Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Seadoo

Default Red Marker in weirs channel

Going down the channel today there was a solid red marker in the middle of the channel by Thurstons Marina. What is this??
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
NHskier

Default Dislodged?

I was at Thurston's today and overheard some speculation that it had been dislodged and pushed by the fast current.

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
secondcurve

Think of it as a trick question on an examination!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default moved bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier
I was at Thurston's today and overheard some speculation that it had been dislodged and pushed by the fast current.

NHskier
Don't trust the bouys this time of year. The MP hasn't finished its spring replanting.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
ApS

I'll second Lakegeezer's caution.

Of the three in view from here, one was folded over during the winter, one had a foot chopped off the top last summer, and another (red) is missing.

When Lake Winnipesaukee markers were made of oak, they got a lot of respect.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Skip

Post Oak v. Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
...When Lake Winnipesaukee markers were made of oak, they got a lot of respect.
Actually the markers used in the Lake, and virtually all floating markers are made of pine. The specific density of pine averages about half that of the water it floats in, which helps ensure a marker floats upright appropriately.

Oak, especially the native oak in these parts, has a very high specific density approaching that of the water it would sit in, thereby the marker would have little or no chance of floating upright.

My recollection of boating on Winni the past 30 some years has been of pine markers. A quick check with the good folks at NHMP HQ confirmed that pine has been the wood of choice as long as they can recall.

By the way...a quick plug for the guys and gals at NHMP HQ. In the last few months I know that not only me, but several other acquaintances have had occasion to dial the Gilford number to get some info. The folks there have been great and always supplied the answers necessary!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
ApS

Red face Oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
"...Actually the markers used in the Lake, and virtually all floating markers are made of pine. The specific density of pine averages about half that of the water it floats in, which helps ensure a marker floats upright appropriately..."
'Should have figured that out myself.

The errant red spar that I pulled from the lake one April was unbelievably heavy. It required two of us, using a cable winch, to pull it from the lake. Ten years later, it's still sitting where we left it on shore.

Now that it has dried out, it is 'way too light to have been oak. When waterlogged, it would have been a formidable object to strike with a boat. (And still "respect-worthy").

Judging by the frequency of strike-marks on today's white plastic markers, one can understand why trying to defect one of these old wood markers with your boat would be a bad idea. (Especially at night )

It's been suggested—here—that the state's unique inland navigational marking system be replaced with the more conventional marking system of "can" and "nun" buoys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadoo
Going down the channel today there was a solid red marker in the middle of the channel by Thurstons Marina. What is this??
I know what you mean, but to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "Now this is a solid red marker."