Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
pjard

Default Whips or arms that go vertical

My brother is trying to find either some dock whips or dock arms that stow vertically or rotate out of the way. In the case of the dock arms, they could also fall straight down into the water. I've certainly found different ones online but does any have any recommendations.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnisquamer

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ips-14&i=74604

For mooring whips I think these would get you the most vertical you are looking for. I mulled these over when purchasing mine and couldn't get past spending the extra money. The whips them selves are the same, just the base is different. One base is solid cast and one has the option of moving vertical for clearance. Even with my wakeboard tower, bimini open and wakeboard racks open I don't seem to have a problem docking my boat with the whips permanently at an angle. I will praise the whips as they have held my boat right where it should be each summer for the last 3 seasons. Hope this helps
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

I'll second the recommendation above.

After we installed a tower on our boat, the angle of our existing whips made docking very difficult. After gulping a few times at the price, I purchased one of these bases for the outside whip (the whip closer to shore stays in the bow area so I only needed one)

Once the tension is removed the whip springs back to an almost vertical position, allowing the boat and tower to pass by easily.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...view&from=grid
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
sluggo

http://dockcalm.com/products.htm check this product out ... I have sold a few of these and they work great !
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
SAB1

Probably depends on your boat and how tight your slip is. I have a walkaround Proline Cuddy cabin with the fixed position cast bases and hate them. I have to remove the stern whip in order to get boat of slip and to redock. If you dont have a slip, less of an issue as you push out a bit.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Probably depends on your boat and how tight your slip is. I have a walkaround Proline Cuddy cabin with the fixed position cast bases and hate them. I have to remove the stern whip in order to get boat of slip and to redock. If you dont have a slip, less of an issue as you push out a bit.
This I definitely agree with. Even for my dock (no slip and pretty wide open) since I have an inboard I come in at an angle so they are not in the way and the bump reverse to bring the stern in. This gives me zero problems. I could not drive straight in with the whips angled like they are, that wouldn't work with the angle they are at.. I will say too for what I would consider cheap cast aluminum I have bumped them a few times coming in hot and they have withstood a marginal beating.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I'll second the recommendation above.

After we installed a tower on our boat, the angle of our existing whips made docking very difficult. After gulping a few times at the price, I purchased one of these bases for the outside whip (the whip closer to shore stays in the bow area so I only needed one)

Once the tension is removed the whip springs back to an almost vertical position, allowing the boat and tower to pass by easily.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...view&from=grid
I have used these exact whips, but had a recurring problem with them. The rubber parts that push the whips up to a vertical position when there is no tension on the lines dried out and cracked every 2 - 3 years from the hot summer sun, and the whips would not stay in a vertical position anymore. I had to replace those rubber parts twice and they are not inexpensive. If your dock is shaded from the sun these whips might be OK, but I wouldn't buy them again.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I have used these exact whips, but had a recurring problem with them. The rubber parts that push the whips up to a vertical position when there is no tension on the lines dried out and cracked every 2 - 3 years from the hot summer sun, and the whips would not stay in a vertical position anymore. I had to replace those rubber parts twice and they are not inexpensive. If your dock is shaded from the sun these whips might be OK, but I wouldn't buy them again.
We often agree on posts, but not this one. We are westerly facing and get afternoon/evening sun most days. Going on 5+ years with no issues with ours (and this from someone who often believes that Overton's is over priced and not the best option)

I should clarify that I'm referencing the base only, not the whips. To my amazement, our whips still work great...18 years after buying our place when they were included. And as near as I can tell, they were 10+ years old when we moved in.

My referral is for the bases only.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
DRH (05-07-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I should clarify that I'm referencing the base only, not the whips. To my amazement, our whips still work great...18 years after buying our place when they were included. And as near as I can tell, they were 10+ years old when we moved in.
I agree, the whips themselves worked fine. The only problem I had was with the bases.