Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Need help with Yamaha FX HO PWC

After running flawless my last time I launched my pwc last Monday and had a warning buzzer come on.Thinking I had just had a warning buzzer in my driveway right before that for low battery,I pushed a button that silenced it and proceeded.Before throttling up I noticed the icon flashing indicating low oil.Being a 4-stroke I figured I could run around for a few minutes and head back.First time hitting the throttle it would barely move to get on plane.Back to pull it out of the water.I had remembered in my manual that an overheating condition would put the motor in low rpm mode so as not to damage to the motor but allow you to get back to shore.Sure enough,after reading the manual it stated this was the same for low oil.Good safety so all figured out right?Maybe not.I fill the oil to the correct level and head to Winni.I launch and figure everything is probably fine now.The engine revs great and sounds fine.Not so fast!This thing could hardley get out of the water but was noticeably better than when the low oil condition existed.It felt like I was dragging an anchor.I called a friend how has the same boat and he mentions he had the same issue when he first bought it and his was in low speed mode.I had thought about that also.Mine has a remote that you can use to put the motor in a low rpm mode for less skilled riders.I go back and forth between the low and regular modes.It was very apparent when it was switched to low.Back in regular I had the same symtoms,very sluggish and much lower top speed.It did get on plane pretty easy but nothing like normal which will almost snap your head back.Hesitant tp head accross the lake to meet friends,I stayed in Paugus near where I launched in case of more issues.I ran this thing for a few hours trying all sorts of checks for debris in the intake,low rpm mode,and in general just cranking it around to see if some crap would work its way out whether in the fuel system or the drive system.No luck.It never stalled,ran the exact same performance the whole time.If it was a fuel issue I would think I would have differing levels of performance through this time period.I'm starting to wonder if somehow this low oil induced low rpm mode has corrupted the computer itself and needs to be reset somehow.As I said before,this thing ran flawless the last day I used it and always has.

Any thought Winni Forum Mechanics?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
After running flawless my last time I launched my pwc last Monday and had a warning buzzer come on.Thinking I had just had a warning buzzer in my driveway right before that for low battery,I pushed a button that silenced it and proceeded.Before throttling up I noticed the icon flashing indicating low oil.Being a 4-stroke I figured I could run around for a few minutes and head back.First time hitting the throttle it would barely move to get on plane.Back to pull it out of the water.I had remembered in my manual that an overheating condition would put the motor in low rpm mode so as not to damage to the motor but allow you to get back to shore.Sure enough,after reading the manual it stated this was the same for low oil.Good safety so all figured out right?Maybe not.I fill the oil to the correct level and head to Winni.I launch and figure everything is probably fine now.The engine revs great and sounds fine.Not so fast!This thing could hardley get out of the water but was noticeably better than when the low oil condition existed.It felt like I was dragging an anchor.I called a friend how has the same boat and he mentions he had the same issue when he first bought it and his was in low speed mode.I had thought about that also.Mine has a remote that you can use to put the motor in a low rpm mode for less skilled riders.I go back and forth between the low and regular modes.It was very apparent when it was switched to low.Back in regular I had the same symtoms,very sluggish and much lower top speed.It did get on plane pretty easy but nothing like normal which will almost snap your head back.Hesitant tp head accross the lake to meet friends,I stayed in Paugus near where I launched in case of more issues.I ran this thing for a few hours trying all sorts of checks for debris in the intake,low rpm mode,and in general just cranking it around to see if some crap would work its way out whether in the fuel system or the drive system.No luck.It never stalled,ran the exact same performance the whole time.If it was a fuel issue I would think I would have differing levels of performance through this time period.I'm starting to wonder if somehow this low oil induced low rpm mode has corrupted the computer itself and needs to be reset somehow.As I said before,this thing ran flawless the last day I used it and always has.

with my FX140 I had a similar issue so I changed the plugs and it ran fine after that.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
4Fun

If you haven't already I suggest going over to PWCTODAY.com and positng there. Lots of good help. Also, I would be concerned why you had low oil in the first place??? Maybe you damaged a piston and you are down on power now????

Was there oil in the hull?
Was the oil low when you finished you ride?
Are you hitting max RPM?

You could try disconecting the battery to "reset" the computer.

Changing the plugs is a cheap effort too....
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Pull the plugs. Check for fouling. Check compression also.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
dog paw

Green hulk is the forum info place for yama's. Great people there.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/portal.php

Riva Yamaha has been good to me for the few that I have worked on. I'd be afraid to go on a limb with the check this or that over a keyboard. Sea Doos are more my bag. The technology on the new skis is right up there with new cars making mistakes costly.
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
trfour

Quote:

I would call your dealer and run it by them after checking the trouble shooting section in your owners manual. With the on board computerised systems of today, you may need to bring it to the dealer and let them hook up the Pro-Link to diagnose the problem. Getting to know you over the years, you don't want to be out in the middle of the broads with this problem.
Hope this helps.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Doubt very much I have any compression issues and am very confident there was zero damage done.This warning control pretty much insures this.I have always worked on all kinds of equipment in my life whether it be small motors or crazy manufacturing machines.In fact,this is what I do and have done for most of my life.What I'm saying is I'm very mechanical and use this engineering expertise everyday.This one is puzzeling me a little and against my usual know it all behavior,I'm looking for another viewpoint.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
trfour

Quote:
Doubt very much I have any compression issues and am very confident there was zero damage done.This warning control pretty much insures this.I have always worked on all kinds of equipment in my life whether it be small motors or crazy manufacturing machines.In fact,this is what I do and have done for most of my life.What I'm saying is I'm very mechanical and use this engineering expertise everyday.This one is puzzeling me a little and against my usual know it all behavior,I'm looking for another viewpoint.
Yes Sir! All I have ever done all of my life as well. Been in the business as a shop Foreman- heavy truck and equipment mechanic for some of the largest companies in the world. I am just trying to point you in the right direction. Things change very quickly and new service updates are a common thing every day, and if you are not up to speed, I would check with them first.
Yamaha.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
"...You could try disconnecting the battery to "reset" the computer..."
Wait 20 seconds between the disconnect and reconnect.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Hey, Mister Know-it-all....
Take it to the dealer like trfour suggested above. They can pull the codes from the computer. That could tell them why it faulted in the first place, and why it is still not running right.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
sa meredith

Default what about

Quote:
Did you check the ball bearings?
"It's all ball bearings, these days!"
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Holy cow guys did I come off like Mr KIA?So sorry for that.I have been told that before by my now x-wife.And thanks Tr,didn't mean to dismiss your help.I thought there might be some ideas tossed around here to try.I certainly will bring it to a Yama dealer but my stubborn german genes force me to try and fix this myself first.I have always loved to pull anything apart to find out how it works. My experience has been most fixes are usually simple.Thanks for any help guys.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Winnicandle

Go to greenhulk forum, you will get an answer!

Also, the only time I have had 4stroke PWC bog down has been either oil level too high or needs new plugs (or both)

good luck!
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Seeker

This new technology is getting to all of us old(er?) guys. Nowadays you need to have more invested in computer equipment to diagnose stuff than in your boat.
Well, at least I have one older outboard and one 1962 car I can still work on.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
trfour

Quote:
Holy cow guys did I come off like Mr KIA?So sorry for that.I have been told that before by my now x-wife.And thanks Tr,didn't mean to dismiss your help.I thought there might be some ideas tossed around here to try.I certainly will bring it to a Yama dealer but my stubborn german genes force me to try and fix this myself first.I have always loved to pull anything apart to find out how it works. My experience has been most fixes are usually simple.Thanks for any help guys.
Hey, no problem SIK. I was trying to save you time-and-or-money! Ya me too on the wanting to take things apart and fixing them myself, and believe me I have been very blessed and good at it from a very young age. However, with most engines today being controlled by computer, you need a PRO-LINK with updated software and it is a hand held unit that plugs into the ECM wiring harness so as to read faults and also to set injector timing, horsepower + - and many other parameters. PRO-LINKS ain't cheap, and neither is the continual updated software.
Times a'wast'in and summer ain't gett'in any younger, we all want you back on the Lake soon! Keep us up to date!

PS, your just a kitten in the gene & S compartment.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
4Fun

I remember reading somewhere about a FX motor oil issue. Checking the oil was not obvious and it was very easy to be fooled in to a low oil reading and then overfill it. Just guessing... Maybe you have too much oil now??
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I remember reading somewhere about a FX motor oil issue. Checking the oil was not obvious and it was very easy to be fooled in to a low oil reading and then overfill it. Just guessing... Maybe you have too much oil now??
I will recheck that and try a few of your other suggestions also.The problem is I wont know of any success until doing a road test.Thanks