Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
GTO

I have been looking to but an inexpensive outboard motor to use on my 10 ft aluminum boat for fishing. A neighbor said he was selling his mand we tried it this weekend and it worked great. We used it all day Sunday just driving it back and forth. My question is, its about 20 years old (2 stroke of course), Its a Mercury, 8 hp, looks to be in good shape and well maintained. He's asking $450. Is that a good price? It comes with a 6 gallon gas tank and a stand to put it on when not in use.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
fatlazyless

8hp is way too big for a ten foot aluminum boat. If it is really just ten feet and not twelve feet, probably best to go with a 2hp. For a 12' aluminum vee hull boat, a 4hp is usually used and sometimes a 6hp. It's not too hard to flip a 12' rowboat with a 6hp.

Best personal choice - stick with the oars and try a totally quiet and lightweight and inexpensive like $125. new, 36 lb thrust electric trollng motor from Wal-Mart! No gasoline, can be used as an assist to the oars which lets you sit in the middle of the boat which makes the boat a lot better balanced. A battery, battery storage box, and battery charger are needed.

Instead of smelling a stinky, noisey two stroke gas engine, it will be a totally 100% quiet electric, light weight, that starts easy.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
snowbird

Default Expensive, used outboard

First, I agree with Les. Second, Les himself purchased from me a 40 hp Tohatsu [which he later reported stolen, I think] for half the price you are considering-----and only 15 years old. This was a few years ago.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
secondcurve

GTO:

I purchased a brand new 2hp 4-stroke Honda last year from Melvin Village Marina for about $800 dollars. I have a 12 foot Jon Boat and this is the right motor for the boat. I wouldn't bring it out on Winnipesaukee, but it is perfect for the smaller ponds.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
GTO

Default I thought....

I thought the price was too steep for such an older motor. As far as the size, the tag on the boat says up to 10 hp so it should be able to handle that size engine, right? It is for a 14 year old who I'm sure will want to cruise around in it more than fishing. I have a trolling motor now for it but that can get boring real quick for a 14 year old..
Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Pineedles

Default $450

I agree the 8hp is too big, but I wonder about a buddy who would sell a 20 year old motor for the outrageous price of $450? If you go to this link it rates a 1987 8 hp Evinrude for $100. You might want to check out this site if you are considering buying a used motor.

http://www.nadaguides.com

I got the link from another forum member a couple of years ago and am glad to pass it along.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I thought the price was too steep for such an older motor. As far as the size, the tag on the boat says up to 10 hp so it should be able to handle that size engine, right? It is for a 14 year old who I'm sure will want to cruise around in it more than fishing. I have a trolling motor now for it but that can get boring real quick for a 14 year old..
Don't forget the boating certification requirements.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
Skip

Post Requirements for 14 year old....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
Don't forget the boating certification requirements.
Actually the youth will be legal to operate, as the motor is well under the 25 hp requirement that requires a certificate.

270:30 Minimum Age for Operation. – No person under 16 years of age shall operate a motorized vessel having power in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state unless the person is accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid safe boater education certificate, and such person shall be liable for personal injury or property damage which may result from such operation. Whoever violates this section shall be guilty of a violation.

and

270-D:10 Certificate Required. –
I. No person born on or after the dates provided in this section shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state without first obtaining a certificate of boating safety education in accordance with this subdivision:
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Bear Islander

I agree the HP is to high. You are better staying around 50% of the maximum HP rating for the boat, especially with a young operator. In a worst case scenario the motor suddenly turns 90 degrees and the thrust causes the boat rotate and capsize.

The price is way to high as well. Look for a four stroke, they run clean and quiet and start easy. No oil to mix.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Kamper

Since the boat is rated for 10, an 8HP will be fine.

Before deciding if the price is an accurate reflection of value you might want to look around for similiar sized motors. There may not be anything in your power-range near that price in which case $450 may not be too bad a price. My first impression is that it's probably high but not unreasonable.

In it's favor is the technology level. It will be much simpler to operate and maintain than many of the new designs. Unfortunatly it will probably be less efficient and parts will be getting harder to come by.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
ApS

Default Story time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
"...I thought the price was too steep for such an older motor. As far as the size, the tag on the boat says up to 10 hp so it should be able to handle that size engine, right? It is for a 14 year old who I'm sure will want to cruise around in it more than fishing..."
I was 14 when I was ejected—solo—from a 10-foot boat with a 7½-HP Evinrude.

Not even while doing any fancy manuvers!

I got launched over the gunwale so there was no injury, but the boat continued doing 360°s in place. I tried to catch the bow while wearing a sodden leather jacket—and no PFD. An old white 1920's Laker cruised to the rescue of both me and my boat. That Laker, which has a plumb bow, is still on the lake today. If you're reading this, "Thanks, old Laker!"

My dad was in Europe that summer, and my mom didn't know any better, so I later upgraded to a 15HP Johnson on the same boat!

So I'm in agreement with FLL, Bear Islander, and Pineedles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
"...the tag on the boat says up to 10 hp so it should be able to handle that size engine, right?
Ten horsepower is definitely marginal-to the high side. The tag should list its rated capacity. While a 10-foot boat may be adequate for parts of this lake, have you ever carried its rated capacity?

Three adults in a 12-footer is dicey—especially on weekends or in any strong winds—and a beamy 12-footer is going to be tag-rated for three adults.

A 12-foot aluminum boat I bought in Florida arrived with a 10-HP, which I downgraded to a 4-HP. It sipped gas, lost little in top speed, and was easier to clamp on and off while trailering and storing. Oh yes...I forgot...much easier to start.

The last 6-HP Evinrudes bought by me, my BIL, a CT friend, another friend here "across the way", and my neighbor cost less than $200 each, and are still running fine. That Merc's overpriced, even if used in fresh water only.

Last edited by ApS; 06-26-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Capacity, starting ease, added
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
pirkaus

http://www.smalloutboards.com/

Here is a good place to look.
pirkaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #13
HomeWood

We have a 6hp Evinrude on our 12 ft aluminum row boat up there
. It's an old "Arkansas Traveler" and it's not very wide. It zips right along and I personally think that 8hp would be fine. Is there a HP limit printed on the boat somewhere? I think that $300 would be in a better price range for that motor. Do a compression check before you even start to bargain.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Gatto Nero

Default Nice Neighbor

Sounds like your neighbor is trying to rip you off and maim your kid in one fell swoop. Better leave the dog inside.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
GTO

Default Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles

I agree the 8hp is too big, but I wonder about a buddy who would sell a 20 year old motor for the outrageous price of $450? If you go to this link it rates a 1987 8 hp Evinrude for $100. You might want to check out this site if you are considering buying a used motor.

http://www.nadaguides.com

I got the link from another forum member a couple of years ago and am glad to pass it along.
I said neighbor....not a buddy. And I have decided against that older motor (and that price) after reading everyones adventures and opinions. Thank everyone.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #16
dpg

I have a 5-9 year old Mercury (not positive this minute) two stroke barely ever used, I'm talking like maybe 25 hours tops. I want to say it's a 5 horse or do they make the 6 I'm sitting here at work and the motor's 120 miles away in Moultonborough.

Any who, I've been thinking about MAYBE selling it (not sure) I paid 950.00 for it and would also want around 400.00 anyone interested? Please do not PM me, just respond here as I would forget to check them anyways. I bought it for an aluminum boat which went back to Mass. (it really wasn't my boat anyways.) The motor's been doing alot of sitting around protected in a garage, basically it's brand new..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote