Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Closetzguy

Default New PWC owner

I picked up two used GTX 155 SeaDoo's for some Summer fun and could use some tips/pointers/best practices.

Thank you!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
jeffk

Default Some thoughts

PWCs are lots of fun but need to be used responsibly. All the same rules that apply to a boat apply to the PWC so the starting point is to have your boating certificate. The next thing is safety; always wear a life jacket and use the safety features of the craft. Attach the cutoff lanyard to your life jacket. Get a good pair of goggles to maintain visibility. Know how to right the craft if it rolls upside down.

READ the owners manual. The jet skis I have should not be towed without clamping one of the hoses to prevent water intake into the engine (BAD). Take the machine into a dealer and have them look it over. Are the seals in good condition or will you find yourself taking on water? Is the impeller OK? Is the reverse mechanism working properly? Are battery cables tight. Is the battery in good condition? Is the throttle working properly?

Remember to put in the drain plugs before dropping them in the water!

When you take the PWC out of the water, open the drain plugs. If a ton of water comes out after a day on the water, your seals may be bad.

Riding:
There are (on most machines) NO brakes. You cannot stop on a dime. Allow lots of space to slow down. Throwing it into reverse while still moving fast is NOT recommended. If you are not applying throttle, you have NO steering control. The water jet that propels the boat also steers the boat. No water jet, no steering.

EXCEPT, on my machines there is always a slight jet (slight steering). That means as soon as you start the engine, the PWC will start to move forward. You do NOT want to start the machine while standing next to it. It will nicely walk away from you. You CAN place the "shift" into the neutral position but that simply directs the jet downward. It minimizes motion but usually doesn't stop it completely. It is also a real pain (literally) and possible dangerous to try mounting from the back (the only way) while the jet is running. As a corollary to this, if a passenger is trying to board, shut the engine OFF.

Maneuverability and performance:
While this is the fun part of PWC, it is also the most dangerous to yourself and other boaters. Without lines, like on a road, there are no limits on where a boat may be on the water. When you are watching other boats near you, their predictability of motion enhances everyone's safety. Rules like standon and give way are somewhat based on this predictability. With a PWC, forget predictability. What do you know about a PWC coming at you that is having a blast by running left and right across your path. Are you standon or give way? Should you go right or left to avoid them? As a responsible PWC rider, find a place out of the main traffic and away from other boats before going crazy. RESPECT small boats.

A side effect of this maneuverability is that you, the PWC driver, quickly lose your orientation and lose track of nearby boats. This is another reason to get away from others before playing.

Tight turns:
A PWC can turn on a dime. The problem is, the G forces on YOU when it does rise with speed. A sudden fast turn can throw you right off and you will go skimming across the water. When you stop you will likely be shaken up and a bit disoriented. You DID wear your life jacket and attached your shutoff lanyard, right? Hopefully you didn't hit your head on anything.

These turns become tricky for an additional reason. The chines on the PWC hull help bite in and control the boat. However, when you are turning hard, a slight shift of weight can suddenly engage a chine MUCH more that it was and the PWC will turn like a giant hand reached down and gave it a sudden twist. Off you go.

The solution to this is experience. Take the PWC out with a friend (nice that you have two) and try it out. One person stands watch in case something goes wrong. Get well away from everything else. Try turning with ever increasing speed and tightness. Go from a left turn quickly to a right turn. See how the PWC handles. Find out where the "grab" points are for the chines. Notice the disorientation experienced after a few loops.

Passengers:
Remember that the person in back probably can't get as good a grip as the driver and children are not as strong holding on as adults. Passengers also cannot stand up to ease the impact of bumps. With passengers, SLOW DOWN. What feels OK to you may be pounding (and scaring) the heck out of them.

The extra weight of a passenger significantly affects the behavior of the PWC. The driver knows when he will turn and leans into the turn making it smoother. The passenger will not know and may even feel they are tipping over and lean against the turn, then they may shift back. This makes turning more difficult and unpredictable. Again, practice and get used to the behavior of the PWC with extra weight.

Towing rules:
While a PWC can tow a double tube, I got ticketed once for towing two people with only one spotter. I don't know if the rules have changed on that. If not, you would need three people on the PWC (driver + 2 spotters) and 2 in the tube. That's a LOT to haul around for a PWC.

Have fun!
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Woodsy

My .02...

1. KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL..... ALWAYS be aware of who and what is around you! Look before you make that sharp turn in front of someone.

2. 150' Rule applies to PWC's too.... so keep 150' away from your partner when going faster than 6 MPH. The MP LOVE to ticket PWC's for this!

3. Always wear your life jacket, and your safety lanyard...

4. Wake jumping is illegal.... however if you are far enough behind a boat...

Woodsy
Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
GTO

Default they suck.....

They suck up everything from the bottom of the machine. Be aware of ropes when docking or ski ropes. They can be sucked up through the intake and get wrapped around the impeller. (so I've been told). Also, stay out of shallow water, they can suck up sand and small rocks which will all do damage to the impeller
Old 04-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Knomad

Default Towing Rules for PWCs

Some clarification on towing rules:
The person or persons being towed behind your vessel are included as a part of your vessel's capacity.
The new rule says you can tow up to two people behind your vessel with only an operator and 1 observer.
Therefore:
If your PWC has the capacity of 2 persons (in NH, called a ski craft), you cannot tow anyone.
If your PWC has a capacity of 3 persons, you can tow 1 person.
If you PWC has the capacity of 4 persons you can tow 2 persons.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
KPW

Default 300' from shore

I think the law is 300 feet from shore as opposed to 150 feet for boats.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Woodsy

just an FYI... most PWC's are over 13' in length and are registered as boats. So most of the "jetski/skicraft" rules don't apply anymore.

I stated the wrong specification... its seating capacity that usually defines the difference between skicraft / Boat

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 04-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
just an FYI... most PWC's are over 13' in length and are registered as boats. So most of the "jetski/skicraft" rules don't apply anymore.

Woodsy

False.....
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Woodsy

Winnisquamer....

Umm..... Per the NH Handbook page 2

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/handbook/book.html

Some New Hampshire laws reference “ski craft.” “Ski craft” is defined by law as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person.

Its all nicely summarized on the DOS/SP/MP website under the FAQ..

•What is the difference between a ski craft and a PWC?
A ski craft is defined as, less than 13' in length as manufactured, capable of exceeding 20 mph, and has the capacity to carry not more than the operator and one other person. There are additional regulations that ski craft operators must follow. A personal watercraft (pwc) has the capacity to carry more than the operator and one passenger and must follow the regulations set forth for a motor boat.

So maybe a little research is in order before you just say False???

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 04-12-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I highlighted the wrong part...
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Winnisquamer....

Umm..... you sir are wrong. Per the NH Handbook page 2

Some New Hampshire laws reference “ski craft.” “Ski craft” is defined by law as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person.

A ski craft is defined as, less than 13' in length as manufactured, capable of exceeding 20 mph, and has the capacity to carry not more than the operator and one other person. There are additional regulations that ski craft operators must follow. A personal watercraft (pwc) has the capacity to carry more than the operator and one passenger and must follow the regulations set forth for a motor boat.

Woodsy

A GTX 155 which is what the OP said he just bought 2 of is not 13 feet long.

Flat out "most" PWC's like you stated are not 13 feet. So saying most are longer than 13 feet and are registered as boats and the jetski/skicraft rules don't apply is a flat out lie.

A GTX155 is what like 11'? A full foot + shy of what you are saying. So a GTX155 is considered a skicraft,unless he opted for a 3 seater which was not mentioned anywhere. Simply saying its most likely 13' so its a powerboat is hogwash in this case.

So its not a matter of research, I can read google too thanks. its a matter of you still being incorrect and spreading misinformation to the OP. No disrespect intended, this is just the second or third time I have seen this topic discussed incorrectly this spring and each time it has made me re investigate how I register my 2 seaters.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
jeffk

Quote:
Winnisquamer....

Umm..... you sir are wrong. Per the NH Handbook page 2

Woodsy
The language actually allows some interesting definitions (I believe). If the craft is less than 13' long, can exceed 20 mph but has CAPACITY for 3 or more, it is NOT a ski craft. Therefore a 10 ft PWC that has capacity for 3, is a boat, correct?

My PWCs are a tad over 10 ft. but have capacity for 3 and have been classified as boats. I did a quick check at SeaDoo and their new luxury machines are a tad under 11 ft. I believe it is the capacity of these machines not being over 13 ft. that makes them boats. There may indeed be 13 ft+ machines but many are not that big.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post

Flat out "most" PWC's like you stated are not 13 feet. So saying most are longer than 13 feet and are registered as boats and the jetski/skicraft rules don't apply is a flat out lie.

A GTX155 is what like 11'? A full foot + shy of what you are saying. So a GTX155 is considered a skicraft,unless he opted for a 3 seater which was not mentioned anywhere. Simply saying its most likely 13' so its a powerboat is hogwash in this case.

So its not a matter of research, I can read google too thanks. its a matter of you still being incorrect and spreading misinformation to the OP. No disrespect intended, this is just the second or third time I have seen this topic discussed incorrectly this spring and each time it has made me re investigate how I register my 2 seaters.
But the GTX is a 3 seat model so it is a PWC not a Skicraft. I would guess 90% of new PWCs are 3 seat as well.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Woodsy

Winnisquamer..

you are right... I highlighted the wrong part, however, the GTX155 seats 3 according to this..

http://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/luxury/gtx-155.html

So it would be classified as a boat.... and not subject to "skicraft" rules Seadoo makes approximately 18 versions of those only 2 would be considered "skicraft" under Nh rules.

Woodsy
Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Winnisquamer..

you are right... I highlighted the wrong part, however, the GTX155 seats 3 according to this..

http://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/luxury/gtx-155.html

So it would be classified as a boat.... and not subject to "skicraft" rules

Woodsy

A 3 seater I am not arguing with you on, that I agree with. The fact you said "Most" are over 13 is what I did not agree with.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

The real factor is if the pwc is a 3 person it is classified as a boat in NH.
Winnisquamer (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
SAB1

Looks like you opened a can of worms Nick..................
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Closetzguy (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #17
GusMan

Default PWC experiences

Great information here so far....

I was in the same situation 2 years ago.... bought a pair of used GTX 215's with *LOTS* of boating experience but almost no PWC experience. As mentioned earlier, jet drives are a whole new ball game for those that have only driven conventionally powered boats. Take your time getting to know how your PWC handles at *ANY* speed. Even slow maneuvering takes some time to get used to. Even at dead idle, my PWCs have fairly significant forward motion and use of the diversion valve (aka the "shifter" from forward to neutral to reverse) comes in very handy.

I've been having a blast (as has he) teaching my 13 year old son to *safely* drive the PWCs. The I feel the most important thing is to realize that you should not make *any* sudden course changes without completely assessing your surroundings. The urge to utilize the PWC's maneuverability is strong (Obi Won). I've taught my son to look around (especially behind you!!) and identify every boat, kayak, buoy, shoreline etc before doing anything drastic.

I still have 3 more years of drilling safety information into his brain before I can let him loose (after his boating safety course!).

One other non-safety related piece of advice... save lots of money for gas... If driven hard, they do like their petrol!

So the best advice I have .. be safe... and have fun.. and watch out for the other guy, because chances are he went out and bought brand new GTX 260's and couldn't be bothered to asked the very question you so wisely did.

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #18
jetskier

Post Mo' Advice

Hi CloseTZguy et al,

I have been riding PWCs on the lake for over 30 years...yup, back to the stand up days. ....and I own a 2002 GTX 4-Tec (155) which you probably also now own. So, some thoughts:
  • I absolutely hate the OPAS (off power assisted steering)...it does not work particularly well and messes up the handling of the PWC. If you have this, I can tell you how to disable it. I have mine disabled and the PWC is much more predictable.
  • A few safety pointers: First, a PWC is the smallest craft on the lake and many boaters tend to disregard the fact that it is necessary to treat them as boats. You will be cut off, overrun even as the stand-on boat etc... keep your head on a swivel and always be prepared to make avoidance maneuvers...dead and correct is a bad deal.
  • Never ever put your hand into the intake grate to pull out an obstruction without disconnecting the battery first.
  • I put a whistle on each life vest...you have to have an audible alert device, but it does not help if it is in the storage compartment and you fall off.
  • The idea of having a fire extinguisher on a PWC is interesting...it is required....but if you catch on fire, swim away....yes, I have seen it happen.
  • The GTX 4-Tec 155 has a special safety lanyard which limits the top speed...a good idea if your kids are going to be driving (and are legal).

I have found the GTX 4-tec to be quite reliable and a good match for lake riding. I would do the basic maintenance - there is really not much.

Most of all - have fun!!!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (04-12-2016), Closetzguy (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
Closetzguy

Quote:
My .02...

1. KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL..... ALWAYS be aware of who and what is around you! Look before you make that sharp turn in front of someone.

2. 150' Rule applies to PWC's too.... so keep 150' away from your partner when going faster than 6 MPH. The MP LOVE to ticket PWC's for this!

3. Always wear your life jacket, and your safety lanyard...

4. Wake jumping is illegal.... however if you are far enough behind a boat...

Woodsy
Thank you so much for the time you spent on this!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Closetzguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi CloseTZguy et al,

I have been riding PWCs on the lake for over 30 years...yup, back to the stand up days. ....and I own a 2002 GTX 4-Tec (155) which you probably also now own. So, some thoughts:
  • I absolutely hate the OPAS (off power assisted steering)...it does not work particularly well and messes up the handling of the PWC. If you have this, I can tell you how to disable it. I have mine disabled and the PWC is much more predictable.
  • A few safety pointers: First, a PWC is the smallest craft on the lake and many boaters tend to disregard the fact that it is necessary to treat them as boats. You will be cut off, overrun even as the stand-on boat etc... keep your head on a swivel and always be prepared to make avoidance maneuvers...dead and correct is a bad deal.
  • Never ever put your hand into the intake grate to pull out an obstruction without disconnecting the battery first.
  • I put a whistle on each life vest...you have to have an audible alert device, but it does not help if it is in the storage compartment and you fall off.
  • The idea of having a fire extinguisher on a PWC is interesting...it is required....but if you catch on fire, swim away....yes, I have seen it happen.
  • The GTX 4-Tec 155 has a special safety lanyard which limits the top speed...a good idea if your kids are going to be driving (and are legal).

I have found the GTX 4-tec to be quite reliable and a good match for lake riding. I would do the basic maintenance - there is really not much.

Most of all - have fun!!!

Jetskier
Thank you so much for your input!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #21
Closetzguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post

The 2008 is just under 11' and is a 3-4 seater
Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #22
chipj29

Enjoy that Sea Doo 155. I have one myself (2004 GTX) and that is a great motor. Enough power to get it done, but not too much to get yourself killed.