Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Glove

Default Lightning danger versus no-wake zone rules

Question for the experienced boaters: We were out in the boat to swim and tube with the kids today around 11:30 am. We didn't stray more than 7 minutes from our dock. After about 45 minute, the skies became a bit darker, and at the first site of lightning off in the distance, we immediately packed it in. We had the kids on board and were on our way within 60 seconds of seeing the first lightning. On our way in, we note a few more bolts of lightning, and they were clearly getting closer. And whereas the timing between the bolt and the thunder was 5 seconds (e.g. 5 miles) when we first saw the lightning, it was now about 1-1/2 seconds (e.g. 1.5 miles). Unfortnately, there is a no wake zone to get through on our way back to the dock, and this no-wake zone stretches for about 300 yards. I came off plane, but kept it at about 7 - 8 knots to hurry our return. (We have about another 4 minutes to our dock once we get out of the no wake zone.) I was cognizant that at 7 - 8 knots, we had a wake, albeit very small one. I've always maintained headway speed in this channel out of courtesy to the property owners (and the law). But this time, I was anxious to get off the water with lightning overhead. A man came running out of his house onto towards his dock waving his arms, yelling at me "this is a no wake zone, slow down!" I yelled back, "I'm sorry, there's lightning and we need to get off the water." He yelled back, "I don't care, slow down!"

As it pertains to the "no wake zone" in this situation, it seems to me that health and safety of people take priority over property. But I've only been boating for a few years, and defer to the judgement and advice of experts here. What is the proper thing to do here?
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
superdawgfan

Default Easy for me...

get off the water, especially if i've got little kids with me.
________
Honda FT500

Last edited by superdawgfan; 01-25-2011 at 07:34 AM.
superdawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
jrc

A no wake zone ticket is $55. If I really believed that my life or the life of my family was in danger, and I could do so without causing anymore danger, I'd break the law and pay the ticket.

That said, what's the odds of getting struck by lightning? Pretty slim, can anyone point to a verifiable lightning strike on a boat in Winnipesaukee? I've heard stories but never a news report.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
CanisLupusArctos

Safety first. If you honestly feel you are in danger by being on the water, and maintaining no-wake is putting you in even more danger, get off the water.

If you can hear the thunder, you are close enough to be hit. Boats on open water are among the most likely objects to be hit, for being the highest around. Below decks, and not touching anything metal, is the safest place to be. Underneath canvas doesn't count as below decks.

The most dangerous part of the storm is up to 20 miles ahead of it, where bolts from clear blue sky, originating from storms farther off, have killed people.

After the storm, high school athletics in NH do not resume game play after lightning delay until a certain amount of time has passed since the last thunder.

Delay between lightning and thunder: 5 seconds = 1 mile.

Most lightning strike victims are struck indirectly. Direct hits usually kill instantly and are rare. Indirect hits often cause cardiac arrest that is easily remedied by CPR/defibrillation. Lightning strike victims do NOT hold a charge. Just make sure that you and the victim are not in danger of being hit again. Even if there is no apparent injury following a lightning strike, an ER visit is always best, to check for possible nerve or cardiac damage. Lightning also causes electrical burns, which should be treated as you'd treat any other burns - only after you've made sure the person is breathing & pulsing.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
WakeUp

Default Way To Go Glove...

You handled it well....no shorefront/dock/precious beachfront, etc. is worth my families life. You let the guy know verbally your situation. His response was "I don't care." At that point I would have full-throttled back to safety.
As said in earlier replies..Safety First. More important than my opinion is your obligation for the safety of passengers. That trumps everything. Good for you to be aware of adverse weather and to react accordingly.
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default CLA - good info

Wife and I were playing golf yesterday afternoon at Farmington when the activity started. We were on the 5th/14th hole which brings you up by the club house when we heard the first rumbles of thunder. A quick look skyward, and we headed for the car.

Posted my score in the clubhouse, and heard the comment(s): No lightning out there, just a lot of Thunder.

Who skipped 4th grade science class??????

If you can hear the thunder, you are close enough to be hit.

Great advice, CLA!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
chipj29

I would have done the same thing, but I might have gone even faster. If on the water in a t-storm, I can't get off the water fast enough.
I would have spoken to the property owner, but would have waited until after the storm, when I calmed down a bit.

Legally, I am sure you could get a ticket from MP for that. However, there aren't many MP guys out there that would pull you over in an obviously dangerous situation.

A few years ago we were on Winnisquam at the sand bar. Way off in the distance you could hear a rumble of thunder. People started packing up, and the MP was cruising around the sand bar warning people of the storm over there loudspeaker. That storm came up super fast. By the time we got to the ramp (next to the bridge/Winnisquam Marine), it was right over us.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
lakershaker

Default Exigent circumstances

There is a defense of exigent circumstances (emergency situations or conditions which the law recognizes as excusing compliance with some procedural requirement or recognition of another's property or other interests.) that could be used here. Similar to if you are rushing to a hospital with an injury, you can break the speed limit, if you truly feel you are in danger being out in the storm, I think you could disregard the no-wake zone if you could do so in a reasonably safe manner. Since the threat of danger from lighting was imminent, it sounds like that was a reasonable expectation.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Skip

Post Competing Harms....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
There is a defense of exigent circumstances (emergency situations or conditions which the law recognizes as excusing compliance with some procedural requirement or recognition of another's property or other interests.) that could be used here. Similar to if you are rushing to a hospital with an injury, you can break the speed limit, if you truly feel you are in danger being out in the storm, I think you could disregard the no-wake zone if you could do so in a reasonably safe manner. Since the threat of danger from lighting was imminent, it sounds like that was a reasonable expectation.
Lakershaker is correct.

To be exact, RSA 627:3 pertains to the situation you describe, but be particularly mindful of section II...which doesn't appear to apply to you in this situation.

627:3 Competing Harms. –
I. Conduct which the actor believes to be necessary to avoid harm to himself or another is justifiable if the desirability and urgency of avoiding such harm outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the statute defining the offense charged. The desirability and urgency of such conduct may not rest upon considerations pertaining to the morality and advisability of such statute, either in its general or particular application.
II. When the actor was reckless or negligent in bringing about the circumstances requiring a choice of harms or in appraising the necessity of his conduct, the justification provided in paragraph I does not apply in a prosecution for any offense for which recklessness or negligence, as the case may be, suffices to establish criminal liability.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
kjbathe

Default Get off the water

It comes down to law vs. family safety. I was caught in a T-storm with lightning last year and did the same thing. Some passengers were upset that I was moving along too fast through the Governor's Island NWZ -- and I wasn't happy about it either -- but getting my little girl off the water and to shelter trumped any concern I had about paying whatever fine might have been imposed.

I'm not advocating that we choose to obey only the laws we find convenient. We each have the responsibility to look at the forecast, plan accordingly and not put ourselves in those situations. But, during those times when storms materialize as fast as they did yesterday, with such ferocity and two hours earlier than forecast, I concur that you have to get off the water as quickly and safely as you can. And if you have to pay a fine to do so, you pay it and move on.

$55? I would have gladly paid 10 times that amount to get off the water quickly that day...
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
kthy66

One thing that I have always been curious about is exactly how dangerous it is to be out on the lake in a boat during a storm.. Dont get me wrong I agree with your actions.. I would have done the same thing..
Im just curious about how oftern it happens and how much risk there is?
How often do you hear of boats being struck by lightning? What about boats on moorings; why dont they get hit? or boats at docks?
kthy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Happened to me last year but I was on my PWC and coming through Gov. Is NWZ with lightning chasing me real close.Another guy in a boat actually waves me to go and I do.I'm thinking later about the same question of this thread,whether it would ok in that situation.There is no thinking about it again.I'm actually in the water and not inside a boat so I really felt threatened.I still had to pull my boat out at Glendale and it was pretty scary standing in the water watching the lightning strikes hitting the ground and approaching fast!I made it but not by more than a minute.Safety first I say,especially on a PWC.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
GTO

Default Sat. thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
Question for the experienced boaters: We were out in the boat to swim and tube with the kids today around 11:30 am. We didn't stray more than 7 minutes from our dock. After about 45 minute, the skies became a bit darker, and at the first site of lightning off in the distance, we immediately packed it in. We had the kids on board and were on our way within 60 seconds of seeing the first lightning. On our way in, we note a few more bolts of lightning, and they were clearly getting closer. And whereas the timing between the bolt and the thunder was 5 seconds (e.g. 5 miles) when we first saw the lightning, it was now about 1-1/2 seconds (e.g. 1.5 miles). Unfortnately, there is a no wake zone to get through on our way back to the dock, and this no-wake zone stretches for about 300 yards. I came off plane, but kept it at about 7 - 8 knots to hurry our return. (We have about another 4 minutes to our dock once we get out of the no wake zone.) I was cognizant that at 7 - 8 knots, we had a wake, albeit very small one. I've always maintained headway speed in this channel out of courtesy to the property owners (and the law). But this time, I was anxious to get off the water with lightning overhead. A man came running out of his house onto towards his dock waving his arms, yelling at me "this is a no wake zone, slow down!" I yelled back, "I'm sorry, there's lightning and we need to get off the water." He yelled back, "I don't care, slow down!"

As it pertains to the "no wake zone" in this situation, it seems to me that health and safety of people take priority over property. But I've only been boating for a few years, and defer to the judgement and advice of experts here. What is the proper thing to do here?
If you are speaking of the 2nd storm that rolled through on Saturday, I wouldn't have even slowed down to say anything to the guy. Merideth/Ctr Harbor were under a tornado watch during that storm WMUR was warning people that the conditions were perfect and the clouds were moving in a circular motion. We got wind and some good size hail on the deck. Glad I wasn't out on the boat.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
KonaChick

We've been caught on the lake in bad weather both close to home and not so close to home. Our first bad experience was heading to Moultonborough after leaving Wolfeboro where a storm came up so fast and was so violent i had my children on the floor of the boat while we prayed! My husband had zero visibility yet remained calm, cool and collected as he drove home not at an accelerated speed but a safe one. We made it home safe and sound albeit soaking wet. Another storm a few summers ago was right outside the bay where we live. My husband had the kids and some cousins tubing and we could see the boat from the deck of our home. A storm with lots of lightening came out of nowhere and I panicked...screaming to get in, really just panicked. Well my screaming and panic got my husband so unnerved that he came racing in, barely was able to dock the boat and when he went to jump off the boat he slipped and fell and smashed his forhead into the dock resulting in a trip to the ER. My point is that we will all be caught off guard with bad weather on the lake at some point and your best bet is to remain calm and get to shelter safely.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
Cristen

I think you handled it well. I've been out on the lake before when a crazy thunder/lightening storm came in quickly too. I blow right through the no wake zones and don't think twice about it. If I get a ticket.....whatever, I'll pay it. I just want to get home and get off the water.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
.... My point is that we will all be caught off guard with bad weather on the lake at some point and your best bet is to remain calm and get to shelter safely.
Yes, good story and great advice.

Your odds of being hit by lightning are very low, don't hurt yourself or others in a panic to avoid a very low risk (1/700,000)
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Sman

....A man came running out of his house onto towards his dock waving his arms, yelling at me "this is a no wake zone, slow down!" I yelled back, "I'm sorry, there's lightning and we need to get off the water." He yelled back, "I don't care, slow down!"....

I am on the water front and I would have stayed in my house and yelled, hit the gas! Some people that are on the water front are a bit over the top with the no wake thing, this guy is obviously one of them, he runs "outside" to try and correct you during a lightning storm. You should have corrected him and told him to go back inside because of the lightning.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
Coolbreeze

Great post and as far as the % risk you were in, regardless you were in danger. The heck with flooring it, you should have pulled up to the guys dock and tied up and ran off the dock to safety. It is a great way to meet people and almost all the lake front owners won't mind you doing it. I have been in the same spot as you several summers ago at night and without kids. It was pretty frightening for all of us but wild none the less. Always have a plan "b" for incidents like this on the lake in case you can't out run mother nature... you were lucky this time but learned a valuable lesson.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
cowisl

We had a friend that passed away due to being struck by lightning while fishing with his kids. Safety first.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #20
wildwoodfam

Default No brainer....throttle up and get home!

Regarding the guy who is yelling from his dock - I wonder what he would have said if you asked him if you could tie up dockside to wait out the storm?!

Just another unfriendly waterfront resident on the big lake.

I am very disturbed by all of this negative and unfriendly behavior going on at the lake - the lake has changed - it is not changing - it has changed - and NOT for the better!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwoodfam For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (03-31-2016)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
Beggaman Thief

If I lived in the NWZ I would have been waving to Glove also but in a different way – to tell them they are welcomed to tie up at the dock and take shelter at my place if needed!!!
Beggaman Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Glove

Default Thank you for sharing your thoughts/wisdom

I appreciate everyone's feedback, which seem agree with the perspective of valuing safety of human life over that of property. Perhaps I'll find some time to cruise by next weekend and strike up a calm, apologetic conversation with this person to make sure everyone's "cool," regarding the matter, since I have to pass this dock frequently. Perhaps he's got a "trigger finger" if not enough people drop fully down to headway speed in front of his dock/boat/beach....and my case the other day was the exception where it was reasonably justified.

I'd like to indulge the experienced boaters here with one more related question on a different scenario: thunder/lightning storm blows in faster than expected at 6:00 pm that together with the nearing of sunset leads to darkness, high wind, pouring rain, and lightning is striking all around within 3 -5 miles. Hoards of boaters are caught unexpectedly in the lightning storm. and everyone is fleeing to get off the water in a hurry. I see some boaters take down their pole light (running with just the bow lights), whereas others keep their pole light up....which looks like an awfully good target for lightning. What's the proper thing to do in this situation?
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
Regarding the guy who is yelling from his dock - I wonder what he would have said if you asked him if you could tie up dockside to wait out the storm?!

Just another unfriendly waterfront resident on the big lake.

I am very disturbed by all of this negative and unfriendly behavior going on at the lake - the lake has changed - it is not changing - it has changed - and NOT for the better!!
From our experience those "unfriendly waterfront residents" are few and far between. If you're ever in our area during a storm come on in! We have a load of dock space and the fridge is usually filled with ice cold errrrrrrrr....now I'm promoting drinking and boating. Well come on in and I'll start the coffee.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #24
chipj29

Glove, I know that on land, lightning typically strikes the highest point. On many boats, the pole light is not the highest point on by far. Canopy frames and such would be more at risk IMO. I guess it boils down to what you think the bigger risk is...getting struck by lightning, or getting struck by another boat who couldn't see you.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #25
wildwoodfam

Default Didn't mean to point fingers at the h2o fronters....

Hi Kona,

I wasnt trying to single any of the waterfront folks out (though I guess I did ) - I know there are many who would have been out there waving for that boater to head to their dock to tie up and wait out the storm. We would do the same - in fact we have as have our neighbors in bad weather. We always make room to give shelter in a storm.

Just seems more often there are homeowners out on their docks letting folks have it - some with justification and sometime without. My point was that we have become meaner. We feel quite at ease to blast somebody - perfect strangers even - to just yell and give them heck.

There is a loss of civility all around us, and I would have hoped that the "shangri-la" aspects of a lake I have visited and call home in the summers (for nearly 40 years) would not have fallen victim to such a negative behavior, but it seems to have, especially in the past couple of years.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #26
GTO

Default stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Yes, good story and great advice.

Your odds of being hit by lightning are very low, don't hurt yourself or others in a panic to avoid a very low risk (1/700,000)
Tell those stats to the husband and his wife that were struck in Haverhill this past weekend. Actually, you can only tell the wife, her husband died.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #27
KonaChick

Quote:
Hi Kona,

I wasnt trying to single any of the waterfront folks out (though I guess I did ) - I know there are many who would have been out there waving for that boater to head to their dock to tie up and wait out the storm. We would do the same - in fact we have as have our neighbors in bad weather. We always make room to give shelter in a storm.

Just seems more often there are homeowners out on their docks letting folks have it - some with justification and sometime without. My point was that we have become meaner. We feel quite at ease to blast somebody - perfect strangers even - to just yell and give them heck.

There is a loss of civility all around us, and I would have hoped that the "shangri-la" aspects of a lake I have visited and call home in the summers (for nearly 40 years) would not have fallen victim to such a negative behavior, but it seems to have, especially in the past couple of years.
I think we need to get t-shirts made up with "Proud Winni h2o Fronter". I love it!! When you put it the way you just did I completely understand where you're coming from and now I understand what you're trying to say. I agree with your points about yelling at people just to yell and the loss of civility. You've been up at the lake for 40 summers?? You have much more experience than I do to base your opinion on. Let's hope things change...for the better.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
Rinkerfam

I've only been caught twice by fast moving thunderstorms during my 25 seasons on the big lake. One time I pulled up to a strangers dock and was welcomed with open arms, and the other time I made my way into Smith Cove (destination Fay's Boat Yard) on plane. The bottom line is that you do what you have to (without being foolish) to get out of harms way.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
hazelnut

Quote:

Sorry for the foul language reference here but... **** that guy I would have flew through that area to get my wife and kids home to beat the storm provided I knew I could beat the storm. Other than that I'd head for the nearest dock and tie up. Any shorefront owner that turns away a boater/family in distress has no place on our lake. I myself would welcome any traveler stuck in a storm with open arms, a dry place and a beverage/snack until it clears. I believe that we are a community of lake lovers and we all owe each other a courtesy that we will all be in need of at some time in our boating lives.
With that said, anyone in distress in the Barbers pole area the yellow camp on cow is a friendly refuge....
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
With that said, anyone in distress in the Barbers pole area the yellow camp on cow is a friendly refuge....
OK HN but my definition of distress might be different than yours.I'll have a vodka and....Thank you very much!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
hazelnut

Yes SIKSUKR distress can come in many forms.

Like:
I was so distressed with the beauty of the lake I needed a drink.

All I have is Grey Goose is that ok?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #32
chipj29

Quote:

Like:

How about this...I am very distressed that my cooler is empty.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
HUH

Default I live in a no wake zone

And I could care less about the waves when safety is an issue.. Id rather you just plane it off than go half throttle only to create a larger wake.
What gets me though are the people who, "on a clear day" need to hurry in for lunch, dinner or to go the bathroom. Boats pass less than 50 feet off the end of our dock and im amazed at how disrespectful many can be. Funny thing , it seems to be island residents mostly who push the limits of the rules as if they had special privilages... sound familiar
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #34
SIKSUKR

Quote:

Like:

Oh boy,your gonna regret those last 2 posts.I was actually right near your place last Saturday while checking out the Cow Island restaurant.Carry on.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #35
kthy66

Quote:

GPS on.. Waypoint set,,,

Ok good to go
Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
hazelnut

"Honey, we're gonna need more place settings."
"Why"
"See all those boats over there."
"Yeah"
"They are in distress."
"How can you tell"
"I just can.... I just can"

Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #37
chipj29

I just wish I knew which island was Cow Island.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #38
kthy66

Quote:
"Honey, we're gonna need more place settings."
"Why"
"See all those boats over there."
"Yeah"
"They are in distress."
"How can you tell"
"I just can.... I just can"

Insert theme from Jaws here: "Honey we're gonna need a bigger island"
Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #39
Orion

Default can I walk over

Quote:
Any shorefront owner that turns away a boater/family in distress has no place on our lake. I myself would welcome any traveler stuck in a storm with open arms, a dry place and a beverage/snack until it clears. I believe that we are a community of lake lovers and we all owe each other a courtesy that we will all be in need of at some time in our boating lives.
Hazelnut, the weather is clouding up pretty bad and I'm starting to get worried. OK if I walk over from the other side of the island for that beverage?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #40
Phantom

Hazelnut -- set another seat up!!

I was coming around the barber pole, looked at my fuel guage and got extremely depressed/ no no no -- I mean DISTRESSED ..................... who knew (at the time) you were so accomadating
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #41
fatnoah

If I were in the original poster's situation, I would have tied up at the guys dock, gone into his house, and waited out the storm and said, "Thanks for helping get my family out of harm's way quickly!"
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #42
hazelnut

What I MEANT to say it was the GREEN house.... yeah the Green one. Ummmm yeah plenty of parking come on over. If we're not home just help yourself.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #43
twins

Here's my story about this...The storm was coming across the lake and everyone was scrambling to get home before it hit. I was headed through the Barber Pole with a line of boats in each direction. It is narrow, but if everyone gives way and stays to the side, you can stay on plane. Of course, here's comes a pontoon boat at 5 mph on a nice ride right down the middle, oblivious to everyone else.

Everyone had to basically stop and here are two Marine Patrol boats rafting by the Pole chatting. My boat is fairly large and even at slow speed it kicks up a bit of a wake, I was trying to get away from the pontoon boat so I could get back up on plane. The MP motions for me to slow down, which I do. As I went by I said "We're just trying to get home before the storm hits, I have 2 5yr olds with me" MP yells at me "I don't care, that's no excuse for breaking the law!" The discussion basically went downhill from there, I was looking behind me the rest of the way home waiting for him to come get me.

I respect what they do out there, especially when they are patrolling in weather I wouldn't step foot off the dock in, but I just had to shake my head
and wonder if they see all boaters as the enemy.
twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #44
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins View Post
Here's my story about this...The storm was coming across the lake and everyone was scrambling to get home before it hit. I was headed through the Barber Pole with a line of boats in each direction. It is narrow, but if everyone gives way and stays to the side, you can stay on plane. Of course, here's comes a pontoon boat at 5 mph on a nice ride right down the middle, oblivious to everyone else.
Sounds a bit distressing...

A visit to the green cottage on Cow Island near the Barber Pole, perhaps, would be a future solution?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #45
Waterbaby

Default Ignore the NWZ and keep the light on

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback, which seem agree with the perspective of valuing safety of human life over that of property. Perhaps I'll find some time to cruise by next weekend and strike up a calm, apologetic conversation with this person to make sure everyone's "cool," regarding the matter, since I have to pass this dock frequently. Perhaps he's got a "trigger finger" if not enough people drop fully down to headway speed in front of his dock/boat/beach....and my case the other day was the exception where it was reasonably justified.

I'd like to indulge the experienced boaters here with one more related question on a different scenario: thunder/lightning storm blows in faster than expected at 6:00 pm that together with the nearing of sunset leads to darkness, high wind, pouring rain, and lightning is striking all around within 3 -5 miles. Hoards of boaters are caught unexpectedly in the lightning storm. and everyone is fleeing to get off the water in a hurry. I see some boaters take down their pole light (running with just the bow lights), whereas others keep their pole light up....which looks like an awfully good target for lightning. What's the proper thing to do in this situation?
Glove, I think you definitely did the right thing -- safety first! As far as the property owner goes, I agree with others here, first and foremost you should have been offered a safe haven, not been yelled at like that. The ticket price of $55 is a low price to pay -- that's even if there were any MPs around to ticket you, they should probably have all been heading for safety themselves!

As far as keeping the pole light up or not -- I would definitely keep mine up and ON. In a situation like that, where everyone is rushing to safety, the more visibility my boat has the better. Also, keep this in mine -- high winds usually equal high swells; the pole light may be the only thing visible indicating a boat's presence if you are between swells.

Glad you made it to port safely and were able to start this thread, and happy boating!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #46
HUH

Default Weather

I realize weather can come quickly but we usualy check the weather forcast/radar before heading out. If anythings over the horizon, we stay in. Ive outrun some storms ive seen heading at me and will continue to do so even with the New speed limit. Im glad marine patrol is out there and they arnt tourist guides or park rangers they are the Law
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #47
jrc

Yes, safety first but be careful out there.

Under normal conditions you are at least ten times more likely to be killed in a boating accident than you are to be killed by lightning. In the USA about 70 people a year are killed by lightning and about 700 are killed in boating accidents.

It makes no sense to be carelessly blasting through traffic to avoid getting stuck in a storm. Glove talked about going through a No Wake Zone where I assume there was no other traffic. Basically he commited a minor property crime to enhance the safety of his family. That's an easy decision.

If instead you want to break the 150' no wake zone to other boats, in a crowded channel, I'm not so sure. At that point you're possibly causing more danger. This means that you have to trade off relative dangers. The fine is still $55, but your chance of causing an accident hurting your family or others is much more likely than the chance of being hit by lightning.

Be really careful, being stuck in a boat in a thunderstorm is frightening, don't let that fear make you careless and unsafe.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #48
Airwaves

During a lightening storm I would do everything in my power to quickly get off the water. The Coast Guard Nav rules (that don't apply in NH) allow taking any and all action to avoid causing injury or death on your boat even if it means violating the NAVRULES. (paraphrasing)

What I do object to is folks using a regular old downpour to ignore NWZs. I was going through the Gov Is channel NWZ when the skies opened up one afternoon, no lightening, no thunder, just an old fashioned summer downpour and I had some rocket scientist behind me, blowing his horn and riding my stern because I adhered to the NWZ rules.

Gee, image you're on a boat in 80 degree weather and in danger of getting wet...horrible! So all rules are off?

Right...My reaction?

I slowed down
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #49
2Blackdogs

Yesterday afternoon was a prime example, with lightning seen around the fringes of Lake Winnipesaukee, light rain, and no hint of thunder. I've seen it reported that lightning can reach out 30 miles from a storm, which is well within Winni range of what could be seen yesterday. It's surprising that sailboats, with their metal masts, aren't struck with every storm.

Lightning often retraces its own ionized track several times in an eyeblink.

Especially if you're the only boat out on Winni, does the partially ionized trail of a boat's exhaust gases provide a ionized trail for lightning to follow?

I think Glove did the right thing, too. But more importantly, it would be better to scan the skies for typical "boomers", especially if you can't hear anything while boating.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #50
Orion

Default You all have weather radar!

Every boat that has a cellphone has an onboard weather radar. Services like Verizon have applications like MyCast weather (probably same or similar on other providers) which allows you to get terrific radar scans of your area and out as far as you want as well as recorded lightning strikes over the last hour. This has been invaluable in determining whether or not to go out and to determine when to come in. It's only a few bucks a month and I find it to be the most important use of the cell phone while boating in New England.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #51
twins

Something that sometimes seems to get lost in these discussions, is the fact that while on most days 90% of the boaters are having fun out there tubing, skiing, seeing how many boating rules they can break etc., for those of us who live on islands, we are coming back from the store, doctor, picking the kids up from school. We don't have the luxury of deciding to take the car or wait for the weather to get better. Every trip begins and ends with a boat ride across the lake.

The next time you see some fool out there in the pouring rain, with his head stuck through the canvas, trying to see where the markers are, you are probably looking at an islander who wouldn't change places with you on the mainland for anything!
twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #52
jonfinn

This has been an interesting read. It's made me think about how I would handle it if I'm in that situation. I'm a pretty conservative boater who doesn't like pushing that envelope. Even so, I've found myself blasting toward toward the dock to get away from the storm. They come up fast sometimes!

A few years ago my house was hit by lightning. I was in it when it happened. I was very lucky in that the damage was minimal. But Mother Nature has my attention and respect now!

The thought of docking at a stranger's house in imminent danger is an interesting one. Of course I would never want to intrude on anyone's privacy, but that could be a safer/smarter alternative to breaking NWZ rules.

Is there a protocol?
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #53
Orion

Default Just pull in and be friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
Is there a protocol?
No protocol, just pull into the dock (without damaging dock and other boats) and head for the covered porch that most places have. Ask if it's ok to wait out the storm and 99.99% of the owners will welcome you in. We had a boat pull in in such a storm when we rented a place in W. Alton shore area. We were happy to provide a haven, as we would be equally glad to have the favor returned in reverse situation.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #54
Frank

Quote:
Question for the experienced boaters: We were out in the boat to swim and tube with the kids today around 11:30 am. We didn't stray more than 7 minutes from our dock. After about 45 minute, the skies became a bit darker, and at the first site of lightning off in the distance, we immediately packed it in. We had the kids on board and were on our way within 60 seconds of seeing the first lightning. On our way in, we note a few more bolts of lightning, and they were clearly getting closer. And whereas the timing between the bolt and the thunder was 5 seconds (e.g. 5 miles) when we first saw the lightning, it was now about 1-1/2 seconds (e.g. 1.5 miles). ...
Perhaps just a typo above, but if you see lightning and then hear its associated thunder 5 seconds later, that lightning is 1 mile away, not 5 miles away. Sound travels at about 1/5 mile per second. So, if you see the bolt and then hear the thunder in 1 second, that bolt was about 1100 feet away.

- Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-21-2016)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #55
NHskier

I've also found this a very interesting thread. First off because my wife and I faced this exact situation last summer. We were out for a "dinner cruise" and because of the darkening skies and NOAA alerts stayed in the northern end of Paugus Bay, very close to home (Thurston's). Once we saw that huge bolt of lightning it was time to book it in. Going into the Weirs Channel I had the same thoughts - do I have to keep to NWZ speed or can I push it? There was little or no other traffic (probably because the smart boaters were already in) so I took it in somewhat faster, maybe 10mph. We docked, got the canvas on, and just got under cover when it opened up buckets. We learned our lesson that day.

But this thread has also been helpful on the bolt/thunder and distance. I'd always heard that the distance was 1 mile for every second between lightning seen and thunder heard.

And while I carry a VHF handheld radio with NOAA weather and alert notification, I'm going to look into the Verizon radar service mentioned. That could be a great complement.

As always, this is a great forum!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #56
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post

But this thread has also been helpful on the bolt/thunder and distance. I'd always heard that the distance was 1 mile for every second between lightning seen and thunder heard.
As always, this is a great forum!
Sound travels at app 1000 ft per second.5280 feet in a mile and you have about 5 seconds per mile.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #57
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

If I got caught in a sudden storm with kiddies on board and lightning was heading my way.....".no wake" and speed limit laws wouldn't be a rat's patootie to me.Risk getting someone killed because of some carping shore owner?...don't think so.
By the way.....I live in a no wake zone and I'm actually HAPPY when someone throws up a wake.It cleans my beach for me
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #58
brk-lnt

I've been reading through these posts, and FTR, I've weathered a storm or two.

Why do the rules go out the road on the water? If you get caught in a storm in your car do you ignore school speed limit zones and fear for your life?
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #59
Dave M

Don't think so BRK-INT. A car is one of the safest places to be in a lightening storm. With a boat, your sitting on water with a pole light that says "come get me". I'd do every reasonable to get in and if I did get a ticket I would probably fight it, especially if the judge has a boat.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #60
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Don't think so BRK-INT. A car is one of the safest places to be in a lightening storm. With a boat, your sitting on water with a pole light that says "come get me". I'd do every reasonable to get in and if I did get a ticket I would probably fight it, especially if the judge has a boat.

Dave M
What "pole" a stern or anchor light?

Considering that Winni is a freshwater body and is relatively narrow, plus the majority of the boats are fiberglass and I would guess that few (if any) are actually "bonded", the lightning strike danger is more real than imagined. ESPECIALLY in narrow areas, like most NWZs.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #61
wildwoodfam

Default Apples and Oranges....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
If you get caught in a storm in your car do you ignore school speed limit zones and fear for your life?
Sorry brk-lnt you pretty much lost your argument with that comment. Winni being a VERY large and not so narrow body of water in comparison to several other bodies of water in that vacinity does indeed attract strikes - have seen it myself. My question for you - since you made the comparison...

Would you rather be in your boat or car when it was struck by lightening?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #62
Silver Duck

NWZs exist to protect the safety of the boating public in narrow, congested passages - not to protect somebody's shorefront property.

That said, I try to be extra courteous to shorefront property owners by slowing to no wake speeds well before the start of a NWZ, staying at those speeds until I'm well past the end of the NWZ, and, to the greatest extent possible, staying way the heck offshore if I'm up on plane. I know what a nuisance large wakes can be; where my slip is located, I get hit with some real "doozeys" sometimes and my boat is my shorefront property!

But, if I was caught out on the lake with kids aboard and lightning licking at my heels, and it wouldn't endanger people in another boat, well, gangway, comin' through!

I'd be cussing myself as a bonehead for getting caught out in a thunderstorm, but getting those kids to safety is "Job #1" and protecting somebody's property is so far down the priority list it isn't even on the same page.

Sorry if it offends some of you, but that's how it has to be, and I wouldn't expect somebody else to worry about bouncing my boat around in its slip either under those circumstances!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #63
brk-lnt

Quote:
Sorry brk-lnt you pretty much lost your argument with that comment. Winni being a VERY large and not so narrow body of water in comparison to several other bodies of water in that vacinity does indeed attract strikes - have seen it myself. My question for you - since you made the comparison...

Would you rather be in your boat or car when it was struck by lightening?

I wasn't making an argument so much as asking a question.

You're probably at a greater danger of being struck at your home or marina (more things to attract the initial strike) than you are out on the water.

In response to your question, I'd "rather" be in neither, but when a storm comes up in either case I try to get to safety as efficiently as possible in a sane manner.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #64
Airwaves

Default High Speed through NWZs in severe weather!

Here is the "rule" that I paraphrased in my above quote. It comes from the COLREGS. General Rule 2:

Now while USCG NAV RULES and/or the COLREGS are not in effect on Lake Winnipesaukee, or accepted in NH, I would be hard pressed to think that a judge would impose penalties upon you for going through the Bear Island No Wake Zone at 70 MPH, even next year, if there were a tornadoe or severe thunderstorm warning in effect with lightening already in the sky!

Quote:
"The Prudential Rule"
Rule 2 This is often referred to unofficially as the "Rule of Good Seamanship" or the "General Prudential Rule." This Rule first states that all the Rules must be complied with, and the customary practices of good seamanship must be followed. But it then goes on to recognize that there may be "special circumstances." Its intention is to apply common sense to the interpretation and application of the Rules, and to prevent any perversion of the Rules to avoid the consequences of their misconstruction or misapplication. It recognizes that a departure from the strict language of the Rules may be required to avoid immediate danger - no vessel has the right of way through another vessel! There may be special situations where a departure from the Rules is not only desirable, but is required. Should a collision result, strict literal compliance with the Rules may not be a defense.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #65
CanisLupusArctos

With speed limits now passed, it is important to emphasize that you should use all the throttle you have to avoid being caught in a lightning storm. This is not a political statement but a legitimate weather safety tip - DON'T get caught in one of Lake Winnipesaukee's notorious thunderstorms.

The storm of June 22 produced rainfall at a rate of nearly 8 inches per hour for one minute, during a 10-minute period of sustained 4"-per-hour rainfall. In such a rain event your visibility would be zero.

I have seen many thunderstorms on Winnipesaukee produce winds of hurricane force (75 mph.) In The Broads, it can get waves up to 6 feet in a very short time - I experienced it once and never again if I can help it. It was terrifying to be in The Broads and unable to see over the next wave. Even a couple miles from shore, you'd have waves of 2-3 feet. It could run you into rocks you can't even see, and then you'd be totally at the mercy of the weather.

Last week's storm included baseball size hail at Alexandria, and reported golfball hail at Meredith. Hail has been known to break car windows and I'm sure boat windows too. Getting hit in the head with golfball-size hail inflicts about the same amount of trauma as getting hit in the head with an actual golfball, except it happens repeatedly. Getting hit with baseball size hail would be pretty similar to standing on home plate without a batting helmet while Jonathan Papelbon leads the Red Sox pitching staff in some fastball practice.

First advice to boaters is know your weather and check it any time you're going more than a short distance from your dock. Storms don't always come from the same direction. Winnipesaukee's thunderstorms most often come from the NW and move to the SE, but the most severe ones usually move from SW to NE as last week's storm did. Last year I even saw one form over The Broads out of clear air (literally, I saw the thunderhead grow) and then move from SE to NW. Sometimes individual cells are moving SW to NE within a line that's moving NW to SE. In most thunderstorm days, the radar loop can give you a good idea of which way the storms will be going that day.

Second advice: They do make lightning detectors. One of the cheapest weather equipment sites I have found is www.ambientweather.com, and they carry personal lightning detectors. You can also get a cheap subscription to www.weathertap.com, which has a lightning detector map. It's better than radar, because radar only shows rain intensity. The lightning detector maps actually show if those rain cells are producing lightning, and whether it's increasing or dying. You can have a light rain shower that's producing a lot of lightning, or a heavy rain shower that's producing none. You wouldn't know by looking at radar alone.

Personal lightning detectors are popular with golfers and boaters, and can estimate the distance of lightning the same way as a radar detector approximates how far away the State Trooper is.

A cheap lightning detector is AM radio. Set the radio on the lowest band to get it away from all the broadcasts and into a totally blank frequency. Lightning will come across as jolts of static that sound like rips in the otherwise steady AM buzz. The louder they are, the closer they are. I have found that it detects lightning 50 miles away. That gives you an hour if the storm is coming your way at 50 mph like June 22's storm was. If you use this, get to know it *beforehand*. Don't use it for the first time in a life-or-death situation.

It is also a good idea to take a Wilderness first aid class from SOLO (www.soloschools.com) while you are in New Hampshire for the summer. Very useful stuff for anyone who plans to be outdoors.

And once again, if you are caught off-guard by a storm even after all the preparations mentioned above, forget the speed limit and the no wake zone and USE THE THROTTLE, but only if you know where you're going and aren't endangering anyone outside your boat in the process.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #66
Rose

We have the first version of the Strike Alert which my husband got as a Christmas present from my parents. The only problem is that it will also detect electrical equipment, so you have to be careful about where you place it. It's good to find a spot where it isn't subject to the "noise" before you need to use it for its true purpose.

Our female cat is the only one in the household who is afraid of thunderstorms. When she hears the lightning detector go off, she runs down to the basement to hide in the closet under the stairs.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #67
Weekend Pundit

Default Severe Weather - My Experiences

Like many of you, I too have been caught out on the lake when a squall line or series of thunderstorms have come through.

In most cases I knew well in advance T-storms were on the way, usually via the NOAA broadcasts (my VHF radios have the WX Alert feature), and had enough time to make it back home. But there have been a few times I've been caught out on the lake, too far from home. In those cases I ended up pulling up to the closest dock I could find and buttoned things up, assuming there was time. The only time I wasn't welcomed by the owner was when they weren't in residence. Every other time my family and I were taken in and sat out the storm until it passed.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #68
DUSTOFF

Default Old thread, I know...

Quote:
Sorry for the foul language reference here but... **** that guy I would have flew through that area to get my wife and kids home to beat the storm provided I knew I could beat the storm. Other than that I'd head for the nearest dock and tie up. Any shorefront owner that turns away a boater/family in distress has no place on our lake. I myself would welcome any traveler stuck in a storm with open arms, a dry place and a beverage/snack until it clears. I believe that we are a community of lake lovers and we all owe each other a courtesy that we will all be in need of at some time in our boating lives.
Many years ago (long before smart phones and mobile radar apps) my brothers, some friends and myself got stuck in a bad storm on our small local lake. We didn't even have time to motor 2 miles to the launch. There was a boathouse very close by so I immediately bee-lined to it. We had never seen a boat in or around it, so I was pretty sure it would be vacant.
We pulled in and in hindsight probably should've gotten off the boat, but I felt very wrong about being there in the first place, and certainly didn't want to trespass any more than we already had so we stayed in the boat until the storm passed. I was really worried about getting into trouble, but much more concerned with the lightning!
I think I was 18 at the time, and this was on my parents boat.

Fast forward another 18 years: My wife and I just bought our first boat. We have a 1 year old boy and another on the way. We plan to do some exploring on Winnipesaukee this Spring and Summer.

I found this old thread while searching for other people's storm experiences.

Granted, we now forecast information at our fingertips and a VHF radio with wx alerts, but it is good to know that there are some decent people on the big lake who would offer shelter in that type of situation.
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #69
radioman

Default Lightening Danger

Clove, you did the right thing! Next season, before you venture out with your family either listen to a forecast, or simply tune your radio (in the am mode) and listen for "white noise" you will learn to recognize it when you hear it.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #70
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Clove, you did the right thing! Next season, before you venture out with your family either listen to a forecast, or simply tune your radio (in the am mode) and listen for "white noise" you will learn to recognize it when you hear it.
I agree I check the forecasts religiously but I will say there was one of two storms last year that snuck up on me really quick. Like OP did we cruised through the no wake zone faster than we should've but not WOT. I would rather pay for your boat bumping up against your dock or a 55$ ticket than bury one of my kids or friends because we couldn't get off the lake in time.

One storm I was WOT pointing towards land and the wind was pushing me so hard I couldn't get to my side of the lake, I docked at some random persons dock and knocked on their door. Politely explained the situation and told them whatever they wanted I would provide to keep my boat there till the storm settled down. You only get 1 life in this game.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #71
8gv

If it were an airplane in an emergency you could violate any regulation to ensure the safety of the pilot and passengers.

On a boat, I would do the same.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #72
radioman

Default Lightning danger

Winni, I forgot to mention, always watch the horizon especially the to the west.
There is no dishonor for a boater to come ashore whenever a storm is heading your way regardless of where that might be.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #73
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

The safety of yourself and your crew always comes first. I can't imagine any landowner would get mad if you had to come ashore to take cover on their property and if they did, they are not much of a human being in my book!

Dan
DRH (03-15-2016), upthesaukee (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #74
radioman

Default Lightning

If anyone on NH lakes get caught in a serious storm, well guess what. shame on you, as a captain, you have not kept your ear to the ground!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #75
Old Sarge

Default Easy choice!

I think this comes under the heading, "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six"!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #76
Dad sold the C * C

I believe I know one of the storms Winnisquamer is talking about if it was a weekend. It formed quickly and came at the lake from an odd direction. Many people were caught at the sand bar or up in the Loon sanctuary. I got docked and covered just in time to watch a bunch of people going north and a bunch going south. I was happy to be in the house surrounded by really tall Hemlocks

I'm a huge fan of checking radar on phones and other devices, it really helps make an OK day when the forecast is "scattered thunderstorms".
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #77
Winnisquamer

I can't remember the date. But if my memory is correct the forecast was clear as could be and somewhere just off the lake had a microburst and we caught the outskirts of it. Lasted maybe 20 minutes, felt like an hour.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #78
DUSTOFF

Quote:
There is no dishonor for a boater to come ashore whenever a storm is heading your way regardless of where that might be.
Quote:
If anyone on NH lakes get caught in a serious storm, well guess what. shame on you, as a captain, you have not kept your ear to the ground!
There is no dishonor, but shame on you. But no dishonor!
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #79
NoBozo

i can't speak for a small powerboat on the lake. I have been out on Narragansett Bay in Rhode island in a Pearson Ensign (22 foot Sailboat w/o and inboard engine) ..during an electrical storm. I touched the jib sheet track on deck with my hand and could feel a "Tingle" of electricity.

The jib sheet track was NOT Bonded.

Twice..Later on, I sailed to Bermuda and back single handed in a larger boat that WAS Bonded. Same conditions. No problems. Electrical storms happen all the time.

What is BONDED. All the significant metal on the boat is physically "Wired" together to ground...like through hull fittings, a propeller shaft.etc...including the mast.. all goes back to the battery.

So what does this do: You have a mast sticking up into the sky. It is grounded to the water..Good. There is electrical energy flying around in the air above your boat..as Static Electricity. The Static Electricity "sees' your mast and and "goes to it" ...and DISSIPATES...just bleeds to ground because you are bonded.

If you were not grounded, the electrical energy flying around would Build Up (Not seeing ground) until it could not contain itself..And THEN EXPLODES on your un-grounded boat.

Solution: Be Bonded. All the through hull fittings on the boat (Outdrives, Outboard motors, etc.) and significant above deck fittings are physically "wired" together. NB

PS: WIRED means Wired...with wires running from one fitting to another.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #80
SIKSUKR

IMO even more important than watching forecasts is to have a weather app on your phone. The ones I have are free and you get up to the minute live radar loops. T-storms can be hit or miss so when seeing clouds building, check that radar and see whats headed for your area. I have local apps from WMUR and NECN which have great zoomable radar links.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #81
jbolty

Many, many ,many years ago I was in an aluminum canoe on squam with a buddy. Clear day but out of nowhere a storm blew up with lightning. Some people on the shore waved us over and we spent the afternoon at their camp eating and drinking and afterward they loaded up our boat on a truck and dropped us home.

Fond memory from some 35 years ago
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Dave R (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #82
Rich

I know this is an old OLD thread, but now we have more technology.

My FAVORITE boating app is 'Radar NOW', it's an Android app that has all the weather radar showing in real time. That's all it does, weather radar.

I check it before I leave the dock, and check it periodically while on the water if there is a possibility of a summer storm. I can usually watch the storm cells floating across NH and have a very good idea of where they are tracking.

Check it out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adar_now&hl=en

I don't know if they make an equivalent iPhone app.

This one is unique in that it does ONE thing very well, Weather RADAR. Yes, I know there are other weather apps out there, but this one is outstanding IMHO for this purpose. Oh, did I say it's FREE!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #83
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I know this is an old OLD thread, but now we have more technology.

My FAVORITE boating app is 'Radar NOW', it's an Android app that has all the weather radar showing in real time. That's all it does, weather radar.

I check it before I leave the dock, and check it periodically while on the water if there is a possibility of a summer storm. I can usually watch the storm cells floating across NH and have a very good idea of where they are tracking.

Check it out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adar_now&hl=en

I don't know if they make an equivalent iPhone app.

This one is unique in that it does ONE thing very well, Weather RADAR. Yes, I know there are other weather apps out there, but this one is outstanding IMHO for this purpose. Oh, did I say it's FREE!
That's a good one, Rich. My son has it on his Galaxy. The best one I've found fore the iphone is "WeatherBug" The same thing, it has really good live radar plus a thing called "Spark" which tells you in seconds how near the closest lightning is to your location. I've relied on that many times at the lake.
upthesaukee (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #84
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Constantly check the weather...

We wanted to go out on our boat a few years back, leaving from Parker Marine in Alton Bay, and go out to Chestnut Cove / Robert's Cove for a little peaceful anchor time and swim to cool off. Hot humid day.

Checked the weather radar just before leaving, and there was a line of thunderstorms in upstate NY and VT moving basically east. I even clicked on the "cell direction tracker" feature, and it also showed the storms moving basically east, and would remain north of the Ossipees, up toward No. Conway. Headed out as planned.

We got out there, found our favorite (secret) spot, and dropped anchor. All the way out the bay, we could see the storms over toward the Meredith end of the lake, still looking well north or northwest of the lake, and it still looked good. As I was opening the bimini, and walking forward to hook the tiedowns, I glanced at the Ossipees, and the left edge (NW end) were obscured by rain. We stared at it for a few minutes, and decided that discretion was the better part of valor.

While I put the boot back on the bimini and pulled the anchor, my wife pulled out her phone and checked the radar. The line had turned more southeast, and was now bearing down on the lake. Fired up, and headed back to the dock. We got tied up and buttoned up, and as we pulled out of Parker's parking lot, the skies opened up.

Thank God for being smart enough to look around, check the weather radar once again, and being smart enough to get the heck out of Dodge!!!!
salty dog (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #85
SIKSUKR

This is exactly why you need to watch a radar loop and not just a static radar shot. It clearly shows whats coming, which direction and its easy to time it to your location by watching how far it moves in that particular loop length of time. They all have it clearly marked and matched with the time. I've bookmarked both my apps on the radar loop so they is no going through menus and it works just like what Rich was posting about. Very easy to zoom in and out and move around with typical finger swipes used on phones.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #86
Dave R

Weather radar is awesome, but sometimes the storms simply form out of thin air (literally) right on top of you. Had that happen a couple of times hiking in the mountains. Oh well, gotta die of something...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #87
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Micro-burst

Living on Welch Island all spring, summer and fall allows me to see some weather that occurs that can catch anyone off guard, I don't care what kind of weather app or radio you have! I have seen micro bursts form so fast and be so violent that you swear a tornado just touched down! Sometimes they only last a couple minutes and their gone, but they are very violent!

I was caught by one on the lake 2 years ago fishing near diamond island. I didn't even have time to get back to Welch. I could see it forming over Welch heading towards me. Instead I immediately docked at someone's camp on Diamond and rode it out safely. It only lasted a few minutes and I was on my way. There were no warnings issued on the radio until after it was over.

Point is, while a weather app or radio is a good tool to have, never let it take the place of common sense, experience and good instinct. Do whatever you have to do to keep yourself, your crew and your vessel safe. ALL shoreline landowners should welcome and help anyone in this kind of situation.

Dan
Old 03-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #88
SIKSUKR

Dans correct but if you keep an eye to the sky in the direction they should be coming from you usually have time to see it building. Most apps have almost up to the minute radar display. As Dan said I have watched storms pop up really fast on the radar and then fade away to nothing all within 20 minutes. Which is exactly why I want that technology in my hand. There is nothing better imo.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #89
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default food for thought

You can be 5-10 miles from a thunderstorm and get struck. In sunny skies!
If you're close enough to hear thunder, then you're close enough to be struck by lightning!
Lightning is the only thunderstorm threat that can reach outside the periphery of the storm.
Mother Nature is a mad scientist!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #90
CrownRay

had a similar situation, only it was on in a popular cove on the ocean. We are all just sitting there dumb and happy, and WHAM! Big storm comes in. Swells were picking up in this usually flat-water area and lightning all around. We all pulled up anchor and began to high-tail it out of there. Of course, all these boats trying to squeeze out of the only entrance to the cove was comical. With the winds getting uncomfortably strong, I decided, screw it...and I pulled into the nearest un-occupied dock I could find! I sat tied up to this dock in front of some guy's house. Looking off in the distance, I watched all the boats dissapear into a near zero visibilty rain. I then saw the owner of the house in his kitchen window. He just waved to me. A little while later, the storm let up, and I was back on the anchor
Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #91
ApS

Thumbs up Best Seat in The House for Weather-Watching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We wanted to go out on our boat a few years back, leaving from Parker Marine in Alton Bay, and go out to Chestnut Cove / Robert's Cove for a little peaceful anchor time and swim to cool off. Hot humid day. Checked the weather radar just before leaving, and there was a line of thunderstorms in upstate NY and VT moving basically east. I even clicked on the "cell direction tracker" feature, and it also showed the storms moving basically east, and would remain north of the Ossipees, up toward No. Conway. Headed out as planned. We got out there, found our favorite (secret) spot, and dropped anchor. All the way out the bay, we could see the storms over toward the Meredith end of the lake, still looking well north or northwest of the lake, and it still looked good. As I was opening the bimini, and walking forward to hook the tiedowns, I glanced at the Ossipees, and the left edge (NW end) were obscured by rain. We stared at it for a few minutes, and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. While I put the boot back on the bimini and pulled the anchor, my wife pulled out her phone and checked the radar. The line had turned more southeast, and was now bearing down on the lake. Fired up, and headed back to the dock. We got tied up and buttoned up, and as we pulled out of Parker's parking lot, the skies opened up. Thank God for being smart enough to look around, check the weather radar once again, and being smart enough to get the heck out of Dodge!!!!
Good observation!

Take it from a sailor who always has his AM radio on, and keeps his eyes on the weather:

If you're on the lake, there is probably no better assurance that you're going to get wet if the western end of the Ossipee Mountain Range is obscured by rain.