Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
dpg

Default FirePlace Grate Heater

Have one of the Fire Place Grate heaters, the Grate made of tubes with a blower attached which circulates and blows warm air into the room. The fan on the blower doesn't work anymore is there a local store (to Moultonborough) that sells those parts/accessories and may have a fix? Looking on line the whole new setup ranges from 400.00 - 700.00+ I just like a physical store for things like this I can go in to see and feel what I'm buying. The Grate (tubes) itself is in alright shape maybe they can replace the motor??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rebuild

I had to replace a blower motor once on a fireplace insert. I brought the motor to a starter motor/alternator rebuilder in Manchester off Webster Street. He rebuilt the motor and it been running for 10 years. Longer than the stock motor. I am not sure he is still there but google Webster st generator repair or similar.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
dpg

Thanks Broadhopper that's a thought, also going to try a fire place/stove shop around home when I can get there. Most people these days have inserts I don't believe these Grates are very common. Motor is probably pretty much the same thing though.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

If it's one of those long tubular fans, I pulled one out of a junk copier and it's been running 15 years.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
wynndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Have one of the Fire Place Grate heaters, the Grate made of tubes with a blower attached which circulates and blows warm air into the room. The fan on the blower doesn't work anymore is there a local store (to Moultonborough) that sells those parts/accessories and may have a fix? Looking on line the whole new setup ranges from 400.00 - 700.00+ I just like a physical store for things like this I can go in to see and feel what I'm buying. The Grate (tubes) itself is in alright shape maybe they can replace the motor??
Fireplaces waste wood. Do yourself a favor if you're going to heat for 5 or more years. Get a woodstove and flue it up the chimney. 2nd best, a wood stove insert, or last a propane freestanding stove & flue it up the chimney. You can go to a stove store and have a pro install a liner & stove for 3k like I did. Then you have no worries. I also had a free standing propane stove at the other end of house w/ a thermostat on the wall. Inserts ;you also have to let the fire go out every 3 days to clean out the ashes cuz they have no ash drop box.That & spring & fall is when the propane works great.
Wynn
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Marauder

Quote:
We used an old computer fan! Worked great!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
dpg

Thanks all good ideas I'll just be a little more persistant and maybe look to buy a replacement motor on line. I'd love an insert just not looking to spend the $ right now so the blower setup is the next best thing as it does move a lot more heat than just a fireplace alone.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I had to replace a blower motor once on a fireplace insert. I brought the motor to a starter motor/alternator rebuilder in Manchester off Webster Street. He rebuilt the motor and it been running for 10 years. Longer than the stock motor. I am not sure he is still there but google Webster st generator repair or similar.
Kinne Electric.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Thanks all good ideas I'll just be a little more persistant and maybe look to buy a replacement motor on line. I'd love an insert just not looking to spend the $ right now so the blower setup is the next best thing as it does move a lot more heat than just a fireplace alone.
I buy almost all my motors for my manufacturing plant from Grainger. Check the online catalog. There is also a branch in Manchester.
http://www.grainger.com/category/motors/ecatalog/N-bii
Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I buy almost all my motors for my manufacturing plant from Grainger. Check the online catalog. There is also a branch in Manchester.
http://www.grainger.com/category/motors/ecatalog/N-bii
Thanks if I'm up this weekend I'll try to get at the fan and see if there's a part number on it. I know Grainger sells just about everything.