Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
tc_mike

Default Selling a boat

Hi everyone.

Has anyone ever sold a boat at their dock? I have a boat that has no trailer that I am looking to sell. It is a 26’ deck boat. I’ll have it at a dock this summer and the boat has no trailer – always been kept at a marina on Winni. Is this a feasible way to sell a boat?

Also, when selling something like a boat on Craigslist – does everyone usually just do cash only? Even for 10’s of thousands? Not sure there is really another reliable method of payment.

Does anyone know how does the registration exchange would work? Would the new owner need to have the boat registered in their name in order to pilot it away from the dock? Any suggestions on the logistics of how that would work? Would I need to provide anything other than the current proof of registration and a bill of sale? To a buyer?

In this specific case, would it be easier to just eat a consignment fee and have the sale brokered by a marina?

Thanks for anyone's help/thoughts on this.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_mike View Post
Hi everyone.

Has anyone ever sold a boat at their dock? I have a boat that has no trailer that I am looking to sell. It is a 26’ deck boat. I’ll have it at a dock this summer and the boat has no trailer – always been kept at a marina on Winni. Is this a feasible way to sell a boat?

Also, when selling something like a boat on Craigslist – does everyone usually just do cash only? Even for 10’s of thousands? Not sure there is really another reliable method of payment.

Does anyone know how does the registration exchange would work? Would the new owner need to have the boat registered in their name in order to pilot it away from the dock? Any suggestions on the logistics of how that would work? Would I need to provide anything other than the current proof of registration and a bill of sale? To a buyer?

In this specific case, would it be easier to just eat a consignment fee and have the sale brokered by a marina?

I shy away from Craigslist after $10K or so. It sounds like consignment may be the way to go given your situation, but sometimes CL is the way to go.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I shy away from Craigslist after $10K or so. It sounds like consignment may be the way to go given your situation, but sometimes CL is the way to go.
Oh darn. And I was just thinking of putting an RV on there.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Rattletrap

Default Cl

I've sold numerous big ticket items on CL cash and bank check . If your worried about fraud, if your doing cash go to Staples and get a counterfeit checker pen. If you doing a bank check conduct the transaction during bank business hours so you can call and verify the checks validity.
spb927 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Kamper

Just be straight and simple about your terms. Ex:

By appointment only.

Cash. Will go with buyer to local bank where they can withdraw cash and you can turn it into a bank check for your security.

As is. Where is. Buyer responsible/liable for prompt removal and mechanical condition after sale.

Etc...

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Rich

The last two posts have good info about doing transactions on Craigs list.

A few years ago I sold a boat there, about $10K. No problems, just be ready for all the offers to have it shipped somewhere (LOL).

This year I sold both a snowmobile and a trailer, both within a week on CL.

If you write a good ad, and price it right, it should sell.

Don't be afraid to ask for cash, and do the transaction at the bank, or get a checker pen (I have one from Staples also), and check for the anti-counterfeit strips in the bills also.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

One of the good things about your situation is that the boat can be demonstrated--when I was buying a boat a couple years back, this was a prerequisite. As far as payment, if you own it and have paperwork, just check with your bank to see which payments they can immediately accept and plan to meet buyer there.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default dock vs consignment

I've bought and sold both at the dock and on consignment.
At the dock: You get to use the boat, but you're at the mercy of tire kickers who want to see/demo only when you tied up with something else. For me, the eventual buyer showed up for the demo with a just bought used or borrowed trailer. Doesn't matter the price: any buyer will say, no commission and immediately knock 10% off your asking price.

Consignment: There is a professional salesman who is not swayed by emotional attachment to the boat. He may have a buyer for the other guy's old boat. He may be able to match up a trailer, or provide dockage that you don't have and this may make the sale. As part of the consignment, I gave the dealer the ability to do minor repairs (capped at $500, say) So the buyer does a demo and says "I like it, but..." and the salesman says "If my guy can fix that right now, will you take it?" You can't do that. The dealer may have the ability to take credit cards, and other payment for a down payment to "seal the deal".

For a few thousand dollars, selling yourself is probably fine. As you get into bigger boats, I see advantages to consignment. Time tested contracts, ability to register to the new owner, and if something goes wrong in ten days the buyer calls the dealer, not you.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
DesertDweller

Last boat we sold we used a broker at a marina and it was, in my opinion, the way to go. They helped us price it, advertise it, and when the buyer went to sea trial it and the engine sputtered because of a clogged VST filter, they fixed it on the spot to save the deal. Our guy was 10 percent, which I think is fairly typical, and they handled all of the paperwork, payment, etc. I agree there is a price threshold for using someone to sell it for you.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
Ms Molly McKever

Default Selling a boat

Put a for sale sign on your boat, post it at your marina office,also post an add on the forum. Let your sign and add work 2 weeks. People stop by marinas looking at boats with for sale signs
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #11
Dave R

Whenever I've done large transactions with CL, I've had the money wired. I think it costs 10 bucks. Your bank/Credit Union can tell you how it is done.

I think selling the boat at your dock is perfect. The registration becomes the buyer's problem as soon as you have the money and a signed bill of sale in your hand. The bow numbers won't change when the new owner registers it so assuming they drive it away straight from the dock and it's already got a 2016 sticker on it, it's pretty darn close to being legal already... You could even "accidentally" leave the registration in the boat and if the new owner happens to get stopped by the MP, there will be no red flags raised. Just make sure the bill of sale has the time of day written on it and the buyer's signature is witnessed (could have it notarized if you really want) just in case something requiring liability insurance happens right after the sale.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
camp guy

Default Selling a boat

In my opinion, in the majority of cases, consignment is the way to go. Having your boat at a marina provides great exposure, and the opportunity for someone to test run the boat at almost anytime. Yes, you won't have the boat at your dock available for your use, but neither will you have people showing up at your house all odd hours wanting to "kick the tires", and then hassle you about the price.

Place the boat with a marina, establish your relationship with the salesperson and the commission involved, and then let them sell it for the best price. And, as a previous poster mentioned, they might be able to sell the buyer a trailer in the process.

Commission is truly a "no muss, no fuss" proposition.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
8gv

I brokered my previous boat at Irwin Marine.

It was gone in a week.

It sold at a price high enough that even after deducting the brokerage fee I ended up way ahead of what I was hoping to sell it for privately.

Let the pros sell your boat and enjoy your summer!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
radioman

Default Selling a boat

Mike, lots of great points made in previous posts and to your points:

1) No trailer, No problem
2) Registration never a problem as long as buyer has bill of sale which can be hand written.
3) Consignment? Excellent question, just must understand that you loose the boat for the period that the boat is under consignment. Do not worry about CL as most sales Depts will photograph your boat and place those photos not only on CL but a wide variety of publications

Consignment makes sense if you want maximum exposure quickly as lots of people walk into marinas every day during the summer season.
Typically they will examine your boat and discuss "book value pricing", remove the boat from the water and display. The boat will be covered at the close of the day and whenever bad weather moves in. All demos and sales are their responsibility and undertaken 7 days a week. Yes 10% is the going rate.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
... The registration becomes the buyer's problem as soon as you have the money and a signed bill of sale in your hand. ... You could even "accidentally" leave the registration in the boat ... (insurance)
I'd give the buyer a copy of the most recent registration. That way they won't need a cop to verify the HIN before registration. As to 'insurance issues...' Why expose yourself at all by leaving that door open, even just a crack? You'll need the original if you itemize on your taxes.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
tc_mike

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Lot's of good feedback to help make a decision. At this point, I am leaning towards a brokered sale.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #17
DRH

Default Irwin Marine Sold Mine Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I brokered my previous boat at Irwin Marine.

It was gone in a week.

It sold at a price high enough that even after deducting the brokerage fee I ended up way ahead of what I was hoping to sell it for privately.

Let the pros sell your boat and enjoy your summer!
I sold my 21' Sea Ray on consignment through Irwin last year. The boat sold in a week at my full asking price. Irwin took care of processing the buyer's check and then gave me their own company check. It was a painless (and stress-less) process.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #18
SAB1

Craigslist is a big pain in the butt. I sold a snowmobile on there in March and it was not an enjoyable experience. People just constantly low ball you, you get spammers trying to get your financial information, people email and text you when you say calls only, people ask a million questions over the period of days and then disappear, and people make appts to see the item and never show up.
Save yourself a hassle and go another route.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #19
Rattletrap

Default Cl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Craigslist is a big pain in the butt. I sold a snowmobile on there in March and it was not an enjoyable experience. People just constantly low ball you, you get spammers trying to get your financial information, people email and text you when you say calls only, people ask a million questions over the period of days and then disappear, and people make appts to see the item and never show up.
Save yourself a hassle and go another route.
Couple ways to avoid the spam. 1.Make sure you never use or post your real email. 2. if you going to put a phone # do it like 603-555-one two one two. This will keep the phishing programs away.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I sold my 21' Sea Ray on consignment through Irwin last year. The boat sold in a week at my full asking price. Irwin took care of processing the buyer's check and then gave me their own company check. It was a painless (and stress-less) process.
When I sold my boat, I also used Irwin's. I purchased the boat there, had it serviced and stored there. I had the same selling experience as DRH. Best way to go is through a broker/marina.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #21
Joebon

I bought a consignment boat through Irwin. I bought the boat without ever seeing it in person or test driving it because of Irwin's reputation. They made the process painless and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
LSBA Joker

Default Broker vs cl

For what it's worth...
Bought 2 brokerage boats from Sheps. Terrific experiences. Great boats since they are picky about what they accept even if not warranteed.
Sold first boat w. Trailer via CL, well under 10k Use CL Alias email and only respond to realistic offers.
Good luck.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The bow numbers won't change when the new owner registers it so assuming they drive it away straight from the dock and it's already got a 2016 sticker on it, it's pretty darn close to being legal already... You could even "accidentally" leave the registration in the boat and if the new owner happens to get stopped by the MP, there will be no red flags raised. Just make sure the bill of sale has the time of day written on it and the buyer's signature is witnessed (could have it notarized if you really want) just in case something requiring liability insurance happens right after the sale.
The bow numbers only stay the same if the boat is staying in New Hampshire.

I would not release the boat to the new owner until it was registered in their name. You can be sure if the new owner does something illegal or gets into any kind of an accident you, as the registered owner of the boat, will be named in any lawsuit or at a minimum be called as a witness in any court proceeding. It would be very risky if the new (potentially inexperienced) owner shows up to pick up his/her new boat with mom and the kids for a day of tubing on the big lake in a boat registered to you. No thank you!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well now not everyone has a wonderful experience at Irwin.

I went over there when I was looking to buy a new to me boat and they had one on consignment. I called ahead, MADE AN APPOINTMENT and showed up on time. The sales guy, well he was busy stroking some other people who were looking at something far more expensive so he sticks me with one of the guys who happened to be one of the techs to take me out on a test run with it and left me waiting until he was done with the other folks. No apologies whatsoever. Granted the other people were there first but I highly doubt they had an appointment like I did. Now frankly he did me a huge favor because I have no use for sales guys... but that's not the point. If that wasn't disappointing enough the boat was in very nice shape but way overpriced and it had at least one glairing problem - the water pump was leaking and no they would not address that before it sold because according to them it was up to the owner at first he was telling me well it is used and not perfect but I insisted that this was not some cosmetic problem. OK I'll buy that argument about who fixes it but he didn't even bother to call the owner to see if they would fix it. When I questioned the price he said that's what it is take it or leave it I will sell it for that. My response to him, maybe you will but not to me. Two weeks later I bought a boat in Pennsylvania that was 6 years newer with 300 less hours on it and in showroom condition FOR LESS MONEY.

Now observation #2 and this is far more disturbing IMHO. Last year I was out fishing and observed one of Irwin's boats (can't miss it since it has their name written on the side of it) with what I would assume was a customer's boat. My guess is delivering it to their dock, and ya know what these guys were racing each other across the lake side by side about 200 feet apart. No question what they were doing because I saw them coming at me and they split one to either side of me closer than I would have liked and they were moving. Now I can't say they were breaking the speed limit cause I don't know and they did pass me at a legal distance, but just saying the visual did not look terribly good, I'll leave it at that.

Is that reflective of Irwin as a whole, don't know but they would not be my first choice if I were in the need of the services they provide that I can say for sure. I will at least give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure if they were aware of these things I would like to think they would correct them in a hurry.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The bow numbers only stay the same if the boat is staying in New Hampshire.

I would not release the boat to the new owner until it was registered in their name. You can be sure if the new owner does something illegal or gets into any kind of an accident you, as the registered owner of the boat, will be named in any lawsuit or at a minimum be called as a witness in any court proceeding. It would be very risky if the new (potentially inexperienced) owner shows up to pick up his/her new boat with mom and the kids for a day of tubing on the big lake in a boat registered to you. No thank you!
You can leave the bow numbers in place as they need to stay, but just remove the state registration stickers. Easy solution.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Well now not everyone has a wonderful experience at Irwin.

I went over there when I was looking to buy a new to me boat and they had one on consignment. I called ahead, MADE AN APPOINTMENT and showed up on time. The sales guy, well he was busy stroking some other people who were looking at something far more expensive so he sticks me with one of the guys who happened to be one of the techs to take me out on a test run with it and left me waiting until he was done with the other folks. No apologies whatsoever. Granted the other people were there first but I highly doubt they had an appointment like I did. Now frankly he did me a huge favor because I have no use for sales guys... but that's not the point. If that wasn't disappointing enough the boat was in very nice shape but way overpriced and it had at least one glairing problem - the water pump was leaking and no they would not address that before it sold because according to them it was up to the owner at first he was telling me well it is used and not perfect but I insisted that this was not some cosmetic problem. OK I'll buy that argument about who fixes it but he didn't even bother to call the owner to see if they would fix it. When I questioned the price he said that's what it is take it or leave it I will sell it for that. My response to him, maybe you will but not to me. Two weeks later I bought a boat in Pennsylvania that was 6 years newer with 300 less hours on it and in showroom condition FOR LESS MONEY.

Now observation #2 and this is far more disturbing IMHO. Last year I was out fishing and observed one of Irwin's boats (can't miss it since it has their name written on the side of it) with what I would assume was a customer's boat. My guess is delivering it to their dock, and ya know what these guys were racing each other across the lake side by side about 200 feet apart. No question what they were doing because I saw them coming at me and they split one to either side of me closer than I would have liked and they were moving. Now I can't say they were breaking the speed limit cause I don't know and they did pass me at a legal distance, but just saying the visual did not look terribly good, I'll leave it at that.

Is that reflective of Irwin as a whole, don't know but they would not be my first choice if I were in the need of the services they provide that I can say for sure. I will at least give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure if they were aware of these things I would like to think they would correct them in a hurry.

That would turn me off to them too...Nothing worse than the "seasonal" or otherwise marina help take liberties with a customers property.
They might be kids delivering the boat but if I were the owner I would see to it personally, that they treat a customer's "pride and joy" with respect.
No horseplay...period. As far as the salesman, consider it a sign from heaven that he ignored you and your wallet...you did much better without him.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
codeman671

I have bought and sold MANY boats over the years. During my 10 years at the lake we owned over 25 different boats and jet skis (yeah, I have a boat problem and am still seeking counseling).

I bought and sold many using craigslist and ebay. You certainly get a few clowns, but typically I got well qualified buyers. Once you weed out the scam emails (ask people to provide real contact information when replying) the rest are decent people.

Using ebay, almost every boat I listed sold, only once during the actual auction. Most were off ebay through contacts that I made during the auction process. Not small stuff either, one pontoon went for almost $100k, and 3 wakeboard boats totaling over $175k.

The internet can be your friend.

I tried the consignment route as well. I don't think any of mine ever sold on consignment. Usually I would continue to market it myself out of the area, and typically got a deal done myself faster and for more money than the dealers. lets face it, unless they get a local sale anyone else is going to find it online.

If its a $10k boat, I would use craigslist. Post it in NH and Mass (2 different email addresses needed).
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
radioman

Default Selling A boat

I know nothing about Irwins but I know a lot about Shep Browns. Do yourself a favor and contact Jim Bochetta, I guarantee that you will not be sorry!! 279-4573
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #29
NHskier

We have bought two boats and sold one through Thurston's brokerage service. All were first-rate experiences. When we put our first boat up for sale a couple of years ago it sold within about a week, at a reasonable price.

As others have noted, brokerage sales take the hassle out of the process, and offers a potential buyer a bit of added assurance when dealing with a reputable firm.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #30
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
You can leave the bow numbers in place as they need to stay, but just remove the state registration stickers. Easy solution.
Again, the bow numbers do not need to stay unless the boat is going to remain in NH.

Peeling the registration stickers off does not cancel the registration, it only means that YOUR BOAT is not displaying valid evidence of registration. If the boat is involved in an accident or incident and the officer runs the registration number guess what? The boat is still registered to you, but you could be cited for failing to display valid evidence of that registration.

If you cancel the registration with the state and then allow a person to take the boat from your dock while you know it is no longer registered you could also be in violation. It would be similar to letting someone drive your car who you know has no drivers license.

Some tricky legal ground that the lawyers will have years to take apart!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #31
nhjenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_mike View Post
Hi everyone.

You could ask for a certified bank check? These are accepted at closings for homes, etc. The bank certifies that the funds are in the account prior to issuing the check. Not sure if that helps.
nhjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #32
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
The way I read your description of events is that you saw two boats that may not have been related to each other pass you legally at a safe distance from you and each other. You can't say they were speeding or breaking the 150' rule. What's the problem and why is it disturbing?
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #33
Kamper

"Owner of Record..." The BoS is a legal Record.

Once the Bill of Sale is signed by both parties, the boat is no longer the seller's problem. If there is an incident, you may be asked a few questions but after showing the BoS you should be left alone. If the investigating officer doesn't grasp this, a judge will.

I suggested above, that you retain the original registration document because there are a lot of people who do not grasp this. The vessel is legally not registered until the new owner gets the chore done. Not giving the buyer the legal document removes any chance for a claim that the sale was not final yet, or still subject to sea-trial.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #34
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I suggested above, that you retain the original registration document because there are a lot of people who do not grasp this. The vessel is legally not registered until the new owner gets the chore done. Not giving the buyer the legal document removes any chance for a claim that the sale was not final yet, or still subject to sea-trial.
On the back of the Boat Registration document, at the bottom, is a space to record "Date of Transfer," "Transferred To," "Owner's Signature," and "Owner's Address." My assumption is that 1) when the boat is sold, this information needs to be completed by the old owner (the seller), and 2) the original document with this information filled in needs to be presented by the new owner (the buyer) to the proper authority in order to get a new registration form in the new owner's name. Is this not correct?
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #35
Kamper

@ TMI GUY

I sold my boat a couple years back and have not replaced it yet. I'm pretty sure the document had been changed prior to then. I'm sure someone with a recent registration will verify that for us though if you don't have one.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #36
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I sold my boat a couple years back and have not replaced it yet. I'm pretty sure the document had been changed prior to then. I'm sure someone with a recent registration will verify that for us though if you don't have one.
I have a 2015 Boat Registration document with the transfer of ownership fill-in-the-blanks on the back at the bottom; I just need to verify the proper procedures that are supposed to take place when the boat is sold. Of course I can always call the state and ask, but I'll see if someone chimes in here first.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #37
chipj29

I have sold many items through craigslist, from a snowmobile, a trailer, tools, and several small ticket items. I have not had a single problem with any transaction. But then again, I just delete any spam that might come through the email. No problem for me.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 AM   #38
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
... 2015 ...
That's more recent than when I sold my boat so I'd go with that information.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #39
nhboat61

I just sold two on CL... experience was that I did get a lot of questions, spammers, scammers and little follow up on the extra picture I sent to folks requesting them. I did finally sell them, both for the low end of what I thought I would get, not what I wanted.

I request cash or bank check... I'll take a personal check for a deposit.. I usually have it deposited by phone right then and there.

I use a Bill of Sale that specifies no warranties or guarantees and is as is. Signed by both parties.

Knowing it is cash or bank check up front is important.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #40
John E

Keep in mind that the buyers are sometimes as skeptical as you are as a seller. They often have a lot more confidence buying from a dealer, and if it is a large dollar purchase and financing is involved it makes it much easier.

I bought a boat last summer from texas. It was a very unique boat that I really wanted. It was on consignment and I don't think I'd have bought it if it was from a private seller. There wasn't financing involved, but I had the comfort of buying from a very reputable dealer that I "knew" from another boating forum.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #41
ApS

Post Craigslist Still Works...Auctions, Not So Much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
I just sold two on [Craigslist]... experience was that I did get a lot of questions, spammers, scammers and little follow up on the extra picture I sent to folks requesting them. I did finally sell them, both for the low end of what I thought I would get, not what I wanted. I request cash or bank check... I'll take a personal check for a deposit.. I usually have it deposited by phone right then and there. I use a Bill of Sale that specifies no warranties or guarantees and is as is. Signed by both parties. Knowing it is cash or bank check up front is important.
Using "text" only, I've had really good luck using Craigslist in three different counties. Just dump the text responses that refer to "your item", refer to "their agent", want to give you extra money , or include a private email address. (Usually a G-mail account). Get cash, as even PayPal is suspect today!

As said, Craigslist buyers are looking for exceptional (low end) deals: but when they have to travel in the Lakes Region, responses are fewer in number.

My "best" address is less than a ½-mile from the only major highway. After all that time and travel, they'll still make an offer, which I usually turn down.

Alternatively, auction houses will advise you that auction sales are grim in today's economy. Having to see for myself, I wish I'd furnished our Wolfeboro place with the antiques that went out the auctioneer's door at $10 each!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #42
rowinghelmet

What kind of boat are you selling?
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #43
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

The opening post says 26ft deck boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #44
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Folks don't make this anymore complicated then it really is....

Years ago people used to sell cars, boats, RVs etc. through news paper classifieds....

Think of CL as the news paper classified hyped up 10 times.

You are going to get your share of tire kickers, and of course so BOT replies, but that is why you create an EMAIL address specifically to use with Craigslist.

Not having a trailer for the boat and having it at your dock is perfectly acceptable.... just don't state that in your ad.... just state that there is no trailer included in the sale.

When people come to look they will see that the boat is in the water and may ask for a see trial... you can make the sea trial conditional, on a deposit and agreement to purchase. And that you will hold the boat and deposit, after the sea trail until presented with payment in full.

As for the final purchase, before the boat leaves your control, you ask for a Cashiers check or Cash.... The Cashier's check means the funds are behind the check....

This off course assumes you own the vessel or vehicle out right. If you still owe money there are some additional steps....