Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Phantom

Default GPS Question

Hey all --

Went through the archives till my eyes went red to solve this question.

I just recieved a Garmin GPS Map 172 as a present. It appears to accept downloadable software ( I haven't had time to run through the entire manual yet) yet no apparent "chip",

Question is -- is anyone familiar with this unit and will I be able to download Bizer (or any other of Winni) Charts ???

Or should I be looking to sneek this back to the store and replace it --- roughly a $400 unit with another brand ---- and if so -- what brand ??
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
NightWing

Garmin makes chips for North America that will have Winni on them. I had a Garmin GPS Map a few years ago, I think it was a 180, and I bought the chip from a catalog......maybe BoatUS. At the time, the price was $90. I don't know if any other chips will work. I don't know if Bizer has a chip either. The Garmin chip was excellent, although it did show a small island off the northern end of Rattlesnake that isn't there. I even called Garmin about it, but they blamed the programmer.

Your unit, if it was like mine, has the highway system already in it. When I first got mine, I rigged up an antenna mast out of a broomstick and clamped it to the bed of my truck. I powered the GPS Map with a cigar lighter adapter and propped the GPS up on my dashboard. I had a ball driving around. It had great detail, even on podunk two lane roads that were very small on a map. Once the chip arrived, the unit went in my boat for good.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
jrc

search here on c-map. Bizer has a chip that will work in c-map plotters. Try Standard Horizon, Navman, or Interphase. Check out the www.bizer.com for their answer to the Garman question.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Hey all --

Went through the archives till my eyes went red to solve this question.

I just recieved a Garmin GPS Map 172 as a present. It appears to accept downloadable software ( I haven't had time to run through the entire manual yet) yet no apparent "chip",

Question is -- is anyone familiar with this unit and will I be able to download Bizer (or any other of Winni) Charts ???

Or should I be looking to sneek this back to the store and replace it --- roughly a $400 unit with another brand ---- and if so -- what brand ??
In answer to the question on Bizer... Here's a link to his website...

http://www.bizer.com/

go there and scroll down a bit, and you will see he is working on it, but nothing yet.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Hacks can be found

I believe Bizer tried to get Garmin to use their lake chart but Garmin declined. As UTS mentions Bizer started to look into a version for Garmins but so far nothing has come of it. Thus right now you're out of luck - kinda.

Garmin's maps are in some proprietary format but in the last year I found some websites that claimed a degree of success in making their own maps for Garmin's chart-plotting GPS receivers. I sure if you do a little Googling you can find them as well (I don't have the URLs on this PC). So if you care to try, you can find software that will take maps (like the digital version Bizer sells) in .bmp (and some other) format(s) and turn them into files downloadable and readable by some Garmin GPS's. A few years ago you'd have been stuck with Garmin's low fidelity version for the lake. If this route doesn't appeal to you then you're OoL with the Garmin. Search this forum for alternative units that do accept a C-MAP chip of Winni.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 07-26-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #6
Orion

Default until Bizer Garmin map available......

....you can download the Garmin Topo map of the lake, using the Mapquest software and the ~$89 Topo disks, then download the lighted bouy locations either manually from back of Bizer chart or by purchasing his data file from the web links mentioned. The Topo map is pretty good and I use it for trail hiking as well as boating on The Lake. IF you leave the trail feature on, after a while you've got all your favorite routes plotted!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Phantom

Mee n Mac -- when you purchased the software it had "good" detail of the Lake i.e. islands & shore?? The markers I can deal with by adding as waypoints.

I've already ruled out Bizer -- I read his stuff first - no C-map. That's why I was curious from you all here at the forum as to wether I should exchange this unit or the software level provided within plus a Garmin chip/disk will do the trick.

Thanks again all
Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
sgold44

I have a Standard Horizon 180 Color Chartplotter (I bought it online for $389). I bought a cmap cartridge from Bizer for it, & it's fantastic. It shows every bouy, all the depth contours, every marina along w/the amenities offered at each. I strongly recommend it.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Phantom

Thanks sgold -- that sounds far easier than all the software dowloads and what nots (which will surely go wrong) as it also adds up $$ for the various softwares -- starting with Garmin's. The $389 is perfect -- I believe this gift was purchased at Overtons for almost that exact price -- with the giver clearly indicating "change / exchange" as I wish.

I'll explore the Standard Horizon unit.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
cowisl

Just ordered a chip for my garmin 172c that has the lake on it. Its called fishing hotspots east...
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Phantom

Cowisl -- I saw that on the site, but in the listings of Lakes depicted -- NOTHING in NH was listed!!

Have you seen the "chip" working ?

Further thoughts -- check your Priv msg
Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
secondcurve

Phantom:

I, too, recently purchased the Standard Horizon 180 and put the Bizer chip in. It is an excellent tool. I use my paper chart and then cross reference with the chartplotter. It helps you to learn the lake quickly and see landmarks you might have missed in the past.

One piece of advice: this model comes in two versions. One version has an internal antenae (sp?) and the other an external (mounting required) antenae. I selected the model with the external antenae since I wanted to put the hardware in my instrument compartment. I found out, as others on the Forum have alluded to, that the extrenal antenae works just fine sitting in the instrument compartment. Therefore, I wish I had gotten the model with the internal antenae so I could have avoided the coil of cable and the antenae bouncing around in my instrument compartment. I'll eventually mount the antenae when I get time, but it is a step you might be able to avoid.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Question Alternate maps from Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Mee n Mac -- when you purchased the software it had "good" detail of the Lake i.e. islands & shore?? The markers I can deal with by adding as waypoints.
I haven't purchased the Fishing Hot Spots (or other) charts from Garmin. I have seen the standard map that came pre-installed on a Garmin GPS MAP76. It shows a crude depiction of the large islands while losing the smaller ones altogether. I don't know if the optional maps Garmin sells are any better. I would say that if all you want is a quick visual reference as to where you are on the lake (assuming you kinda know the lake already) then this is "good enough". It certainly wouldn't replace a paper chart as the rocks and shoals (and small islands) and preferred routes aren't shown. My gut feeling is that if you want to use a GPS as a paper chart replacement you're either doing the hack I mentioned above or going with another GPS. Given you have the no added cost option of an alternative GPS, unless the Fishing Hot Spots map is much better than the "standard" map, I'd recommend doing the exchange. Remember the C-MAP chip/chart of Winni is something like another $100 on top of the GPS itself. You can get the electronic Bizer chart for $50 (from Bizer), which has the same details as the paper version, and then try the hack route but there's no guarantee of success or quality. Personally I'd only do this if I already owned a Garmin chart-plotter.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
sgold44

Cool

I have the Standard 180 w/the internal antenna. It works great.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote