Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
jsa3107

Default Buying A New Boat Question

I am looking for a Bow rider boat to use for boating on lakes in NH and Maine
One that caught my eye was the Stingray brand
A couple of questions
What are your thoughts on Stingray brand?
Also what should one expect to get off retail with no trade ?

By the way great forum you all have here.....
jsa3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
robmac

I have one now an SX performance model,I use it primariraly on Winni but have also had it on the ocean in FL with no issues. Biggest thing I have seen in 30 yrs of boating the boat you get has to be the one for you. What,when where and how you plan on using it makes the difference in type. IMHO of course. I can only suggest make sure you test drive with passengers before signing on the doted line. Good luck.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
jsa3107 (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Dave R

Stingrays are fast boats for a given HP and length due to light weight and hull shape, but the tradeoff for speed is a rougher ride than a heavier and deeper V boat of the same length. Make sure you sea trial it in rough water to see if it suits you before you sign on the dotted line.

Can't help you with price, I always buy used.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
jsa3107 (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Seeker

My next door neighbor just bought a new (09) Stingray 185LX. Listed at $22k+ and I believe he paid around $15.5. Pretty quick but a much bumpier ride than my deep V 19' center console. 2 other neighbors also have them and seem to really like them.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:
jsa3107 (06-26-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
VtSteve

I have a 22' Stingray cuddy. You'd have to provide more details about what your boating life will entail, in terms of conditions, load, watersports and cruising activities. I've had no problems with the boat per se, no loose screws, nothing like that.

But I can tell you this, I pay far more attention to the wind and lake forecast than I would with some other boats. Having said that, within a certain price range, Stingrays are as good or better than many within the range. At this stage of life, I'm now a little more receptive to boats with more mass, and 24 degree Deep Vee hulls

For a trailerable bowrider, I'd estimate 24' or so is your max target weight?

Formula
Baja
Four Winns
Cobalt
Regal

Rinker
Sea Ray
Chaparral (226 looks like a nice little boat)
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
gf2020

As mentioned above, Stingray makes a decent boat. I took a very nice leftover '08 Stingray 220LX bowrider for a test ride at Meredith Marina last summer when I was shopping for new boats.

Meredith has a very nice leftover '09 Stingray 220DR which is their hybrid "deck boat" style. You can probably get that boat for 30% off MSRP.

If you are taking the boat to different lakes in NH and ME, you probably want to stick with a 21 or 22 for ease of trailerability.

You might also want to consider buying used for a first boat. There are some great deals to be had out there!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Grady223

I had a 19' Stingray and agree with everything that has been said here. I was happy with it on calm days - very fast. Not usable on windy days. Almost swamped coming out of Alton Bay one evening - water coming over the bow! It was enough to convince my wife we needed a Grady White. I do not consider a Stingray an appropriate boat for regular use on the Lake. Great ski boat, though!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So here are the questions that need to be discussed when thinking about a boat, especially where the indications are you plan on trailering it around.

1) If you have trailering experience how long and heavy of a trailer do you think you will be comfortable towing? remember a 18' boat is going to have a 21 - 23' trailer.... and fully loaded boat motor trailer and equipment, I come in at around 3900# with my 18' Four Finns.

2) now once you think or maybe before you think about what size of boat you want you also need to think about tow vehicles.... I am alright with a 1500 GM truck but get much bigger you need a 2500 series...

3) Now as everyone here has said you can go with a Stingray, which has really marketed themselves for the trailering crowd, the boats size for size are lighter then the competitors, allowing you more room for a give weight but it means an longer overall towing package. And you will sacrifice some in the ride because the boat is lighter.

4) last what is your primary goal with the boat. Is it to use as a water sports tow boat? (stringray would be an excellent choice)... A family pleasure craft for cruising around and relaxing on the bigger bodies of water...(stingray maybe not so much)...

Finally you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Get out there and test drive multiple boats, and various conditions. If you find one you like and want to see how it handles in different weather conditions come back a few day later.... Dealers want to sell boats, they will take you out as many times as they have too......
Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
XCR-700

Does anyone know if Caravelle is still in business? There was a dealer somewhere near the lake and as I recall their 23' cuddy & bowrider models (Interceptor???) were a good looking boats.

What about the new Glastrons, any feedback on their current models? For years they were one of the top sellers in the trailer boat market.

How about Wellcraft, any idea where they are today???

Guess I havent been to a boat show in a while, as I have no idea who is still in business and what they have to offer,,,

My only memory of Stingray was that it was like the later Bayliners and of lower quality, but modestly priced for those who were not looking for long term keepers to pound across the Broads,,, Reading the other posts it would appear that has changed???

Last edited by XCR-700; 07-01-2010 at 03:52 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
jsa3107

I have a truck that can pull it ok so that wont be an issue but thanks that is a very good point and I didn't think about it
To answer another question asked I want a good size boat that can be used At Moosehead Lake and also Winnipsaukee and maybe from time to time in the ocean out of Portsmouth
I am looking at a Chaparral model 206 SSI
Any thoughts on that?

Again thanks for all the help kind of you all...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Kracken

If you plan to take it on the ocean, DO NOT buy a bow rider of any kind.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Chapparral makes a very nice all around boat.... 4 or 5 years back I took a few models out for test rides. They appeared very solid and rode quite well.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Kracken

Chapps are very nice boats built very well and are rated on the high end of ride, durability and fit and finish. However a Chaparral 206 SSI206 or any Bow Rider for that matter is a lake boat and should not be used in the ocean.

Before I get flamed for the Bow Rider comment, I have always owned Bow Riders and performance Bow Riders and have been very happy with them because they meet my needs perfectly. I just don’t believe they are safe on the ocean, especially with a newbie at the helm.

That just my opinion, it’s worth exactly what you paid for it.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
NoRegrets

JSA3107,

One of the greatest mysteries in life is how to be content with a purchase.

No matter what boat you choose you will be on one side of an opinion or
observation. Too light, too heavy, too big, too small, too fast, too slow, not right for certain conditions, just right for others. It will take years of experimenting to get to a point where you can realize how much fun boating with family, old friends, and new friends has been and the process that you are currently going through should become one of the fond memories you can reflect upon when you become a retired senior citizen.

Price - A few years ago you could work to get 35% off list at the major boat shows and feel like you got a fair price.

Thank you for the thread. This is one of the finest forums with a great deal of quality perspectives. Please continue to participate and tell us of your decision and your journey.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
jsa3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
JSA3107,

observation. Too light, too heavy, too big, too small, too fast, too slow, not right for certain conditions, just right for others. It will take years of experimenting to get to a point where you can realize how much fun boating with family, old friends, and new friends has been and the process that you are currently going through should become one of the fond memories you can reflect upon when you become a retired senior citizen.

Price - A few years ago you could work to get 35% off list at the major boat shows and feel like you got a fair price.

Thank you for the thread. This is one of the finest forums with a great deal of quality perspectives. Please continue to participate and tell us of your decision and your journey.
Very well said
I was thinking maybe just maybe if I posted on here people here would help me figure it out in a few weeks and not a few years
Can you buy new boats now for 35% off?
And does that mean I should offer 35% off?
The problem with boats is I don't know the cost or invoice of boats so I don't know what to offer
The thanks go out to the people that post on this forum not me
I am here to steal what you all know
Again thanks for the help.....
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
AB_Monterey

Default My opinion, look elsewhere.

I had a Stingray.

Do the newer models have the snap out carpets or are they still glued down?

I remember shopping for a new boat at the Boston boat show 3 years ago and stopping at the Stingray dealer. We were shopping because the Stingray sport cuddy was toast, required a completely new deck, front to back. Even the stringers were gone. The salesman, open shirted and completed with gold chains, assured us that the new boats didn't have any issues since the deck was (and I quote), encapsized.

I found the quality to be lacking, seriously. As the years go on, you will notice the difference between a Stingray and a more expensive boat. The hardware etc is lower quality stuff.

Oh, and as many other have mentioned, you will get tossed around when it's rough out there.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
jsa3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
I had a Stingray.

Do the newer models have the snap out carpets or are they still glued down?

I remember shopping for a new boat at the Boston boat show 3 years ago and stopping at the Stingray dealer. We were shopping because the Stingray sport cuddy was toast, required a completely new deck, front to back. Even the stringers were gone. The salesman, open shirted and completed with gold chains, assured us that the new boats didn't have any issues since the deck was (and I quote), encapsized.

I found the quality to be lacking, seriously. As the years go on, you will notice the difference between a Stingray and a more expensive boat. The hardware etc is lower quality stuff.

Oh, and as many other have mentioned, you will get tossed around when it's rough out there.

The 2010 Stingrays we looked at had snap in carpets.....
Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
VtSteve

Mine's an '06, snap-in carpet. So far so good, not many problems, no fit and finish problems. If you're planning on bounding about regardless of seas, get a boat built for that. Way too many people use recreational boats as offshore boats, and they just can't take that.

Stingray doesn't make high-end cost be darned boats. But for what they offer, I'd say they are better than most in their price range, and some makes that cost far more offer more bling, but less value. It's very windy over this way today, and a Chap 275 is looking better and better.

It's all about budget and usage. My boat's original cost would make a great downpayment on some of the better ones When looking at mine, a much better choice would have been the Baja 278 Performance. Alas, at more than double the cost.

Know your desires and your needs on the water, and look at those "models" that fit best.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
If you plan to take it on the ocean, DO NOT buy a bow rider of any kind.
I think it depends on which bow rider, I know several people who use Grady White bow riders in the ocean.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
jrc

Most people don't consider Grady's or Whalers bow riders, they are self bailing open boats.

The concern is more with family bow riders in big waves/wakes. If you take a wave over the bow, they don't self bail, the bilge pump needs to pump the water out. This can add risk but it doesn't mean no bow rider should ever be on the ocean.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (07-09-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #21
VtSteve

Default I found your boat JSA

http://www.evergladesboats.com/boats/210cc.php

Enjoy
Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #22
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post

Why the link to a 21' center console?

I have a 21' center console of a different make, which I keep in Boston Harbor and coincidentally purchased from a Winnipesaukee dealer.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #23
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Why the link to a 21' center console?

I have a 21' center console of a different make, which I keep in Boston Harbor and coincidentally purchased from a Winnipesaukee dealer.
Just throwing another choice into the mix for someone that wants to boat on larger waters, plus some ocean running. One of the select few CC's that is outfitted for humans, not just fish Very comfy layout, extremely seaworthy, good ride, most of the benefits of a bowrider, without the downfalls. Large enclosed PP, plenty of cockpit room.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #24
C_Duff

We have a 1985 21' Stingray "Supersport" cuddy cabin. It has been a great boat with very few problems over the year. I highly reccommend the Stingray brand
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #25
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Just throwing another choice into the mix for someone that wants to boat on larger waters, plus some ocean running. One of the select few CC's that is outfitted for humans, not just fish Very comfy layout, extremely seaworthy, good ride, most of the benefits of a bowrider, without the downfalls. Large enclosed PP, plenty of cockpit room.

Gotcha! Yeah, those features describe my boat. Spacious bow area, comfy rear bench seat, porta-potti in the console with over 6' of headroom, heavy, deep vee hull with plenty of flare.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
VtSteve

Nice layout gf. It's nice when they're not all about the fish
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
fasttech

Default Stingray dealer

Can I get some help? Any idea who sells Stingray boats on the big lake?
fasttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
AmericanBoatClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
Can I get some help? Any idea who sells Stingray boats on the big lake?
Irwin Marine is the Stingray dealer

Hope this help you on your search

Kurt

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 03-30-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed to have the correct dealer
AmericanBoatClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
Highlander

Just noticed that Irwin Marine in Alton Bay now has Stingray, don't know if they also carry them at their Lakeport location. They are located on Rte 28A on the east side of Alton Bay approx 3 miles from the tip of the bay.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #30
Lakepilot

Meredith Marina doesn't carry Stingray anymore. It's only Irwin.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #31
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
JSA3107,

Even after years of boating and owning several OK folks common and give it up, who is truly content and happy with what they got? Bottom line here is that this statement is right on, not any one boat is going to perfect there are always going to be tradeoffs and compromises.

If you're looking at Stingray I suggest you get a good understanding of hull geometry and how that affects ride and handling. Stingray typically has had a flatter deadrise meaning a quicker boat but a pounder on any kind of chop. Their boats also tend to run lighter, which combined with a flat bottom (comparatively speaking to others) compounds the ride comfort problem. All depends on where you're going to use it, flat water and want to go fast, great boat. Any kind of chop or cross wake bumps and you may not be very satisfied.

Far as quality goes, I wasn't very impressed when I looked at one. The hull design alone was enough to keep my away anyways so getting one was never a serious consideration in the first place.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
fasttech

Thumbs up Stingray boats

Thank you for your help, Irwin Marine in Alton is the only Stingray dealer on the big lake. I am going to set up for a demo ride in a week or so. It was explained to me that with there new Z-plan hull Stingray gives you a 13% faster rate of speed and 20 % better fuel efficiency and with a 19% dead rise I will not be missing anything in ride comfort. I will let you know after I take one for a ride in a little chop. The fit and finish of the 215 LR sport deck is all that and more than alot of other boat brands I have looked at.
fasttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
NoBozo

Quote:
Thank you for your help, Irwin Marine in Alton is the only Stingray dealer on the big lake. I am going to set up for a demo ride in a week or so. It was explained to me that with there new Z-plan hull Stingray gives you a 13% faster rate of speed and 20 % better fuel efficiency and with a 19% dead rise I will not be missing anything in ride comfort. I will let you know after I take one for a ride in a little chop. The fit and finish of the 215 LR sport deck is all that and more than alot of other boat brands I have looked at.
I'm always a little skeptical when I hear such precise comparisons. Lets see..I can go 13% faster with 20% better fuel economy...Compared to What I wonder...?

BTW: "Deadrise" is usually expressed in "Degrees", not as a percentage. A Donzi Classic for example has a 24 degree deadrise. For those not familiar...when looking at the transom, the depth of the "V" is the deadrise compared to a horizontal line across the bottom. A flat bottom would be Zero degrees. NB

Good Luck with your search.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
AC2717

Quote:
Isn't Meredith Marina the StingRay dealership on the lake?

wait i had to look up, so this is true then, Irwin has the sting ray name, and sea ray? and the others?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
MAXUM

Quote:
Meredith Marina also sells Stingray.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Meredith Marina also sells Stingray.
If they do, they are boats they had in stock prior to parting with Stingray. Irwin is the only authorized dealer for Stingray.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #37
MiFi

Default Had a Stingray for 10 years

I had a 2000 190 Stingray for 10 years. Although it was my first boat and didn't have much to compare it to overall I had a great experience with no major issues. For the dollars the looks are better than most models, it was a very fast boat and great for skiing and tubing. Certainly not a great boat for the ocean but not many open bow boats are. With that said we used it quite a bit in Hyannis and went to the Vinyard a few times, just had to pick your days. I have since upgraded into a cruiser style boat for the Lake but if I was going to downsize back to that range of boat my first stop would be the Stingray dealer. Bought mine at South Attleboro, great people IMO.
MiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #38
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
If they do, they are boats they had in stock prior to parting with Stingray. Irwin is the only authorized dealer for Stingray.
If that's true they still advertise themselves as a dealer on their web page. Maybe they just need to update it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
FINANCEGUY

Default Stingray Dealer = Irwin Marine

The new Stingray dealer on Lake Winni is Irwin Marine. I believe they have them at all three of their locations. Meredith Marina has a few leftovers, but is no longer the Stingray dealer. Irwin Marine also has Sea Ray, Meridian Yachts, Berkshire Pontoons, Alumacraft Fishing boats, and ski doo and sea doo.
They have 10 or so Stingrays in stock, I was just there over the weekend.
FINANCEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote