Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
The Uncles

Default Accident on the lake last night?

Anyone have any details of an accident at Lighted Bouy 80? There's some rocks between the light and the shore and this morning there was 20' or so runabout up on top of the rocks. Marine Patrol was hanging around and later a couple of tow boats where there cleaning up the mess.

Any news ?
The Uncles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
Woodsy

Default Operator charged with drunk boating

Just found this..... Operator charged with drunk boating

Here is the link to the article in the Citizen: http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...226/-1/CITIZEN

Looks like another BWI!

Woodsy
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Rayhunt

Default Only one

Very busy weekend.. Im surprised this was the only boo boo I heard about ..Hope all are well
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
ITD

Another rocket scientist among us, in a rental boat no less. Glad no one was killed. Wonder if he had his certificate?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default 007

Licensed to kill perhaps....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
Very busy weekend.. Im surprised this was the only boo boo I heard about ..Hope all are well
Ya gotta wonder about what goes on out there.

Coast Guard stats show only three "groundings" for all of New Hampshire in 2004. http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2004.pdf

When you add the Eagle Island "grounding" to this one, we've nearly got our "limit" just eight days into the 2006 high boating season!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
Par Four

Default Rumors

I went by this scene the following morning when the SeaTow boys were getting ready to float the boat off the rock.

At that time there were maybe 6 or 8 boats idling around watching. The boat-to-boat chatter at that point was that "everyone was OK and that the boat was a local guy "just up the cove..." which made everyone shake there heads and wonder if it was a mechanical failure that caused it to have happened.

So now that I read the article in the news that the accident was a case of BWI and not a local guy and at least the operator was injured, I guess it serves as yet another reminder to take what you hear with a grain of salt.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Rayhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Ya gotta wonder about what goes on out there.

Coast Guard stats show only three "groundings" for all of New Hampshire in 2004. http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2004.pdf

When you add the Eagle Island "grounding" to this one, we've nearly got our "limit" just eight days into the 2006 high boating season!
I wonder about those stats .. Three groundings ? Im guessing three a day anyways.
We went over through the Hole in the wall yesterday and it was pretty light for the weekend after the fouth. Maybe gas prices will somehow effect the accident statistics
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Airwaves

As I posted elsewhere, I am trying to keep track of the boating accidents/fatals this year just to see what is happening and where since the stats released by the Coast Guard are somewhat vague.

Here's what I've got so far in NH with my sources in ().

NH
2/06/06 Ice Boat accident, 2 ice boats collide during race on Lake Sunapee. 1 dead,
1 injured (AP)
4/03/06 Canoe Capsized, Gilford, Lake Winnipesaukee. No other vessel involved. 2 men rescued, one charged with drunk boating. (Concord Monitor/AP)
5/16/06 Kayaker rescued from flood swollen Sougehan River in Wilton. 1 rescued (AP)
5/21/06 Canoe Capsized, Spofford, Spofford Lake. No other vessel involved 1 dead, (heart attack) 1 survived (AP)
6/10/06 24’ Powerboat ran aground on Eagle Island, Lake Winnipesaukee. 3 people on board, 18 year old charged with drunk boating. No serious injuries (Laconia Citizen)
6/17/06 Powerboat hit another boat wake on Ossipee Lake. MP says boat hit another boat wake doing about 70mph ejecting one person into the water. Second person not hurt (AP)
6/24/06 Powerboat fire, Connecticut River. Claremont. 4 people on board, 3 suffered burns. Boat towed to boat ramp in Springfield, VT (AP)
7/01/06 2 Jet Skis collide, Arlington Mill Pond, Salem. 2 people injured (AP)
7/04/06 24’ Powerboat (rental) ran aground on rocks near Stonedam Island, Lake Winnipesaukee. 7 people on board, minor injuries. Operator charged with drunk boating. (Laconia Citizen)
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Stinger

Default Two more from Fosters today...

Wakeboarder critically hurt

KINGSTON, N.H. (AP) — An East Kingston man was in critical condition after a weekend wakeboarding accident.

Matthew Davis, 30, was being towed by a boat in Country Pond off Kingston State Park on Sunday when he hit the boat's wake and fell forward into the water, the Marine Patrol said.

When the boat turned around to pick him up, he was unconscious.

Davis was flown to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, where he was listed in critical condition.

*** Note...Country Pond is not adjacent to Kingston State Park, accident was probably actually on Great Pond (Kingston Lake).***

in Wakefield: Boats collide, one sinks; One suffers minor injuries, police still investigating

WAKEFIELD — The boat operated by a Milton man sunk near the shore after it struck another vessel, operated by a Portsmouth man, on Pine River Pond on Saturday night.

Members of the N.H. Marine Patrol, Wakefield police, firefighters and rescue personnel responded at 10:30 p.m. after the rear of a boat, operated by Bernard Pelech, 57, of Portsmouth, was struck by another boat, operated by Jeffrey Ward of Milton.

Both vessels were traveling southward in the area of Windy Point. Shortly after the collision, Ward's boat sank near the shoreline

Pelech, who works at Wholey & Pelech Law Office in Portsmouth, sustained a bloody nose and a head contusion. While specifics were not available as of this morning, all of the occupants of both vessels refused medical treatment at the scene, according to Marine Patrol.

The incident remains under investigation by Marine Patrol officials
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote