Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
SBC

Default Women in Powerboating

In my travels to boat shows and events around the state this year I have talked with more than a few women who are interested in some sort of instruction in power boat navigation. For one reason or another they are not getting what they need in this area of interest from their families or local clubs (i.e. yacht). They want to know more about docking and the basic mechanics of navigation to increase their comfort level on the water.

I would appreciate any information on (professional) instructors or clubs in the state that may offer this type of service. I have talked with a few women in the Lakes region but also some from the southwest part of the state (Sunapee).
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Woodsy

SBC...

Check out this link...

http://www.jpboating.com/

Janis is great! Very friendly & personable! She has written a few published articles on boater safety and has her 50 Ton USCG Master License.

Tell her Woodsy sent you!

Woodsy
Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
KBoater

Default Power Squadron

We started a Mates course at my FL club. The power squadron ran it. I don;'t think it covered enough information. However the power squadron is not a male only club( the Head here is female) and I suggest that she go to a regular course that they offer.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Ladies Course

I know some time ago Scott Trexler at Trexler’s Marina was offering basic boating skills to Ladies on Sunday mornings.

They are located on Moultonboro Neck Road (Moultonboro) just before you get to the Long Island Bridge.

Phone: 603-253-7315
Web: www.trexlers.com

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Bubba

Default Friction sometimes is the problem

Try getting them in a boater safety course to start with. I "made" (if it is possible) for my "significant other" learn while we were out on the water. I would ask her which way to go at bouys and spars. I tried to talk to her about what I was doing. I wanted her to be comfortable out on the water even though she wasn't at the helm. Sometimes the discussions were better received than others. Then I set her up for the safe boater education class. I debated going with her for support and decided against so she could ask her own questions.

When she came home after the first class, she was very excited. When the MP officer discussed issues, she knew what he was talking about and felt good in the course. Needless to say she passed her test with flying colors. She was full of ... glee, I guess is the best word. She is very excited to get out on the water and use what she knows, and with more confidence.

I may not be at the helm much this year.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Misty Blue

Default USCG Auxiliary boating course

SBC

Janice does a great job I encourage you to give her a call. She if a true professional.

I will mention that the Lakes Region Detachment of the CG Auxiliary offers free boating classes (you pay a modest sum for the materials) here on the Lake. It's NASBLA approved and a lot of FUN!

Our last class was so well accepted that my phone has been ringing to give another one which is scheduled for May 22 and 24 in Moultonborough in our new Life Services building, thanks for the taxes folks!

If you can get a few ladies together, ten would be awsome, we'll find a classroom and put on the class. It's low pressure, fun and you will walk away satisfied with what you have learned. If you want to get into navigation (costal) we do that to.

At the end of the class the BOAT/US foundation will supply boats and captains for on the water training. This will include but not be limited to safety checks prior to getting underway, lake navigation, docking and undocking, anchoring, fueling procedures. communications and emergencies. It will be a blast, you will learn a lot and the foundation picks up the tab for the whole thing. Cool deal!

If you are interested, give me a PP and we'll set it up.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Airwaves

Misty Blue
Glad to hear the CGAux has a flotilla in the Lakes Region!

Years ago when I was DSO/PA and later a flotilla commander I tried to get interest in expanding CGAux presence to Winni, I held some VE Days etc. but while boaters were receptive I had a difficult time getting members, who were usually in the OPs program, to drive up to conduct the VEs on weekends so I had to give it up.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Misty Blue

Default USCG Aux.

AIRWAVES

Let's not take up valuable space here. Do me a PP. We might have something going!

Misty Blue, FSO-CM 26-1NR.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Women in Boating

I agree, Janice Powell is a great captain, and also a member of the US Power Squadron. Anyone interested in taking a safe boating course, contact me, and I'll find out the schedule. Also, once again, we will be providing free safety vehicle inspections around the lake this summer (actually, around many of the lakes!!)
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Airwaves

Everyone should have a US Coast Guard Auxiliary or US Power Squadron qualified member go over your boat every year!

The program is to inform you of problems or potential problems that might be an issue on your boat. Both the USCGAux and USPS conduct the same examination.

Nothing is reported to any agency! We only inform you!

As a matter of fact if a law enforcement agent (MP, USCG, Etc.) shows up or is even in the vicinity of the examination we are required to suspend operations! Why? Because the examination of your vessel and the results are confidential! They are NEVER to be used to "trap" boaters that don't get a sticker!

Many times I have been asked, "Does the sticker mean we won't be stopped by the Coast Guard (or Marine Patrol)"? NO! It does not mean that you won't be stopped and boarded!

It does give the boarding officer a heads up that your boat's safety equipment has been gone over by a qualified person and that it has passed.

I encourage everyone to contact either USCGAux via Misty Blue or the USPS at Winni (maybe Donnamatrix can help with that?) you might be surprised!

Last edited by Airwaves; 04-20-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote