Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
crowsnest

Default Wide Open saloon Weirs beach

Does anyone know if they did anything with the burt saloon or have any plans for it. I hope they rebuild or knock it down before tourist season starts this year !
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
fatlazyless

No signs of demolition-repair-reconstruction since the day of the fire at the Wide Open Saloon. Since the fire happened, a temporary chain link fence was installed around the perimeter and the burnt out wreck is probably waiting for a friendly insurance company to show up with a big bucket of 100-dollar bills to get a reconstruction project all engaged up.

So, where is the money, where-where-where, to make something start to happen down at the Wide Open Saloon? I have absolutely no clue what-so-ever but nothing is happening with the burnt out wreck which took place on September 17, 2010.

There's another thread on the fire at the Wide Open Saloon started on the day of the fire which has a video link to the fire from WMUR.
crowsnest (03-28-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

The entire Weirs needs a do-over! where is that master plan they have been talking about?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-28-2011), hazelnut (03-27-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Here's some new construction happening at the Weirs area. Over on nearby Scenic Drive, just up the hill and beyond a trailer park about one half mile from the seasonally closed Weirs the Beef store, the www.meredithbaynh.com has been doing extensive earth moving and sitework all winter long. Looking in their website, they have a number of proposed two bedroom-three bathroom townhouses overlooking the waterfront at 629 Scenic Drive with asking price in the range of 500 to 600 thousand dollars.

The site is located on a Weirs Beach Scenic Drive hilltop site that used to be home to a well known restaurant years ago, so I have been told. It is situated between the Scenic Drive and the waterfront railroad tracks which is within the City of Laconia.

Last time I drove past about two weeks ago, they were drilling and doing sitework with some big earth moving Caterpillar machines, and none of the townhouse construction had been started. Probably, the townhouse construction will be starting up soon?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Jmo77011

Default More condos?

Does anyone actually buy these homes? It seems like these developements have popped up all over the place, but especially in the Weirs and Meredith areas. For the most part, they look empty...and that's when the developments are actually finished!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Channel Pirate

Angry "Smoke House" pun intended

Just add it to the collection of local run down, eye sore Baldi properties.
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
sa meredith

Default Weirs

I made a trip up to the lake Thurs/Frid...and noticed a few things, while heading over to Crazy Gringos.
I was surprised to see the burned out building just sitting there, untouched. What an eye sore.
The bbq type shop at the end of the Weirs Strip is gone after just one season. Building is now empty. Seems like a a pretty solid location.
There is real estate sign in the window of the place next door to Gringos (Paradise Club???). Wondering if they are folding up?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Woodsy

SA...

The owner of the Paradise always puts it up for sale... but they will reopen in may.... same goes for Weirs the Beef. Tommy will be back from FL in a few weeks!

I dont think ANYTHING is going to happen at the Wide Open Saloon... rumor up here is they are still under investigation.... and the ins co hasnt paid out because of it.... but thats just hearsay!

Woodsy
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
sa meredith

Default not WTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
SA...

The owner of the Paradise always puts it up for sale... but they will reopen in may.... same goes for Weirs the Beef. Tommy will be back from FL in a few weeks!

I dont think ANYTHING is going to happen at the Wide Open Saloon... rumor up here is they are still under investigation.... and the ins co hasnt paid out because of it.... but thats just hearsay!

Woodsy
No, no...WTB is still there, in the old store building.
I'm talking about the place where the roof collapsed a few years back. It was a pizza place for a bit, and last year it was a bbq type place. Just empty now.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
angela4design

Default News on Facebook...

There have been a few postings on Facebook...

Quote:
I know I havent been on here much...It's still hard. No progress yet, Although I do have a few ideas. Lots of meetings with insurance and contractors. Unforunatly I am grossly underinsured, so more than Likely I will not be able to rebuild as big as I would like. Trying to remain optimistic though !
October 11, 2010 at 2:36pm
Quote:
I am very sad to say that the Wide Open Saloon will not be open in time for the 2011 season. I Have not given up yet, but have hit many MANY bumps in my road to rebuild and recover from such a heart braking lose.
February 11 at 9:59am
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Winniboater81

IDK I live in the weirs, and the smokehouse used to busy years ago. In the last few years nobody goes there. This past summer, the place was a ghost town...weird how it burnt down after the summer...after they tried to make it work.
Winniboater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
corollaman

Hope they do something with it soon, before bike week and the tourist season too. it's such an eyesore, just like most of the weirs. The whole weirs needs a makeover.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
No, no...WTB is still there, in the old store building.
I'm talking about the place where the roof collapsed a few years back. It was a pizza place for a bit, and last year it was a bbq type place. Just empty now.

Boy I hope they will open again. They had the best pulled pork burrito.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
Hope they do something with it soon, before bike week and the tourist season too. it's such an eyesore, just like most of the weirs. The whole weirs needs a makeover.
Maybe knock it down and put up a hot dog stand till they figure it out !
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's some new construction happening at the Weirs area. Over on nearby Scenic Drive, just up the hill and beyond a trailer park about one half mile from the seasonally closed Weirs the Beef store, the www.meredithbaynh.com has been doing extensive earth moving and sitework all winter long. Looking in their website, they have a number of proposed two bedroom-three bathroom townhouses overlooking the waterfront at 629 Scenic Drive with asking price in the range of 500 to 600 thousand dollars.

The site is located on a Weirs Beach Scenic Drive hilltop site that used to be home to a well known restaurant years ago, so I have been told. It is situated between the Scenic Drive and the waterfront railroad tracks which is within the City of Laconia.

Last time I drove past about two weeks ago, they were drilling and doing sitework with some big earth moving Caterpillar machines, and none of the townhouse construction had been started. Probably, the townhouse construction will be starting up soon?
Not only a restaurant, it was a motel! Before they started work, you could actually in the concrete that there were strip motel units!

The new units will be kind of "cliff-hangers", as I imagine, having walked around several years ago. It used to be a nice stop/rest site, when bicycling the rail tracks with a "mountain-hybrid bike", mixed with side roads.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
no-engine

Quote:
Some recent snow made the roof in back cave in. More neglect.
Seems, as another wrote, Baldi family will figure a way!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
6meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
IDK I live in the weirs, and the smokehouse used to busy years ago. In the last few years nobody goes there. This past summer, the place was a ghost town...weird how it burnt down after the summer...after they tried to make it work.
I have to agree here. I used to be at the Smokehouse atleast one night per weekend. Friday and Saturday very busy. But with live entertainment. Went on a August saturday night last summer, three tables occupied outside and none inside, and I was one of them. No live entertainment due to the towns regulations on sprinkler systems or something.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default To be torn down soon?

From LaDaSun:

Quote:
LACONIA — The city's code enforcement officer will ask the City Council for permission to order the demolition what's left of the Wide Open Saloon — a Weirs Beach landmark ravaged by fire last September.

Enforcement Officer Bill Stewart said Monday the statutory procedure for ordering the building's demolition begins with an order from the council. He said the owners have 20 days to either make demolition arrangements or petition against the order to Belknap County Superior Court.

Likewise, if the order is not challenged but still disobeyed, Stewart said the city would be forced into court.

"It is very unsafe and very dangerous," Stewart said, noting that the owners have surrounded the property with a fence.

According to City Manager Eileen Cabanel, city officials are especially concerned that the building will not be torn down before annual Motorcycle Week in June.

She said Fire Chief Ken Erickson has repeatedly made his concerns about safety of the building known and she gave the code enforcement officer the authority to contact the city attorney for directions to order its demolition.

His recommendations will be considered by the council on Monday night.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #19
Rusty

You can read the article in today's LDS

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
fatlazyless

So, what happens to the empty lot after the burnt out Wide Open Saloon gets demolished and leveled? Just across the intersection there's a large empty lot that used to be home to Karl's Fine Foods which burnt down in October, 2005.

It's my guess that it remains an empty lot that's is available for sale for a long time, just like Karl's, and still responsible for an expensive semi-annual property tax bill.

Would a bank make a loan for construction of a new hotel in that location? Would a successful chain like a Dunkin Donuts, KFC, or Walgreen want to build there? Who knows....maybe the answer is yes and a Dunkin would be interested? After it gets leveled.....then what happens.....probably nothing except for a posting a 'for sale' sign and Bike Week vendor space.

Are the three different commercial business electronic, brightly colored, moving signs, all located near the former Wide Open Saloon, a positive or a negative for that commercial area down at the 'malfunction junction?'
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Laconia Citizen (4/7/11)

Quote:
Weirs anxious to see building razed

LACONIA — As they get ready for what hopefully will be a successful 2011 tourist season, business owners in The Weirs are buoyed by the city's decision to seek the demolition of a burned-out building at the entrance to the resort area.

At next Monday's City Council meeting, Code Enforcement Officer Bill Stewart is expected to ask for permission to order that the Wide Open Saloon, which was heavily damaged in a three-alarm fire on Sept. 17, 2010 — be razed.

The building at 38 Endicott Street North is owned by Brandi Baldi, who was unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

Built in 1886 as the Aquedoktan Hotel, the saloon first catered to visitors who came to The Weirs for reunions of Civil War veterans. With 30 rooms, the Aquedoktan was among the largest in the area.

Before becoming the Wide Open Saloon in 2010, the property had been known as the Weirs Beach Smoke House and was a popular destination for visitors, especially during Bike Week.

For several years, the Smoke House and its former, late owner Deb Tumey held a reception before the annual lighting of the Weirs Beach sign across the street on Lakeside Avenue. The lighting of the sign marks the unofficial start of the tourist season.

That lighting won't take place this year, at least not until the Wide Open Saloon is leveled and the lot it sits on is cleared, said Tom Pucci, the president of the Weirs Action Committee, which annually sponsors the sign lighting ceremony and uses the opportunity to promote The Weirs.

With the hulk of the Wide Open Saloon looming from just across the street, the WAC will postpone the ceremony, or light up the sign without fanfare, said Pucci.

"We feel it is in appropriate to kick off a tourist season with that as a backdrop," he said, adding that several people who last year visited his business, the Grandview Motel and Cottages, "asked if that building was taken down."

"I do hope that the city can move swiftly. There's a groundswell of support for the city to hold a business accountable that is at the crossroads of our tourist season. It's just something that is a hazard and an attractive nuisance."

Fred Clausen, owner of Proctor's Lakehouse Cottages on Weirs Boulevard, echoed Pucci's sentiments.

"I'm very happy with the direction the city is taking," he said. "I wish it had been done sooner."

Ward 1 City Councilor Ava Doyle, who with her husband David owns and operates Sun Valley Cottages, agreed that "everybody is concerned why it (the Wide Open Saloon) is still there. It's one of the entrances to The Weirs and with summer coming, we always try to put our best foot forward and it's certainly not our best foot at the moment."

Doyle, whose district covers most of The Weirs, said she's had a fire in her own business and "I can certainly understand what's involved in demolition and repair," adding, however, that she was "out of the loop" as to what unique challenges Baldi may be facing.

While they look forward to improvements at the Wide Open Saloon site, Pucci and Clausen are also looking forward to their respective opening days. The Grandview will open for the season next week; Proctor's on May 12 in time for the Winnipesaukee Fishing Derby.

"I think we're going to have a terrific season as long as the weather cooperates," said Pucci. Inquiries and reservations have been coming in from the United Kingdom, France, Germany and from across the U.S., he said, adding that some have been drawn by new nearby attractions, including the "Monkey Trunks" high rope and zip line at Funspot and the wilderness adventure park at Gunstock Mountain Resort, both of which are expected to be online this season.

An additional race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway will also mean more visitors to The Weirs and the Lakes Region in general, said Pucci, who also thinks a New England-wide Mustang car show scheduled for the weekend after Labor Day will prove very successful.

Clausen said that after a "miserable" 2009, when the slumping economy hit his business the hardest, 2011 was shaping up to be incrementally better than 2010.

"We're about 10 percent ahead of last year's bookings which were about 10 percent ahead of the year before. It's looking like a good season, not a great season, but it's early."

Both Clausen and Pucci said that in addition to the weather, the other factor in whether they and their colleagues in the tourist trade have profitable seasons is the price of gasoline.

"People may come here and maybe not go further north," Clausen speculated with Pucci adding that "a lot of people do like that one-tank-of-gas-away vacation."

High gas prices several years ago prompted an increase in "stay-cations" — where people stayed at or close to home — and something similar could happen in 2011, said Pucci.

"Not that we're pleased to see the gas prices the way they are, but it's just a funny reaction. It could keep people from traveling greater distances."
Old image of the Aquedoktan Hotel

"The Aquedoktan, later known as The Eden Roc, became popular gathering spot for Weirs area businessmen as well as bands that played at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens, including Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton and Count Basie. The bands stayed right there and would often close the bar on Tuesday nights and be there when it reopened on Wednesday,” recalls Lawton."

More Pics click here....
http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (04-07-2011), Jonas Pilot (04-07-2011), Lakesrider (04-09-2011), MaidenCove07 (04-10-2011), moose tracks (08-17-2011), PapaDon (04-13-2011), SteveA (04-09-2011), VitaBene (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
ronc4424

The Laconia City Council last night ordered the building demolished by May 6th. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #23
PapaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
The Laconia City Council last night ordered the building demolished by May 6th. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I'll be surprised if it happens that soon...
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
Channel Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
Weird how the property is in his wifes name since the FRM scandal ?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Back in today's news, April 23 LaDaSun....something about the insurance claim denied by the insurance company and a lawsuit filed against the insurance company for denying the claim?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
Rusty

Quote:
Back in today's news, April 23 LaDaSun....something about the insurance claim denied by the insurance company and a lawsuit filed against the insurance company for denying the claim?
"The city code enforcement officer says the city still hopes the owners of the burned-out Wide Open Saloon at the foot of Lakeside Ave. at Weirs Beach will demolish the building but acknowledged yesterday that there are insurance issues that could slow the process."

Read the rest of the article here: The Laconia Daily Sun
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
crowsnest

Still Standing
Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Woodsy

It will not be torn down before bike week unfortunately.... and with litigation who knows when it will come down! Its an eyesore to be sure! I wish the parties involved would have done the right thing for the community, alas that is not to be!

Woodsy
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #29
fatlazyless

Default ...a winner tee shirt!

Would this make for a good selling tee shirt and postcard or what? Transfer the photo from McDude's post #21 with the burning Wide Open Saloon onto a tee shirt and label it "Insurance Denied - Laconia 2011".

That must be the Laconia Fire Dept's new aerial tower truck in the foreground that is shooting water onto the building?

Looking at the historical photos, the hotel used to be a very well designed and gracious looking building........but not anymore!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-07-2011 at 05:48 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Meredith lady

Default an eyesore for sure...

As an operator of a business in the Weirs, i personally think the owners of the Wide Open Saloon would be embarassed to have that building stand there for the summer 2011 season. Where is their loyalty to the rest of the Weirs community? The Weirs needs a face lift, we all agree on that. But being allowed to leave that building up is ridiculous. Just my opinion...
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
Wreckn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
As an operator of a business in the Weirs, i personally think the owners of the Wide Open Saloon would be embarassed to have that building stand there for the summer 2011 season. Where is their loyalty to the rest of the Weirs community? The Weirs needs a face lift, we all agree on that. But being allowed to leave that building up is ridiculous. Just my opinion...
I dont think they are "being allowed" to leave the building up. I think its more of a case where they didnt get the imsurance money and the whole thing with FRM, they were supposed to have it down by the 14th but there will be NO WAY that can happen with all the stuff that needs to be done (ie asbestos inspections, asbestos and hazmat abatement so on and so forth) believe me i want it down just as bad as everyone else and they have had PLENTY of time to do it but it doesnt look like they will. Sadly it looks like the city tax payers will be the ones to pay for it until the property has been sold
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
fatlazyless

With that centrally located Wide Open Saloon right in the center of Bike Week, why don't they go get some tee shirts made up and sell them through an opening in their temporary chain link fence or something like that. At least they could start to get a little cash flow rolling in from their burnt-out business location which never hurts. Probably, it would be a good seller with fire fighters and insurance people!

A good rendition of the Wide Open Saloon fire photo (post #21) above labelled INSURANCE DENIED - LACONIA 2011 would probably be a good selling tee shirt. You know there's a quality tee shirt maker just up in North Woodstock, NH on Route 3 www.rushordertees.com.

Why not.....what the heck......between losing with FRM in Meredith and the fire last September in Laconia with the insurance denied.....the luck has got to change for the better.....and these fire-photo-Laconia Tee Shirts could become a very hot item!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
LongBay

Default The slow decay of the Weirs

Fatlazyless, I wouldn't count on any corporate capital coming to the Weirs. Wallgreens, CVS, Dunkin Donuts and Marriott all went to the other end of town. I have seen the slow decay of the Weirs over the past thirty years. Maybe those WOW trail fundraisers can pitch in and donate some of their money to re-build the Weirs rather than tear down trees, fill in wetlands and lay down pavement and chain link fences for a trail going to nowhere.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #34
Channel Pirate

Default Breaking update !

Still there ! Memorial Day, Bike Week, 4th July, and now NASCAR weekend.
Don't want to add Labor Day and the September Nascar race to this list ?

I just wanted to post somthing on this thread so it would apear on the front page of the board again.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
fatlazyless

So, where is the friendly insurance company happy to show up with a great big bucket loaded full of hundred dollar bills that will power up a construction crew, all through this winter, to rebuild the fire damaged Wide Open Saloon building?

Here's hoping that Brandi & friends are able to convince a judge somewhere in a NH courtroom, that her insurance claim is strictly legit, and Lloyd's of London will do what they do best, pay out the insurance money. Best wishes for a successfull lawsuit!

Weirs Beach - Wide Open Saloon location: Possible outcomes ????

Possibility #1) The City of Laconia pays to have the fire damaged lot levelled, and the lot remains an undeveloped empty lot, similar to Karl's Fine Food, for the next five years or longer !

Possibility #2) Insurance money is put to work reconstructing the Wide Open Saloon, and it is back in business for next MC-Week with 4 O'Clock, Happy Hour, two-dollar Sam Adams beers!

Possibility #3) The City of Laconia gets court approval to demolish the fire damaged building and orders it to be leveled, despite the insurance co prevailing in court and having its denied claim upheld so there is no insurance money paid out.

Possibility #4) Cannot think of something intelligent to say here but without a doubt something could happen there that was unpredictable......at least to the casual observer? Truth can be stranger than fiction!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default SouthDown Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Fatlazyless, I wouldn't count on any corporate capital coming to the Weirs. Wallgreens, CVS, Dunkin Donuts and Marriott all went to the other end of town. I have seen the slow decay of the Weirs over the past thirty years. Maybe those WOW trail fundraisers can pitch in and donate some of their money to re-build the Weirs rather than tear down trees, fill in wetlands and lay down pavement and chain link fences for a trail going to nowhere.
Guess the folks at 'Yuppieville' have the last say on the WOW Trail. NOT ON MY BACKYARD!
Belmont Resident (04-27-2012)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
fatlazyless

What the boardwalk area at Weirs Beach has is an elevated lakefront outlook public area that is probably the #1 best spot like that on the entire lake. The boardwalk is beautifull and is elevated about 25' above the water level and has a real impressive view of the water and surrounds, plus it is just a short walk to the town docks, town beach, arcades, Mount Washington, and food venues.

Running a WOW Trail route along side the boardwalk would put Weirs Beach right in the middle of a nine mile waterfront bicycle trail that could attract bicycle visiters whenever there's no snow on the trail, like from March to December or something. That would be very good for Weirs Beach as a tourist type location! That would create a waterfront, 9-mile long, flat level bicycle pedal path on what is now a state owned railroad track embankment, that gets just a little bit of summertime tourist railroad use.

Stimilus funding played a big part in building the first mile #1 from Lakeport to Lake Opeechee, so it's pretty safe to assume that the strong local WOW Trail support plus Obama's second term in office will all roll along together to get the WOW Trail built out from Meredith to Weirs Beach to Laconia to Belmont and beyond.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #38
AC2717

Quote:
What the boardwalk area at Weirs Beach has is an elevated lakefront outlook public area that is probably the #1 best spot like that on the entire lake. The boardwalk is beautifull and is elevated about 25' above the water level and has a real impressive view of the water and surrounds, plus it is just a short walk to the town docks, town beach, arcades, Mount Washington, and food venues.

Running a WOW Trail route along side the boardwalk would put Weirs Beach right in the middle of a nine mile waterfront bicycle trail that could attract bicycle visiters whenever there's no snow on the trail, like from March to December or something. That would be very good for Weirs Beach as a tourist type location! That would create a waterfront, 9-mile long, flat level bicycle pedal path on what is now a state owned railroad track embankment, that gets just a little bit of summertime tourist railroad use.

Stimilus funding played a big part in building the first mile #1 from Lakeport to Lake Opeechee, so it's pretty safe to assume that the strong local WOW Trail support plus Obama's second term in office will all roll along together to get the WOW Trail built out from Meredith to Weirs Beach to Laconia to Belmont and beyond.
yeah I am sure all the people that are lake front that have the train embankment through their property want people and the added foot traffic to their land. (trian aside of course) Then all those people stopping to take breaks on their land, the trash that might be left there and the noise during the night of kids and people walking talking and biking up and down their property, not to mention that snow mobilers (not that I am against snow mobiles) would probably use it like the tracks now

Just think of that whole beautiful semi private property that people paid from between the Weirs and Meredith having to put up with that stuff, yeah that is fair to them,
what a joke

oh yeah with the fence requirement now these people with right away access on the water, would now have to hop over a fence on each side of the trail, yeah talk about beautification, my foot!

Last edited by AC2717; 07-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #39
fatlazyless

www.wowtrail.com .....what's not to like!....probably the best thing to happen to the Weirs since the sandy beach was created in the 1960's! Once the WOW Trail is built, everyone will say: Buoy, this is one fantastic WOW Trail.........like wow!

Have you taken the WOW Trail voter-poll? How will you be using the WOW Trail?

Just picture yourself pedaling the WOW Trail, back and forth for 15-miles on a hot summer's day, and then stopping for a two dollar, Happy Hour - Sam Adams at the newly rebuilt Wide Open Saloon which is directly along the trail there. Like wow!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
onthebay

Default WOW Trail

Take down the stupid requirement from the state for a 5 foot chain link fence along the trail and maybe I would not oppose it.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onthebay For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-15-2011), VitaBene (08-14-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #41
fatlazyless

At the bottom of www.wowtrail.com, under Design and Safety, it says the fence is four feet high and would have a six inch space below it to accomodate the chipmunks and squirrels and small animals, so not sure if that means a total height of four or 4 1/2'.

Having that ugly chainlink fence is a huge challenge, and cannot expect any waterfront property owner to want to live with that interrupting their view. The 4' chainlink fence is a big NO-GO so maybe they want to go with those grey granite rectangular cobble blocks set into concrete and about six inches high to create an attractive grey granite border as opposed to a fence.

And, the Wide Open Saloon can run a special: For just ten dollars, you get a Sam Adams beer and a tax deductable receipt showing you just paid for one granite cobble-block!

www.jlfstone.com/cobblestone.html
www.swensongranite.com
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
AC2717

Quote:
At the bottom of www.wowtrail.com, it says the fence is four feet high and would have a six inch space below it to accomodate the chipmunks and squirrels and small animals, so not sure if that means a total height of four or 4 1/2'.

Having that ugly fence is a huge challenge, and cannot expect any waterfront property owner to want to live with that interupting their view. The 4' chainlink fence is a big NO-GO so maybe they want to go with those grey granite rectangular cobble blocks set into concrete and about six inches high.
nothing against you FLL, but yeah I should care more about the chipmunks so they will not be inconvience, again not directing to you FLL but the wonderful people proposing this and the State,
Not to mention all the leave and tree debris that would be caught up on the fence every year and now all the added costs to maintain it, but the chipmunks can get back and fourth and that is what they care about

sorry this thing just gets me heated and my property is not even affected by this thing
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #43
fatlazyless

Page 17 of today's July 21 LaDaSun has a report on the legal back & forth going on between Brandi and her insurance provider, Lloyd's of London. It's pretty complicated stuff ...(?): "In court filing, insurance company claims Baldi didn't meet fire prevention standards of her policy." ...is the title of the article.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #44
fatlazyless

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...de-open-saloon

Surprise....this link actually works....now I think I'll go read the article and try to think of something to say that is both intelligent and relevant! Like wow!

Roll down to page nine, and there's a close-up photo of the burned building taken from an airplane.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #45
flyguy

Default Wide Open (Saloon) to the weather!

That would be this one:
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flyguy For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (08-17-2011), Jonas Pilot (08-17-2011), moose tracks (08-17-2011), Pepper (08-17-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #46
fatlazyless

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...lys-baldi-suit

Oh well, what can you say?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #47
crowsnest

Any one have any updates on this eye sore
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #48
LongBay

Default Still no news...

Maybe the next northeaster will knock it down once and for good. Then, no-one will have to open up their check book to tear it down.

For what the owner was paying in property tax's the last two years could have paid for the demolition. Maybe the NH should create the Ugly View Tax for bringing down the value of nearby property owners properties and thus causing a lost opportunity to tax those nearby property owners more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-02-2012), crowsnest (02-02-2012), pjs1342 (04-10-2012), Sunset View (03-19-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #49
LakeSnake

I though I saw an article in one of local papers (LDS?) aweek or two ago that a judge had ordered it be taken down by a specific date. The specifics did not stick in my memory.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #50
fatlazyless

A judge did order it to be taken down, and the owner of the property has appealed that ruling in a higher court.

The appeal claims that the fire damaged property can be repaired and does not need to be torn down which is probably true if you take a good look at the building. The fire dept got there fast and put out the fire fast.
LakeSnake (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #51
dragonfly03246

Default Citizen article

She's going to the Supreme Court with her appeal. This should be the last time she's able to go to court on this. I guess we'll find out shortly after Feb 16th.

http://www.citizen.com/news/laconia_...a4bcf6878.html
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfly03246 For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #52
LongBay

Default What people will do to draw out the inevitable

What people will do to draw out the inevitable and waste our taxpayer dollars in the meantime.

Maybe FlyGuy can give that owner a free tour of her property from above. No matter what angle you look at that property, the building is a loss.

PS Make sure someone reminds her to take off those rose colored glasses before she takes a look down at that big wide open hole in the roof.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #53
Belmont Resident

Default State should take it over

Give it to the city, they can bulldoze it into a parking lot and recoup some of the money they loose every year by letting bike week drag on for so many days.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #54
RailroadJoe

Does anyone know why this thing still stands? Didn't the courts order it down. No arsonist arrested yet.

Also is the roundabout at the Weirs junction Rt 3 and 11B going to be built this year?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Does anyone know why this thing still stands? Didn't the courts order it down. No arsonist arrested yet.

Also is the roundabout at the Weirs junction Rt 3 and 11B going to be built this year?
It still stands because the owner appealed that court ruling and no decision on the appeal has been made yet(that I know of anyway). Hopefully they are forced to knock the eyesore down soon.

Yes- they are starting the roundabout this year-unfortunately.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #56
Heaven

The town ordered it taken down based on a zoning ordinance instead of relying on a report from an engineer. I expect the court to decide in favor of the property owner (to decide whether to demolish or repair based on engineering results). In the meantime we get to look at the charred remains.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #57
RailroadJoe

Default Take it down

All you have to do is look at it. No way would anyone want to try and repair that building. Must have something to do with insurance coverage.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #58
no-engine

Building's condition appears worse in the last few days. I've seen now what appears to be a contractor's office trailer out back in the fenced in areas.

How can this family (Baldi) get away? News reports say that Lloyds insurance will not pay out while an investigation is on-going. I think it's unforgivable that Fire Marshals Office has not concluded. The weather has serious affects continually! I go by frequently. Guess what? There was no real conclusion made public to the fire that destroyed the former Lobster Pound Restaurant, maybe dozen years ago! Maybe this is similar??? Just total speculation. The same family owns drive in, and the colonial movie theatre in Laconia.

I have seen survey crews at the intersection just over the Weirs bridge. I speculate for the possible Roundabout. I have driven roundabouts in many places, smaller and larger than one in Meredith; I believe the State made a big mistake: the diameter should be a little larger! The waits get too long on the inbound roads.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #59
pm203

Roundabout or rotary?
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #60
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default roundabout

not enough room for a rotary.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #61
fatlazyless

From memory, as best I recall, the roundabout in Meredith is 120' diameter, and the Weirs roundabout which is to be built this year will be 110' in diameter.......or something like that.

And, a small piece of the former Karl's Fine Food parking lot will be used for the roundabout.

That vacant lot has been for sale for maybe five years now.

"Drastically Reduced" is what the real estate sales sign says on a property for sale that is close to the Cumberland Farm store......everytime I see that sign......it makes me giggle....."Drastically Reduced"
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #62
Winnisquamguy

The Meredith roundabout about is 130' and the new one in the Weirs will be 120' you can find more information here.http://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/lacon...june310_cr.pdf
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #63
AC2717

I know I am pushing this more off topic, and I am sorry, but I just hope they do not plan on doing this work this spring and summer
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #64
dragonfly03246

Default Work starting soon

The signs are up and the pavement's been marked. They plan on starting construction next month.
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #65
Belmont Resident

Default Sorry

I cannot see anything good coming from this project.
Except it should have traffic backed up all the way to Shaws during bike weekend.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
Lin

My mom's family summered in Laconia quite a bit from the 1920's on before moving to Moultonborough. In fact my aunt (relative of M/S Mt Washington Capt Avery) was raised in Laconia and her mom had property adjacent to the lake just north of the Weirs. I've always been told that there was a public access path along the lake there in front of the houses years ago, so a bike trail wouldn't be much different along the RR tracks. Mom is in a nursing home now and I'd have to go through dozens of photo albums but i'm pretty sure there is a photo of the lakeshore path. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=15574
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yeah I am sure all the people that are lake front that have the train embankment through their property want people and the added foot traffic to their land. (trian aside of course) Then all those people stopping to take breaks on their land, the trash that might be left there and the noise during the night of kids and people walking talking and biking up and down their property, not to mention that snow mobilers (not that I am against snow mobiles) would probably use it like the tracks now

Just think of that whole beautiful semi private property that people paid from between the Weirs and Meredith having to put up with that stuff, yeah that is fair to them,
what a joke

oh yeah with the fence requirement now these people with right away access on the water, would now have to hop over a fence on each side of the trail, yeah talk about beautification, my foot!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #67
Sunset View

Default Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Maybe the next northeaster will knock it down once and for good. Then, no-one will have to open up their check book to tear it down.

For what the owner was paying in property tax's the last two years could have paid for the demolition. Maybe the NH should create the Ugly View Tax for bringing down the value of nearby property owners properties and thus causing a lost opportunity to tax those nearby property owners more.
Enough already! This has been going on for far too long........at what point do all the merchants in the area say our customer counts are going down, businesses are hurting, people are turned off by the poor image and families aren't going to want to frequent an area that looks so unkept! At this rate, the Weirs will become the next Revere Beach! I'm with you LongBay...now that the lake is almost ice free, perhaps a freak snow storm in April will solve everyone's problem....come on noreaster!!!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #68
meredith weekender

what they really need to do is level the saloon and build a casino where the drive-in is. Just think of the possibilities... lol
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #69
fatlazyless

Most likely, the burnt out property is still required to pay a large property tax every six months based on what is probably an over-priced value of the land and possibly the burnt out structure.

That real estate sign just up the hill on Route 3, across from the now closed Cumberland gas station; "DRASTICALLY REDUCED PRICE" is a very unusual sign for selling a property. While it is not uncommon to see "Newly Priced" as opposed to "Price Reduced" .......seeing "Drastically Reduced Price" is an eye catcher.......however despite the drastically reduced price......the property has yet to get sold.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the six acre, recently clear-cut treeless dirt field, just south of the Cumberland gas station, is going to become a storage rental space business aka similar to "Storage Wars" on the Discovery TV.........that would be a very unusual land use for a location like that.....situated on a nice commercial location overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee. If that really happens......a storage business.....that does not say anything good about the concept of "Motorcycle Week" and what it has done to the Weirs on a long term basis.

A storage business.......... in that 6-acre field..........yikes?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #70
Happy Gourmand

Cumby's is closed?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #71
fatlazyless

The gas pumps are fenced out and closed and it looks like the gas pumps are getting a big repair done by a gasoline station service company named Gaftek ......maybe water got into the Cumby gas tanks underground....or something? Without the gas there's absolutely no reason for me to stop there. That gas station has a highly engineered gasoline leakage safety storage system....being located above Tower Street and Lake Winnipesaukee, the water resevoir for Laconia, and this years mud season has been incredibly wet and muddy.....so....I have no clue....but it seems pretty unusual that a newly constructed Cumby would need a gas storage repair at this time....however it indeed looks to be getting just that?

Back to the new to-be-built-this-year-2012 Weirs Roundabout. Neither the Plymouth or Mererdith roundabouts have any water irrigation and their dry perennial plantings all look like a field of dried out ugly weeds.

Maybe the new Weirs roundabout will include a lawn irrigation system, and become home to a decorative exotic showpiece roundabout garden that really really looks great ~ ~ ~ ~ !
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #72
patman

Quote:
Is there any truth to the rumor that the six acre, recently clear-cut treeless dirt field, just south of the Cumberland gas station, is going to become a storage rental space business aka similar to "Storage Wars" on the Discovery TV.........that would be a very unusual land use for a location like that.....situated on a nice commercial location overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee.
...you mean like the storage place near the fire station in Moultonboro? Granted, it's not overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee, but...nice lake/mountain views, and I could never understand the logic of locating it there.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #73
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Cumby's is closed?
Only temporary-should be about another week according to their employees. They are remodeling making it like some newer stores with pastries and some type of frosty machine according to a sign they had last weekend.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #74
no-engine

Drive by this afternoon. New Cumberland's sign, not the blue/white plastic look. Looks like an attempt to look "green", as in conservation.

Saloon: definitely a trailer used for construction site office is placed in back. Large bulletin board device stands as if attached, and with lots papers.
Maybe demolition permit, building permits, etc. There was setting on edge of driveway to drive-in a series of concrete pipes. I did not get out of my vehicle, and was only briefly stopped in Lobster Pound parking lot.

Instead of speculating about the uses of other sites nearby, why not someone check it out at planning board office; minutes are public record!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #75
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Drive by this afternoon. New Cumberland's sign, not the blue/white plastic look. Looks like an attempt to look "green", as in conservation.

Saloon: definitely a trailer used for construction site office is placed in back. Large bulletin board device stands as if attached, and with lots papers.
Maybe demolition permit, building permits, etc. There was setting on edge of driveway to drive-in a series of concrete pipes. I did not get out of my vehicle, and was only briefly stopped in Lobster Pound parking lot.

Instead of speculating about the uses of other sites nearby, why not someone check it out at planning board office; minutes are public record!
Behind the burned eye-soar, the trailer and gear and piping makes the site look more & more like the office/staging area for Busby Construction of the roundabout just over the Bridge! (a little site rental income for owner!) Large back hoe was working the banking towards the mini golf park, left side as heading over bridge towards Weirs Fire Station.

I need to drive by later today and will observe.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #76
corollaman

I wish they would just knock it down and get it over with. It's been almost 2 years! How long is this whole thing gonna go on for??? Enough already! It's such an eyesore. I'm sure it has made property values in the area drop.
The Following User Says Thank You to corollaman For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (03-27-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
no-engine

Definitely the contractor for roundabout; newspaper stories confirm.
Also, observations from drive Laconia > Meredith, this morning.

Guess we must live with the eyesore and the firemarshall's continuing investigation. Arson or not?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #78
Sunset View

Quote:
I wish they would just knock it down and get it over with. It's been almost 2 years! How long is this whole thing gonna go on for??? Enough already! It's such an eyesore. I'm sure it has made property values in the area drop.
It's an utter embarrassment to the community, to the potential tourists and to city government who have allowed this debacle to continue! Hard to imagine Don Thurston and his brothers along with the Lobster Pound owners living with this pile of garbage much longer. If this is the standard the city lives with, it's onlly a matter of time before the entire area lowers its standards for cleanliness, presentation and quality of image!
Tear It Down NOW!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
bclaker (03-27-2012), crowsnest (03-27-2012), dykg (03-27-2012), idoso (03-28-2012), Jeanzb1 (03-27-2012), LongBay (03-27-2012), Resident 2B (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #79
crowsnest

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
It's an utter embarrassment to the community, to the potential tourists and to city government who have allowed this debacle to continue! Hard to imagine Don Thurston and his brothers along with the Lobster Pound owners living with this pile of garbage much longer. If this is the standard the city lives with, it's onlly a matter of time before the entire area lowers its standards for cleanliness, presentation and quality of image!
Tear It Down NOW!
well said - TAKE IT DOWN
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #80
LongBay

Default Another Prediction..

My next prediction on this debacle is The Wall at Fenway Park will come down before the Wide Open. So let's see what's still standing by end of day July 1st, 2012.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #81
no-engine

Quote:
Tear It Down NOW!
I would not want to be the local building code enforcement person! or city manager, or on city council, or any position within city. even police or fire departments or county sheriff. Total disgrace to drive by.

I wouldn't even desire to enter the drive-in movie regardless of the feature film. Can't imagine being on the receiving end of rental income for the area in back for contractor's staging, while at same time leaving the condition of the building! Such an embarrassment!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #82
Happy Gourmand

Default What is the rest of the story?

There has to be a lot more to this story than what we think we know. I'm just guessing that the property owner is still paying a crazy amount of property tax for the building/location.
I would also think it reasonable to assume that he/she would love to resolve whatever the issue is with this so that it could again be turned into a revenue producing establishment of some sort.
This just makes me wonder what the real story is behind all the delays.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #83
AC2717

Can't we get a petition going to have the building removed or torn down, That just happened in the town where I live
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #84
Heaven

Nothing can be done until the issue has been decided in court.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #85
RailroadJoe

Where next? US Supreme Court. Already run out of local ones.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #86
Heaven

Quote:
Oh? What was the last decision?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #87
corollaman

Quote:
Last I knew it was already going to the supreme court, whether the case has been heard yet or not, I don't know.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #88
RailroadJoe

Last I read it was supposed to be torn down in seven days.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #89
Heaven

Last I heard it was scheduled at New Hampshire Supreme Court, if it has been heard and a decision made please post a link to the info?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #90
no-engine

News media has reported that New Hampshire State Fire Marshal is still in the "investigation" stage, apparently not releasing the property to owner (a member of the Baldi family, the drive-in & Colonial Theater owners) and thus the insurance carrier (Lloyd's) will not pay out.
Nothing but past readings from news print media.
We don't recall the reporting of courts, since a local judge did say tear down.

After recent rains or snows, it's easy to observe that upper parts continue to collapse! I drive by almost every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #91
Sunset View

Quote:
News media has reported that New Hampshire State Fire Marshal is still in the "investigation" stage, apparently not releasing the property to owner (a member of the Baldi family, the drive-in & Colonial Theater owners) and thus the insurance carrier (Lloyd's) will not pay out.
Nothing but past readings from news print media.
We don't recall the reporting of courts, since a local judge did say tear down.

After recent rains or snows, it's easy to observe that upper parts continue to collapse! I drive by almost every day.
Come on Spring showers!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #92
corollaman

I hope they tear it down before this coming Bike Week.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #93
no-engine

Quote:
Come on Spring showers!!
Last night, I see that some contractor equipment is very close to what's left of building. If a wind/rain storm comes along, I'd think debris would fall over on equipment and the office trailer. Very hazardous site: OSHA!

I certainly would not want to be on site with storm playing out.
More we observe & think, it's such a hazard to the abutters and a soreness to the eyes, especially with visitors. I certainly will give no directions that have one driving through that area. [I hope owners' family read threads!]

On another note, on recent NECN the Boss, story was about the Cumberland Farms business: most sites are getting a make-over. Appears that the one up hill will be open soon, if not already re-opened.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #94
nicole

Quote:
Last night, I see that some contractor equipment is very close to what's left of building. If a wind/rain storm comes along, I'd think debris would fall over on equipment and the office trailer. Very hazardous site: OSHA!

I certainly would not want to be on site with storm playing out.
More we observe & think, it's such a hazard to the abutters and a soreness to the eyes, especially with visitors. I certainly will give no directions that have one driving through that area. [I hope owners' family read threads!]

On another note, on recent NECN the Boss, story was about the Cumberland Farms business: most sites are getting a make-over. Appears that the one up hill will be open soon, if not already re-opened.
Cumby is already open-has been for a few days. They now offer more "to-go" types food-pizza, breakfast sandwiches, etc. Have not tried them yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
bresmom82 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #95
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
[/B]Cumby is already open-has been for a few days. They now offer more "to-go" types food-pizza, breakfast sandwiches, etc. Have not tried them yet.
I've been not so observant...
Thanks for the info. Wonder if the one in Meredith will get a make-over?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #96
AC2717

WE should have FLL try their "to-go" food first!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #97
Sunset View

Default Summer Is Almost Here !

And so too is the Wide Open Saloon!

Is anyone else wondering at what point does the process gain some traction and this eye-sore goes away? This will be the 3rd summer looking at that messs and we continue to be amazed that local businesses, residents and out of towners would want to be anywhere near the Weirs, not to mention the continued plummeting home values in and around the area! There is a correlation, it's high time for our residents, business leaders and town fathers to take a stand and get the badly needed revitalization and rejuvenation of the Weirs underway ASAP!

Thurston's, The Lobster Pond, Weirs business association.........let's go!

TEAR IT DOWN!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #98
pjs1342

Cool

Hey folks, Beware of what you wish for as far as the Weirs needing to change. Change to what? Upscale is where i see it going in the future which will drive out the working class. I like it honky tonk and bike week forever. Can anyone afford Meredith Bay? If more of these type developments continue I guarantee kiss bike week goodbye. Then the beloved drive-in becomes more condos and before long what attracted people to the Weirs becomes like any other onclave for the wealthy.
pjs1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #99
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs1342 View Post
Hey folks, Beware of what you wish for as far as the Weirs needing to change. Change to what? Upscale is where i see it going in the future which will drive out the working class. I like it honky tonk and bike week forever.
I am gonna regret bring this up, but there are two major factors why Laconia is the way it is while all the surrounding areas thrive, one of them being bike week... bike week does not help the city or its people.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #100
ChocolateGypsy

Default Upscale???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs1342
Hey folks, Beware of what you wish for as far as the Weirs needing to change. Change to what? Upscale is where i see it going in the future which will drive out the working class. I like it honky tonk and bike week forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
I am gonna regret bring this up, but there are two major factors why Laconia is the way it is while all the surrounding areas thrive, one of them being bike week... bike week does not help the city or its people.

The Weirs is far more "upscale" today than it was in the 60s when we had the "bike week riots." Back then, the Weirs looked like an atomic bomb had gone off in the 40s or 50s and no one had ever returned. (I still have nightmares!) I agree that the burned building is a safety hazard. But I really don't think the city has the money to tear it down either.

As far as Bike Week is concerned -- IT'S ONLY ONE WEEK OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!! And the quality of visitors has greatly improved with each decade.

IMO, the problem with Laconia is that it can't seem to escape the effects of it's past as a poor mill town and as a "dumping site" for the state's mentally ill... and then there's the prison... toxic waste sites... lack of descent jobs... etc.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChocolateGypsy For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-11-2012)