Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Bizer

Default Bizer's annual survey of Winnipesaukee

For what should Bizer be looking?

As many of you know, Bizer spends a week in September surveying the lake. Bizer will be staying on Dow Island for a few days later this month. We shall be checking for updates to our chart of the lake. If you know of anything that you think we should examine, please post it here or email us at updates@bizer.com. We are looking for such items as
  • Buoys that may have moved. Even if a buoy moved and/or was reset by the Marine Patrol, we want to know about it. We want to insure we chart its exact position.
  • New buoys that are not on Bizer's chart (even if you think they were placed by private citizens)
  • Missing buoys
  • Shallow areas not clearly depicted on Bizer's chart
  • Any Elvis sightings that you would like us to confirm
  • Any island that is not on our list of islands
  • Any location which you feel Bizer has incorrectly reported the depth
  • Anything that you deem noteworthy and/or should be on Bizer's chart
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (09-05-2014), billy (09-02-2015), bostique (09-11-2015), diz (09-03-2014), JasonG (09-03-2014), Lakegeezer (09-02-2014), NHskier (09-05-2014), Phantom (09-03-2014), pjard (09-03-2014), trfour (09-02-2014), webmaster (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Bizer

I certainly picked the right week to do my annual survey of the lake. I boat around for several days, the weather is gorgeous, temperature in the low 80's, and it's all a business expense. Like migrating birds, the steamboats are returning to Lee's Mills for their annual rally.

It was kind of sad to see this pier on Bear Island. Such gorgeous weather, and they've already packed up for the winter.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks for doing what you do!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-05-2014), Mboro_Bill (09-10-2015)
Old 09-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Denny Crane

Default Members had no input??

I just came across this post and didn't see the original post asking for input. I didn't have any input because I am not that familiar with the lake and follow the purple line on my gps in deep water! I am shocked, however, given the number of posts about buoys, bleach bottles, black markers, and boats hitting rocks that Bizer didn't get one reply that might help improve the waterways out there. All the buoys and markers must be perfect! I don't want to hear it otherwise in a different thread!
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
I just came across this post and didn't see the original post asking for input. I didn't have any input because I am not that familiar with the lake and follow the purple line on my gps in deep water! I am shocked, however, given the number of posts about buoys, bleach bottles, black markers, and boats hitting rocks that Bizer didn't get one reply that might help improve the waterways out there. All the buoys and markers must be perfect! I don't want to hear it otherwise in a different thread!
DC
Are you implying Bizer has a say in where bouy's are placed? That's MP's job....
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Are you implying Bizer has a say in where bouy's are placed? That's MP's job....
H-R-Z, I don't think that was the intent of his post. There are have been a number of recent posts on the subjects that DC mentioned. So more input here to bizer is encouraged. That's all.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (09-05-2014), KrotzNH (07-23-2016)
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
I certainly picked the right week to do my annual survey of the lake. I boat around for several days, the weather is gorgeous, temperature in the low 80's, and it's all a business expense. Like migrating birds, the steamboats are returning to Lee's Mills for their annual rally.

It was kind of sad to see this pier on Bear Island. Such gorgeous weather, and they've already packed up for the winter.
Bizer, can you tell me why the lake is not colored in blue on the charts?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
DC
The problem is not what is on the Bizer chart. The problem is how boaters either don't follow the chart, don't have a chart in their boat, or don't think they need a chart.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-10-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Bizer, can you tell me why the lake is not colored in blue on the charts?
Bizer has the map printed in February when the lake is covered with white snow.

A more serious answer is that Bizer wants to meet the standards of the Nautical Chart Manual of the National Ocean Service. On NOS charts, deep water is shown with white while shallow water is shown with light blue. Anyone who reads ocean charts will have little trouble migrating to Bizer's chart of Winnipesaukee (and vice versa). When Mitt Romney was running for president, the U. S. Coast Guard came to Bizer for 20 charts. There was no learning curve.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Bizer has the map printed in February when the lake is covered with white snow.

A more serious answer is that Bizer wants to meet the standards of the Nautical Chart Manual of the National Ocean Service. On NOS charts, deep water is shown with white while shallow water is shown with light blue. Anyone who reads ocean charts will have little trouble migrating to Bizer's chart of Winnipesaukee (and vice versa). When Mitt Romney was running for president, the U. S. Coast Guard came to Bizer for 20 charts. There was no learning curve.
Well, thanks for the answer. I have never boated on the ocean so that is probably why I have a hard time with your map. We keep one on every boat but because we have been on the lake so long and pretty much know where to go, when we do go to strange coves or something, we use the map. And it takes me a while to get oriented to it. I always think the land is the lake for a couple of minutes before I adjust. In any event, I am glad to finally know the answer as to why it is mostly white.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
depasseg

Don't forget to add the no wake marker in front of Trexler's. :-)
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Bear Guy

Default Bear Dock at Camp Nokomis

Bizer, I believe the raised dock you spotted on Bear is at YMCA Camp Nokomis. These YMCA camps run through the end of August, and the sudden quiet left at the camps always signals the impending end of summer.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
For what should Bizer be looking?[*]Any Elvis sightings that you would like us to confirm
Saw him in the Broads last month.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #14
Bizer

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect the one from last year.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Two things I would like to see: 1. A bit clearer designation of where NWZ and NRZ begin and end, and 2. Increased designation of public islands/areas. I don't know if either is possible, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
anticd70

Bizer,

I purchased your app in July for my trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee and it stopped working one day randomly before I even got up to the lake. I emailed you guys to inquire and you advised that it no longer works on the iphone 6 or 6 plus. Any update on when it will work again on the iphone 6? Also will I have to pay again? Your hard copy map was excellent and came in handy.

Thanks
LA
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
caloway

Default ^^These

Would be nice to have better understanding of what's publicly accessible.

And the app doesn't work on iphone 6
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticd70 View Post
Bizer,

I purchased your app in July for my trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee and it stopped working one day randomly before I even got up to the lake. I emailed you guys to inquire and you advised that it no longer works on the iphone 6 or 6 plus. Any update on when it will work again on the iphone 6? Also will I have to pay again? Your hard copy map was excellent and came in handy.

Thanks
LA

I don't think the app is put out by Bizer. The author uses the chart from Bizer but it's not published by them as far as I know.

Rumors were out he was updating the app and may have some fixes.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hate say this but...

No Rafting Zone: Roberts Cove. essentially it looks like it is from just east of Plum Island.

(15) Roberts Cove, in the town of Alton, encompassing a described area as between the body of water in Roberts Cove, east of a line running north to south from the westerly boundary of lot 41 on tax map 48 to the westerly boundary of lot 1 on tax map 48.

I can't tell if it has passed or not. The line above in the Admin. Rules shows Robert's Cove Pending.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
First Mate

Default Tommy's Cove

A single redtop marker is shown on Bizer's chart on the north side of Tommy's Cove - however I believe there are two red markers there. (In Meredith across from Sally's Gut, outside of Flag/Round/Fish Coves).

Enjoy your time on the lake!!
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Two things I would like to see: 1. A bit clearer designation of where NWZ and NRZ begin and end, and 2. Increased designation of public islands/areas. I don't know if either is possible, but I thought I'd throw it out there. ...
I don't know if this is in reference to the current dispute about Winter Harbor, but otherwise, it's not that easy. For example, rafting is prohibited in "The entire area known as East Cove in the town of Moultonborough" Your beginning of East Cove may be different than mine. All I can say is, "No Rafting" next to East Cove.

As for increased designation of public islands and areas, Bizer is in a quandry. For every person who wants items added to the map, there are just as many who say that the map is too cluttered. Bizer does have some limited public areas listed on its FAQ page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
No Rafting Zone: Roberts Cove. essentially it looks like it is from just east of Plum Island. ...
I believe it's the area east of Quarter Mile Island, which is almost identical to the NO-WAKE zone in the same vicinity. Unlike the Marine Patrol web site, The General Court web site does not have it listed as pending. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
A single redtop marker is shown on Bizer's chart on the north side of Tommy's Cove - however I believe there are two red markers there. ...
Probably correct. According to my notes, there were two red-top markers from 1995 to 2002. One disappeared from 2003 to 2005. I don't recall viewing that area for the past few years, so it's on my list of things to check next week.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Bizer, I was more referring to things like Greene's Basin, which I thought was completely NW but which I've been told is only NW through the entrance--it may be my reading of the chart, but there are a couple places I'm not sure where NW begins or ends.

And the public thing vs. clutter I get--no worries!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Loub52 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #23
Denis D

The "No Wake" markers for the cove between Black Island and the mainland were replaced this spring with new ones reading "No Wake Entire Cove" leaving no ambiguity. Will this be done for other areas of the lake?
Sammusher (04-03-2016)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Quandry

" Bizer is in a quandry. For every person who wants items added to the map, there are just as many who say that the map is too cluttered. Bizer does have some limited public areas listed on its FAQ page."

I agree that the paper chart is way too cluttered, compounded by varying fonts to "match" some island names, etc. Electronically, I would love to see some layers, e.g. land, buoys and desired routes (dotted lines) only, like the old blue and yellow PUC charts (airplane landing strips excepted), then a layer for depths, one for NRZ, NWZ. The various shapes for types of buoys add to the clutter, and add to the necessity for expanded local area insets. Bizer could sell a new line of GPS chips using/hiding info that is already in the database.

While I appreciate Bizer's desire to be "the" authority, all I really need to know is which side of the buoy to go on. If I'm playing in the 40's or the Varney's , I live there and know my way. I'll explore in my kayak/canoe/jet ski, or I should avoid the area with my deep draft hull. Whether there are three rocks or six before or after July 4/Labor Day is overkill. Since you have to go headway speed within 150' of shore, showing that the area is shallow is unnecessary, so except for unusual areas like the Witches or Middle Ground Shoals, why bother with the blue? Even for these areas, they are marked with buoys, why bother?

Or sell two versions, a navigation chart and an expanded chart that shows rocks, wrecks and ice cream stands.

Many, many threads and postings on this forum show that people will hit something regardless of how much info is on the chart. If they are new to an area, and a simpler chart will be easier to interpret, maybe that's desirable.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #25
DUSTOFF

I see that the 9th edition is selling through this website.
You mentioned that you print charts in February.

Will a 10th edition be out before summer 2016?
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Or sell two versions, a navigation chart and an expanded chart that shows rocks, wrecks and ice cream stands.
Or combine the two into a double sided map, one side purely for navigation and the other with everything else.

On the electronic side that's much easier by just having by default the navigation map, then options to overlay whatever other information you so desire.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #27
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF View Post
I see that the 9th edition is selling through this website.
You mentioned that you print charts in February.

Will a 10th edition be out before summer 2016?
"February" was just a sarcastic comment. We print when supplies run low, although that usually occurs in the off season.
Bizer's 10th edition was an unfolded-paper-for-framing chart printed last summer when we ran out of unfolded maps.
I believe the answer you want is that we will just sent our 11th edition to our printer in Concord. These will be our waterproof and 5-mil laminated folded charts.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
DUSTOFF

Quote:
"February" was just a sarcastic comment. We print when supplies run low, although that usually occurs in the off season.
Bizer's 10th edition was an unfolded-paper-for-framing chart printed last summer when we ran out of unfolded maps.
I believe the answer you want is that we will just sent our 11th edition to our printer in Concord. These will be our waterproof and 5-mil laminated folded charts.
Thanks for the info! I would like a waterproof 11th edition when they are available
Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #29
DUSTOFF

I pre-ordered the 11th edition here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=store
Old 03-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #30
pjard

Quote:
I just checked your website and it still say the 9th edition for the folded laminated version. When will the 11th edition be ready?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #31
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I just checked your website and it still say the 9th edition for the folded laminated version. When will the 11th edition be ready?
Got my 11th edition in the mail yesterday. So its ready.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote