Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
salty dog

Smile Boat ramp with dock beside it

Hello: I'm new to the forum (from the Beverly MA area)
My wife and I boat all around the Salem and Cape Ann
area but are planning to go to Lake Winni next month (when it's not so busy) I was hoping one of you members might know of a launch site at the southern end of the lake (AltonBay Or maybe Wolfboro) that has a dock right beside the ramp. This is much easier for my wife and me to put in and slide over to the dock to load and go. Thanks much for any info and we plan to have a safe fun time on the lake.
salty dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
rrr

Salty Dog-

The ramp at the Wolfeboro town docks or the Libby Museum (on the Wolfeboro/Tuftonboro town line) will probably do the trick.

Enjoy your visit - it's beautiful here in September!
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
sa meredith

Default careful

First time out on the lake???
Have a chart or GPS. Look the chart over good, before and during. Seemingly open water turns to rocks QUICKLY on Winni.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Irrigation Guy

Default Alton Bay has one

The ramp in Alton Bay has the town docks next door to it.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Wolfeboro_Baja

For a $20 fee, Ames Farm Inn on Rt 11 in Alton (not Alton Bay), across from Diamond Isl., has 2 ramps with a dock between them and parking space for your tow vehicle & trailer on the premises. That's my regular launch site for my 25 footer. They're about 9 miles (about 15 min drive) from the public docks in Alton Bay up Rt 11.

Also, like sa meredith said, make sure you have a current chart and make sure you use it!!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
ossipeeboater

when I put my 24 footer I use Ames farm if coming from down south, worth the $ super easy launch ramp to use.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
For a $20 fee, Ames Farm Inn on Rt 11 in Alton...
The Farm is in Gilford, just before the West Alton line.

Well, I just ran into the 300 second waiting period before submitting another post, so I'll also mention that the launch in Wolfeboro can be very intimidating and difficult. On weekends, you often have an audience and lots of parked vehicles to deal with. If you're not fully confident of your abilities to back into a ramp in possibly tight conditions, you probably want to skip it.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
salty dog

Smile Thanks for the info and tips

Appreciate your feedback and tips. Ames Farm sounds like a good bet, and looks to be a good spot to see more of the lake from. I just sent for and received the latest BiZer lake chart and plan to use it. Thanks to all
salty dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
NBR

Default Nav Aides

It is not red right return on NH inland waters. It is black stay N and E and red stay S and W.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
DTBC

I'm from Beverly also Salty Dog. Go up to the lake often. We use Downings landing right at the end of Alton Bay across from the town docks. We were up there Thursday, it is $20.00 to launch and you can park right there, trailer and tow vehicle. The public launch ramp in Alton is free, but you need to park your trailer about 1/2 mile away, unhitch and drive back to the docks to park. Thurday was beautiful and there was maybe only 4 boats launched there for the day. When launching, stay to the left side of the ramp when looking at the ramp from land. Like I said we live in Beverly also and it takes 1hr and 45 mins to get to the lake. It's a real nice ride out of Alton Bay and back when returning to the ramp.Enjoy the lake from where ever you may launch.
DTBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
sgold44

Default Safety Certificate

Make sure you get a NH Safety Certificate before you launch. You can get a temporary. Check out this link. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...ged/index.html
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Dave R

'Nuther vote for Downings. Much closer than Ames Farm if you are coming from route 16. I like to get on the water quickly.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
......that the launch in Wolfeboro can be very intimidating and difficult. On weekends, you often have an audience and lots of parked vehicles to deal with. If you're not fully confident of your abilities to back into a ramp in possibly tight conditions, you probably want to skip it.
I use Wolfeboro, and agree - it can be a bit unnerving, because people like to watch, some even like to offer free advice , and some just keep walking right in your way as if you're not even there!

It's the most convenient for me, but if I need to launch while something is going on at Cate Park (e.g., craft fair, etc.), I sometimes will go down to Libby Museum.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote