Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Pricestavern

Default Selective MPs

Took a cruise this past Saturday afternoon in my 20 footer and while going thru the Graveyard heading northbound, I had at least 5 larger boats roaring past me heading south, throwing up huge wakes and knocking me all about. I was running at about 8 mph to cut thru the waves and get the heck out of there. When I got out on the north side an MP who was sitting there hailed me,pulled me over, and dressed me down for going faster than no-wake speed! Granted I was going a little faster but holy cow! When I finally was free and headed on my way, he continued to loiter about the north end of the Graveyard.

Later in the afternoon, while having lunch at the Lyons Den I repeated my story and heard that many people were saying they had similar experiences.

Don't mean to whine but it really got to me that these far more dangerous boats were left to go as they will and I, seemingly the 'easy' target, got pulled over. Was this an isolated event and I was the unfortunate observer?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Pricestavern
Took a cruise this past Saturday afternoon in my 20 footer and while going thru the Graveyard heading northbound, I had at least 5 larger boats roaring past me heading south, throwing up huge wakes and knocking me all about. I was running at about 8 mph to cut thru the waves and get the heck out of there.
Did you just get a "dressing down" or did you get a ticket? As I read the definition of "headway speed" in NH you did not violate the headway speed rule since you had to exceed 6mph to maintain steerage because of the wakes of other boats.
Quote:
RSA 270-D:1 VI. "Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.
So I think you're correct in your assessment that you were pulled over because it was easier than pulling over a larger boat (also a large boat rightly or wrongly implies the owner is wealthy and perhaps has more clout than someone in a 20 footer)

And since some will probably accuse me of being anti-NHMP for posting the above comments anyway, do the bow numbers of your boat start with an NH or an NY?

Last edited by Airwaves; 08-18-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: out of state boater?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
lfm

Default probably just an 'easy target'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
When I got out on the north side an MP who was sitting there hailed me,pulled me over, and dressed me down for going faster than no-wake speed! Granted I was going a little faster but holy cow! When I finally was free and headed on my way, he continued to loiter about the north end of the Graveyard.

Don't mean to whine but it really got to me that these far more dangerous boats were left to go as they will and I, seemingly the 'easy' target, got pulled over. Was this an isolated event and I was the unfortunate observer?
If you just got a warning - then perhaps it was that you were an easy target, since you were headed to the north side where he was. It may be that he didn't think it was worth the effort or risk; chasing down the boats going away from him through the graveyard.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote