Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
On The Edge

Default mooring a pwc

Hi All

I know this topic has probably toss around but does anyone know if it's
illegal to put a PWC on a mooring.

Thanx OTE
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Not sure about 1 or 2 person. However NH recognizes 3 and 4 seaters as Boats, therefore, I would say that is ok. I have seen plenty around on moorings. Call Marine Patrol to be sure.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

I may be wrong but I can't imagine why any floating craft could not be put on a mooring.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Doyboy

We have three moored in front of our place and have for the past four years.
Doyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Airwaves

As long as the mooring is permitted (legal) then I wouldn't think it would be a problem
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
On The Edge

Hi All

I just called and talked to the mooring dept. and my mooring is about
100ft from shore and they said that it is to far away from shore to put
a PWC on. They usually put a mooring closer to shore for a PWC. So I
would have to apply for another mooring.

Thanx OTE
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
AC2717

Default Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Edge View Post
Hi All

I just called and talked to the mooring dept. and my mooring is about
100ft from shore and they said that it is to far away from shore to put
a PWC on. They usually put a mooring closer to shore for a PWC. So I
would have to apply for another mooring.

Thanx OTE
That is ridiculous! I see no reason why you could not use your mooring, what is the difference, I would go ahead and use your mooring you have the mooring permitted and there is no law, that I could find, that says that a pwc mooring needs to be closer to the shore nor did I find anything that says you cannot moor them
Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Dave M

Default PWC - boat

Just to make it a little clearer. If the PWC is 13 ft its classified as a boat in NH. Generally a 3 seater is this length. Squam Lake has been trying for years to ban the PWCs but can't due to this rule. They do monitor their docks.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Just to make it a little clearer. If the PWC is 13 ft its classified as a boat in NH. Generally a 3 seater is this length. Squam Lake has been trying for years to ban the PWCs but can't due to this rule. They do monitor their docks.

Dave M
Hi Dave, I don't want to start an argument here, but I just want to point out that the only thing that classifies a PWC as a boat is the person capacity. Any PWC that carries more than 2 people is classified as a boat, regardless of length.
For example, I currently own 2 Sea Doo PWC's. One is 121" (just over 10'), the other one is just over 130". Both carry up to 3 passengers, and both are classified as boats.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Hi Dave, I don't want to start an argument here, but I just want to point out that the only thing that classifies a PWC as a boat is the person capacity. Any PWC that carries more than 2 people is classified as a boat, regardless of length.
For example, I currently own 2 Sea Doo PWC's. One is 121" (just over 10'), the other one is just over 130". Both carry up to 3 passengers, and both are classified as boats.
Same argument from me Chip except:I remember the classification as a 3 person and 10ft long.Mine is classified as a boat and I would not hesitate to put it on that mooring.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Same argument from me Chip except:I remember the classification as a 3 person and 10ft long.Mine is classified as a boat and I would not hesitate to put it on that mooring.
Wouldn't theft be a concern for leaving a boat that size (PWC) on a mooring? I never really think about theft of my boat, its a lake, no place to hide and there are only few places to haul it. But a PWC is pretty portable. Two guys pick it up off the mooring and five minutes later its in the back of pickup.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Wouldn't theft be a concern for leaving a boat that size (PWC) on a mooring? I never really think about theft of my boat, its a lake, no place to hide and there are only few places to haul it. But a PWC is pretty portable. Two guys pick it up off the mooring and five minutes later its in the back of pickup.
Aside from the part about being in the back of a pickup, I think the same could be said for any moored boat. Anyone with a trailer can grab one.

With that said, although I don't have the opportunity, I am not sure I would put my PWC on a mooring. Not out of fear of it being stolen, but out of fear of it sinking. Maybe just paranoia, but there just seems to be too many ways that water can get inside a PWC. And it doesn't take a whole lot of water to bring it down and fill the engine right up.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Aside from the part about being in the back of a pickup, I think the same could be said for any moored boat. Anyone with a trailer can grab one.

With that said, although I don't have the opportunity, I am not sure I would put my PWC on a mooring. Not out of fear of it being stolen, but out of fear of it sinking. Maybe just paranoia, but there just seems to be too many ways that water can get inside a PWC. And it doesn't take a whole lot of water to bring it down and fill the engine right up.
You can always add a bilge pump.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Dave M

Default PWC rule

In talking to the dock monitor(patrol) at Squam Lake they used the 3 seater/13' as the rule. Maybe bad info or they were trying to eliminate more PWCs on the Lake. This was a couple of years ago. Nice to get more info on this. Thats why I like this site. Is there any hard rule on this that can be found somewhwere. Is detemining a 2/3 seater subjective(depending on how seats are made). Seems it can be, unless you have a PWC spec.

brt-int, seems to me the bilge pump wouldn't last very long with the size battery thats in a PWC. I don't even trust the battery in my boat to handle a lot of water(like this year). I have a electric(house) monitor charging system attached. When battery gets low, it cranks up the charging.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
travaler18

Default boats a boat

why would it matter what is moored ? if it floats and has a means of propultion isnt it a boat?

boat  /boʊt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [boht] Show IPA
Use boat in a Sentence
–noun
1. a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.
5. a vessel of any size built for navigation on a river or other inland body of water
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
AC2717

Default The good thing is

Quote:

That the newer models like 1998 and up are designed to have water flow off of them. I have a neighbor that keeps his on a mooring all summer long, with and without cover and has never had a problem, but again just personal preference, myself on the other hand have ours on a lift, Thank you to a neighbor for letting us use it by the way for the season!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #17
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
In talking to the dock monitor(patrol) at Squam Lake they used the 3 seater/13' as the rule. Maybe bad info or they were trying to eliminate more PWCs on the Lake. This was a couple of years ago. Nice to get more info on this. Thats why I like this site. Is there any hard rule on this that can be found somewhwere. Is detemining a 2/3 seater subjective(depending on how seats are made). Seems it can be, unless you have a PWC spec.

brt-int, seems to me the bilge pump wouldn't last very long with the size battery thats in a PWC. I don't even trust the battery in my boat to handle a lot of water(like this year). I have a electric(house) monitor charging system attached. When battery gets low, it cranks up the charging.

Dave M

I think there is actually a boat designation on the registration. If I recall anything over 10' and over 25HP and carries 3 or more people in NH is classified as a boat. So they can certainly use their 13' rule, but my 10'3" 110HP SeaDoos are registered as boats and so they couldn't turn me away.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote