Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
bobio

Default rafting

It was our first trip to Braun Bay this past Sunday. After waiting for good weather all weekend we finally got some on Sunday afternoon. There were 3 of us tighed together about 150' from the shore and we had plenty of distance from other boats. Now I know that not more than 2 boats can be tighed off together but there are many times when you have a bunch of people who want to hang out together and enjoy the lake. I figured that sooner or later MP would come over and ask us to move. Sure enough after about an hour we were visited by the MP and asked to untie one of our boats. I have to say though that the officer was very polite and he was only doing this job so I have no beef with that. My question is - who came up with this stupid rule? and what steps need to be taken to have it changed?
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
bigdog

Default Rafting

I have to agree with you Bobio ! Who the heck came up with the number 'two' was OK to raft and three was not. Is it more dangerous or something ? I just don't see the harm.

At the ocean, where I sometimes do my boating, I see boaters rafting
with 8-10 boats tied together in a cove. Not unusual ! I know a lake has a lot less space to move around, but still, where do you draw the line.

I suspect most boating laws, are being paseed by State legiislatures who are not boaters and don't use common sense in their judgement.

Just my 2 cnts.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
VtSteve

Stupid rule? Before we know it, you'll be suggesting that people get up on plane in their boats
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
bobio

help me out VtSteve? I guess you feel its a good rule?
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Stupid rule? Before we know it, you'll be suggesting that people get up on plane in their boats
Exceptions to the rafting restrictions are:
Boats anchored or moored at marinas, yacht clubs, or private docks with the owner's permission
Boats involved in or attending a fireworks display, marine events, or other designated public events Boats on any body of water of less than 400 acres or on any estuary or tidal waters of the state

Just have a Designated Public event on B Bay everyweekend!!!
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
EricP

It's a double-edged sword. I've seen what happens if there is no control for large groups of boaters. On Lake Norman outside of Charlotte, NC they had an area not too disimilar to Braun Bay called Cocktail Cove and there would be loads of boats there every weekend, sometimes 20-30 boats rafting together and as many as 100 boats all tolled.

Loud music while everyone competed with the din to hear their own stereo, lot's of drinking and whatnot. Also people would go to shore and cause trouble for the golfers in the area, just being generally loud, "using" the woods, etc.. It was mayhem for sure. They finally moved Cocktail Cove to a semi-sheltered area in the middle of the lake as they couldn't stop people from showing up every weekend.

Braun Bay has residents along the shoreline, and while the lake is open to the public, there has to be a way to make it enjoyable for all and still respect those along the shoreline so everyone can have a pleasant experience.

So if 2 is not fair, and 3 is then why not 4, or 5? There are areas where 3 or more boats can raft, they may not be as appealing as BB, but at the same time it does keep the crowds manageable.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Treerider

wait....people having fun??? got to fine it or tax it.....
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote