Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Salty

Default Meaning of term "rafting"

Boated on lake off and on over the years on other people's boats.

Now will have my new-to-me boat on the lake.

Question about the term "rafting" or more specifically "no rafting zone". To me rafting means one boat anchoring and others tying up to it. Is that the correct meaning here or does it refer to anchoring in general?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Rafting Definition

From the NH Handbook

Raft is defined as “any group of two or more boats which are stationary upon the waters of a lake or pond and which are congregated together, whether anchored, secured to one another, or adrift, provided that at least one of the boats in the group is occupied.” Rafting is “forming or being a member of a raft.”
There are designated locations where, and times during which, the size of rafts is limited and a minimum distance is required between boats and rafts.
Currently, there are rafting restrictions in certain locations on Lake Winnipesaukee, Lake Sunapee, and Ossipee Lake.
No one in a prohibited location or at a prohibited time may:
Form or allow a boat, which you are operating or in charge of, to join a raft consisting of three or more boats.
Form or allow a boat, which you are operating or in charge of, to join a raft if any part of such raft is less than 50 feet from any other raft or less than 50 feet from any occupied single boat that is stationary on the waters of the same lake or pond.
Anchor a single boat and cause it to remain stationary on the waters of a lake or pond, other than momentarily, if any part of such boat is less than 50 feet away from any raft or less than 25 feet away from any other single boat which is stationary on the waters of such lake or pond.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Salty

I knew this was the right place to ask the question! Thank you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
DUSTOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Raft is defined as “any group of two or more boats...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
...to join a raft consisting of three or more boats.
So is it two or three?
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DUSTOFF For This Useful Post:
Phantom (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Marine Patrol

Default Rafting Regulations

You are part of a raft when two or more boats are tied together. It becomes illegal when you are three or more AND in a "No Rafting" area. I ask people to think of a "No Rafting" area as a "Regulated Rafting" area.

When in these areas you are required to be anchored a certain distance from shore (150' except Braun Bay which is 75'). When part of a raft (max 2 boats) you must anchor anchor at least 50' away from another raft (two boats) and 50' from any single boat.

As a single boat anchored in a "No Rafting" area, you must anchor 150' from shore, 50' from a raft, 25' from another single boat.

When outside of a designated zone you may tie up 100 boats I you don't create a hazard to navigation or impede another boater to/from their property.

Safe Boating!!
Marine Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Marine Patrol For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-11-2016), DUSTOFF (03-09-2016), LongShort (03-10-2016), Merrymeeting (03-09-2016), Outdoorsman (03-09-2016), smith point boater (03-10-2016), upthesaukee (03-09-2016), Winopt (03-09-2016), Woodsy (03-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
8gv

So two boats together are ok in a "no rafting zone", right?

If you are anchored and two boats show up to raft close to you, how do you sort it out?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So two boats together are ok in a "no rafting zone", right?

If you are anchored and two boats show up to raft close to you, how do you sort it out?
That is the conundrum. People start arriving after you drop anchor, many of whom likely don't fully understand the law and all of a sudden your boat is anchored illegally.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Someone here (Dave R maybe) suggested pics or oven video as proof that you were there first. Good idea!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
Phantom

This has always bothered me too ........ I am STILL confused (even with the follow up post) -- reading it sounds like a bunch of political double speak.

Is two boats legally a Raft ............... simple question (yes/no)

I have always read the Law as three constitute a raft and the confusion amongst typical boaters is that it is two or more .... am I upside down in my thinking?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Is two boats legally a Raft ............... simple question (yes/no)

Phantom, two boats are a raft but they are legal in a no rafting zone. Three boats or more are a raft but are NOT legal in a no rafting zone. Hope that helps your confusion.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Phantom (03-10-2016), upthesaukee (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
Rich

The key is the post by the MP, it is very clear!

As he stated, the "No Rafting Zone" NRZ is actually misnamed. It's not that you can't raft, it's that there are restrictions to how you can raft! It should be renamed "RRZ" (Restricted Rafting Zone).

In a NRZ, you must be 50 feet from any boats that are rafted. This goes for the non rafting boats too. You also must be 150 feet from shore, unless otherwise stated (i.e.: Braun Bay). Two boats can raft together in a NRZ, but more than two are not allowed.

The law doesn't state any escape for someone that 'was there first'. So if someone comes up and anchors (or swings on their anchor, or drifts) into that 50 ft zone, both of you are violating the law.

I find it helpful to discuss laws like this one, it helps to clarify the laws in my mind and acts as a refresher and to cement them there.

Now.. if a particular NRZ is under legal debate, well that's a whole other thread! LOL
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The key is the post by the MP, it is very clear!

As he stated, the "No Rafting Zone" NRZ is actually misnamed. It's not that you can't raft, it's that there are restrictions to how you can raft! It should be renamed "RRZ" (Restricted Rafting Zone).

In a NRZ, you must be 50 feet from any boats that are rafted. This goes for the non rafting boats too. You also must be 150 feet from shore, unless otherwise stated (i.e.: Braun Bay). Two boats can raft together in a NRZ, but more than two are not allowed.

The law doesn't state any escape for someone that 'was there first'. So if someone comes up and anchors (or swings on their anchor, or drifts) into that 50 ft zone, both of you are violating the law.

I find it helpful to discuss laws like this one, it helps to clarify the laws in my mind and acts as a refresher and to cement them there.

Now.. if a particular NRZ is under legal debate, well that's a whole other thread! LOL
25' from non-rafting boats (i.e. single boat)
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
25' from non-rafting boats (i.e. single boat)
Yes sorry, if no one is rafting, then you can be 25 ft from each other. But if there is a Raft of two boats, everyone must be 50 ft from that Raft, even single boats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Woodsy

Default Take picx

I get to the sandbar early and take a few pix or a quick video with my cell phone... that way if people come in later.... Its on them not me. That being said the MP guys do their best to balance the law with "having fun".

Good job to them!

Woodsy