Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
radiocontester

Default Ring the bell?

Fellow boaters:

Since my boat is 28' I need a bell onboard to adhere to the safety requirements. Knowing it will most likely spend it's entire life in a box under the helm seat I'm looking for a cheap solution. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I thought that law got changed recently and you don't need a bell.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I thought that law got changed recently and you don't need a bell.
https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...3101_700056569
Old 01-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
Fellow boaters:

Since my boat is 28' I need a bell onboard to adhere to the safety requirements. Knowing it will most likely spend it's entire life in a box under the helm seat I'm looking for a cheap solution. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
A $2.00 plastic hand whistle is fine...As long as it can be heard 1 mile away which most can and I'm not sure how they would enforce it. You could also get one of those compressed air horns. You can always use it during fourth of July fireworks!!

Dan
Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Dan,

According to the link above, he will still need a bell and a whistle or similar. In Power Squadron, we always called it a bell in a box, because that was always where it was kept!

It may have been changed, if so I am unaware of it.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
tis

Well, I know everybody still needs a horn or a whistle but I think radio is referring to bigger boats which also need a bell. It is the bell regulation which I thought had been changed, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
radiocontester

Quote:
Well, I know everybody still needs a horn or a whistle but I think radio is referring to bigger boats which also need a bell. It is the bell regulation which I thought had been changed, but I could be wrong.
Correct....boats over 26' need a bell onboard. Looking for inexpensive recommendations (i.e. <$20)......I seem to be having a hard time finding anything under $50.00 online.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
I thought that regulation was changed to a few years back....
Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Knomad

The bell is no longer required by federal or state regulations:

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/for...USCGMinReq.pdf
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #10
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
The bell is no longer required by federal or state regulations:

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/for...USCGMinReq.pdf
From NH.gov website:

Saf-C 403.12 Sound-Producing Devices.

(a) All class A motorboats shall be equipped with one hand, mouth or power operated whistle.

(b) All class I motorboats from 16 feet to less than 26 feet in length shall be equipped with one hand, mouth or power operated whistle, audible for a distance of at least one-half mile.

(c) All class II motorboats from 26 feet to less than 40 feet in length shall be equipped with one bell and one hand or power operated whistle, audible for a distance of at least one mile.

(d) All class III motorboats 40 feet in length to less than 65 feet shall be equipped with one bell and one power operated whistle, audible for a distance of at least one mile.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html
Old 01-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default When?

I recall a protocol for using the whistle when transiting in fog (One long blast every minute? USPS members help me here.) And if you're in one position in the fog, e.g. fishing, you ring the bell. Most fishing boats don't have a bell, not required. On Winni, nobody does this (perhaps MS Mount Washington, but I don't recall hearing her on foggy days.) MP is out in the fog, I've come across them. We were both going so slow, we just talked. No whistle or bell.

Sound device or not, Just please stay at headway speed in the fog.

Oh! My bell cost thousands of dollars, still in the wrapper. It came with a boat at no additional cost. If I don't unwrap it, can I still pass a courtesy inspection (USPS again)?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Rich

They tell you that you must have a bell, but they don't tell you what you're supposed to use it for, or when it's required to be used.

Possibly this is why they are left in the box.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Woodsy

The Bell is for use in when visibility is reduced due to fog.... the theory is that the sound a bell makes travels farther in fog than most other sounds. I think you are supposed to ring it once a minute.... but I forget. It used to be layed out in the boating handbook.

I too have a "Bell In A Box" that I purchased at Sports & Marine Parafunalia. I doubt I will ever use it....

I also have 2 MP whistles rated at 110db.... I am pretty sure I can be heard if need be.

Woodsy
Old 01-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
Rich

Yes, I know what it's supposed to be used for. I just think it's funny that they have a law that says we must have one, but don't reference the reason for requiring it.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
Patiently Watching

Walmart has great bells with a built-in bottle opener made for football ga,Es, etc. I bought one as a Christmas gag gift for maybe $10
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Just imagine

I can almost hear it...200 fishermen on derby weekend, drifting in the fog and ringing their bells. If we could just get them time aligned to carry a tune.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I can almost hear it...200 fishermen on derby weekend, drifting in the fog and ringing their bells. If we could just get them time aligned to carry a tune.
Only those of the 200 whose boat is 26 ft or longer... under 26 ft does not required a bell on board.

Of course, they can sound their horn or whistle to alert those around them...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
V ger

Default Bell Fog Signals

Before the USCG dropped the requirement for vessels less than 20 meters long to carry a bell they were required when anchored outside of an approved anchorage to ring a bell rapidly for 5 seconds at intervals of not more than a minute during periods of reduced visibility. Vessels aground were required to sound this same signal preceded and followed by 3 distinct strokes of the bell during periods of reduced visibility. That states would require carriage of a bell but not teach it's mariners the proper use of this instrument is sadly typical. If memory serves me correctly bells for vessels less than 12 meters were required to have a bell 200 MM in diameter with a striker weight in excess of 3% of the bell weight. Connecticut and Maine have followed USCG and Colregs.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
V ger

Default Manual Fog Signals

Manually sounding fog signals at the required 2 minute intervals is at best tedious. If these signals are lung powered they can well become exhausting if compliant with the volume requirements. I have found the "Storm All Weather Whistle" to produce the loudest lung powered whistle. Whistles with a pea or similar object inside them can easily fill with water and become next to useless in the rain or overboard. When operating at night it is prudent to have everyone onboard to be wearing a lifejacket equipped with a whistle and strobe. The high frequencies produced by whistles tend to be rapidly attenuated by fog, rain and snow but can readily be distinguished from lower frequency engine noise. To easily automate you boats existing horn checkout "Fogmate".
This small device can be connected to your boats horn wiring to produce the appropriate signals and even sound an SOS.

Last edited by V ger; 01-29-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #20
V ger

Default Drifting fishermen fog signals

The correct signal for recreational fishermen drifting in a fog would be 2 prolonged horn blasts one second apart (Underway but Stopped)repeated every 2 minutes. Commercial fishing operations would be indicated by a long short short patern.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #21
tis

The only time our bell rings on our big boat is when it is rough out in the broads and the waves make it ring. And it does drive us crazy.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
radiocontester

To put a book-end on this thread, I found a 6" bell for $19.00 shipped on Ebay! Call me cheap but with thousands being spent to prep the boat this year every penny counts
Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #23
V ger

Default Bell Usage

The procedures for the use of a bell on vessels in restricted visibility are correct although not specified in the NH boaters guide. Vessels under 12 meters are not required to sound the signals above so long as she "shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes".

A bell of 6" diameter would seem to meet the letter of the law as NH does not specify any dimensions but would probably not perform as well as those specified by the USCG in prior times.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #24
ApS

Exclamation Like That's Going to Happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I recall a protocol for using the whistle when transiting in fog (One long blast every minute? USPS members help me here.) And if you're in one position in the fog, e.g. fishing, you ring the bell. Most fishing boats don't have a bell, not required. On Winni, nobody does this (perhaps MS Mount Washington, but I don't recall hearing her on foggy days.) MP is out in the fog, I've come across them. We were both going so slow, we just talked. No whistle or bell. Sound device or not, Just please stay at headway speed in the fog. Oh! My bell cost thousands of dollars, still in the wrapper. It came with a boat at no additional cost. If I don't unwrap it, can I still pass a courtesy inspection (USPS again)?
In deep fog, observing from my shoreline, it's easy to determine that there's a bass boat "out there". No bell or whistle is going to <<<POOF>>> suddenly create common sense speeds.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote