Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
White Rook
Deceased Member

Post Boat Insurance

Hello Fellow Boaters,

My boat insurance is coming up for renewal soon and the cost has gone up again. I've been with a company for 15 years and since I've never had a claim, I can't speak of their service. I'm looking to get comparative quotes from other reputable companies. In addition, my boat is a 1986 model and I don't want to have to pay for a survey.

Progressive Insurance has offered me an attractive quote and when I had a total loss claim with my motorcycle in may 2006, their service was excellent from beginning to end. Does anyone have an insurance carrier and agent that they can recommend? Although cost is important, it must be balanced with a reliable company. Thank you for your attention.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
AC2717

Default Insurance Carrier

I recommend Traveler's Insurance. Just head to their website and you can find a local agent in your area. Being in the business I constantly check rates every year and compare service. Their policy is highly competitive when it comes to coverage selection and options.

www.travelers.com
then just find a agent. I in no way work for traveler's actually I work for one of their direct competitors that does not offer Boat insurance in NH.

Good luck
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
VtSteve

I'd reccomend Boat US, but an '86 without a survey would be hard. I don't know what you're looking at for coverage, but if you have stated value, might want to think twice before switching.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
AC2717

Default Another thing to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
Hello Fellow Boaters,

My boat insurance is coming up for renewal soon and the cost has gone up again. I've been with a company for 15 years and since I've never had a claim, I can't speak of their service. I'm looking to get comparative quotes from other reputable companies. In addition, my boat is a 1986 model and I don't want to have to pay for a survey.

Progressive Insurance has offered me an attractive quote and when I had a total loss claim with my motorcycle in may 2006, their service was excellent from beginning to end. Does anyone have an insurance carrier and agent that they can recommend? Although cost is important, it must be balanced with a reliable company. Thank you for your attention.
My boat is a 1988 and I did not have to have a survey done, and the larger companies, if needed, will have a survey done, with no cost to you. Also had a stated value that I used from the bill of sale
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
codeman671

Boat/Us does not require surveys on their policies. Unless you have a specialty boat or are trying to insure for a seemingly crazy amount most companies don't require one. I have insured dozens of different boats over the last 15+ years and have NEVER been asked for one. Yep, dozens. Many people have their addictions be it drugs, alcohol, gambling, women, etc. Mine is boats

Try www.quotemyboat.com, Global Marine Insurance, usually underwritten by Markell. I find them to be good on larger boards but not as good as Boat/US on smaller boats.

If you end up needing a survey I can point you in the right direction of who to call.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We have a rather dated 1976 um well, a Slickcraft SS235 in case you did not guess. Insurance is through Acadia. They do ask for a recent photo now and then (is it still afloat??) And Jeff Fay did have to attest to the fine condition he keeps it in. But they do insure it and at a reasonable rate.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Hello Fellow Boaters,

I use Progressive- full coverage, max liability and towing.... $247 for our old sled. We do have real good driving records and credit which does or can effect rates.

I have a claim going right now (fishing line took out the prop seal draining the oil, frying the drive). I don't know if I will be successful (it will depend on how sudden the oil loss was) but the claims process has been excellent so far and my success or failure will not alter my opinion about them.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Kamper

If all you want is liability coverage, see about adding it to your home-owners policy. 25HP and under is free but I'm sure your are already past that. Mine is 40hp on a '83 15' run-about and I pay about $45 a year.

Your cost will probably vary but asking is free. Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
JonLevis

I just renewed my policy through Progressive...$110 for my 1979 31-foot Chris. No claims yet...like to keep it that way! The policy looks good, though.
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Seeker

I have 2 boats insured thru Travelers and they will reduce value as boat gets older in many cases. There are many boats that "appreciate" with age - my old Bertram 31 being one of them as I sold it for twice what I paid. I would try for a real marine policy that replaces "new for old" and has a latent defect clause. These are probably next to impossible for a small outboard vessel like I have now but it doesn't hurt to search around.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up MetLife

I have homeowners, snowmobile and auto. They gave me a multi policy discount as well as a company discount. I tell them I work for BAE and they gave it to me. Pretty slick!
I just changed from a 1986 4-Winns to a 1988 Formula and the premium is actually cheaper on the new boat!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Boat Insurance UPDATE

Quote:
Hello Fellow Boaters,

UPDATE

Hello All,

Thank you for your responses. I called Progressive and they won't issue a policy with boat physical damage for a boat older than 15 years old. Boat US quote came back with a little bit more coverage than my present policy such as towing but the Actual Cash Value (ACV) is half of what I presently have.

In addition, the Boat US policy is twenty dollars higher than what I'm presently paying through State Farm. Since I've had the same policy with the boat and trailer since 1993, I'll probably just renew unless I find a better company between now and August 15th.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
AC2717

Default Seekr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I have 2 boats insured thru Travelers and they will reduce value as boat gets older in many cases. There are many boats that "appreciate" with age - my old Bertram 31 being one of them as I sold it for twice what I paid. I would try for a real marine policy that replaces "new for old" and has a latent defect clause. These are probably next to impossible for a small outboard vessel like I have now but it doesn't hurt to search around.
Ask your agent to do a stated value, that is what I have. The value stays the same every year unless you drop it or if you request a higher limit after a year they might do some research on it. It is sort of like a "guaranteed replacement cost for your car." I have $8,000 on mine with a $100 deductible with 100,000/300,000 liability, with coverage for up to $500 in personal property in the boat with no deductible. I am paying $268
Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Audiofn

Read the policy VERY close. Make sure that you have Salvage insurace. There are a LOT of stories going around how Boat US and even worse Sea Tow are laying salvage right claims on peoples boats when they just grounded them and so on. Now most of these problems seem to be in Florida. Just be aware of what you are getting when you see the lower price so that you can make sure that you are covered for everything that you think you are.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
sea_n_ski

Default Try US Boat

I just switched to US Boat (www.usboat.com) and saved 60% over my Allstate package. we have 2 boats and a PWC, which was a ton. Plus they give a bunch of member benefits like discounts at West Marine and TowBoat US.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
Read the policy VERY close. Make sure that you have Salvage insurace. There are a LOT of stories going around how Boat US and even worse Sea Tow are laying salvage right claims on peoples boats when they just grounded them and so on. Now most of these problems seem to be in Florida. Just be aware of what you are getting when you see the lower price so that you can make sure that you are covered for everything that you think you are.
I don't think you can claim salvage rights to boats on non-navigable waters. I might be mistaken, but I doubt this is an issue on Winnipesaukee.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default salvage insurance

SeaTow will claim your boat for salvage even on Winnipesaukee. I was informed when I had a tow two weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
SeaTow will claim your boat for salvage even on Winnipesaukee. I was informed when I had a tow two weeks ago.
Considering the general conditions of Winnipesaukee, I wouldn't personally be overly worried about salvage claims and rights. You can eliminate 99% of your risk by just knowing enough to negotiate a fixed or maximum price (including possibly $0.00) for anyone offering to render any sort of assistance to you (whether it be an individual or business/franchise of some sort).

The roots of the federal maritime salvage law are based on the idea of encouraging a professional or "ad-hoc" salvor to exhibit a level of risk that they would not ordinary take on. A routing towing operation on any inland lake in NH would NOT qualify as a salvage operation, and I would argue with the SeaTow "captain" on the lake who would think he could support an argument for a salvage claim.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I don't think you can claim salvage rights to boats on non-navigable waters. ...
If you have a boat on it that's what makes it "navigable waters."
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
If you have a boat on it that's what makes it "navigable waters."
navigable waters - Under early maritime law, the term navigable water was restricted to waters affected by the tides. Under current interpretation, navigable waters include interstate or international waters that can be used for commercial transportation. To be allowed the protections of the Jones Act, a seaman must be assigned to a vessel in navigation on a navigable waterway. Lakes that are wholly intrastate but are connected to interstate or international waters by navigable canals, streams or rivers may be considered navigable waters for the purposes of the Jones Act.

Or stated differently, lakes that are wholly intrastate with no interstate connections are not considered navigable waters. This is of course based on the 33 CFR 329 definition of navigable waters in a more legal sense.

A ride on the Mount is not "commercial transportation".

By strict definition your viewpoint could be considered correct. In terms of maritime law, where salvage rights would come into play, Winnipesaukee is not a "navigable waterway".
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #21
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
navigable waters - ... the Jones Act.

Or stated differently, lakes that are wholly intrastate with no interstate connections are not considered navigable waters. ...
The Jones Act? That's a new one to me. I glad Congress put a defintion to that term because all I had ever heard was reflected in my previous statement.

Thanks!