Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
depasseg

Default Umm, Hi there!

So I was anchored what I thought was roughly 150' off shore and a boat came by a couple times passing between me and the shore. I tried a horn, whistling, waving my arms, but nothing got his attention. So I shot a video for posterity. Can't see any reg #'s so hopefully it's ok to post the video.

https://youtu.be/ZDtp85OZWLk

2 questions:
1) best guess, how far do you think I was from shore (see youtube video)
2) How to you get the attention of passing boats (I'm liking the idea of a paintball gun to "brand" boats)?

Last edited by depasseg; 08-12-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: clarity on reg #'s
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
noreast

I generally don't care to much about boats passing to close. Most of the time there's a reason, or there going slow and careful, But just today 2 different water skiers did that same thing to me. More Importantly they were within 30' of shore constantly. One was a middle aged guy towing a young child. Also there were a few jackasses going by me at about 50 within 20' when there wasn't much traffic, So plenty of room to stay away. The docks were taking a beating from the skiers. I just watched the video, that looks like one of them. Were you near Little Bear?

Last edited by noreast; 08-12-2015 at 07:36 PM.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
paintitredinHC

Default You are about 250' from shore there

Seeing that you are in the cove I actually live in I'm pretty confident I know exactly where you were. I agree that he may have been passing a little too close from a legal perspective. I'm not much of a stickler for the 150' rule but it would certainly be an issue if you had swimmers in the water. But I have to tell you, I hate when boats drop anchor right there. You are basically in the channel between the red marker and glines island. It would be better if you anchored closer to the island. Of course, you're free to anchor wherever you please, but just be cognizant of main channels before you throw the hook...
paintitredinHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
depasseg

Good eye. That was Glines. But I wasn't anywhere near the red top. The marker was more than twice the distance behind the other boat at the beginning of the video. I was around Glines towards the no wake area. Agree I could have been closer to the island, but until I saw that skier go though, I didn't know if there were any hazards.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
rowinghelmet

Ski ropes are around 75ft. So figure 150ft is two ski ropes. Based on that he looks close to you, but not insanely close. It's hard to tell because there's no point of reference in video when he passes by.

When you go to Wolfeboro there's a 150ft buoy near the town docks. It's a lot less than most people think.

As another posted said, please consider anchoring closer to shore. So many people anchor in our bay in a way that obstructs navigation and makes it difficult to ski.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rowinghelmet For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (08-13-2015), thinkxingu (08-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowinghelmet View Post
As another posted said, please consider anchoring closer to shore. So many people anchor in our bay in a way that obstructs navigation and makes it difficult to ski.
As a new boater, I just learned this--it's better to be a bit closer to shore to let water sports boats and traffic pass through. We actually realized our anchor had pulled a bit last week while behind Joe's Island and were practically in the middle of the channel. Didn't notice until a boat towing a skier came by--sorry if it was someone here!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
Good eye. That was Glines. But I wasn't anywhere near the red top. The marker was more than twice the distance behind the other boat at the beginning of the video. I was around Glines towards the no wake area. Agree I could have been closer to the island, but until I saw that skier go though, I didn't know if there were any hazards.
You were the only hazard that I could see in that video!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
znh

Looks like me at Blueberry Island last Friday afternoon looking for the eagles. I wasn't anchored but just sitting north of the island away from the markers, some water skier kept cutting right in front of me, cutting through the channel on the western side, they obviously knew where they were because this isn't really the place to be zipping around unless you have good knowledge of the area...but nobody was out there, so much open room in the waters south of the islands but they kept circling the island over and over...odd behavior IMO...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Monday night

It was a beautiful night! We cruise from Lakeport to Alton for Pop's food and the violinist / keyboard duo was great entertainment. We left for a sunset cruise down Alton Bay. It was dark when we hit the area between Lockes and Welch Island. The moon was under the clouds, but I sense a shadow on the lake. I slowed down and actually bumped a kayaker! The 50+ gentleman was cursing me to slow down and that there was a speed limit on the lake! Good thing I was off plane. He denied that he needs some kind of light and judging from his speech, a little imbibed. I called the marine patrol and they claimed they will be there in 15 minutes. The MP HQ is only 5 minutes out so they must be busy.

Since he refused any help and was pretty POed. I kind of drifted off his stern as he continued his way to Lockes area. No MP. Eventually he is next to the island, so I continue back to port.

Be vigilant out there!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Looks roughly about 150 ft.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
It was a beautiful night! We cruise from Lakeport to Alton for Pop's food and the violinist / keyboard duo was great entertainment. We left for a sunset cruise down Alton Bay. It was dark when we hit the area between Lockes and Welch Island. The moon was under the clouds, but I sense a shadow on the lake. I slowed down and actually bumped a kayaker! The 50+ gentleman was cursing me to slow down and that there was a speed limit on the lake! Good thing I was off plane. He denied that he needs some kind of light and judging from his speech, a little imbibed. I called the marine patrol and they claimed they will be there in 15 minutes. The MP HQ is only 5 minutes out so they must be busy.

Since he refused any help and was pretty POed. I kind of drifted off his stern as he continued his way to Lockes area. No MP. Eventually he is next to the island, so I continue back to port.

Be vigilant out there!
Are you kidding or what?? What time did this occur? Very lucky indeed!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowinghelmet View Post
So many people anchor in our bay in a way that obstructs navigation and makes it difficult to ski.
You mean "our", as in the entire public, right? :-)

I should have pointed out that before I anchored, I watched the other folks skiing in circles and moved well out of the loop they were driving in.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Are you kidding or what?? What time did this occur? Very lucky indeed!!!
I would say about 9:30 - 10 PM when it was pitch dark after sunset.

While I stop to wait for the kayaker to safely be on/near shore or MP, whichever came first, I was hoping to see the meteor shower, unfortunately it was too cloudy!

Looks like I miss the nude boater off of Pendleton, I choose the Eagle Island route. I can see why the MP did not show.

Lots of lunatics out that night!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
ursa minor

Quote:

Be vigilant out there!
This is every night time boaters worst nightmare. Well done to see him and keep your cool, I'm not sure I would have been able to.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
This is every night time boaters worst nightmare. Well done to see him and keep your cool, I'm not sure I would have been able to.
It happens a number of times through the years. Got to the point I was able to calm the pounding heart.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #16
dpg

I don't see the issue...Yeah I realize "the law's the law" but still...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #17
rick35

Quote:
I would say about 9:30 - 10 PM when it was pitch dark after sunset.

While I stop to wait for the kayaker to safely be on/near shore or MP, whichever came first, I was hoping to see the meteor shower, unfortunately it was too cloudy!

Looks like I miss the nude boater off of Pendleton, I choose the Eagle Island route. I can see why the MP did not show.

Lots of lunatics out that night!
BH, do you think he was was hoping to see the meteor shower too? No lights is dumb. He had to be plastered to try that on a cloudy night. But he almost saw stars!
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote