Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Pontoon Fender/Fender Tie-up Options?

Holla! We're going to see our new tritoon today at Melvin Village, so I've been thinking about what we'll need in spring. One of the things that I got a little annoyed with the last couple years was hanging bumpers to raft/dock. What we had were basic plastic clips with a hoop that hung on the rails, and I found myself having to tie/re-tie a lot.

Suggestions on tie-up options, and even bumper options if there's a miracle I'm missing, welcome.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Lakeboater

Default Under boating

Check out this recent thread under Boating: Most convenient fender hanger for 'greenhorn' first mate
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Check out this recent thread under Boating: Most convenient fender hanger for 'greenhorn' first mate
I saw that, but the recommendations are for runabout, etc. rails, not pontoon ones.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Fender suspender/extender

Watching the video on fender suspenders makes me believe they would work in almost any situation. Many of us have fenders, mooring whips, etc pretty much permanently installed at our home slip, so no problem there. Tieing up at different docks, friends, public, etc. mostly means resetting fenders each time as posts are different sizes, water levels change and many other variables, so I reset my fenders at each instance. It sounds like you want to set your fenders before docking. For me, that makes it harder to get them at the right height and location, so I always hang them after I dock, then decide if I want two close together, horizontal, whatever. This also gives me a little time to see how the boat rides at the dock, blowing fore/aft on or off the dock and I adjust my dock lines accordingly. Nothing wrong with installing extra cleats to match places you tie frequently. I've done this on several boats to get a spring line just where I want it and easy to access.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Looked at Tidy Ups and a simpler version, both by Taylor. Ended up with the simpler mostly because the Tidy Ups looked like they might bang around if left on and would be a pain to take on and off: https://jet.com/product/detail/a9607...FYIfHwod19IMIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I saw that, but the recommendations are for runabout, etc. rails, not pontoon ones.

If you don't mind putting on something permanent, contact Bryan Dennis at http://www.ezfender.com/ Many people like his product. I have not used it....

Dan
Old 01-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If you don't mind putting on something permanent, contact Bryan Dennis at http://www.ezfender.com/ Many people like his product. I have not used it....

Dan
Dan,
I'm not confident those would clear the cover, and it's the same problem as Harris's EZ Clip system, which is that they're not movable--we need flexibility when docking and rafting with others.

Thanks, though!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #8
Knomad

We used the stock Harris fender clips on our pontoon boat. By adding a couple of extra clips to the rail, we were able to accommodate all our docking requirements. This worked better than any other attachment devices we ever had.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
We used the stock Harris fender clips on our pontoon boat. By adding a couple of extra clips to the rail, we were able to accommodate all our docking requirements. This worked better than any other attachment devices we ever had.
How many did you have on each side to work? I'm thinking it would be at least 4?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

Our Harris Pontoon came with 2 fender clips on each side. We bought 4 fenders. Usually you will only use fenders at one time, depending on which side you dock your boat. I assume you would use all 4 fenders if you dock in a slip. We absolutely love our Harris tri-toon. It handles the broads, even on the roughest days.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
Knomad

Depends on the length of your boat. Normally 2 per side will work just fine.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
How many did you have on each side to work? I'm thinking it would be at least 4?

I have owned many pontoons over the years and I have never used more than two. The only time you may want a third is if your rafting with someone. Then you will also want a fender cover. Other than that the other two will just take up space and be in the way. Get a couple G6 Polyform fenders and that's all you will need for your boat. Get a couple G10's for your home dock and you will not have to hang your G6's off your boat when you get home.

Let me know if you want some fenders. I have more than I know what to do with...

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanks, all--I have two fenders and beach my boat. What I was referring to was location--when rafting with a runabout, the fenders need to be closer to the middle than when docking. Having two fixed locations (I don't think) will help with that?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
DoTheMath

Default Better solution.

thinkxingu - just sent you a p/m. I spent a lot of time wrestling with fender "hangers" looking for a better solution. When I couldn't find one, I designed and built a system that truly is a "better mouse trap".
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
thinkxingu - just sent you a p/m. I spent a lot of time wrestling with fender "hangers" looking for a better solution. When I couldn't find one, I designed and built a system that truly is a "better mouse trap".
Thanks for the PM. I looked at your website and the videos, but I'm a bit more...price sensitive!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #16
DoTheMath

Understood. I never set out to be the cheapest product out there, just the best! However I think there is great value in the product when you consider the high-quality components, versatility and unequaled functionality they offer.
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote