Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Temporary Boating License

Second hand information.
Neighbor picked up his boat in Channel area.
He was told that there is a temporary 2 week boating license.

Anyone have information about this?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
MeredithMan

Default Temp Certficate

There is a temporary certificate that one can get when renting a boat. I believe it is valid only for the rental period.

When you pass the proctored exam for the permanent certificate, the Proctor gives you a "temporary" permanent certificate on-the-spot that is good for 45 days from date of issue. This is to allow you to operate your boat/PWC legally, while giving you time to send in your $10 to the state for the processing of your actual permanent certificate.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
SPT13

Default temp licence

I have done this a few times. You take a test & must answer 20 out of 25 correct. It is $20, & if you pass, the $20 is credited towards your rental. It is good for the next 14 days. I believe you are only allowed to get it once a summer.
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Rich

Info straight from the state:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...temporary.html

Quote:
Under the provisions of New Hampshire RSA 270-D:14, a "14 Day Temporary Certificate" option will be made available whereby a boater who takes the test and passes it will be issued a boating safety certificate valid only in the State of New Hampshire and for only 14 days. In addition to the 14 Day Temporary Certificate, there are other more permanent options available that are NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved and recognized all over the country.

The 14-Day Temporary Certificate is only a short-term solution for your boating certification and it can only be used once. . . .

Individuals must be a minimum of 16 years of age to take the test and must get at least 80% to pass the test. If the individual fails, he or she will have the option to take another test at another date or elect to pursue one of the other options for certification. Individuals must provide picture identification at the time of the test.
If you want the text of the RSA (law):
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-14.htm
Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Needs to be addressed

I have seen marinas verbally answer the questions to their customers when renters take the test. So this is a no brainer. Also you do not need a certificate if you rent a boat 25HP and under. Although I don't have the statistics, from what I hear here and on the lake, the majority of the infractions on the lake and near as well as actual mishaps are from people that fits in this category. Unfortunately the NH Marine Industry will lobby against proposals eliminating the above loopholes.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have seen marinas verbally answer the questions to their customers when renters take the test. So this is a no brainer. Also you do not need a certificate if you rent a boat 25HP and under. Although I don't have the statistics, from what I hear here and on the lake, the majority of the infractions on the lake and near as well as actual mishaps are from people that fits in this category. Unfortunately the NH Marine Industry will lobby against proposals eliminating the above loopholes.
Report them, from the RSA (follow the link above)
Quote:
If the commissioner finds that a person administering a temporary safe boater examination has assisted the person taking the examination, the commissioner shall permanently revoke the authority of the administrator to issue certificates and administer examinations.