Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
pcmc

Default Standard Horizon 190i question

Hello,
I bought a SH190i and Bizar chip for Winni, tried it out, and found the boat icon travels off the screen instead of remaining stationary(like a car gps) and the screen progressing to show forward movement. It is nessesary to manually forward the screen with the toggle button in order to keep the icon in view so you can watch where you are on the screen and view the hazards, ect...

I haven't called the dealer or SH yet, wanted to run it by here first.

Does anyone know how to adjust the settings to reverse this, so the screen will scroll automatically to show movement, and the boat icon will remain at the bottom of the screen? I did try to adjust this in the settings, but have failed so far.

I appreciate all suggestions and you taking the time to help.

Peter
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
codeman671

I think it is just something simple like the back or exit button. Mine has done that before.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
pcmc (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
JerseyGuy

Smile Cursor Vs. Home Mode

I have a CP180i. This is cut and pasted from the online manual:

3.1.1 Cursor Vs. Home Mode

Cursor Mode
When the cursor is shown on the Chart Page, the chart plotter is in Cursor Mode.
In Cursor Mode the position of the vessel will not stay in the center of the page and will move right off the edge of the screen (as your boat moves). Cursor Mode allows you to pan around and look at areas on the chart. In this mode you can also create Marks, Routes, measure distance and bearings from your current position.

Home Mode
When the ship icon is shown on the Chart Page (cursor is not shown) you are in Home Mode. Now as the ship moves through the water the vessel’s position will be kept in the center of the display.
NOTE
To change from Cursor Mode to Home Mode press [CLR].

I hope this helps.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

I am glad you are answering the question about the Standard Horizon 190i. I am planning on ordering one today and was second questioning myself because I thought there might be a problem with the Standard Horizon chart plotters. I am thinking of getting a combo with a fish finder and I was wondering what your thoughts are on that? We don't fish much, but we think it might be nice to have it. Also I am wondering where the best place is to purchase one?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
codeman671

Ebay has the CP180 with external antenna for $399 right now. Depending on whether or not something would be overhead such a as hardtop or bimini an external antenna may be a better choice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Hor...item35bc3cd6ad

I have the CP180I in one of my boats and I love the functionality, however sometimes I have blips in signal.

I have had the CP155C and CP175C in the past as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
JerseyGuy

Default CP180i

I have a SeaRay 225 Weekender with the GPS mounted on the dash. I've never had a problem finding the satellites with the internal antenna.

I've looked into adding the fishfinder and it's a bit pricey for the extra pieces. I'd still like to have it even though I don't fish off of the SeaRay. I mostly use a 14'-6" aluminum, 35 HP fishing boat with a humminbird GPS/fishfinder. I can get into rocky areas for smallmouth bass with noworries on the little boat.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy View Post
I have a CP180i. This is cut and pasted from the online manual:

3.1.1 Cursor Vs. Home Mode

Cursor Mode
When the cursor is shown on the Chart Page, the chart plotter is in Cursor Mode.
In Cursor Mode the position of the vessel will not stay in the center of the page and will move right off the edge of the screen (as your boat moves). Cursor Mode allows you to pan around and look at areas on the chart. In this mode you can also create Marks, Routes, measure distance and bearings from your current position.

Home Mode
When the ship icon is shown on the Chart Page (cursor is not shown) you are in Home Mode. Now as the ship moves through the water the vessel’s position will be kept in the center of the display.
NOTE
To change from Cursor Mode to Home Mode press [CLR].

I hope this helps.
Thankyou, I figured it was something simple, I just haven't been able to conqure the right function yet. I will give this a try.
Peter
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I am glad you are answering the question about the Standard Horizon 190i. I am planning on ordering one today and was second questioning myself because I thought there might be a problem with the Standard Horizon chart plotters. I am thinking of getting a combo with a fish finder and I was wondering what your thoughts are on that? We don't fish much, but we think it might be nice to have it. Also I am wondering where the best place is to purchase one?
We bought ours from Gillan Marine in Alton Bay. Wasn't the rock bottom prices found on the internet, but was reasonable and I had it right then and there. I also found with the internet, people never had the exact same serial/ model # for the Winni Bizer chip, close but always a number or letter different or missing. So I figured if I buy local I know I will get the correct chip. To me that was worth a few extra dollars.
We did have a problem with the unit right out of the box, where the unit would not start or turn on. Gillan replaced the unit promptly. (priceless...thankyou Gillan!)
We passed on the fish finder only because we don't fish so we opted to save some money there.
Being brand spanking new to boating and only three small adventures with the boat, so far I like the 190i, it will be fantastic when I can get the settings customized....I can't wait!

ps I haven't experienced any issues regarding finding satellites with the units factory internal antena. By the time I'm ready to motor away its waiting for me.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
codeman671

Thegpsstore.com has the cp190i for $485 plus shipping, $491 total. Best deal I have seen.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
pcmc

Thankyou for the help!
By pressing the CLR button fixed it, worked like a charm.

Peter
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
JerseyGuy

You are quite welcome. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

One other thing. If you ever upgrade your C-MAP cartridge for your Standard Horizon chart plotter, don't make the dumb mistake that I did. I bought a
cartridge from Overtons that was on a SD chip rather than a C-Card.
The SD chip is thin and square with a clipped corner and the C-Card is rectangular and thicker. They both have the same data but are physically incompatible. Standard Horizon used the C-Card format. Jeppesen ended up helping me out.