Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
PastorT

Default Out of state boat

I will be bringing up my boat for the first time this year. I usually rent. Any problems with having a Connecticut registration???

Thanks for your help.
PastorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
TomC

Default if you keep your boat..

in NH waters for 30 consecutive days, then it has to be registered in NH. shorter visits than that you are OK with the CT registration
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Kamper

Even though the legal max is 30 days, I know a few people who have Mass registrations and leave their boat in all summer. I dint think the NHMP tracks it that closely so if you go a few days over, or put it on a trailer when you go home, you are unlikely to get hassled. Remember though, registration fees support the safety services provided by NHMP so your participation is appreciated.

Under federal laws, you may choose to register your boat only in the state of primary use, as long as you dont exceed the maximum use allowance elsewhere. So if you live in Mass but only get it wet up here then you can register here if it is cheaper for you. An out of state registration may make it possible for you to dodge local taxes at home but I wouldnt encourage that, just register where it's to your best advantage.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
GusMan

Hi PastorT,

You should have no trouble whatsoever with a boat registered in Connecticut.

Just to expand on the idea of registering boats in NH while residing in another state. I ran into this situation when I owned a place on Merrymeeting Lake while my primary residence was Massachusetts.

Since the boat was to stay in NH all summer (ie more than 30 consecutive days) legally I had to register the boat in NH. From there it gets a bit more cloudy. The NH marina from which I bought the boat took care of the boat registration, but recommended registering the *trailer* in Massachusetts... not exactly sure why (it was several years ago).

The tax issue is even less clear. It is my understanding that massachusetts residents ARE required to pay sales tax, even though the boat is registered in NH. Many people don't (since you normally pay the tax when you register the boat in MA) and it can be somewhat difficult to track (unless NH decided to get generous with registration information!). I believe there *may* be some type of exception for vehicles *delivered* to NH, never to be seen in Massachusetts ... ie a camper that is delivered directly to a campground for a permanent stay.

Not that this really clears anything up!

Massachusetts *really* wants all the taxes it can get!!!!

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Silver Duck

Default On another note

Hi PastorT

This is a bit off the subject, but I wanted to make sure that you're aware that, if you fall into the right age group (a few of us old timers are still "grandfathered") you'll need a boater education certificate to be legal operating a motorboat on the lake.

You should probably look into this, as well.

Have a great time when you come up!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
John A. Birdsall

Default ct registration

I once upon a time had my boat registered in CT. After a few run ins with the Norwich Police, I took my CT registration off and put NH no's on it. Have not had a problem since. Sometimes I bring my boat to CT for the winter to work on it, and have tested in the waters (Not in Norwich) Trailer needs to be registered in the state you have the vechicle registered. I once upon a time had to pay property tax in CT on the boat, But never again since it is in NH.

I have a CT Boating Certificate and it is good up their as well. I do suggest to you to get a NH boaters manual and study it, their is some differences in the lake that we do not have in CT. And other than fines safety is where I would be concerned.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Airwaves

JAB wrote:
Quote:
Trailer needs to be registered in the state you have the vechicle registered.
It does? I am planning to pull a trailer registered in NH with my Mass registered SUV a few times this summer, can I expect to be pulled over, if so by which state's trooper?

Gusman wrote:
Quote:
The tax issue is even less clear. It is my understanding that massachusetts residents ARE required to pay sales tax, even though the boat is registered in NH.
That's true, however even though it's commonly called a sales tax, the state calls it a sales and USE tax! I know when I first moved my boat down to Mass from Winni they Mass tried to impose the tax and I let my wife at them! Basically we told them we wouldn't move the boat to Mass and they could do various nasty things and the state would lose all the money the boat would generate. Eventually we got the MS bow numbers and didn't pay the tax.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Merrymeeting

My understanding is that the reason for the trailer registration matching the tow vehicle has more to do with insurance than state laws.

I have boats registered in NH. They were purchased in NH and never leave NH. However the trailers have MA registrations. According to my insurance company, in the case of an accident while towing, I'm only covered if the trailer is tied to my vehicle policy.

If yours don't match, you might want to check with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Phantom

Airwaves !! I can answer your question first hand! We just went through this last spring.

Towing a trailer with NH tags behind a vehicle with MA tags does not make you a target for a traffic stop -- no more than if you borrowed a neighors utility trailer (provided it is duely plated & registered) and tow it.

Our new boat is Registered in NH -- much to my chagrin, as I had a Mass "vanity" boat registration that I wanted to maintain (single digit with my initials). We still register the trailer in MA - this was done for consideration (ambiguity) in the language of our Umbrella policy. As Merrymeeting said -- talk to your agent!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
ossipeeboater

my trailer coverage is through my boat/us policy not through my auto policy so if your done that way I wouldn't think it would matter. Time to time I see MA reg on the boats here in NH and can't figure out why, if you buy it here and only use it here, reg it here and it saves you 5% sales tax.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default registrattion

I could be wrong probably was wrong. Wasn't the first time, my wife says probably will not be the last time. and she is usually right. I just recall a problem but I am not sure that it was because of different states registration.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
ITD

For the Mass use tax, if the boat isn't used or stored in Mass. you don't have the pay the 5% tax.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #13
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
My understanding is that the reason for the trailer registration matching the tow vehicle has more to do with insurance than state laws.

I have boats registered in NH. They were purchased in NH and never leave NH. However the trailers have MA registrations. According to my insurance company, in the case of an accident while towing, I'm only covered if the trailer is tied to my vehicle policy.

If yours don't match, you might want to check with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered.
Before we became permanent residents of NH, we registered several boat trailers in NH as "non-residents". If you are a resident of another state but own a home in NH, you can register a trailer (or a car/truck for that matter) in NH as a non-resident using your NH property's address, as long as the trailer/car/truck being registered is kept principally at your NH address. Checking with your insurance agent is the wise thing to do, but we had no problem registering our trailers in NH while our cars were registered in MA.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
Airwaves

Okay, I'll be making the call tomorrow. I didn't know that Boat/US would insure trailers, that might be an option if my insurance company doesn't want me towing a NH trailer.

Believe it or not, in my discussions with the Mass Dept of Revenue over the years, they take the attitude that if you purchase something out of state, use it somewhere but live in Mass, you are DUTY BOUND to send them a check for 5% RIGHT!

Thanks all
Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Okay, I'll be making the call tomorrow. I didn't know that Boat/US would insure trailers, that might be an option if my insurance company doesn't want me towing a NH trailer.
Actually, Airwaves, there are two separate types of insurance coverage involved here. The first is liability insurance, which is tied to your tow vehicle's policy. In our case, it made no difference to the insurance company that the trailers were registered in NH while the cars were registered in MA.

The second type of coverage is theft/collision/comprehensive insurance. That coverage usually does not have to be tied to your tow vehicle's policy, and it often doesn't even have to be with the same insurance company. Depending on the actual cash value of your trailer, you'll need to decide if it's worth paying for this coverage based on what the premium would be. (We have this coverage for our trailers under our boat policy.)

Your agent should be able to give you all the info. you need.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves

Believe it or not, in my discussions with the Mass Dept of Revenue over the years, they take the attitude that if you purchase something out of state, use it somewhere but live in Mass, you are DUTY BOUND to send them a check for 5% RIGHT!

Thanks all
Airwaves,

This is from the Mass DOR publications:

II. Massachusetts Use Tax
Massachusetts law imposes a use tax on tangible personal property purchased or leased outside Massachusetts for use, consumption or storage in Massachusetts if no Massachusetts sales tax was collected at the time of sale or lease.

If it is not used in Massachusetts and you don't store it in Massachusetts you don't have to pay tax on it. It used to be spelled out clearer but they've updated it and made it muddier.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Airwaves

Default Trailer Inspections

Thanks for all your help on my out of state trailer issue.

Here's what's going on. I called the insurance company that insures my private SUV, they told me essentially what DRH said. My vehicle is covered and if I cause liability to anyone else they are covered through my vehicle's insurance. What they also told me is that if I own the trailer I have to insure it within the state it's registered, but if I borrow it no problem they just won't cover damage to the trailer.

Regarding ITDs posting of Massachusetts law and my situation. The trailer is actually owned by a corporation. That corporation is a duly registered NH corporation. So as far as the law goes it is not my personal property and I am borrowing (very infrequently) the trailer from the corporation. To the best of my knowledge I don't anticipate the trailer ever crossing into Massachusetts, but hey you never say never!

That brings me to my latest question....

I was told by the folks in NH that I had 10 days to have it INSPECTED!

I had never heard of this before but apparently trailers over a certain weight are required to be inspected by the same gas stations etc that inspect cars and trucks.

I am planning to have the trailer in Gilford Wednesday the 26th of July. I am not looking for an "easy" inspection (the trailer is brand new so it had better pass!) but I am looking for a physically easy gas station to get in and out of in order to get the inspection.

Any suggestions? I'll be near Patrick's Pub.

Thanks