Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default sailboat electric motor?

On a 16' sailboat, a Mistral 16, that weighs 500-lbs and has an adjustable up-down bracket attached to the transom; should I go with a Minn Kota 40 or a Minn Kota 50 as a backup motor for when the wind dies away? The 40 is 36" long, and the 50 is 42" long so either could probably be used? These cost about $200 at Wal-Mart.

Also, just for curiosity, is a 4hp the correct size for this sailboat for a light weight, two-stroke gasoline outboard like a Tohatsu or an oldy-goldy, used Evinrude....or is a two-horsepower engine big enough?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
LastonBoard

Default electric motor

I guess it depends on how fast you want to go during the calms. If your mountings allow the motor to fully submerge with the shorter shaft the 40 should be fine.

I have an 80lb MinnKota on my boat and was able to do 2-3 mph pulling a 19 foot sailboat with 2 people on board (they had run a ground)
LastonBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Downeast

I think either would be fine. IMO I'd go for a nice good condition late 90's Yamaha 3hp. The two stroke of those small sizes start easier than the little 4 strokes and are imo are not as fussy as the little 4 strokes especially with fuel today.

This motor in particular is very light, self contained and has quite a bit of power for its size. Additionally it's very smooth and quiet. its a leaner mix than 50:1. no smoke .. great little motor.

in a chop, for what ever reason u can't sail, you've got extra gas.. batts have there purpose too. I like having gas as a back up.. IMO stay away from the propane for now.. they still have issues freezing up at the orfiice under heavy load.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
fatlazyless

The boat is about a 1985 or so 16' Mistral-cabin sail dinghy with two sails that cost me $1400 with a trailer, and for $300, I got a 1967 Johnson 3 1/2-hp outboard with a 20" shaft.

See the classified ad for Chuck's Vintage Outboards. Chuck has about 30 outboards, all old Johnson's and Evinrudes, and he says that he replaced about $150 worth of parts in this 48-year old motor. It sound, smells, and runs like a 1967 two-stroke, and it started up on the first pull!

Have not yet put the boat into the water, so's I need to get 'a ROUND TUIT' and get on it!

This boat came equipped with one of those spring loaded, outboard motor mounts bolted to one side of the transom.

Comparing electric trolling motors to a gasoline outboard is like comparing Polar carbonated water to Beck's Beer 6% alc ........ budda budda bing!