantially in 2013. I wish nothing but the best for people who use and enjoy this great Lake.
KPW (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
Bear Islander

I would have to agree that the "cowboy atmosphere" on the lake has been dropping since 2008. I think this has more to do with the drop in accidents than boater education.

The only change in boater education in 2008 was that operators over 50 years old needed certificates. It was phased in a little each year starting in 2002. I doubt operators over 50 were causing enough accidents to skew the data.

I think something else must have happened in 2008 to changed things on Winni.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I would have to agree that the "cowboy atmosphere" on the lake has been dropping since 2008. I think this has more to do with the drop in accidents than boater education.

The only change in boater education in 2008 was that operators over 50 years old needed certificates. It was phased in a little each year starting in 2002. I doubt operators over 50 were causing enough accidents to skew the data.

I think something else must have happened in 2008 to changed things on Winni.
Wasn't that the year the economy took a nose dive, and gas prices were at an all time high?
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
DEJ

Default Marine patrol knows best

I will side with the expert here and that is Lt Dunleavey who states "accidents down substantially in 2013 because of boater's safety course".
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-14-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I will side with the expert here and that is Lt Dunleavey who states "accidents down substantially in 2013 because of boater's safety course".
I have no idea what the reason is. However, the state official will always support the state's position. That is the way government works and why it is so dangerous. Learn to question authority.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with the safety certificates/courses either. I haven't noticed a bit of difference in the way people drive boats since the certificates were required. In fact, maybe I see a lot drive worse?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #22
Seaplane Pilot

They can spin and sugar coat it any way they want, but the fact remains that substantially less boat volume results in less accidents/incidents. On the other hand, I'd like to see what percentage of the accidents that they did record were caused by rental boats. You know, those people that are given the on-site "quiz" by the same guy that's renting the boat to someone? That same guy that will lose out on his $400.00 revenue if he flunks the person taking the test for not knowing the first thing about driving a boat, boating rules, or most importantly SAFETY.

They might as well implement the same policy for renting a plane at Laconia Airport. Take the quiz, jump in and take off.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (05-15-2014), LIforrelaxin (05-16-2014), Webbsatwinni (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #23
chipj29

I can’t read the article, but is it the number of accidents that was lower, or the percentage of accidents?

If the number of accidents is lower, it could be because there are fewer boats on the lake.
If the percentage of accidents is lower, it could be because of many reasons as mentioned upthread.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #24
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default States hand picking data that supports their policies?

In the 1990's there was a significant crime drop n the nation. Politicians and law enforcement, of course, took the credit for the drop citing plans implemented by them. Turns out the data shows there were other factors involved that nobody really took into account.
I'm sure the drop in accidents on the lake has something to do with the boaters education course, it doesn't make you a good boater but it's better than nothing. I'm also sure, like the 90's crime drop, there's a lot more to the decrease than just a basic boating test.

Here were some factors that were thought to be the reason for the crime drop in the 90's but, according to the data weren't:
– The strong economy
– The increased use of capital punishment
– Innovative policing strategies
– Gun control laws
– Concealed weapons laws
– The aging of the population

On the other hand, these were four major factors that, according to the data, were responsible for the crime drop:
– Increased reliance on prisons
– Increased number of police
– The bursting of the crack bubble
– The legalization of abortion

This is a link to the paper written by one of the economists who studied the data. http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...yCrime2004.pdf
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Along with the great news on reduced boat accidents, does anyone have summer economic spend reports since 2009?

Plymouth State University issues a report every year in the tourist industry to NH Business Review. I have yet to look for last year's report but I do remember reading that NH have lagged behind our neighboring states in recovering from the 2008 recession. Lakes Region area had taken a big hit. As you know boat registration is down, and for the first time in decades there are slips available at marinas year round. No more waiting lists.
Many restaurants and hostelry are for sale or closed. There are many vacancies in the area on prime weekends and events. I could go on and on!

Take a look at https://www.plymouth.edu/institute-f...-tourism-data/ and see if you can find what you want.
Webbsatwinni (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I can’t read the article, but is it the number of accidents that was lower, or the percentage of accidents?

If the number of accidents is lower, it could be because there are fewer boats on the lake.
If the percentage of accidents is lower, it could be because of many reasons as mentioned upthread.
All the reductions are in raw counts not in percentage.

So a reduction of 4 accidents from 42 is about 10 percent in one year. All the article says about boat count is that it was around 93K registered statewide last year and well over 100K in 2007. So we need a little more data.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
Bear Islander

Bureaucrats being what they are will always give full credit to the legislation they initiated, supported and endorsed.

They will not give due credit to legislation they disliked, fought against and had jammed down their throats.

That's just human nature.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
They will not give due credit to legislation they disliked, fought against and had jammed down their throats.
Especially if they know it is needless and virtually impossible to enforce or implement.

I am not sure what your definition of a bureaucrat is, but I do not consider the NH MP to be a bureaucracy.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
DEJ (05-15-2014), LIforrelaxin (05-16-2014), Seaplane Pilot (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #29
DEJ

Ditto here on the bureaucrat thing. Marine Patrol is definately not a bureaucracy. They are professionals and from what I have witnessed tell it like it is.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
MAXUM

Quote:
Bureaucrats being what they are will always give full credit to the legislation they initiated, supported and endorsed.

That's just human nature.
All the more reason to keep the number of bureaucrats to a minimum as they serve no purpose what so ever!

Sadly the legislative process has become so toxic it's a wonder anything gets done... and when it does it's usually wrong.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #31
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Another View:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
They can spin and sugar coat it any way they want, but the fact remains that substantially less boat volume results in less accidents/incidents. On the other hand, I'd like to see what percentage of the accidents that they did record were caused by rental boats. You know, those people that are given the on-site "quiz" by the same guy that's renting the boat to someone? That same guy that will lose out on his $400.00 revenue if he flunks the person taking the test for not knowing the first thing about driving a boat, boating rules, or most importantly SAFETY.

They might as well implement the same policy for renting a plane at Laconia Airport. Take the quiz, jump in and take off.
Well, the lake did just fine for the 100 or so years before the "test" and education were a requirement.

But: The onsite "quiz" (test) is by computer online with the state so the "guy that's renting the boat to someone" does not choose to pass or fail the individual, the state does. And, the Marine Patrol does random spot checks of the testing facility to ensure that the rules are being followed. And, the person operating the testing facility must take a state course to be certified to administer the test.

But: Didn't most of us start out without knowing a thing about driving a boat, boating rules or boating safety?

Most boating accidents continue to prove that no matter how many times the government tries you can't legislate common sense!

And, because you mentioned it: I had to take David Emerson at Laconia Airport for a ride in one of his airplanes before he would allow me to rent them!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #32
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

"You can't legislate common sense." You are so right! That applies to so many things.

I was in a boat as a baby so grew up watching my father drive and him teaching us. But if you didn't grow up that way, you of course just got in a boat and learned by yourself.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #33
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Well, the lake did just fine for the 100 or so years before the "test" and education were a requirement.

But: The onsite "quiz" (test) is by computer online with the state so the "guy that's renting the boat to someone" does not choose to pass or fail the individual, the state does. And, the Marine Patrol does random spot checks of the testing facility to ensure that the rules are being followed. And, the person operating the testing facility must take a state course to be certified to administer the test.

But: Didn't most of us start out without knowing a thing about driving a boat, boating rules or boating safety?

Most boating accidents continue to prove that no matter how many times the government tries you can't legislate common sense!

And, because you mentioned it: I had to take David Emerson at Laconia Airport for a ride in one of his airplanes before he would allow me to rent them!
I agree, we were fine for the last hundred years and they should have left things alone. But unfortunately, they didn't. Rather, they rammed feel-good legislation through under the guise of "SAFETY", but it really had little to do with safety. Because if it did, then they would require renters to go through the same test requirements as the State requires for a bona-fide Boater's Certificate.

Now, speaking of airplanes...Yes, you took Mr. Emerson for a ride in one of his planes before he let you rent. But, you had to have a pilot's license in order to do so. He can't rent to someone with no experience or license, which was my point.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #34
Bear Islander

Quote:
Ditto here on the bureaucrat thing. Marine Patrol is definately not a bureaucracy. They are professionals and from what I have witnessed tell it like it is.
Merriam-Webster

bureaucrat

bu·reau·crat noun \ˈbyu̇r-ə-ˌkrat, ˈbyər-\

1. a person who is one of the people who run a government or big company and who does everything according to the rules of that government or company
2. a person who is part of a bureaucracy
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #35
jrc

I think the pejorative tone implies the second definition in these common definitions bureaucrat, but of course you knew that...

bu·reau·crat (byo͝or′ə-krăt′)
n.
1. An official of a bureaucracy.

2. An official who is rigidly devoted to the details of administrative procedure.

bu′reau·crat′ic adj.

bu′reau·crat′i·cal·ly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

bureaucrat (ˈbjʊərəˌkræt)
n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an official in a bureaucracy

2. an official who adheres to bureaucracy, esp rigidly
bureaucratism n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

bu•reau•crat (ˈbyʊər əˌkræt)

n.
1. an official of a bureaucracy.

2. an official who works by fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgment.

[1835–45; < French bureaucrate. See -crat]

bu`reau•crat′ic, adj.

bu`reau•crat′i•cal•ly, adv.

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #36
DEJ

Back on topic, no dictionary lesson needed. Lt. Dunleavey speaks his mind, he is a professional and from what I have witnessed tells it like it is. I trust his and only his judgement on this matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #37
Bear Islander

Quote:
Back on topic, no dictionary lesson needed. Lt. Dunleavey speaks his mind, he is a professional and from what I have witnessed tells it like it is. I trust his and only his judgement on this matter.
In the first place CAPTAIN Dunleavy has had that rank for several years now.

In the second place I am glad to see your opinion of him has improved since you openly criticized his handling of the Erica Blizzard investigation.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #38
DEJ

Quote:
In the first place CAPTAIN Dunleavy has had that rank for several years now.

In the second place I am glad to see your opinion of him has improved since you openly criticized his handling of the Erica Blizzard investigation.
Thanks for the correction about CAPTAIN Dunleavey, that is a well deserved promotion.

Regarding Erica, I think many openly criticized him for that, everyone makes mistakes.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #39
Billy Bob

Quote:
Thanks for the correction about CAPTAIN Dunleavey, that is a well deserved promotion.

Regarding Erica, I think many openly criticized him for that, everyone makes mistakes.
But you also said you trust his on only his judgment but now you agree he makes mistakes.
You would be fun in a deposition
Old 05-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #40
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
But you also said you trust his on only his judgment but now you agree he makes mistakes.
You would be fun in a deposition
Billy Bob, please point out where I said HE meaning CAPTAIN Dunleavey made a mistake. You would be eaten up in a deposition.

Now back on topic, For the record Captain Dunleavey speaks his mind, he is a professional and from what I have witnessed tells it like it is. He said "accident's down substantially in 2013 because of boater's safety course".

Please start another thread if you wish to discuss something other than Boating Accidents down in 2013.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #41
Bear Islander

Quote:

I must agree everyone makes mistakes. I think the Captain does a great job most of the time. Not giving due credit to 2008 legislation is one of his few mistakes.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #42
Rusty

Quote:
I must agree everyone makes mistakes. I think the Captain does a great job most of the time. Not giving due credit to 2008 legislation is one of his few mistakes.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #43
DEJ

Quote:
I am confident if the Captain thought something in addition to the boating safety course was a contributor he would have mentioned it.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #44
Rusty

Quote:
I am confident if the Captain thought something in addition to the boating safety course was a contributor he would have mentioned it.
Evidently you didn't read the report so here it is:

In the past five years, the number of accidents has declined or held steady, as has the number of fatalities.

There are a number of reasons for that, Dunleavy said.

The state’s mandatory boating education law, which was phased in, took full effect in 2008. It requires anyone 16 and older who’s operating a motorboat over 25 horsepower or a ski craft to have a boating education certificate. There are in-person and online class options and the state accepts certificates from other states and the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

About 160,000 boat operators have been certified through the state’s boating education program, Dunleavy said.

That’s part of the reason for the decline in accidents and deaths, he said.

But weather and a decline in recreational boat registrations have contributed.

“The trend nationally for boat registrations has been down,” Dunleavy said. “A lot of people will point to the economy. New Hampshire is a seasonal boating state. Put the economy on top of that and people make choices; recreation can take a back seat to other needs.”

He said boat registrations in the state peaked around 2006-2007, with some 115,000 recreational vessels registered. Last year, there were 92,046 boats registered, down slightly from 2012.

Weather matters, too, he said.

When it rains a lot, there are fewer boaters out, but there’s a plus side to that, Dunleavy said.

“There’s a lot of granite in New Hampshire and it comes up in lakes as large rocks or shoals,” he said. “When we get a lot of rain, the water level is higher and there are fewer collisions (with rocks).”

There were 40 recreational boating accidents in the state last year. The causes, in descending order, were grounding, colliding with another boat, a skier mishap, flooding or swamping, and a variety of other causes.

The primary causes for boating accidents nationally are operator inattention, improper outlook, operator inexperience and excessive speed, according to the Coast Guard report.

Marine Patrol officers typically issue 1,500 to 2,000 tickets a year, Dunleavy said. The number of warnings issued is four or five times that.

Many are for moving violations, he said, speeding, proximity to other boats, improper display of lights at night.

In addition to patrolling the state’s waters, the Marine Patrol also responds to island police calls.

“In New Hampshire, we have numerous bodies of water with island populations in the summer and they have medical aid calls, domestic violence calls, burglary calls,” Dunleavy said. “Whatever happens in town happens on islands and we respond to those calls.”

Dunleavy said the Marine Patrol is actively recruiting more officers, but the staff he has “can adequately respond to public safety demands.”

The ice is out, Memorial Day is fast approaching and the unit is ready for the season to begin in earnest.

“Usually, once we see the kids out of school, the switch really is turned on,” Dunleavy said.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #45
DEJ

You are correct he did mention several other factors that could be reasons for the decline in accidents. I was referring to a statement made about some 2008 legislation that someone mentioned and did a poor job of responding to that. Thanks for pointing out there are other factors according to the Captain that accidents are down. I believe he pretty much covered all of them.

Last edited by DEJ; 05-18-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #46
Billy Bob

Default Den

You sure get your shorts all bunched up if anyone criticizes the Admiral .
( gave him a field promotion ) what's with that ? You related ?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #47
Rusty

Just for the record and I'm sure the Captain would appreciate it, his name is Dunleavy and not Dunleavey.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
DEJ

Thanks Rusty, correct spelling of his name noted.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #49
Lakegeezer

Default Gps

As long as we are speculating, increased use of GPS is likely to keep people from grounding or hitting a rock. The maps are getting better and using Bizer's suggested routes keeps you far from trouble.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #50
Bear Islander

It's an interesting coincidence that the report mentions the Marine Patrol providing police services on islands. That was a issue raised in the recent "Ideal Island" thread.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #51
codeman671

Quote:
It's an interesting coincidence that the report mentions the Marine Patrol providing police services on islands. That was a issue raised in the recent "Ideal Island" thread.
"In addition to patrolling the state’s waters, the Marine Patrol also responds to island police calls.

“In New Hampshire, we have numerous bodies of water with island populations in the summer and they have medical aid calls, domestic violence calls, burglary calls,” Dunleavy said. “Whatever happens in town happens on islands and we respond to those calls.”

It is interesting that they mention that as Gilford PD was acting as the "police" and MP was just the transportation for them when we had an issue. They did stay offshore and monitor by FLIR camera until the boat arrived with the PD officers.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #52
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

Never Said you couldn't have that opinion now did I?
What I said was don't pull this thread down that topic path!

There are many reasons for the decline... your initial post made it very clear that you wanted to contribute the change to one specific thing. I purposely left that issue out, as it is a lightening rod, with strong feelings on both sides. I purposely stay away from that topic, because no good ever comes from bringing it up here....
Old 05-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #53
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Never Said you couldn't have that opinion now did I?
What I said was don't pull this thread down that topic path!

There are many reasons for the decline... your initial post made it very clear that you wanted to contribute the change to one specific thing. I purposely left that issue out, as it is a lightening rod, with strong feelings on both sides. I purposely stay away from that topic, because no good ever comes from bringing it up here....
That could be true, however it is not your decision to make.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #54
Chaselady

It would be nice, if just for once, a thread on the forum didn't turn into a pissing contest....
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-19-2014), trfour (05-19-2014), upthesaukee (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #55
MAXUM

So out of curiosity why does Meredith have a police boat if the MP takes care of all island calls for police business?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #56
BroadHopper

Quote:
You are correct he did mention several other factors that could be reasons for the decline in accidents. I was referring to a statement made about some 2008 legislation that someone mentioned and did a poor job of responding to that. Thanks for pointing out there are other factors according to the Captain that accidents are down. I believe he pretty much covered all of them.
If Dunleavy did a poor job during the 2008 debate, why did the state promote him to Captain?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #57
Woodsy

Chaselady....

I really don't know why you are surprised it turned into a "pissing contest"....

BI insinuated that in his opinion, a certain legislation should have been mentioned as a contributing factor in the lower collision numbers. Obviously the MP didn't see it as warranting a mention. Then again they didn't see it as necessary at all.

Whip em out and start pissing up a pole! LOL!

I think the SL has been beaten to death. It is what it is. The number might go up or down, but it like radioactive waste, will never go away.

Woodsy
BroadHopper (05-19-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #58
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So out of curiosity why does Meredith have a police boat if the MP takes care of all island calls for police business?
Routine police matters are handled by the local police. If you need to report a break in or a dog on the loose you don't call the MP.

The MP are the first responders on the islands and take charge until the local police arrive. The MP also provide transportation for local police, fire and EMTs to and from the islands when necessary.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #59
MAXUM

Quote:
Routine police matters are handled by the local police. If you need to report a break in or a dog on the loose you don't call the MP.

The MP are the first responders on the islands and take charge until the local police arrive. The MP also provide transportation for local police, fire and EMTs to and from the islands when necessary.
AH - gotcha. Had to chuckle on the loose dogs... we've been amused by how many have come to visit in the past two years. Never have to worry about company for our dog that's for sure... although it is distracting when we send her out to do her "business"
Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #60
Bear Islander

In my thirty years on the island, what is the most common islander complaint? No it's not speed, or noise, or even taxes. It's Dogs.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #61
MAXUM

I spotted a bobcat on Sunday afternoon behind my place walking along the power line... so anyone that's letting their dogs run loose may want to re-consider because if a dog were to tangle with a bobcat, it would not end pretty for the dog.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #62
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I spotted a bobcat on Sunday afternoon behind my place walking along the power line... so anyone that's letting their dogs run loose may want to re-consider because if a dog were to tangle with a bobcat, it would not end pretty for the dog.
I would suggest calling Fish and Game... A bobcat, on an island, even one the size of Bear, is like to start running out of food source, and will soon, be making very personal visits to residents.

Fish and Game should be able to come in, and move the Animal to a better suited location.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #63
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
It would be nice, if just for once, a thread on the forum didn't turn into a pissing contest....
Please note that it is often the same person starting the pissing contest on certain subjects. Most of use try to stay clear of the subjects that end up that way...
Chaselady (05-21-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #64
Barney Bear

Default Bear Island Bob

Have there been any sightings of the bobcat reported by Maxum in Post #61 above? We hiked the loop trail behind the East Bear Island mail dock with our two small dogs last weekend and, fortunately, did not see any four-legged wild "visitors".
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote