Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Due to the high water level, should there be a temporary Lake Wide No Wake Zone?
No, I should be able to decide if I want to run at headway speed or not. 27 24.32%
Yes, there should be mandatory No Wake Zone. 84 75.68%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
ITD

Default Mandatory Lake wide No wake zone poll

I've been surprised at some of the responses to the voluntary no wake zone requested by MP, so I'd like to do a poll here with two simple options. Considering the lake level as it has been for the past week, should MP (or the responsible party) impose a mandatory lake wide no wake zone? Please vote only once and keep comments civil.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Kamper

Default Yes

I think the NWZ is a good idea while the lake is so high. From what I read there is a lot of stuff in the water to collide with and wakes could damage docks and the shoreline.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...no way to a lake-wide nwz!

Come on....it's Memorial Day weekend and this is the 'live Free or Die' state. No way should there be any mandatory no wake-headway speed of 6mph limit enforced. New Hampshire is supposedly the only state out of fifty that does not take part in the "click-it or ticket" seat belt campaign that is currently going on. Here in NH, people who are eighteen or older are considered smart enough to know if they need to use a seatbelt or not without it being mandatory, which is in direct opposition to what's the law in all the other 49 states. If personal choice is good enough in NH for seatbelts then personal choice is also the way to go for a headway speed now while Winni is about one foot over full lake level.

My 38' dock is under about six inches of water and it is just is no big deal. Heeeerrrrrreeeeee comes Memorial Day......bring it on...........and 'live free or die'!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Great Idea

Default I commend your poll and efforts...

ITD,

I commend you for your efforts to do such a poll. We have had some differences of opinion on this site however your idea here is proactive and hopefully will help bring about some constructive decisions on the part of Marine Patrol or other authorities. Many folks out on the lake are experiencing extensive damage to there property. Ours is serious and there are others who have it even worse. Thank you.
Great Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
Rinkerfam

I believe that a mandatory no wake zone should be implemented on Winnipesaukee. I am not a lakefront property owner, but I think that it is the best solution for the existing problem. We have to look at the big picture. It's not just the waterfront property owners who are suffering. The health and future of the lake must be taken into consideration.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Kevin C

Default Nwz

As much as I hate the idea of a nwz, given the present circumstances it is the best way to go.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Cobalt

Default No Wake

A mandatory No Wake Order is necessary to help limit damage to the shoreline and waterfront property. Although I personally don't like the idea, I cannot see any other realistic option working at this time.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
ApS

Thumbs down Zot!

For many property owners, a three-day weekend is a good opportunity (or the first opportunity) to repair shorefront wood docks and other structures. For one neighbor, it means reassembling a temporary dock and installing it in the lake for the season.

If you've ever worked on a dock (or docked boat) at normal lake heights, you would know how difficult or dangerous it can be with intermittant wakes from a passing boat—especially if you're using extension cords.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Woodsy

FYI...

The MP aren't the only ones involved in the decision for the lake-wide NWZ, they are just the enforcers. There are many other interests in play here. Property owners are just one of those interests. The decision has to be made at the top by the MP's Boss... Director of the NH Dept of Safety, Richard Flynn. Given that his boss, Governor Lynch gave a speech last night effectively saying NH was "open for business" despite the flood, I am not sure we are going to see a Mandatory NWZ for Memorial Day. I would surmise that the government needs the money from the tourists & daytrippers to help pay for the repairs in other more ravaged parts of the state....

Woodsy
Old 05-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #10
Weekend Pundit

Exclamation

We were out the other day and saw quite a bit of debris in Sanders Bay, off the Weirs, on either side of the bridge at Governor's Island, the north side of Governor's Island, near Spindle Point, the east side of Stonedam Island near Sally's Gut, and around Locke's Island.

Much of it was floating just beneath the surface. Some of it was just small branches, the occasional tree branch, a few pieces of what looked like stove-length firewood, and what I believe was the deck surface of somebody's dock.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to hit any of that at any kind of speed above headway. It could end your boating season prematurely, if you know what I mean.

I think a lake-wide No Wake Zone might be a good idea for the hoilday weekend.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Airwaves

Default To Late for NWZ

I am one who usually boats on the Merrimack River. Rivers obviously have a current and debris eventually goes away.

I also have a place on Saunders Bay.

How and when does debris from a bay (Saunders) on a lake (Winnipsesaukee) "go away" after high water?

And where does it go?

Last edited by Airwaves; 05-25-2006 at 10:23 PM. Reason: To Late for NWZ
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #12
riverat

Default Restricted speed posted

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0201/105260138
Old 05-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
I am one who usually boats on the Merrimack River. Rivers obviously have a current and debris eventually goes away.

I also have a place on Saunders Bay.

How and when does debris from a bay (Saunders) on a lake (Winnipsesaukee) "go away" after high water?

And where does it go?

it will end up on the shore eventually from the wind and waves. it's why shorelines facing the predominate winds usually ends up with lots of cleanup in the spring.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote