Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Bizer

Default Garmin and Bizer

In June, 2015, Bizer started receiving emails that Bizer's data was not working on certain newer Garmin chartplotters.  Eventually, Bizer discovered that Garmin has started to block third-party charts from some of its GPS devices.  Bizer has contacted Garmin, but they are unconcerned about the fact that many boaters want Bizer accuracy.  Garmin has convinced themselves that Garmin's LakeVu product is quite good despite the fact that they show no rocks in Winnipesaukee, and they are missing buoys added/moved since 2004. 
So far, it appears that Garmin's blocking only applies to new models manufactured in 2015.  Thanks to one Bizer customer who tested Bizer software at West Marine, it appears that the following Garmins will not accept Bizer data:

• EchoMap models (model numbers usually end in "DV")
  • GPSMAP 7000 series (e.g. model 7607)

This same customer determined that Bizer's map of Winnipesaukee did work on the following models:

• 840xx models
  • 1040xx models
  • 741x models
  • Montana

It appears that any Garmin GPS that was manufactured prior to 2015 will accept Bizer's data. 

If you are contemplating the purchase of a Garmin GPS and would like Bizer's map in that GPS, you should contact Garmin to ascertain whether the model you are considering blocks third-party maps.  If you go to Bizer's Garmin web page (www.bizer.com/garmin), there is a procedure you can use to create an SD or MicroSD card to test any Garmin GPS yourself.

In the absence of any testing, Bizer suggests that you consider a Standard Horizon chartplotter with C-Map charts licensed from Bizer. Since the boating season is almost over, you might want to wait until 2016 to make a decision.

Separately: When Bizer learned of this, Bizer purchased Garmin's LakeVu for our Garmin Montana. It appears that they copied much of Bizer's depth data from an older Bizer chart (rocks that Bizer discovered since 2004 do not appear as shallow areas on LakeVu). If you have Garmin's LakeVu and purchased it between 2009 and 2013, we'd like to hear from you. We'll ask you to send us a few screen shots. Email maps@bizer.com.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Email sent--might also be good to know what we consumers might do to express our displeasure about being locked down.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
DesertDweller

Out of curiosity, have you looked at the LakeVu Ultra HD chip? I have one which I have only messed around with for a few minutes. Was told Winnipesaukee was one of the maximum definition lakes so I ended up getting it. Got a $100 rebate because I bought it at the same time I bought my 53DV so figured it was worth a shot.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default Industry move...

Recently saw on Navionics site that Lowrance software upgrades, and presumably new units, no longer record the data Navionics need to make map updates from user recorded data. Seems to me Lowrance, who has their own maps for sale, wants to freeze out Navionics. This sounds very similar to me. I would guess the hardware companies decided they wanted the software revenue to themselves. This sets up a convenient "market" for the hardware makers. "Buy a unit from us, and, if you dont like the built in maps, you HAVE to buy upgraded maps but only from us." This is close to an anti-competitiveness situation. As it is I have top of the line Navionics map (for Lowrance) and Lakemaster map (for Humminbird). While I favor Lowrance a bit over Humminbird, the Lowrance Lake Insight maps appear to be useless for Winni and I wont be able to update my Navionics so new units will be Humminbirds as their Lakemaster maps are far far better with depth info than the other two. Ive found Navionics & Lakemaster have pretty good buoy locations but I would not trust Navionics for depth or rock locations compared to the superior Lakemaster map. I carry Bizer paper on board but only use in checking out new areas. I would however pay a pretty penny to have Bizer on my nav unit, currently a Lowrance. Technically it would take a C-map but its way too confusing to figure out which version of C-map bizer is on vs which versions of C-map my Lowrance accepts. And then theres the possibility Lowrance drops C-map. Arrrrgh...
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
HellRaZoR004

This popped up a few weeks back, might be the same person that contacted you.

I have the Montana that was bought before the change. The only reason I bought it was to use on the snowmobile with Backwoods GPS maps.

Confirming the change is very discouraging. Are you exploring legal options?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Rich

Thanks for this important information.

For the models that are currently working, do you know if they update the firmware will it then lock out Bizer or will they continue to allow third party maps to work OK?

I would think if they lock out third party charts, Garmin will kill many future sales of unit such as the Montana because units like this are attractive because of the wide third party specialty map support.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks for this important information.

For the models that are currently working, do you know if they update the firmware will it then lock out Bizer or will they continue to allow third party maps to work OK?

I would think if they lock out third party charts, Garmin will kill many future sales of unit such as the Montana because units like this are attractive because of the wide third party specialty map support.
My understanding based on reading other sites is once you do an upgrade to the firmware (4.20 or something(?)) it will take affect. I'm not about to be a Guinea pig to find out though.

I was digging around last night to see if you could downgrade the device to the last known working FW but that took my down a rat hole. I'll keep looking..

Another thing to note is it appears to stem from a dispute with Navionics.
http://www.navionics.com/en/compatib...armin-plotters
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

What I find interesting is that Garmin was pushing the update hard when I spoke to them about an issue a couple months ago.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
DesertDweller

This reminds me a lot of Apple and Android apps. If you want to play in Apple's sandbox you have to go through them and their testing/approval process (and they get paid for it). Android is more open.

Garmin has historically always allowed third party mapping but they have stopped doing that. They want to sell their maps and/or enter into some kind of licensing agreement. It's a business decision and a lot of people probably aren't going to be especially happy about it. They will likely continue this practice unless enough people stop buying their units because of this issue.

I have also read of the Garmin and Navionics issues similar to this. Thought they were getting things worked out though.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote