Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
pjard

Default Bizer vs Duncan Press

OK...so I know this has been discussed a zillion times on the board but I had to chime in. I've been using both the Bizer and Duncan Press laminated charts this year. I have to say that Bizer wins hands down. The Duncan Press is terrible for depths and has MANY errors especially when it comes to the supposed "Marine Patrol Approved Routes". Many of them actually go onto and through land masses. I'm sorry to anyone who works at or sells the Duncan Press chart but it's in need of improvement.

Last edited by pjard; 07-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Rich

Yes, I hate to say it, but I purchased the latest (this year's) Duncan press chart, hoping it would be better and act as a good backup/alternate to the Bizer chart, but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

You can see my review (and other's comments) here: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17149

I will add that this year I updated my Navionics chart chip for my Raymarine GPS chart plotter. I found an update chip available online for about $85. This is there new 'Update+' version which allows you to update it as much as you like for one year. It also allows you to put as many charts on your chip that will fit. At 2 GB, that chip can hold the whole East coast. I was impressed in that their new update includes what looks like every dock on the lake, in addition to the updated navigation info.

It has depth contours every 1 foot, and if others on the lake with modern equipment send their depth soundings back to Navionics (it's very easy to do), the chart will be improved and grow in accuracy as users upload their readings. So consider this a PLEA to have boaters on the lake with Navionics charts and compatible chart plotters to get this update and send their depth readings Navionics.

Note: I will add that Bizer doesn't make compatible data for the Raymarine chart plotters. But I do have a Bizer chip for a 2 year old Garmin GPS chart plotter.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

My new Duncan map blew out of the boat in the broads a couple days ago. I don't miss it...

I'll say it again...For the life of me I simply don't know why Duncan didn't keep the exact format as their "old green chart" and simply update it... They HAD a winner and ruined it!

Dan
Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
My new Duncan map blew out of the boat in the broads a couple days ago. I don't miss it...

I'll say it again...For the life of me I simply don't know why Duncan didn't keep the exact format as their "old green chart" and simply update it... They HAD a winner and ruined it!

Dan
I still have an ancient laminated one of those on my boat. It's excellent.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I still have an ancient laminated one of those on my boat. It's excellent.
It seems like there was no collaboration with anybody in the boating community before they published this chart. Didn't somebody point out that it was indicated that it was not to be used for navigation?
Previously, I thought it was a tossup ans to which chart I used, Bizer or Duncan, but with the latest revision, there is only one I'd consider.
Why did they do that?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
pjard

So I'm certainly not alone...I thought I was being picky.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
JasonG

I am a fan of the Bizer charts. And not just because I print them on performance t-shirts!
(Yes, with their permission)

You can get these locally in the region, but I am not sure if posting a specific place like that violates the rules for the forum.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Fast Algae

Kinda like the lining of a WW2 aviators jacket.
Fast Algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
GodSmile

Default Love the Bizer chart and GPS chip

I have both the chart and chip for the Garmin GPS.... I find both to be very accurate and helpful.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Guess I'm one of the few that prefer the old green map. In fact I have a bunch of them dating back to 2000. I was disappointed when Duncan released the "split map" but now I see they are back to putting it all on one page with their latest edition for 2014.

Bizer maps are just way to busy to look at, I prefer a simple and clean without information overload. Plus how can you beat either a black or a red dot to depict a marker? Guess I'm to simple minded.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Island-Ho

Default New map is a mistake

If you like the green map stick with your old one. The 2014 version has way too many errors on it. they must have a new editor that has never seen the lake.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote