Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Boat towing insurance

I recently purchased Boat USA towing etc insurance. I had a situation yesterday where my starter which was on the blink gave out on me. I had a appointment to drop the boat off at Marina yesterday to replace the starter and coincidentaly the boat would not start. I was hoping I had 1 last start just to get it to the marina. No such luck. I could not get the starter to engage. I called Boat USA to tow the boat over as it would not start. FYI if you need a tow make sure you do not tell them you are at your dock and need a tow elsewhere. Tell them your drifting or anchored and waiting for them. Then depending on your coverage its covered. I bought the super dupper tow package. I thought I would be covered. When I called yesterday to come tow me they said they do not pay 100% of the tow if you are at home and need a tow to a local marina. They would pay 50%. I was a bit disappointed and grabbed a nice neighbor to give me a tow over.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Dave R

[QUOTE=Old Hubbard Rd;77492] I had a appointment to drop the boat off at Marina yesterday to replace the starter and coincidentaly the boat would not start. I was hoping I had 1 last start just to get it to the marina. No such luck. I could not get the starter to engage. QUOTE]

Is it one of those gear reduction starters? They have a plastic ring gear. Seems like a really weak design.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
AC2717

Default Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I recently purchased Boat USA towing etc insurance. I had a situation yesterday where my starter which was on the blink gave out on me. I had a appointment to drop the boat off at Marina yesterday to replace the starter and coincidentaly the boat would not start. I was hoping I had 1 last start just to get it to the marina. No such luck. I could not get the starter to engage. I called Boat USA to tow the boat over as it would not start. FYI if you need a tow make sure you do not tell them you are at your dock and need a tow elsewhere. Tell them your drifting or anchored and waiting for them. Then depending on your coverage its covered. I bought the super dupper tow package. I thought I would be covered. When I called yesterday to come tow me they said they do not pay 100% of the tow if you are at home and need a tow to a local marina. They would pay 50%. I was a bit disappointed and grabbed a nice neighbor to give me a tow over.
I have a situation last week. I have Traveler's. I spun a prop and much more, limped into my dock. Called Sea Tow they came out first thing in the morning (I do not have Sea Tow) It is great now that they have a base in the Weirs Channel as I am in Paugus Bay. I went Dock to Marina Dock he wrot eit on the slip and I sent it in To travelers, They check from them is in the mail. It is safe to assume if you had a problem on the water and were able to get to "Any port in the Storm" they should cover you no matter what. Who's to say you were on the right dock or you dock, but you got to the dock to be safe.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Starter issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I have a situation last week. I have Traveler's. I spun a prop and much more, limped into my dock. Called Sea Tow they came out first thing in the morning (I do not have Sea Tow) It is great now that they have a base in the Weirs Channel as I am in Paugus Bay. I went Dock to Marina Dock he wrot eit on the slip and I sent it in To travelers, They check from them is in the mail. It is safe to assume if you had a problem on the water and were able to get to "Any port in the Storm" they should cover you no matter what. Who's to say you were on the right dock or you dock, but you got to the dock to be safe.
I learned. That's why I letting you all know how it works.

The starter has never been replaced and the boat is 20 years old.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Metlife

My boat insurance covers towing up to $250. I had a tow in the beginning of July and sent a copy of the tow charges in. I got a check in the mail.

If you are a BoatUS member the membership includes $50 toward a tow. Plus discounts at West Marine.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Boat USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
My boat insurance covers towing up to $250. I had a tow in the beginning of July and sent a copy of the tow charges in. I got a check in the mail.

If you are a BoatUS member the membership includes $50 toward a tow. Plus discounts at West Marine.
They told me their policy was to pay 50% of a dock to Marina tow. They claim that people with aging boats would be using the tow services for reasons similar to what I was calling about which would take resources away from more nessasary situations. Another words they said you truely must be adrift or at any other dock than your own to be eligible.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
They told me their policy was to pay 50% of a dock to Marina tow. They claim that people with aging boats would be using the tow services for reasons similar to what I was calling about which would take resources away from more nessasary situations. Another words they said you truely must be adrift or at any other dock than your own to be eligible.
What a crap excuse, ask to see it in your policy where is says that, if so I woudl get a new carrier, if not then talk to a manager. You pay a higher rate of insurance already because the boat is older, just like a car in some cases. Yo knwo where is cost you $800 for the year to insure that 1988 Olds Cutlass Surpreme with t-tops. Worth something to the owner but not to the insurance company

Good Luck! - let us know how it goes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Funny, I found out the same thing yesterday too. My wakeboard boat croaked at my dock (fuel problem) and I had to get it towed to Glendale. A $62.50 bill for my 50%.

The tow boat driver told me in the future to call him directly and not book through the 800 number. He does not charge the 50% to you, 100% gets billed to Boat/US.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Having been a previous Travelers customer, let me give you some words of advice. Get a seperate towing policy from Boat US or Sea Tow.

You have just submitted a claim. One or two more claims over a season or two and they may cancel you. Happened to me.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Funny, I found out the same thing yesterday too. My wakeboard boat croaked at my dock (fuel problem) and I had to get it towed to Glendale. A $62.50 bill for my 50%.

The tow boat driver told me in the future to call him directly and not book through the 800 number. He does not charge the 50% to you, 100% gets billed to Boat/US.
He wouldn't have happened to give you a telephone number to call would he???
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
Misty Blue

Default Telephone #

293-2300 is the local number for Boat/ US.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Seeker

Just curious. If you have to pay how do they figure the charges - per hour or per mile? I would guess hourly.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Hourly.

Seatow charge me by the hour. From the time he step on the tow boat to the time he leaves you at your destination. Then a gas surcharge on top of that.