Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
GBGX2

Smile Nolan's Brick Oven Bistro in Wolfboro

Had an awesome lunch today at the bar ! Chicken Parm sandwich was absolutely delicious! Bartender was great! Thanks so much.....
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
snowflake

Default Nolan's

We had dinner at Nolan's on Friday night. Chicken parm and angel hair were out of this world. The two of us could have shared the meal though. It was very noisy but it is small and a family restaurant. We'd go back.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
We had dinner at Nolan's on Friday night. Chicken parm and angel hair were out of this world. The two of us could have shared the meal though. It was very noisy but it is small and a family restaurant. We'd go back.
Someone told me Nolan's opened up the adjacent restaurant with the same name and food offerings. Similar to what the old "Restaurant" did. Is this true? If true, the layout of that restaurant is better than the main location as it less noisy.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Someone told me Nolan's opened up the adjacent restaurant with the same name and food offerings. Similar to what the old "Restaurant" did. Is this true? If true, the layout of that restaurant is better than the main location as it less noisy.
Yes, I believe you can get all items,in both places
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Yes, I believe you can get all items,in both places
That solves the one problem the original Nolan's has which is noise in its main facility (the restaurant on the left when facing from the street). The restaurant on the right has a nicer atmosphere and is quieter.

I still find it strange that these two restaurants sit side by side. In both cases, first as "The Restaurant" and now as "Nolans" the owner uses the same theme, with the same name, in side by side locations. I have enjoyed both restaurants but find the approach unusual.

VitaBene, thanks for the update.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Agreed Secondcurve- I believe that the same owner owns both spaces but that in the past he has tried to lease to 2 restaurants. Maybe one of the Wolfeboro-ites can shed more light!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

We have been to Nolan's several times over the past few months. In every case, when we arrived at the "main" (left) entrance, we were told there would be a substantial wait, but if we went next door (right), we could be seated immediately, same menu.

Given The Restaurant was one of our favorites due in part to the ambiance, we have not hesitated to go "next door"

But they do run them as somewhat separate entities. I only know this because our wonderful children very much surprised us on our 30th anniversary by hosting a surprise, private, party for us in the "right" portion. So clearly it is available as a function facility.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
But they do run them as somewhat separate entities. I only know this because our wonderful children very much surprised us on our 30th anniversary by hosting a surprise, private, party for us in the "right" portion. So clearly it is available as a function facility.
Was that about two or three weeks ago? We went with friends on a Sunday evening for our last boat ride of the season, and the restaurant on the right was closed for a function. We enjoyed seeing the wedding photo that was set up by the door.

We went next door and had a great meal. Each couple split one appetizer, one meal and dessert. It was great!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Was that about two or three weeks ago? We went with friends on a Sunday evening for our last boat ride of the season, and the restaurant on the right was closed for a function. We enjoyed seeing the wedding photo that was set up by the door.

We went next door and had a great meal. Each couple split one appetizer, one meal and dessert. It was great!
Yup, that was us!

(PS: I believe we also met at the Chef's Table event at the Inn a few years ago.)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Yup, that was us!

(PS: I believe we also met at the Chef's Table event at the Inn a few years ago.)
We did indeed! Congratulations on your anniversary!

(We were actually tempted to sign your guestbook. ; )
Old 11-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Lakepilot

My wife and I had lunch there today. She had the meatball sub and I had the Shepard's Pie special. Both tasted OK. Her sub was over-priced for what it was and my Shepard's Pie was not the traditional Shepard's Pie. It was Mashed, corn and hamburg on a plate. It tasted OK but the bottom line is that the service was OK, not great and the food was OK not great.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Had to choose between Pine Cone Cafe and Nolan's tonight--unfortunately, we chose Nolan's. The wait was horrible (quite a few open tables, so not crazy busy)--my wife overheard a waitress tell another table that the pizza would take an hour, when asked, after waiting twenty minutes, our waitress said that was correct. My wife changed her order to a tuna wrap.

Food was average at best--veal parm, which the waitress pimped big time, was the size of a thin burger and mostly breading.

No kids menu, so cost just under $100 for two adults and two kids for a very, very average meal and slow service.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
thinkxingu

As I was just paying the bill, it occurred to me how disappointing it is to spend a hundred clams on a mediocre experience. There's a dozen other restaurants I would've (in hindsight) rather have dropped the coin at.

Added: the best part of the visit was on the way out the door, where an older gentleman had one of those dollar-bills-on-a-string!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
Patiently Watching

Summer in Wolfeboro
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patiently Watching For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
noreast

I was going to pop in yesterday but it was a crazy line outside.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #16
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs down I DO'NT THINK SO! Where is BARRY?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Summer in Wolfeboro
Food was average at best--Veal Parm, which the waitress pimped big time, was the size of a thin burger and mostly breading.

IS BARRY there anymore??? If he is not I can tell you why the Veal-Parm was the quality of the Italian Farm House. Hamburg and Franco-American Sauce (canned).

KAREN & Barry's
Barry made the BEST VEAL of any one in this area BE IT PARM OR Marsala!

He did MADALIONS OF VEAL for the Marsala. The Marcela Sauce was the best anywhere. I would ask for a spoon to clean off the plate.

We did go to Nolan's just after they announced Barry was taking over. We went there several weeks later and the Veal was as good as ever!

We bought 2 gift certificates.

We went back last October for dinner and yes it was a Saturday Night. Similar noise level and weight time but that be dammed. I had been tasting the Veal Marsala since early that morning!

Well you guessed it, The Veal Medallions turned out to be a "HUNK" of the toughest Veal (paddy) I have had anywhere. The Marsala Sauce, not even as good as Franco American (Canned).

I complained to the Hostice about the poor quality and taste of the food and asked if Barry was available. To my surprise she informed me that Barry was did not actually "COOK" on Saturday Nights. He spent his time during the week preparing the Sauces and someone else actually warmed them up on Saturday nights.

BARRY where are you?????

I need my Marsala Fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 07-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
eyenotall777 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

No kids menu, so cost just under $100 for two adults and two kids for a very, very average meal and slow service.
Kids menu or not I am calling BS on that price. I have never been there, but I checked the menu online.
Perhaps you (or the wife) indulged a bit too much?

http://nolansbrickovenbistro.com/pdfmenu/
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #18
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Kids menu or not I am calling BS on that price. I have never been there, but I checked the menu online.

You like calling BS, huh? Kinda stupid and kinda stupid thing to call it on. You'll notice I only tipped 15%. Oh, and NO alcohol--only a couple flat sodas and watered down lemonades.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #19
chasedawg

Default Mr. BS Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

Please add some added value to your responses. BS can stand for many comments neither which add to any value or credibility to your comments.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #20
noreast

I don't know about all that. The OP's point of not wanting to drop $100 every time out with the kids is an understandable one. I just looked over there menu, It's not out of line of a T-bones or 99. Considering the locale and I presume higher then average rent, I feel the prices are exactly where I'd expect them to be. Very mixed reviews so I won't comment on that but I've eaten in every desirable area in New England. For a pub menu, I can't be offended by that.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I don't know about all that. The OP's point of not wanting to drop $100 every time out with the kids is an understandable one. I just looked over there menu, It's not out of line of a T-bones or 99. Considering the locale and I presume higher then average rent, I feel the prices are exactly where I'd expect them to be. Very mixed reviews so I won't comment on that but I've eaten in every desirable area in New England. For a pub menu, I can't be offended by that.
I said nothing about spending the money, I said I hate spending it for a mediocre return. I gladly drop it at Canoe, the Bob House, Pop's, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (07-11-2016), noreast (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
noreast

I gotcha, And agree. I was really responding to macavity comparing there prices to a high end spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-12-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
eyenotall777

Default Told Barry is There...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Food was average at best--Veal Parm, which the waitress pimped big time, was the size of a thin burger and mostly breading.

IS BARRY there anymore??? If he is not I can tell you why the Veal-Parm was the quality of the Italian Farm House. Hamburg and Franco-American Sauce (canned).

KAREN & Barry's
Barry made the BEST VEAL of any one in this area BE IT PARM OR Marsala!

He did MADALIONS OF VEAL for the Marsala. The Marcela Sauce was the best anywhere. I would ask for a spoon to clean off the plate.

We did go to Nolan's just after they announced Barry was taking over. We went there several weeks later and the Veal was as good as ever!

We bought 2 gift certificates.

We went back last October for dinner and yes it was a Saturday Night. Similar noise level and weight time but that be dammed. I had been tasting the Veal Marsala since early that morning!

Well you guessed it, The Veal Medallions turned out to be a "HUNK" of the toughest Veal (paddy) I have had anywhere. The Marsala Sauce, not even as good as Franco American (Canned).

I complained to the Hostice about the poor quality and taste of the food and asked if Barry was available. To my surprise she informed me that Barry was did not actually "COOK" on Saturday Nights. He spent his time during the week preparing the Sauces and someone else actually warmed them up on Saturday nights.

BARRY where are you?????

I need my Marsala Fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WINNOCTURN- I visited Nolans' this past Sunday evening. Before I ordered, I asked about Barry and told pretty much the same thing. He "preps" for the week, but does not actually do the daily cooking.

With that in mind I ordered the Veal Saltinbocca (come in Marsala sauce) and asked for the Veal to be thin. Said no problem, I also got the pasta w/ red sauce on the side.

The Marsala Sauce was OK, but definitely lacking that "richness" we are use to. They asked me how it was and I was honest, I said it OK, but something is definitely missing. Now the red sauce on the pasta, is what I remember, it was a match.

Still seeking the "richness" in the Marsala
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (08-01-2016)