Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
jorddarb

Unhappy Boat stopped running !!

I have a 07 Tahoe with the 4.3L mercruiser I/O. I had it on the lake this weekend and it ran fine until the last day. I had it out towing the kids on the tube and kneeboard with no issues. We had just returned to the dock with after a 20-30 min run at RPm ranging from 3000 to WOT. (5000) As I was idling waiting for the boat trailer to be backed down the ramp the motor simply stopped. No strange noises it simply quit. I tried to re start the motor, it turned over and woul occasionaly fire then immeaditly quit agian. I have very limited knowledge on how to diagnose issues, but I think it is a fuel supply issue. Any help you can provide will be welcomed.

Last edited by jorddarb; 07-07-2009 at 06:12 PM.
jorddarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
sa meredith

Default 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorddarb View Post
I have a 07 Tahoe with the 4.3L I/O. I had it on the lake this weekend and it ran fine until the last day. I had it out towing the kids on the tube and kneeboard with no issues. We had just returned to the dock with after a 20-30 min run at RPm ranging from 3000 to WOT. (5000) As I was idling waiting for the boat trailer to be backed down the ramp the motor simply stopped. No strange noises it simply quit. I tried to re start the motor, it turned over and woul occasionaly fire then immeaditly quit agian. I have very limited knowledge on how to diagnose issues, but I think it is a fuel supply issue. Any help you can provide will be welcomed.
If it is an 07, shouldn't you just return it to the dealer for warranty work?
I would think it would be a covered repair.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
jorddarb

Bought it in 06 warranty expired April this year!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Water??

First thing I would check for is water in the fuel. Ethanol has been raising hell in boats on the lake and with the recent amount of rainfall and high humidity, this can only worsen an already lousy situation. Do you know if your boat has a water seperating filter in the fuel line between the fuel tank and engine?? If not dafinitely have your fuel checked.

Good Luck;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
This'nThat

Default Kill switch

Did you check the kill switch? Maybe you accidently hit it?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
robmac

I would first check your lanyard to make sure the safety is activated,next would be spark and fuel. Because you were fine all day it seems to be a safety(lanyard fault)
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
jorddarb

I will check the kill switch and if it is that simple I will feel stupid, but it stopped as I was idling at the dock and I do not believe I hit the switch or lanyard.

It has a canister type filter element between the tank and the fuel pump and carb.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
It has a canister type filter element between the tank and the fuel pump and carb.
I'd replace it and empty the old one into a glass jar to check for water. The new one I would fill with fuel prior to installing(may not need to be done this way but seems to make sense to me)
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Lakegeezer

Default out of gas?

I had a similar problem and putting 29.2 gallons in a 30 gallon tank cured it. Apparently my gas gauge is calibrated to show 1/4 tank when its really empty. Worth a shot.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
jorddarb

I will replace the filter this weekend. It has plenty of gas in the tank, we just filled it up and ran maybe 1/4 tank through it before it stopped.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

My mercruiser started coughing and spitting last year.....first thing I did was empty the filter (bowl type) into a glass so mI could see the ratio of water to fuel and sure enough,it was 90% water.Put it back in and drove away.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
bigdog

Default Boat stopped running !!

I agree with those who responded whothought this was a gas issue. I had same symptoms at the end of last season. Engine was coughing and stalled during operation. Winterized the gas with Stabil additive for the winter and put to bed for the cold months.

This Spring, I drained 30+ gallons of gas from the tank, added fresh 89 Octane at the advice of a Forum member, and then added a can of Seafoam (purchased at WalMart $8). Also changed my fuel-water separating filter
The boat started right up, and I've run it several times already without the same issues returning, knock on wood ! Going to add Seafoam every-other full tank of gas from now on.

Have to chalk this issue up to either water in gas or Ethanol separation. Before this I was scratching my head thinking of every possible problem: Plugs, Coil, Fuel Pump, etc. I broke my own Cardinal rule/slogan 'KISS" ! Think simple causes first, riule out, then work up from there.

BTW, I have same 4.3L Mercruiser you have, but 1995 vintage, but basically the same Chevy block.

Good luck !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
jorddarb

I would understand it if it produced some sort of symptom like coughing or sputering before stopping, but it simply shut off. It was idling fine...then it shut off. No warning, and it will not restart. It seems to fire briefly every once in a while while turning over, but then nothing.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
trfour

Quote:
I would understand it if it produced some sort of symptom like coughing or sputering before stopping, but it simply shut off. It was idling fine...then it shut off. No warning, and it will not restart. It seems to fire briefly every once in a while while turning over, but then nothing.
Don't pannic, if you're getting plenty of spark at the spark plugs, then I would go after the fuel system. With your boat being fairly new, the culprit
useually turns out to be smethink simple.
Keep you're chin up, we are here to help you!
Good luck.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Winnipesaukee

Check the float on the carb (if it has a carb. I think Merc also makes a 4.3 FI engine). It tends to stick closed. Try giving the top of the carb a good smack.

Also check the obvious stuff: fuel filter, spark plugs for fouling, fuel tank, fuel pump (turn the key, is there a kind of whirring sound that comes from aft?).

Spray some starter fluid in the air filter and try starting. Any difference? If not, it's an ignition issue.

I'll put my money on the float. Let us know how it turns out. Oh yeah, don't try cranking for more than 20 seconds or so, and give the starter a minute to cool down each try. Best of luck.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
bigdog

Default Boat stopped running !!

Good call 'Winnipesaukee'... very well could be the Carb 'float'. If the Carb float has a tiny pin hoile in it, it will fill with gas and sink, causing the engine to stop, or never start from begining. Floats can be made of metal or plastic, not sure what material yours is made of ?

Float also could just be sticking, possibly casued by Ethanol crap ! A can of Carb cleaner to gas wouldn't hurt, and it's a quick fix.

Good luck !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
cowisl

Call Dave Rossetti. 603 393 5658 he will get it running in nothing flat
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
jst_4_kiks

dave can be very busy sometimes. try some home repairs before taking it somewhere. only if you feel comfortable doing so

check fuel system. fuel filters. fuel quality (not old). water (most probable).

if it "spits" Fires. then its trying to start so its getting spark.

my guess is on fuel.

good luck. Kyle

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Airwaves

jorddarb
I had a similar problem to the one you describe and it turned out to be a stuck float in the carb. A quick tap or two should free up the float and you should be able to fire it up.

Changing the water seperator filter, fuel filter etc is also a very good idea no matter what.

Good luck
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
This'nThat

Well, did anything work? Did you solve the problem?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote