Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
glennsteely

Default It is a great sound....

All I can do is watch On Golden Pond now.....and believe me, I do, at least 1 time a week.....
Old 11-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
Lady Di

Default Oh Glenn

Do you really watch it once a week? I can only handle it about once a year....then I am a soggy wreck.

It's not enough that I am away, (which, by the way, was as much my choice as not), but that was the summer I was getting divorced, living in Gilford. There was a casting call for extras, and I almost went, but wasn't quite up to it.

I even cry when I hear the music. There has NEVER, in my opinion anyway, been a sound track that so PERFECTLY fit the story.

The day here today in Central Florida is like the most perfect Fall day up there. Just like most of the time when I was there in late August, just like the day of the Forum get-together.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
Rinkerfam

I too enjoy "On Golden Pond" on an anual basis. I agree that the soundtrack is one of the best of all times. My wife and I took a boat tour on Squam Lake several years back that took us by the cottage where the film was shot. The tour also brought us to Purgatory Cove and to the fuel dock where Norman Thayer had his little run in with the local youth.
Good Times!!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
glennsteely

Smile Yes I do watch it every chance I get.......

I had it on video and 2 or 3 years ago my mother in law found it on dvd for me for Christmas. I love the movie, when it came out my Grandmother and I went to see it in the movies. The movie is a little closer to my heart than most people I guess. We had a cottage in Meredith bay that my Great Grandparents had built, it was passed to my Grandparents who in turn passed it on to my Parents, who sold in divorce a few years ago. I spent my every summer of childhood at the lake. With my Grandparents, who were a lot like Norman and Ethelberry, and I in my pre-teen and teen years was the same rebel kid character as the movie portrays....... dont get me wrong, I wasnt dumped there......I couldnt wait to get up to the lake for the whole summer.....my parents would come up for a week here and a week there, but they had to work and it would be just me and Pop Pop riding in the boat, or me and Mom Mom picking strawberries and blueberries, laying in the yard reading books, getting up at dawn to fish, swim........Yes, it is one of the tools I use on a weekly basis to keep the lake close to my heart and mind. Oh yea, it is a great soundtrack. There is only one thing I dont like about the movie, When the boy gets to take the boat out, and starts going in circles, you can see the shadow from the helicopter that is doing the filming......I guess that is my way of seeing that film is not perfect.....only the lake is......GS
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Rinkerfam

glennsteely,

have you checked out the special features of the dvd? There are interviews with the author of the play/playwright, the director and a handful of castmembers. It is really worth a look. One other thing. In the scene where Billy-Ray takes the Thayer IV out for a cruise, look closely and you'll not only see the shadow of the filming hellicopter, but you'll see Rattlesnake Island in the background. The films producers took advantage of Winnipesaukees size to film parts of that scene.

Enjoy
Old 11-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam
...you'll see Rattlesnake Island in the background. The films producers took advantage of Winnipesaukees size to film parts of that scene.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #7
glennsteely

Default I had a feeling....

You know, I thought some of the film was taken on Winnipesaukee, something about it was too familiar......I never noticed Rattlesnake though......Thank you for pointing that out, I cant wait to tell my Dad, He swears it is all Big Squam. I can see it clear as day. Yes, I have checked out the special features somewhat, is it mentioned that some of it is filmed on Winnipesaukee ?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
PROPELLER

Default Did you know...

Although On Golden Pond was filmed on Squam & Winni, the story was supposed to take place on the Belgrade Lakes of Maine. I read that in an issue of Yankee Magazine.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
HUH

Default Ogp

Growing up , my dad had that exact boat.. When they were filming OGP they came and looked at it as it was for sale .. They offered 3000 as it was in disrepair ..My dad refused the offer and sold it years later for 300..
Ya that sure looks like a shot down the broads at rattlesnake to me .. Whats that small island? Looks familiar
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #10
HUH

Default Mahogany

1948 Chris Craft 22 Utility ..
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #11
Joe G

Default Loons

Loons migrate to the coast and spend their winters there. You can see them in relatively large numbers off the coast of ma,nh, me
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Question One of the Varney Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH
Ya that sure looks like a shot down the broads at rattlesnake to me .. Whats that small island? Looks familiar
I'm not sure but in the 2'nd picture I think you're looking at one of the Varney Islands in the foreground with Barndoor I in the background right and the point past Clay Pt in the background left. However if I'm correct then I'd expect to see some markers just about where the boat is in the picture so I dunno ........... Anyone else know ?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #13
Lady Di

Default Oh what interesting reading, all.

Now I will have to get the DVD for the extra features.

Thanks.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #14
Cal

After reading all this about OGP , I have to see it again , it's been a while. It never ceases to amaze me how much younger Jane Fonda looks everytime I watch it Or is it just me getting older

OGP...One of the all time classics
Old 11-10-2004, 09:21 PM   #15
Rinkerfam

Propeller,
I am pretty sure you're right about the story originally taking place in Maine. It was Kate Hepburn who convinced the producers to shoot in NH as opposed to Maine because of the folliage advantage. She was quoted as saying something like "You can't shoot it in Maine....the leaves don't turn orange in Maine. You have to shoot it in New Hampshah".
Old 11-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #16
Rinkerfam

Default Another interesting tidbit....

Does anyone remember a show called "Newhart"? This particular Bob Newhart show featured the actor as an inn-keeper/how-to writer named Dick Louden. His inn was Called the Stratford and was supposedly located somewhere in Vermont. Anyway, enough background The shows opening credits featured footage that was left over from the opening footage from On Golden Pond. It's the same brown Olds. Delta 88 cruising along some beautiful NH roads. There's even a shot that shows the car as it goes through the town of Center Sandwich (the sign is impossible to read, but that's where it is). Call me a stickler for detail, but I have always wondered if anyone else picked up on this.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #17
glennsteely

Default I made Him a believer.....

After work yesterday, I rushed to my Dads with copy of dvd in hand......it is settled, He recognized Rattlesnake as soon as I hit the pause button......score: Me "1" Dad "0" Thanks everybody !
Old 11-11-2004, 07:57 AM   #18
Mr Port Jefferson

Default Remember...

I remember whan they were filming that movie- WLNH used to make announcements as to what streets were closed and how to get around the filmming and the traffic.
I love the movie and always thought those shots were on Winni! Thanks for the info, now I too gotta get the DVD!
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default Rinkerfam is correct

The opening scenes of the Newhart show were indeed from OGP outtakes. This fact was mentioned in an article in TV Guide when "Newhart" was on the air. Although the Stratford Inn was supposed to be located in Vermont, I believe it was also mentioned that both the car scenes and the inn itself were not in that state.
I had also heard from friends in Tamworth that when OGP was filmed back in 1981, Miss Hepburn's secretary called the Barnstormers' Theater to get tickets for Sat. night's play performance. She was told by the old box office veteran that the show was sold out. When she said she was Miss Hepburn's secretary she got the same reply -- "Sorry it's sold out". Ayuh! Apparently that didn't impress them.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #20
PROPELLER

Default Newhart Inn

I believe I read (maybe Yankee again) that the Inn they show at the opening of the show was shot in Vermont of an actual Inn. It was named something like Blueberry Inn, not sure & I can not remember the town this Inn was in.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #21
KBoater

Default IN the Varneys

In one of the boat scenes the boat house on Little Mud(a Varney) is very recognizable. Also the crash scene is the rocks in the loon area of the Varneys
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #22
Island Girl

Unhappy OK, I give up

I am just not seeing that being Rattlesnake Island. Could someone describe the what is to the left and right of it. Where exactly is Billy's boat. I don't see any of the islands that are near Rattlesnake.

Some time ago Island Guy and I took the tape of the movie and stopped it in several places at this scene and just could not reconcile the location.

Thanks for the help

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #23
PROPELLER

Default Newhart Inn

I knew it was a something berry. Well actually the real Inn used in the opening scenes of Newhart was The Waybury Inn in Middlebury VT. Found it on a Newhart site & confirmed on the The Waybury Inn site. The photo on the Inn site confirms it. Looks just like the one used on the show.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #24
glennsteely

Default Island Girl.....

I think it is a view from the broads, if the shot was bigger, I think you would see Diamond island to the upper right of the frame. The mainland in the background to the right and top is on the way to Alton. I could definitely be wrong, it just looks like that to me.......does anyone know for sure ? You cant tell me you dont recognize that hump, that is definitely Rattlesnake.....
Old 11-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #25
PROPELLER

Default Another Tidbit

Rinkerfam quotes Frost at the bottom of his post. The Waybury Inn, used in the opening Newhart scene was a favorite of Robert Frost, according to their website.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:33 AM   #26
KPW

[QUOTE=Island Girl]I am just not seeing that being Rattlesnake Island. Could someone describe the what is to the left and right of it. Where exactly is Billy's boat. I don't see any of the islands that are near Rattlesnake.

I believe that was filmed from the area around Orchard Cove - Cow Island.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
KBoater

Question From Sandy Island

From the position of the Belnaps in the background and the island my guess is that the picture was taken from somewhere around Sandy Island looking southeast. Anyone have some pictures of their own to review this? Also I'm not sure if the picture was taken from the air or water. They did use helicopters for much of the film.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #28
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I'm not sure but in the 2'nd picture I think you're looking at one of the Varney Islands in the foreground with Barndoor I in the background right and the point past Clay Pt in the background left. However if I'm correct then I'd expect to see some markers just about where the boat is in the picture so I dunno ........... Anyone else know ?
My guess is the same as yours, M&M, but I also wonder where those markers are!
Old 11-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

While were on the movie tie-in to lake winni, Does anyone know if the movie starring Richard Dryfus and Bill Murray, called What about Bob, was filmed at Winnipesaukee?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #30
DRH

There was a thread here a few years ago discussing the "What About Bob?" movie, which was actually filmed at a lake in Virginia. Does anyone remember the name of that lake?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #31
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Lake Winnipesaukee Imposter

Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

Click here for more info:

http://www.lynchburgonline.com/smithmtlake.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:28 PM   #32
Cal

Rumor has it the film schedule was for after labor day when the crowds were reduced and things would be quieter. Since they were portraying summer the fall foliage was a problem. This brought them to Smith Mountain Lake Va. where they were green longer.
The first time I saw the movie , I was straining my eyes and mind to make out anything familiar. One problem was the scene where Bill Murray was learning to swim off the dock...the water wasn't clear enough
Then at the closing credits I saw it was SML and was really disapointed
Old 11-13-2004, 08:05 AM   #33
itchin for fishin

Great thread guys. The only bummer is that is sure is a hot stove thread and it will be a while before we can be cruising the lake ourselves.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:51 AM   #34
gtxrider

Default Movie magic!

The markers could have been removed from the shots just as things are added to movies. Just look at Forrest Gump and the new Mustang commercial with Steve McQueen.

I also seem to remember that in the shots of Billy driving around in the boat the frame was refeversed so the driver is on the left. Am I wrong?

And What about Bob? Dr. Marvin, Dr. Leo Marvin!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #35
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
I am just not seeing that being Rattlesnake Island. Could someone describe the what is to the left and right of it. Where exactly is Billy's boat. I don't see any of the islands that are near Rattlesnake.

Some time ago Island Guy and I took the tape of the movie and stopped it in several places at this scene and just could not reconcile the location.

Thanks for the help
Good point. I'll have to confirm with pictures I've taken, but in the still with the kid and the sailboat, that *could* be Rattlesnake's northern end on the left side of the photo. I can't definitively make out Diamond Island to the north, however. But if Rattlesnake is in that picture, it could only be the sliver on the left -- taken from the east just south of Cow.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #36
Gilly 20

Smile Hi Lady Di!

We watch the movie at least once per month-- and have the DVD also. Just a note to share your sentiments to the best piece of heaven we know! --we have lots of the same memories-- and- I'm glad we are here in Florida now! Had the boat out yesterday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Di
Do you really watch it once a week? I can only handle it about once a year....then I am a soggy wreck.

It's not enough that I am away, (which, by the way, was as much my choice as not), but that was the summer I was getting divorced, living in Gilford. There was a casting call for extras, and I almost went, but wasn't quite up to it.

I even cry when I hear the music. There has NEVER, in my opinion anyway, been a sound track that so PERFECTLY fit the story.

The day here today in Central Florida is like the most perfect Fall day up there. Just like most of the time when I was there in late August, just like the day of the Forum get-together.
Gilly 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #37
Rinkerfam

I am sooo tempted to throw OGP into the DVD tonight. The only problem is that it will make the next several months seem that much longer. I think, instead, that I will toss a Warren Miller flick in instead
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58 AM   #38
glennsteely

Ah! Go ahead and watch it, it does make time until your next trip seem a little longer, but it satisfies the instant gratification end of it......plus, it is getting cold down here, so I know it is cold up there. What is better, watching it in your warm living room, wherever you are and day dreaming about the next trip, or standing on the public docks at the weirs in 12 degree 45 mile an hour winds, trying to remember the last boat ride ? Spring will be here before you know it, and we all will be enjoying the sun and water of The Great Lake Winnipesaukee once again........
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #39
Rinkerfam

glennsteely-thanks for the nudge. I think at the very least I will watch the documentary portion of the bonus features once again. After that who knows. The beauty of DVDs is that you can pick and chose the scenes you'd like to "re-live". Thanks again
Old 11-17-2004, 05:53 AM   #40
glennsteely

Default Rinkerfan....

No problem, I am, by nature a "nudging" kind of guy...hope you enjoy the flick !
Old 11-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #41
CableBob

The shot with Billy driving that old boat with the wind in his hair was my desktop for a long time just because it represented freedom of being out on the lake.

As far a Bob goes, well lets just say Baby steps! Both good flicks in different ways. What a nice thread!
CableBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #42
Island Girl

Wink Definitely not Rattlesnake...

It has taken me a while to prove that the hump is not Rattlesnake Island, but here it is... this is a shot of Black Point in Alton.

Watch the movie and you will see all of the same mountain formations as in this picture.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #43
Cal

It sure looks like you're correct IG. Good job. That had to be a labor of love .
Old 03-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #44
JTA

Default Good detective work but ....

Very nice IG, but I notice that the boat is running in water, not ice. The scene must be somewhere in the Carribean.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #45
glennsteely

Default Wow, I guess you hit that one right on the "point"....

But, it still proves it was filmed on the lake right? Great job IG, and what a beautiful picture, how cold was it out there?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #46
Grant

Default Alton Angle

Being able to see Mt. Major in your photo provides an additional reference point not visible in the still from the movie. Good stuff!

g
Old 03-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #47
DRH

Thumbs up She's right!

We looked at the individual frames showing that scene with Billy too, and IG's absolutely right about the location.

By the way, gtxrider is correct, too, in his 11/13/04 post about Billy being on the wrong side of the boat. In most of the shots he is (correctly) on the right side, but in one short scene they reversed the image and he is driving on the left side.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #48
Old Hubbard Rd

Default On Golden Pond-Just had to get my copy!!

After reading all these comments I just had to go to ebay and buy a dvd of On Golden Pond. Got a great deal too!! Only $4.11 plus shipping!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 AM   #49
glennsteely

Default Smart buy!!!!!

It is one of the greatest films of all time......command acting from the whole cast.......Good Watching......GS
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #50
DRH

Default No Doubt About It!

Being retired has its advantages ... spare time!

I found a frame of Billy in the boat that matches IG's picture almost perfectly. There's no doubt that she has correctly identified the background in that scene. Here's a comparison of her picture to the new frame from the movie:

Island Girl's Photo (slightly cropped version of her original picture)

Scene From Movie
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #51
Island Girl

Talking Perfect

Good job, DRH... You got a good match! You have a good excuse, retirement. I am not sure what mine is. Dogged persistence perhaps.

....... Make Lemonade

Last edited by Island Girl; 03-07-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #52
gtxrider

Default Which way are yoo going?

Quote:
It has taken me a while to prove that the hump is not Rattlesnake Island, but here it is... this is a shot of Black Point in Alton.

Watch the movie and you will see all of the same mountain formations as in this picture.

Island Girl,

Were you heading away from Alton Bay or towards the Bay?
Tell me you shot the picture heading home driving backwards at speed.

Anyway, nice shot! I wish I were ice and snow or open water.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #53
Island Girl

Default ....and standing on my head

LOL...

I am hoping for a little more snow. My sled comes out of the shop this week and I would like another weekend or two out there. Then a quick ice out.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #54
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Well Done

Quote:
Good job, DRH... You got a good match! You have a good excuse, retirement. I am not sure what mine is. Dogged persistence perhaps.

Amazing detective work ! Did you have a hunch about the locale or did you just happen to "see it" one day ?!? In either case you have a very good eye for detail !!

So now (to everyone) who can ID, and match with a picture, the other photo posted by the Webmaster. Again I beleive it's in the Varneys but there's buoys missing if I'm correct. As soon as the boat goes in I'll be up there to try to match the pic (unless IG beats me to it, drats I have no "hard water" craft )

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 03-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #55
Island Girl

Default My Island has two humps

I just knew it was not Rattlesnake Island. If you watch the movie frame by frame you will see that there was no Diamond Island , no Sleeper's Island and no Copple Crown where they should have been. Also at some point the viewer should have seen two humps. I could see what looked like Rt 11 in the background and went looking for a view with that in the background and a "hump". The geology of the area has many humps and points, much like the volcanos in Hawaii. Rattlesnake's two humps are so prominent because they sit in the middle of the lake, but there are many other humps like them that surround the lake...... or I spend too much time sitting around looking at the mountains!

I do not know the exact location of the island in the other picture, but am pretty sure it is in the Varney's. Someone else must know...

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #56
Bizer

The island in the other picture is Long Pine, the southernmost of the Varney Islands. Barndoor is the island behind Long Pine. Clay Point can be seen behind and left of Barndoor Island. The camera is facing almost due west.

Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #57
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up That was my thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer
The island in the other picture is Long Pine, the southernmost of the Varney Islands. Barndoor is the island behind Long Pine. Clay Point can be seen behind and left of Barndoor Island. The camera is facing almost due west.
So now the question is where are the buoys ? Am I correct in thinking that theres a big rock just off the end of the island (Long Pine) and that there are a couple of buoys marking it ? Or am I thinking of the wrong Varney ? You can go btw the island and the buoy or the shore and the companion buoy but don't split the buoys ! I would have thought they would have been visible in the picture. Of course (as previously suggested) they may have been "Photoshopped out".
Old 03-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #58
GWC...

Default Another view by MapTech...

A memory refresher for those more distant from the Lake...

Hint: Look at lower right portion of map for area being discussed.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #59
MikeWelsch1559

Wink 20 Mile swim

Mike Welsch is back to swim from Alton Bay to Meredith August 7th.or 8th.
20 mile swim, starts at Midnight
MikeWelsch1559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #60
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWelsch1559
Mike Welsch is back to swim from Alton Bay to Meredith August 7th.or 8th. 20 mile swim, starts at Midnight
This has to do with On Golden Pond/What About Bob because you will be swimming by where the photo was taken?
Good luck with your swim and remind us as it gets closer.
Nice catch IG. I couldn't quite see our island in the photo either. Thanks for solving it!

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 03-10-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #61
DRH

I will try to go over to that specific area tomorrow by snowmobile and take a picture for comparison.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #62
Grady223

Default Alton Bay?

Island Girl, still not sure I understand which veiw this is. Is it looking west with my back to Wolfeboro toward the mouth of Alton Bay?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #63
Island Girl

Default South!

It is looking south. The mouth of Alton Bay is in the middle of the screen.

Wolfeboro Neck was behind me.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #64
DRH

Default Here's the Photo

Mee-n-Mac is right ... there is a black & white marker just south of Long Pine Island ... but it's not there in the movie. (In fact, it wasn't there today either! A winter casualty, maybe?) Maybe they "Photoshopped" it out in the movie, or maybe they just weighed it down below the surface while they made the shot.

Photo Taken Today of Long Pine Island

Billy Going By Long Pine Island
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #65
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Thx DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
Mee-n-Mac is right ... there is a black & white marker just south of Long Pine Island ... but it's not there in the movie. (In fact, it wasn't there today either! A winter casualty, maybe?) Maybe they "Photoshopped" it out in the movie, or maybe they just weighed it down below the surface while they made the shot.
That makes it 2 'fer 2 on photo ID's ! You're probably right about weighting down the bouys for the shoot. I hadn't even thought of that Too much time spent at the computer I guess Looking at Billy's course I would have thought he was mighty close to that rock off the end of the island but I'll guess he's just inside of it, towards the island end. I'm amazed on how similar the island trees look after all these years.

So anybody know of any other scenes filmed on Winni we can positively ID ? Someone else thought the boat crash scene was in the loon sanctuary ... ? I wonder if there's an OGP forum out there asking just where on Winni certain scenes were filmed
Old 03-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #66
glennsteely

Default Wow.....what Big Eyes You Have......

Better To I.d. The Lake With My Dear.......you Guys Are Truly Amazing.....thanks For The Research, And The Flicks......gs
Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #67
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Another OGP Continuity Goof!

In response to the Ice-Out/Springtime Rituals thread

Another continuity goof is in scene 3 when Norman and Ethel are in the canoe watching two loons with binoculars. When a motorboat comes into view, the loons take on a fake, wooden, un-loon-like look. (You can’t fool me with bad decoys! )
(I hope I didn't miss seeing this tid-bit in a previous post! )
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #68
Grant

Loon Actor's Guild (LAG) guidelines mandate the use of wooden stunt loons in scenes involving motoboats.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #69
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Nothing on the Squam Lakes webpage but there is this blurb on the Squam Lakes Chamber of Commerce Page

Squam Lakes Chamber of Commerce

Squam Lakes Forum link seems not to be functioning.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #70
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH

Photo Taken Today of Long Pine Island
A little off topic, but what a diffrence a year makes. Today we're watching the ice disappear before our eyes, last year it still looked like winter.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #71
Orion

Default boat crash scene

The boat crash scene and the house are on Squam Lake. I think "Purgatory Cove" is on the north side of Moon Is or one of the adjacent islands. It's been a while since I've been there. The house is on the SW side of Center Harbor Neck on Squam.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #72
wildwoodfam

Default Was on FLIX tonight!

Watched it this evening - a good primer to the start of the season!

I had seen a documentary on the filming - the boat crash scene was filmed on Winnipesaukee over near Kensington - the loon sanctuary area. The boat ride scene was filmed in the broads on Winnie - everything else was on Squam. Except the interiors - which were filmed in studio in Hollywood.

GREAT MOVIE!! A real tear jerker - but gets you in the mood to head to the lake!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #73
Gatto Nero

Default On Golden Pond marks 25th

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13319129/
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #74
4Fun

Great movie... Of the two screen shots shown how many RSAs can you see being broken!!

150ft Rule (both shots)
Give way boat (1st shot)
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #75
NHKathy

Default What a great movie!!

Believe it or not, I just finally saw On Golden Pond for the 1st time this past weekend. I had never seen it even though I had heard so much about it -(was not a huge "movie renter" until I finally joined Netflix). What a great movie! I am definately gonna have to BUY it now - I could watch it over and over again, just for the wonderful scenery alone! I must own it! Neat to know that my 1st viewing of the movie was in it's 25th anniversary year!
Awesome movie!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #76
jceria

Default Three Stooges

I remember seeing a episode of the Three Stooges. If I remember right....
Moe ask's Curly, "where were ya born?" Curly replies..."Lake Winnipasaukee!"
Moe: "How do ya spell it?" Curly" W-I-N-N-I......never mine I was born at....."
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #77
Harborist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceria
I remember seeing a episode of the Three Stooges. If I remember right....
Moe ask's Curly, "where were ya born?" Curly replies..."Lake Winnipasaukee!"
Moe: "How do ya spell it?" Curly" W-I-N-N-I......never mine I was born at....."
You might want to check the title of this forum for the correct spelling of the lake in question.
Harborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #78
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default 25th Anniversary of "On Golden Pond"

follow the link for CONCORD MONITOR ARTICLE

little known fact from the article....

Quote:
"Clair" the loon, one of two decoys used in the film, is twice the size of a live loon, so the bird could be better seen on film. Viewers of the Concord exhibit can see the bird and its netted underside where an underwater diver controlled the bird's movements.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #79
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We were invitied to the filming of OGP. We were "too busy" and didn't get there. I have regretted it ever since.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #80
Gatto Nero

Default OGP Traveling Exhibit

According to this article in the Citizen it is now at Meadowbrook.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...222/-1/CITIZEN
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #81
NHKathy

Default Got my fix this week!

Well, I watched On Golden Pond again, for the 1st time this year!
Love this movie!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #82
HomeWood

I usually watch On Golden Pond once a week in the summer and then it get's put away for the winter. Around October or November, "Grumpy Old Men" and "Fargo" come out as my winter movies and get me siked for ice and snow for the Rotary Derby. On Golden Pond comes back out around May. I have my weird little traditions.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #83
Rinkerfam

I watched the documentary portion of the DVD last night. I enjoy that almost as much as the movie. It's pretty cool to know that the Playwrigh/Screenplay writer ended up living on Squam after shooting the film there.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #84
Nauset

Default Autograph

Years before we got married my wife cornered Jane Fonda in the bathroom of the old Jade Island Restaurant and got her autograph on a paper towel. She was very gracious about it.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote