Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
bigdog

I have a problem which I believe is related to my "Trim Limit" switch on my 4.3L Mecruiser Sterndrive.

Just started up the boat for first time this season. Started engine on trailer
with my motor-muffs attached. I was able to put my sterndrive in the down position, using the "Power Trim" swtch on the throttle control handel.

Engine started right up ! HOORAY !

After I shut off engine, I tried to raise sterndrive, using same "Power Trim"
switch, however, the drive would not go up ? I tried to use the "trailer swich", and that did not work ? The "Power Trim", still seems to work,
bit only lowering sterndrive.

Any clues to over-ride this situation ? Now that the "trailer switch" doesn't raise the sterndrive, how can this be raised up ? Is there a main "fuse",
which controls all these actions?

FYI.... The "Trim Switch" and "Triler Swict" were working when I stored the boat for the winter.

Any information will be appreciated ! THANKS!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Dave R

Need to look at page 1c-14 of the Mercruiser #14 service manual.

See: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14c1.pdf

There's some good troubleshooting tips in chapter 1c and a wiring diagram for the trim on page 1c-16.

It can't be the fuse since the motor runs in the down mode.

If you need to transport the boat and must raise the drive, take the plastic covers and nuts off the trim cylinder stern ends to free the drive from the cylinders, lift the drive and strap it up with line or nylon straps. Alternatively, there's only a few more steps involved to pull the drive off the bellhousing now that the trim cylinders are loose (sure makes lubing the coupler a breeze)... See: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14a2.pdf

The entire manual is here: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14notice.pdf
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
MJM

One quick thing to try - check the level of the hydraulic fluid in the unit. We had a similar issue (the switches were working as we could hear the pump trying to raise it in our case) and found the level to be down. Filling it fixed the problem. Our theory is that while lowering, gravity is helping, so the low level of fluid was still sufficient. But to raise it, there just wasn't enough push.

Good luck!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
gtxrider

Default Any Luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog
I have a problem which I believe is related to my "Trim Limit" switch on my 4.3L Mecruiser Sterndrive.

Just started up the boat for first time this season. Started engine on trailer
with my motor-muffs attached. I was able to put my sterndrive in the down position, using the "Power Trim" swtch on the throttle control handel.

Engine started right up ! HOORAY !

After I shut off engine, I tried to raise sterndrive, using same "Power Trim"
switch, however, the drive would not go up ? I tried to use the "trailer swich", and that did not work ? The "Power Trim", still seems to work,
bit only lowering sterndrive.

Any clues to over-ride this situation ? Now that the "trailer switch" doesn't raise the sterndrive, how can this be raised up ? Is there a main "fuse",
which controls all these actions?

FYI.... The "Trim Switch" and "Triler Swict" were working when I stored the boat for the winter.

Any information will be appreciated ! THANKS!
Spoke to my father today and it looks like the 4WINNS has the same sort of trouble. I know he will be digging into this and it will drive him up the wall till he finds the cause. He does have a wiring diagram for the boat.

The boat has not been in the water since 2005.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Dave R

Wiring diagram for the boat won't help. This is a engine/drive issue so you'll need a diagram for your engine/drive. The link I posted above has a diagram for Mercruiser drives.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Just Sold

Default Same Problem But Easy Fix

My 89 Four Winns with an OMC Cobra out drive had the same problem last Fall on the last trip out. Propped up the stern for the winter in the rack and many thoughts incuding failed pump, low fluid etc over the winter. Simple problem...drive stuck in the down position......bad ground connection. Corrosion was the culprit. Simple 5 min. fix by Steve P at Fay's this spring. He is great. Now he gets a Turbo Coffee every time I see him!

Check for power going to pump and you may find none at one point where corrosion is the problem. I understand this can be a common problem if the boat is older.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
ghfromaltonbay

Default Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
My 89 Four Winns with an OMC Cobra out drive had the same problem last Fall on the last trip out. Check for power going to pump and you may find none at one point where corrosion is the problem. I understand this can be a common problem if the boat is older.
Our Four Winns is a 1987, so the cause of the problem may be the same. The boat was not in the water in 2006. Hopefully, my father can solve the problem before gtxrider arrives for Father's Day.

See you at the lake, JustSold!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Hottrucks

Look for the trim pump once you find it on the side of it there will be 2 round relays have someone hit the down trim button and listen to which one clicks the pump on..... motor need not be running..... the 2 relay are close together??? If I remember there is a green wire to one and a blue to the other relay....... the relay that didn't click is the up relay ( I think the culprit of your disease) if you jump with a screwdriver across the 2 terminals It's going to spark but it's ok ( you'll have to remove the plastic cove off them) it will raise your lower unit....

If this works you my try just switching out the relay your self ( not a big job) or you may just have bad conections on it..

Good luck and I hope this gets thru the moderators in time to help you

Jeff
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote