Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
MGWillia

Talking Boating Safety Course

But I have a boating question... . My son is looking to keep one of his boats here all summer. (not a big deal, he has a bow rider and an aluminum fishing boat) With that being the case, I'm thinking it's probably time for me to get a NH license. (Been a REAL Long time since I took my Boating Safety Course as a Sea Explorer) I know I have to take a course and take a test. I've been on the sight and see that there is an online version of the class. Living here in Alton Bay, where is the best place to go or the best options for handling this? Thanks as always... Life for a new guy would really be tough without you all.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Nhmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
But I have a boating question... . My son is looking to keep one of his boats here all summer. (not a big deal, he has a bow rider and an aluminum fishing boat) With that being the case, I'm thinking it's probably time for me to get a NH license. (Been a REAL Long time since I took my Boating Safety Course as a Sea Explorer) I know I have to take a course and take a test. I've been on the sight and see that there is an online version of the class. Living here in Alton Bay, where is the best place to go or the best options for handling this? Thanks as always... Life for a new guy would really be tough without you all.
Here's the dates for the proctored exams...

http://business.nh.gov/BoatingEducation/exams.aspx

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
MGWillia

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You can take the boating exam right at the Marine Patrol Headquarters on the lake in Gilford / Glendale. Here's the dates for the courses...

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...cial/exam.html

Good Luck!

Dan
That page says "commercial" boating exam. Is it the same thing?
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Oops!

Quote:
That page says "commercial" boating exam. Is it the same thing?
Ooops! Sorry my mistake! I edited my post to give you the correct info.

I think this year because of the construction on the new Marine Patrol Headquarters, no exams will be given there. My link in the first post will give you dates and locations of proctored exams.

Dan
MGWillia (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I did the online courses last year and then hit up the Moultonborough Police Station test. Real easy and I could do it at my leisure instead of giving up a whole Saturday.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
MGWillia (03-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Knomad

There are no classes or proctored exams scheduled this year in Gilford at Marine Patrol Headquarters, but there are still plenty of classes available in the area.

The on-line course and proctored exam is an good option for those people who like to study on there own time. The classroom option has the advantage of learning tips and local knowledge from instructors experienced in boating here in the Lakes Region.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ing-education/
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
Misty Blue

Default It Teach...

MGWilla:

Howdy!

I am a instructor for the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and am currently getting ready for the 2015 season.

I am qualified to teach the State course. What's more if you can get me at least five students, more would be better I will deliver the class to you if you can find an adequate space. I sometimes use the palatial Moultonborough training room at the police/fire station.

PM me and we can make arrangements.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
MDoug (03-16-2015), MGWillia (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
MGWillia

Default I don't think mine would count...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
MGWilla:

Howdy!

I am a instructor for the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and am currently getting ready for the 2015 season.

I am qualified to teach the State course. What's more if you can get me at least five students, more would be better I will deliver the class to you if you can find an adequate space. I sometimes use the palatial Moultonborough training room at the police/fire station.

Misty Blue
Thanks Misty Blue.

Don't have anyone but me... About 45 years ago, I did the Coast Guard Boater Safety Course. ( I was in Sea Explorers back in Mass. ) But I'm pretty sure, even if I could find the certificate, I've reached my statute of limitations on that one...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
DickR

Quote:
....My son is looking to keep one of his boats here all summer.
Oh, really? Given the high cost to be here on the lake, you oughta hit him up for some "support" to defray the cost so he, too, can live the good life here in prime season. Remind him of how many times you gave him a dry bottom when he was an itty bitty baby, right?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
MGWillia

Default Oh, he will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Oh, really? Given the high cost to be here on the lake, you oughta hit him up for some "support" to defray the cost so he, too, can live the good life here in prime season. Remind him of how many times you gave him a dry bottom when he was an itty bitty baby, right?
He will pay his own fees etc. But as I'm here during the times he isn't and the Grands want to spend some of the summer here and fish... Well, I guess I gotta get my sea legs back.. lol
Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
DickR

Quote:
He will pay his own fees etc. But as I'm here during the times he isn't and the Grands want to spend some of the summer here and fish... Well, I guess I gotta get my sea legs back.. lol
Oh, well, then. Trading "support" for "grandchildren rental" is indeed a very good trade, and you get the better end of the deal!
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
MGWillia (03-16-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
Paugus bay girl

I just finished my course online, took the test, got a 91, now I have to call them and schedule my written in person test, then I have my license for life! I don't own a boat, but if I ever do, or even want to rent a watercraft I'm authorized to drive it.
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paugus bay girl For This Useful Post:
SBC (05-25-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus bay girl View Post
I just finished my course online, took the test, got a 91, now I have to call them and schedule my written in person test, then I have my license for life! I don't own a boat, but if I ever do, or even want to rent a watercraft I'm authorized to drive it.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus bay girl View Post
It's always a good thing to have and the safety knowledge you gain from the course can be applied to other things besides boating. I took my written in Meredith, really easy, in and out. Good luck.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Take the class!

I strongly recommend that newer boaters take the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary course. It is typically a day long including the test at the end. The test given by either fulfills your testing requirement for your certificate.

Anyone reading this that truly does not know when they are the "stand on" or "give way" vessel should consider taking this class. My son, who could have passed the test, took the Power Squadron class and said he got a lot out of it.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
MGWilla:

Howdy!

Misty Blue
Hey Misty Blue you guys have a schedule yet for doing boat safety inspections at the various town docks for 2015? Please post when you do!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
Island Girl

Quote:
Thanks Misty Blue.

Don't have anyone but me... About 45 years ago, I did the Coast Guard Boater Safety Course. ( I was in Sea Explorers back in Mass. ) But I'm pretty sure, even if I could find the certificate, I've reached my statute of limitations on that one...
Did you check to see if that test was recognized in NH in lieu of the state test? I would still recommend the state class as our buoy system is very different from everywhere else.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I strongly recommend that newer boaters take the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary course. It is typically a day long including the test at the end. The test given by either fulfills your testing requirement for your certificate.

Anyone reading this that truly does not know when they are the "stand on" or "give way" vessel should consider taking this class. My son, who could have passed the test, took the Power Squadron class and said he got a lot out of it.
I am a member of the Power Squadron and I think anyone that takes the course will get so much out of it. Boater Safety is so important and getting a certificate is the law if the vessel you are driving is over 25HP. A vessel powered by more than 25HP may be operated by a person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. A ski craft may be operated only by persons who are 16 years or older who have a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The New Hampshire Safe Boater Education Certificate may be obtained by persons 16 years of age or older only and must be carried onboard.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #19
Knomad

There are still a couple of seats left in this Saturday's Moultonborough class put on by the NH Marine Patrol. There is also a proctored exam scheduled in Moultonborough next Friday evening.

Call 603-293-2037 or 888-254-2125 for a reservation.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

The Lakes Region Power Squadron has several dates for the NH Boater Safety Certificate course at the Moultonborough Library. All classes begin at 9am.

The dates are as follows:

1) Saturday June 27th

2) Saturday July 18th

3) Saturday August 8th

Please contact Bill at Heath's Hardware (603-253-4381) for more information.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #21
Misty Blue

Default Boating classes, etc.

Maxim:

The Power Squadrons do a great job. If anyone can make one to their classes, I would recommend it just like ours.

If you can get a few of your neighbors together at your docks I may be able to come to you for vessel exams, or for education for that matter.

I secured the aquatherms today!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote