Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Spark Plug Preference?

Will be changing out my spark plugs on my 2000 Johnson 90HP 2-stoke....

Does anyone have a prefernce in brand names, when it comes to spark plugs?
Champion, AC, NKG?

Also, I have been told I can purchase at NAPA, vs. marina/ boat yard.... I actually contacted a local boat yard, and they said they get their parts from NAPA.. So why would I want to pay more at a marina? Duh ! Sounds like a no-brainer...

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Two stroke

For two strokes, I pretty much stick with Champions.

Yes, you are right, the marinas buy most of their products from NAPA. The Laconia store have just about everything. The Laconia store has all the trailer parts available as well. Check it out!

The premium Belden spark plug wires have a limited lifetime warrantee, so save your receipts. My wires last about two years and they will replace them, no questions asked.
bigdog (05-14-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Rangervx

most outboards take very specific plugs...as in purpose designed plugs for that exact application. although many or most major manufacturers will cross reference, they could, in extreme circumstances, cause engine damage. you should replace the plug with exactly what came in it from the factory. if you are not sure, you could prob contact the engine manufacturer for some help. your engine serial # may be required.
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangervx View Post
most outboards take very specific plugs...as in purpose designed plugs for that exact application. although many or most major manufacturers will cross reference, they could, in extreme circumstances, cause engine damage. you should replace the plug with exactly what came in it from the factory. if you are not sure, you could prob contact the engine manufacturer for some help. your engine serial # may be required.
This advice is totally correct......Unless you are smarter than the manufacturer. There ARE exceptions........ and probably few and far between. BUT... that should be left up to the Experts. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote