Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
billhurley

Default Navman and Cmap

I finally fired up the Navman 5500I with the new Cmap card on saturday at the dock. I wondered if any of the veterans to this unit had any advice or tips for the set up or use.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
ThePlut

Default Specific questions?

Hi Bill,

I used mine all of last season, any specific questions? I don't recall too many quirks. The only one I can recall is that my unit would switch between GPS and DGPS mode, and the default setting had an alarm notification when that would occur. I turned off notification for that specific alarm.

Other than that, just play around with the features I guess. You can customize every screen to show you the data you want (speed, headings, bearings, and a few different formats). I set mine up so that "up" on the screen is always in front, rather than fixed to north, if that makes any sense.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
billhurley

ThePlut,
I havn't used it on the water yet. I only turned it on at the dock. Can you set it to come up with the cart when it is turned on or do you need to drill down. Honestly I havn't spent any real time looking at it or the manual, but thought you might have a few hints. Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
ThePlut

Default Yes

Bill,

As I recall, it powers up to the last screen you were using. Well, actually, check that. It powers up to the satellite screen as it tries to get a lock on satellites. Once the lock is complete, it switches to the last screen you were using when you powered off. That's to the best of my recollection, as mine always goes to the chart, but that's always how I power it off too.

The only other thing I can think of is, if you have it wired to an accessory switch as I do, make sure you turn off the unit, before killing the switch. As I recall, it really didn't like just hitting the switch (didn't do any damage, but I think I lost settings, or something like that...).

I reply'ed to your e-mail as well.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote