Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Modaboating

Default Chaperral vs Regal

Hi all looking for a little help I am trying to decide between a:
2016 Chaparral 257 SSX or a 2016 Regal 2500. I currently have a 22' foot Searay Sundeck and I am looking for something a little bigger. Any Thoughts?
Thank You.
Modaboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
codeman671

Simply comparing brand to brand, Regal is a bit more refined. And you will pay for it. I am a bit of a Monterey fan myself after owning 3, although am bummed that Sheps lost the line.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
8gv

I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I thought I'd offer this comment.

Last summer I bought a 2008 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck for use on the lake.

Last week I bought a 2012 Sea Ray 220 SunDeck...for use in Florida.

Last night I commented to wifey how I feel 22' is adequate for the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and Tampa Bay BUT the 24' boat is needed on Lake Wiini.

Last edited by 8gv; 02-17-2016 at 08:12 PM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
JasonG (02-17-2016), Modaboating (02-17-2016), secondcurve (02-19-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
TriDad

Default 2012 Chaparral 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modaboating View Post
2016 Chaparral 257 SSX or a 2016 Regal 2500. I currently have a 22' foot Searay Sundeck and I am looking for something a little bigger. Any Thoughts?
Thank You.
FWIW. I have a 2012 Chaparral 216 SSI and love it. It has what they call a "wide tech bow" which makes it feel and ride like a bigger boat. Nice components and layout.
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TriDad For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-22-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
tummyman

Go to the Boston Boat Show this week/weekend. There are hundreds of boats to look at and compare, all with boat show pricing. Well worth the trip. We went Monday and it was great. Cost $15 per person...kids go free under a certain age. Go on line and check prices and times of exhibit.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Modaboating

Smile Boat Show

Yes we went Saturday lot of nice boats. But looking for someone that has one of the boats that we am looking at on the lake. To see how the ride is on a busy Saturday. Thank you
Modaboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
jtill75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modaboating View Post
Thank You.
i picked up a 24 foot regal 2300 last year from silver sands. We shopped against searay, crownline, and cobalt. regal was easily the most bang for the buck. i was coming from a 19foot crownline...those 5 feet make a HUGE difference - especially with the amazing layout of the regal.

i have had no problems with build quality, electronics, etc....and while i only have a 270 dp in there - it has more than enough get up and go when i need it...seats 10-12 people comfortably ( i went with the full wrap around seating - similar to a ski boat - see below)

there is amazing amount of storage and this thing turns on a dime - better than any other bowrider i tried out...i couldn't be happier - only change i will make is eventually upgrading to the new surf package. let me know if you have any specific questions and i will be happy to address them for you.
jtill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtill75 For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-22-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Toyorelle

Default 2006 Chaparral 256 SSI

I have a 2006 Chaparral 256 SSI. We absolutely love it. It's about a '27 LOA. Handles every situation out on the lake without an issue including what seemed to be some 3 foot swells on real bad days. Since we've had it, even my parents will ride in the bow when it's choppy. They wouldn't even think of it back when we had an 18 footer. Has plenty of room for storage, the vaccu flush toilet is a bonus. Have had 13 or so people on it on busy weekends in the summer. Can't say anything bad about it over the past 10 years. Hope that helps!
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyorelle For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-22-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyorelle View Post
I have a 2006 Chaparral 256 SSI. We absolutely love it. It's about a '27 LOA. Handles every situation out on the lake without an issue including what seemed to be some 3 foot swells on real bad days. Since we've had it, even my parents will ride in the bow when it's choppy. They wouldn't even think of it back when we had an 18 footer. Has plenty of room for storage, the vaccu flush toilet is a bonus. Have had 13 or so people on it on busy weekends in the summer. Can't say anything bad about it over the past 10 years. Hope that helps!
18 footer I don't blame them. We had one for half a season and traded up, even on Winnisquam it got thrown around, couldn't imagine that boat on the big lake. The 256ssi is sweet
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-22-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
drwamcross

Default Chaparral Test Drive

As you probably know, Fay's is a Chaparall dealer located on the lake in Gilford. I bought a 235SSI cuddy cabin in 2005 from Sean and love it. At the time, I went to the boat show and the Chaparall's were displayed by Russo Marine in Medford, MA. When I went to Fay's, I got an even better price than the boat show special pricing. Fay's now also attends at the boat show and Sean is there for the duration. When he gets back, I would speak to him about a test drive on the lake for the Chaparall in which you are interested. I did that with a boat in 2005 but things may have changed.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drwamcross For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-22-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
ApS

Exclamation Capsize Practice Recommended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I thought I'd offer this comment. Last summer I bought a 2008 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck for use on the lake. Last week I bought a 2012 Sea Ray 220 SunDeck...for use in Florida. Last night I commented to wifey how I feel 22' is adequate for the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and Tampa Bay
BUT the 24' boat is needed on Lake Winni

I've boated in both communities. Yes, there are Lake Winnipesaukee wakes you can't ignore—on weekends—after about 10-AM.

Modaboating (02-25-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

After looking at both online, it looks like regardless of your choice, you will be styling on the lake!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-25-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #13
GodSmile

Default Can't go wrong

I've boated out of both Silver Sands and Fays. I've owned a Chaparral and really love the brand. Well built and with nice features. Handled winni well.
Never owned a Regal but have tried out a few and was impressed. I'd echo a visit to Fay's to test drive a Chap. Sean and Peter are both great to work with.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-25-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Rinkerguy

I have driven both Chaparrel and Regal Bow Riders

Love the step hull on the Regals, once you are on the step hull it's a different type of plane. Great on gas, and bullet proof quality
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rinkerguy For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-25-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
Leoskeys

I like my Regal, a few minor issues, but 80 hours in I'm happy. I test drove the 2500 and liked it, especially the style and Stern with the sun area. We ended up going with a bigger Regal, but I think you'll be happy.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leoskeys For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (02-25-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
John E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtill75 View Post

there is amazing amount of storage and this thing turns on a dime - better than any other bowrider i tried out...i couldn't be happier - only change i will make is eventually upgrading to the new surf package. let me know if you have any specific questions and i will be happy to address them for you.
Are you surfing behind an I/O?
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Are you surfing behind an I/O?
Unless you have one of the new "forward" drive I/O drives Regals making recently surfing behind it is absolutely stupid. One unlucky fall forward and you'll be chopped up. If you want to surf do it right, not only for the best wave but for your safety. Buy an inboard or give me a call during the summer and I'll give you a pull behind my Centurion. If you already a convertable drive for the couple grand swap it out because surfings much less tolling on the body than Wakeboarding.

I'd be a liar if I said I've never surfed behind my previous I/O but it's honestly not worth it.

http://www.boatingmag.com/wakesurfin...-forward-drive

The new forward drives are cool and I expect to see them being retrofitted for people who want to surf but don't want a surf boat.. But two things, surf boats are built to handle serious chop, are heavy and you will never get as good of a wave with out a V drive inboard..
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
fanfig77200 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #18
MalibuResponse

Default Cruisers Sport Series

Channel Marine has a great deal on a leftover 258, great boat and handles great on Winni. I believe they are also the new Centurion and Supreme Towboat dealership in the area.
MalibuResponse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MalibuResponse For This Useful Post:
Modaboating (03-08-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
8gv

Wake surfing...another thing to add to my "I'm too old for this" list.

A question:

If NH boating regs say that you must be no wake (or headway speed or whatever) if you are within 150' of a person in the water, does that include the person directly behind you for whom you are making a wake for the surfing?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:

A question:

If NH boating regs say that you must be no wake (or headway speed or whatever) if you are within 150' of a person in the water, does that include the person directly behind you for whom you are making a wake for the surfing?
Obviously not because waterskiing is OK.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Winnisquamer

Quote:

A question:

No. It would be the same as for Wakeboarding waterskiing hydrofoiling or tubing. All of which ropes are what, between like 55-85 feet in length.

And your never too old for surfing. My 60 year old dad surfs, my 68 year old neighbor also gave it one shot last year. It really is much easier on the body
Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #22
John E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Unless you have one of the new "forward" drive I/O drives Regals making recently surfing behind it is absolutely stupid. One unlucky fall forward and you'll be chopped up. If you want to surf do it right, not only for the best wave but for your safety. Buy an inboard or give me a call during the summer and I'll give you a pull behind my Centurion. If you already a convertable drive for the couple grand swap it out because surfings much less tolling on the body than Wakeboarding.

I'd be a liar if I said I've never surfed behind my previous I/O but it's honestly not worth it.

http://www.boatingmag.com/wakesurfin...-forward-drive

The new forward drives are cool and I expect to see them being retrofitted for people who want to surf but don't want a surf boat.. But two things, surf boats are built to handle serious chop, are heavy and you will never get as good of a wave with out a V drive inboard..
Thank you. I'm an inboard enthusiast and I could never imagine surfing behind an I/O. I guess I'd make exception for the forward drive, but it just doesn't seem right.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #23
jtill75

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Thank you. I'm an inboard enthusiast and I could never imagine surfing behind an I/O. I guess I'd make exception for the forward drive, but it just doesn't seem right.
i have never and would never surf behind my boat...BUT...the new forward drive version of it is built for wakesurfing. Of course you do not get as big a wake as you would on a boat that is purpose built for surfing - but i would rather have the smaller wake and the comfort of a standard bowrider...
Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
Winnisquamer

Quote:
i have never and would never surf behind my boat...BUT...the new forward drive version of it is built for wakesurfing. Of course you do not get as big a wake as you would on a boat that is purpose built for surfing - but i would rather have the smaller wake and the comfort of a standard bowrider...
Not sure on your reasoning please explain.

How does the comfort of a standard bowrider differ from surf boats? My 23' surf boat has a bow which fits 4 people? Boat total fits 14. I came from an 18' bowrider which did not even fit 11 people and this boat is 100x more comfortable than that one was. Majority probably 95% of these boats are also Bowriders. You said your self you chose the seating pattern that was like a ski boat aka like a surf boat. Arguably your seating pattern is more like a surf/ wakeboard boat than a ski boat considering ski boats are usually true inboards where the engine is in the center of the boat not the back like V Drives to reduce the size of the wake.

The size and definition of the wake is important for both surfing and Wakeboarding. If you surfed you would not want the smaller wake
Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #25
frankie_boy

To the OP: congratulations and good luck! We are currently upsizing our boat and had decided on a Crownline 270, but just Wednesday decided to go with the slightly larger 285. We also looked at the Regal 2500 but wanted something bigger. We are moving up from a 20' Crownline and have been very happy with it and decided to stick with the brand. Our local CL guys are fantastic, and have been great to work with! As an aside, they are trying VERY HARD to get us the new VP Forward Drive so we can try surfing Mostly though, we are looking forward to the extra room and better ride!

Quote:
Not sure on your reasoning please explain.

How does the comfort of a standard bowrider differ from surf boats?

Hi Winnisquamer! With all due respect, and not to pretend to read Jtill75's mind, but it is possible he is referring to ride comfort. I have never boated on Lake Winnie, but after years of lurking and reading this forum, it sounds very similar to Lake Lanier, upon which we have boated for 12 years. I can tell you that when we have been out on friends surf and wakeboard boats on busy days, I have felt like we have been beaten to bits. Just a guess...
frankie_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_boy View Post
To the OP: congratulations and good luck! We are currently upsizing our boat and had decided on a Crownline 270, but just Wednesday decided to go with the slightly larger 285. We also looked at the Regal 2500 but wanted something bigger. We are moving up from a 20' Crownline and have been very happy with it and decided to stick with the brand. Our local CL guys are fantastic, and have been great to work with! As an aside, they are trying VERY HARD to get us the new VP Forward Drive so we can try surfing Mostly though, we are looking forward to the extra room and better ride!

Hi Winnisquamer! With all due respect, and not to pretend to read Jtill75's mind, but it is possible he is referring to ride comfort. I have never boated on Lake Winnie, but after years of lurking and reading this forum, it sounds very similar to Lake Lanier, upon which we have boated for 12 years. I can tell you that when we have been out on friends surf and wakeboard boats on busy days, I have felt like we have been beaten to bits. Just a guess...

You guys need to go over to Chanel marine and test drive a Centurion or Silversands and a Mastercraft. The deep V hull will put any of these "surf and wakeboard boats rides like crap claims" to shame. I laugh at the thought a Crownline handles rough water better than a Centurion because when I purchased mine it was between a Crownline and a Centurion moving out of a 19' Bayliner which rode like crap. I only commented because Jtill said he/she wants to eventually swap their drive and get into the surf game. If you want to be in the surf game buying an I/O from the start is just not the right move. Regals, Chaperrals, and Crownline's are really nice boats yes, but I wouldn't buy one to surf, wakeboard, or waterski. Just my .02.

JTill75 when you get your surf setup going let me know. I would like to hit the water with you and try it and of course share a pull with you.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #27
jtill75

Quote:
You guys need to go over to Chanel marine and test drive a Centurion or Silversands and a Mastercraft. The deep V hull will put any of these "surf and wakeboard boats rides like crap claims" to shame. I laugh at the thought a Crownline handles rough water better than a Centurion because when I purchased mine it was between a Crownline and a Centurion moving out of a 19' Bayliner which rode like crap. I only commented because Jtill said he/she wants to eventually swap their drive and get into the surf game. If you want to be in the surf game buying an I/O from the start is just not the right move. Regals, Chaperrals, and Crownline's are really nice boats yes, but I wouldn't buy one to surf, wakeboard, or waterski. Just my .02.

JTill75 when you get your surf setup going let me know. I would like to hit the water with you and try it and of course share a pull with you.
Where are you on Winnisquam? I am at the north end...we are probably neighbors.... ( and i should probably rephrase: tru wake boats = mucho dinero. regal's boat = less dinero. ) I'm trying to find a reason not to spend so much maybe....
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #28
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Where are you on Winnisquam? I am at the north end...we are probably neighbors.... ( and i should probably rephrase: tru wake boats = mucho dinero. regal's boat = less dinero. ) I'm trying to find a reason not to spend so much maybe....

Just north of the bridge. Still pretty much neighbors! Hope to see you out there this summer!